Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

35 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I don't know about later in the year, but when I do my long rides on weekend mornings, they feel like a walk in the park comparatively.

Come to think of it, riding in the cold kind of sucks too.

Yeah, cold with a headwind suuucks.  I'll take heat and just go earlier.   Moving from Houston to Austin I found bike riding was an adjustment when I had to factor in hills and wind versus flat and flat.  

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

A friend in Las Vegas posted this just now….

93E6ACDD-9033-41B3-B8B0-99CC6BB17578.jpeg

It rained pretty much off and on all day Friday and Saturday. So pleasant. No one knew how to handle it. We didn't. Been there 15 - 20 times during the summer months and never had a situation where it was cooler there (much) than in Austin.

Not sure how heavy things got Sunday as we got out early that morning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

This doesn't make any sense at all. Are your kids not in school? That was the biggest socialization issue during covid. Also, get the phone numbers of other parents in your hood and arrange times for the kids to either play at your house or theirs. Just because they don't want to play outside on the weekends or after school doesn't mean their socialization skills are suffering. These are things that everyone has dealt with our entire lives, whether it be due to the heat in the south or the winters in the north. 

yeah, they're in school.  I was just thinking about the actual 'summer break' not meteorlogical summer.  Yes, winters can be tough but they're only outta school for two weeks.  Summer break is 12 weeks.  We stacked a buncha stuff, but 12 weeks of gut-wrenching, incessant heat out of school is completely different (IMO) than 12 days of Christmas break.  Yeah, we froze our asses off growing up from Thanksgiving to Spring Break but we were in school and sports.  26 May to 16 August for kids who are young and not still doing full-time sports camps 'n shit is brutal.  We still filled the time and couple years from now, they'll be off doing sleepaway camp and volleyball travel or whatever.  But for someone who is just now having a baby and looking at 5-10 years of that kid at home for 12 weeks every summer with no school or outside play because of heatstroke, that's gotta be a bummer.  I guess there's year-around daycare, but I ain't white like y'all so I don't really know how that works.  Anyway, just ventin' on the venting thread.  They're tougher than we give 'em credit for.  We just found ourselves thinking, "Shit, the 2020 summer of Covid was more social and fun than this one was and we didn't do anything."  They're super happy to be back at school and even had to wear long sleeves because the new HVAC system our bond money paid for is so chilly.  Must be nice.  Texas is so fucked in the long run though.  And we don't even see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UT_OB1 said:

South side of houston. Nice and cloudy. Not even 90 yet. Says the clouds clear out in an hour or two and we hit 92. I love fall weather. 

Brrrr!!!

White Girl Coffee GIF by Trey Kennedy

I already told my Dad, who’ll be one of the “honorees” during pregame on 9/2, that my wife and I wouldn’t be attending. The only tickets that I could get were in the NE Upper or East side, so I told him we’d not be there personally.

Thank you to CDC and/or UT Admins, as they are actually putting them within suites on the South or West side, after going on the field for their pre-game recognition, as a majority of them are 80+ in age. At least putting them in the AC is the right thing to do! Of course that is “limited access”, as it’ll be Dad and my Step-Mom.

I’ll appreciate any pictures of the “big board” anyone can post here, of the ‘63 Team, after 9/2!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I already told my Dad, who’ll be one of the “honorees” during pregame on 9/2, that my wife and I wouldn’t be attending. The only tickets that I could get were in the NE Upper or East side, so I told him we’d not be there personally.

Thank you to CDC and/or UT Admins, as they are actually putting them within suites on the South or West side, after going on the field for their pre-game recognition, as a majority of them are 80+ in age. At least putting them in the AC is the right thing to do! Of course that is “limited access”, as it’ll be Dad and my Step-Mom.

I’ll appreciate any pictures of the “big board” anyone can post here, of the ‘63 Team, after 9/2!

Hook’em!!!

Check your PMs

Seems like we might as well set up the placeholder "Blastfurnace 2024" thread soon.
Also....what do y'all think the over/under date is on our last 100 degree day this year?  I'm pitching October 12th.
Also, what do y'all think the over/under date is for our last 90+ degree day this year?  I'm thinking November 25th (Saturday after T-giving).  We'll have some cool downs before then, but in between, we'll spike back up.
This "new normal" shit just fucking sucks.  My weekends fucking suck, because I can only do shit outside for a couple of hours each day.  Otherwise, I have to plan indoor tasks and activities.  At least when CFB starts back up, I'll be able to spend a few hours on Saturdays watching football.   I really am starting to understand the dead-of-winter cabin fever people in goddamned Saskatchewan feel when it's gray, snowy, and ass-freezing below zero cold for 90 days straight, so they really can only go out if it's a special purpose and they're fully geared up.

