2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

If we get Bear Alexander, it's because he wants to join a great program to develop as a player and man.

If we do not, he's a bag-chasing loser who will never amount to anything.

Simple.

Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

I wonder how much he's made already in college? 
It's actually quite the scam considering he's only mediocre to slightly above average. 

Including that badass apt he has in LA, cash, maybe a car? It’s got to be close to a million or 2. Unless usc was retarded for a Georgia player and gave more.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Texas native, tore it up in the PAC 12 the past 2 years. I need. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Better than any RB on our roster and has 2 years of stats against P5 comp to back it up. No one we currently have can say that. 

Unless someone confirms that they’ve met Helobious in real life, then these two posts confirm that the Helobious account is satire. There is no way there is someone this dumb on the internet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If we get Bear Alexander, it's because he wants to join a great program to develop as a player and man.

If we do not, he's a bag-chasing loser who will never amount to anything.

Simple.

While this is correct, my personal opinion is going to remain that going after this guy and giving him money is stupid. The new USC defensive staff came in and took a similar approach to Elko. The first guys that decided that the rough stuff wasn’t for them included Alexander. Friends with good access to opinions from the USC end have already confirmed that the USC view is “good riddance and not worth the fucking money”.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are multiple posters on OTF speculating that maybe there are other reasons besides NIL for why Alexander is in the portal. I imagine it’s worse on the other boards. I want to laugh at their idiocy and then cry for the planet’s future. 

All this talk about the importance of team culture and I remember you saying there were certain programs that Sark wouldn’t even entertain a transfer from. Both Jimbo and Riley led programs had to be on the nonstarter list…

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Well I'm sure he's entering to find a quality program fit first and foremost:

Oregon State, who is going to end up playing in the Southeast Alaska Community College Conference, is able to pay a RB $400k? Obviously I have not been paying enough attention because that number seems absurd to me. 

14 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

All this talk about the importance of team culture and I remember you saying there were certain programs that Sark wouldn’t even entertain a transfer from. Both Jimbo and Riley led programs had to be on the nonstarter list…

So if Aaron Donald attended A&M under Jimbo, then we wouldn't be interested? I know nothing about the football culture at Pittsburgh, but I would have to think that some players can rise above shit cultures.

I’m as surprised as anyone that we’d kick the tires on Bear, but you gotta assume it says a lot more about how our coaches feel about the current DT depth than it does about Bear himself. Even amidst the torrential flow of Kool-Aid from Bobby this spring, the DT updates have been more like:

The Arizona guy has been a huge addition, as he tends to get blown off the ball the least of all these guys. Sydir Mitchell continues to work his way back from a really gnarly hangnail that has limited him in the spring.

In completely unrelated news, the running game looked incredible in the scrimmage portion of practice!!

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So if Aaron Donald attended A&M under Jimbo, then we wouldn't be interested? I know nothing about the football culture at Pittsburgh, but I would have to think that some players can rise above shit cultures.

Has anything about Bear suggested he’s interested in rising above it? I get going to Georgia out of high school. Then flirting with A&M before picking USC certainly suggests a certain type of program he’s interested in. Now on the list along with us is Colorado? He seems to favor the spotlight over the gridiron. Maybe it’s what @tokamak just said and the interior dline situation is that bad. 

F it, DT is one of the most important positions especially now in year 1 of the SEC. If Broughton, Bryant, Bledsoe etc are not good enough, might as well get a mercenary rental in Bear Alexander. If his attitude sucks Sark can cut him. 

John Lynch and Shanahan prioritize the DL over any other position group and the results are there.

14 hours ago, D3zii said:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

it's Helobious, it's probably something dumb like he thinks that our RB room sucks

14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Better than any RB on our roster and has 2 years of stats against P5 comp to back it up. No one we currently have can say that. 

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

oh man, this article from Feb on Martinez is aging really bad. feel terrible for OSU

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2024/02/oregon-states-trent-bray-on-recruiting-the-transfer-portal-damien-martinezs-loyalty-and-nil.html

Oregon State’s Trent Bray on recruiting, the transfer portal, Damien Martinez’s loyalty and NIL

the Martinez bit

DAMIEN MARTINEZ’S LOYALTY

Oregon State star running back Damien Martinez did the unthinkable after Smith bailed for Michigan State.

He stuck around.

As teammates were bolting for the portal and conference realignment was threatening the Beavers’ foundation, the two-time all-Pac-12 first-team selection decided to remain at Oregon State and stay true to a pledge he made before Smith left. The loyalty has been invaluable for Bray and the immediate future of the program.