My prediction: never. I believe the new normal will be winters of 100-110, spring and fall 105-115, and summer 115-150. I’m looking for a cavern to live inZ
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, YGIFS said:

yeah, they're in school.  I was just thinking about the actual 'summer break' not meteorlogical summer.  Yes, winters can be tough but they're only outta school for two weeks.  Summer break is 12 weeks.  We stacked a buncha stuff, but 12 weeks of gut-wrenching, incessant heat out of school is completely different (IMO) than 12 days of Christmas break.  Yeah, we froze our asses off growing up from Thanksgiving to Spring Break but we were in school and sports.  26 May to 16 August for kids who are young and not still doing full-time sports camps 'n shit is brutal.  We still filled the time and couple years from now, they'll be off doing sleepaway camp and volleyball travel or whatever.  But for someone who is just now having a baby and looking at 5-10 years of that kid at home for 12 weeks every summer with no school or outside play because of heatstroke, that's gotta be a bummer.  I guess there's year-around daycare, but I ain't white like y'all so I don't really know how that works.  Anyway, just ventin' on the venting thread.  They're tougher than we give 'em credit for.  We just found ourselves thinking, "Shit, the 2020 summer of Covid was more social and fun than this one was and we didn't do anything."  They're super happy to be back at school and even had to wear long sleeves because the new HVAC system our bond money paid for is so chilly.  Must be nice.  Texas is so fucked in the long run though.  And we don't even see it.

Dude, we take our soon to be 3 and soon to be 2 year old outside for at least an hour every day.  9-10am, 7-8pm is not a bad time.  

We take them to indoor activity places that are close by.  Their friends are there.  They jump, run, climb and do other activites

It's not that fucking hard to have an imagination, or a plan.  Apparently histrionics is a better plan in your house.  

We did plenty with 'em.  Just wish there were more kids outside is all, but temps suck-hence the thread.  We were outside from 7am-10am everyday.  And then swim lessons at 6:00p.  They'll be old enough to have full slates next summer.   This summer was just rough because they each only had like 2 or 3 activities a week plus a couple playdates.  Good news is they were eager to start school and see friends all day instead of just a couple hours every other day.  A lotta folks don't have the work luxury to take their young ones to indoor play places during the workweek on summer break.  We forget about that.  It was a grueling 12 weeks and wife and I both have multiple gigs and couldn't just drive them around to air-conditioned play dates with white people.  The summer sucked for multiple reasons-hence the thread.  And it doesn't look like it's going anywhere for another month or so-hence the thread.  Thanks as always for the parenting advice.  Was just a venting about lack of A/C venting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Dude, we take our soon to be 3 and soon to be 2 year old outside for at least an hour every day.  9-10am, 7-8pm is not a bad time.  

23 hours indoors, one hour in the yard. Where have I heard something like that?

32 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Looks like ass for everyone except the Northeast, PNW, and parts of midwest.  JFC

When I see a selective color scheme on charts that produces this I have to shake my head.  I'd pay for temps like this right now, heck year round, but by color it looks like we are melting.  65? burn... 81? damn turn up the A/C.  Half that chart should be showing whatever color they have picked for ideal August temps.

image.png.f2e75462229576e7b6cf29800ee23d7c.png

Not sure what channel was on this morning but it wasn't Yeomans, I know his voice well.  But he said, "Just one more week until the meteorological end of Summer."  I am going to find this man and beat him to death with the Sun.  Sep. 1st means absolutely jackshit in Texas.  End of Summer for parents and young kids is first day of school.  Even the Equinox doesn't mean all that much here.  I'd day Sep. 30th, at best.  

And then friend's blogs and newsletters on UT football are starting to trickle in here as the Weekend Zero starts up shortly.  And the same opening cliches, "It's almost Fall, which means Longhorn football my friends.  Looking forward to Sept. 2nd with three generations of our family in the stands."  Watching your octogenarian parents burst into flames at 3:30p in the afternoon?  Sounds like a great time.  For the 80% of fans not in the shade or clubs for kick-off, ambient real feel temp will be ~110+ degrees.  

• Rage+1 1

Ain't my summer.  I'm not the one going around torching lawns.  Well, I did that one year but statute of limitations ran out on it.  

Just seemed like an odd thing to talk about when the next story was about wildfire risks in the area.  

Seemed like growing up, "What are you doing for Labor Day" was a fun question to answer.  Now the response is, "staying inside and trying not to die"  

Just salty because our nice monterrey oaks out back, we lost one to the freeze in 2021.  The others are doing well but just in the last week, another one started getting unhealthy and high up branches were browning leaves and getting brittle.  So I'm getting up a couple times a night on watering days (including early this morning) to move soaker hoses around it to account for undulation to keep it hydrated and I couldn't fall back asleep.  Between the extreme heat, extreme cold/freezes, and extreme draught...we've probably lost 20 trees in the last few years.  Happens all the time in Texas, but the rate in my neighborhoods neck of the woods seems to be getting much worse.  We had a HOA meeting yesterday about Oak Wilt because half the dipshits just hire crews to prune and don't tell them to paint the cuts, plus the extreme heat, recipe for disaster.  Well one guy sitting on the last empty lot in our whole 'hood, refuses to treat the Oak Wilt that our arborist traced back to his empty lot and immediately brought in an attorney to deal with the requests he clean up his shit.  'Cause yeah, in the worst summer in Texas history...lawyers are what we need more of.  Fucking asshats.  Where's the tylenol?  

Edited by YGIFS

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I'm laying down a marker, so get your mocking gifs ready and bookmark this post to shame later.

The next 100 hours or so will be the hottest stretch of the remainder of the year for Houston, and today, Thursday 8/24, will be the hottest day until next Summer. 

I will owe you the drink of your choice if this is true.