“It’s unbelievable,” Bray said. “Like, it’s everything. On a professional level, when you’re trying to do a job and a guy like that sticks around. But also on a personal level. It’s refreshing to see a guy not be bought by some other team.”

And make no mistake, teams tried to buy Martinez.

A source told The Oregonian/OregonLive in November that programs had been using back channels to try to entice Martinez to leave after the season, dangling lucrative NIL deals in front of him as a carrot. But he ignored the offers — which came even though he never entered the portal — and stayed committed to the school that believed in him when he was a lightly recruited high school player in Texas.

In the end, Martinez had more loyalty than the coach who signed him.

“There were plenty of teams that offered him a bunch to leave,” Bray said. “So it’s just refreshing. He’s a great guy to lean on to show what you want this place to be. That’s the type of guy we want and what this place is all about. It’s been great.”

Martinez said he never judged any of his old teammates for leaving, but he felt like he had to stay with Bray and help the coach continue the momentum “we’ve built the last two years.”

“Everyone had their own reason to leave,” Martinez said. “We were all in different situations, so everyone had their choices. I couldn’t do nothing but support those guys, because we’re chasing a dream and taking the steps — whatever they may be — to reach those dreams and goals.”

this is the money quote, which really makes him look like a true piece of shit

Martinez said he never judged any of his old teammates for leaving, but he felt like he had to stay with Bray and help the coach continue the momentum “we’ve built the last two years.”

“Everyone had their own reason to leave,” Martinez said. “We were all in different situations, so everyone had their choices. I couldn’t do nothing but support those guys, because we’re chasing a dream and taking the steps — whatever they may be — to reach those dreams and goals.”

Edited by NoName

23 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

Unless they are our mercenary shitheels. 

The more I think about it and I hate myself for thinking about it but if this was 2-3 years ago....hell no on Bear. But I think the team is in a good enough position from leadership perspective that it can overcome a shithead like Bear because Bear is pretty damn good talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The more I think about it and I hate myself for thinking about it but if this was 2-3 years ago....hell no on Bear. But I think the team is in a good enough position from leadership perspective that it can overcome a shithead like Bear because Bear is pretty damn good talent.

Except he hates actually practicing. We've seen that number before.

Helobious would fire Steve Sarkisian for Art Briles if Briles last name had been Bautista. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, tokamak said:

Oregon State, who is going to end up playing in the Southeast Alaska Community College Conference, is able to pay a RB $400k? Obviously I have not been paying enough attention because that number seems absurd to me. 

Lotta Reser's potato salad money up there..

Edited by Tylerocks
  • Like 1

I'd feel a little better about it if Bo Davis really wanted Bear, idk enough about Brandon Baker to have the same confidence. Two high profile programs so far, not much production.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Except he hates actually practicing. We've seen that number before.

Helobious would fire Steve Sarkisian for Art Briles if Briles last name had been Bautista. 

My most hated athlete of all-time is David Ortiz fwiw. I can be objective. I’ve known of Martinez since he was a recruit because of his status as a homie, but I mean he’s done nothing but show out at the P5 level. Thought it’d be worth it to bring him in since he’s at the top of his game, vs our current RB’s who while talented are still growing/learning. But fuck me I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Okcool said:

Speak of the devil, here's the latest. Sounds like a done deal.

Screenshot2024-04-10at8_40_13AM.thumb.png.2ce305f23025e8db4d186e5428e3e086.png

Weird way to close the post. Why would the opinions of Texas HS Football coaches be the first thing you feel you need to address when discussing how that would impact Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton? I guess the inference is that the strong source is a Texas HS Football coach? 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Weird way to close the post. Why would the opinions of Texas HS Football coaches be the first thing you feel you need to address when discussing how that would impact Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton? I guess the inference is that the strong source is a Texas HS Football coach? 

The guy who wrote it is

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

My most hated athlete of all-time is David Ortiz fwiw. I can be objective. I’ve known of Martinez since he was a recruit because of his status as a homie, but I mean he’s done nothing but show out at the P5 level. Thought it’d be worth it to bring him in since he’s at the top of his game, vs our current RB’s who while talented are still growing/learning. But fuck me I guess. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Okcool said:

Speak of the devil, here's the latest. @closetojumping was right. It's apparently a done deal.

Screenshot2024-04-10at8_40_13AM.thumb.png.2ce305f23025e8db4d186e5428e3e086.png

Has TFB even been really plugged into Texas recently? I knew they had pretty good sources back when Herman was here but, I haven’t seen them referenced lately with Texas under Sark and especially since CJ has join Bobby at OTF.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.