What the Fuck is Wrong with you, Orcas?

A-Tex Devil

On 6/23/2023 at 10:37 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Half of these new claims are probably all an elaborate insurance scam. 

I worked on an insurance claim for "business interruption" attributable to hurricane damage to an offshore platform, that included damages to wells that were never drilled. Even though it was a cut and dry issue in my mind, the attorneys advised that the insurance brokers would never testify to support that position. The brokers "earned" $300-$400,000 commissions for those policies, and would never jeopardize their gravy train by taking an adverse position with the clients. The kinda job you have to be born into.

On 6/24/2023 at 11:26 AM, Kennythetiger said:

Leave the planet, travel to deepest part of the sea... Um . About that second one…. 

He did say travel to... nothing about coming back.

• 3 months later...

Lots of jokes but the oceans are beyond stressed from pH to temperature to plastics the oceans are turbo fucked. They are irritated and hungry. They are the apex predator so they are lashing out. Put it in the “Duh” category. It’s sad, predictable and reversible, but we don’t give a shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

Lots of jokes but the oceans are beyond stressed from pH to temperature to plastics the oceans are turbo fucked. They are irritated and hungry. They are the apex predator so they are lashing out. Put it in the “Duh” category. It’s sad, predictable and reversible, but we don’t give a shit.

Not disagreeing about the ocean issues, but orcas have always been this way.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, landman said:

Not disagreeing about the ocean issues, but orcas have always been this way.

Frequency and severity has increased if the articles I’ve read over the last few years are to be considered. 

Edited by troph

10 hours ago, troph said:

Lots of jokes but the oceans are beyond stressed from pH to temperature to plastics the oceans are turbo fucked. They are irritated and hungry. They are the apex predator so they are lashing out..

sea.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah I don't think that's how that works.

Orcas have always fucked shit up.

It's not likely that orcas' brains are changing on an anatomical level, said Josh McInnes, a marine ecologist who studies orcas at the University of British Columbia. "Behavioral change can influence anatomical change in an animal or a population" — but only over thousands of years of evolution, McInnes told Live Science. 

But orcas are fast learners, which means they can and do teach each other some terrifying tricks, and thus become "smarter" as a group. Still, some of these seemingly new tricks may in fact be age-old behaviors that humans are only documenting now. And just like in humans, some of these learned behaviors become trends, ebbing and flowing in social waves. 

They are highly intelligent, adaptable predators just like humans are. I don't think they're upset about the alkalinity of the water and killing sharks out of protest.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm trying to find it and will post it if I do, but about 10 years ago there was a show on during shark week (I think) that was about great whites that had a segment on orcas killing great whites by holding them tipped over and drowning them.  The show also talked about how other great whites could sense what happened and basically all vanished from the area because they knew they were turbofucked if they ran into that orca pod.  Off the coast of Southern California I believe. 

• Like 1

Here is the story the tv show told referenced on Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_white_shark#Natural_threats

Interspecific competition between the great white shark and the orca is probable in regions where dietary preferences of both species may overlap.[127] An incident was documented on 4 October 1997, in the Farallon Islands off California in the United States. An estimated 4.7–5.3 m (15–17 ft) female orca immobilized an estimated 3–4 m (9.8–13.1 ft) great white shark.[149] The orca held the shark upside down to induce tonic immobility and kept the shark still for fifteen minutes, causing it to suffocate. The orca then proceeded to eat the dead shark's liver.[127][149][150] It is believed that the scent of the slain shark's carcass caused all the great whites in the region to flee, forfeiting an opportunity for a great seasonal feed. Another similar attack apparently occurred there in 2000, but its outcome is not clear.[151] After both attacks, the local population of about 100 great whites vanished.[150][151] Following the 2000 incident, a great white with a satellite tag was found to have immediately submerged to a depth of 500 m (1,600 ft) and swum to Hawaii.[151]

• Like 1

Just now, Incredulity said:

I'm trying to find it and will post it if I do, but about 10 years ago there was a show on during shark week (I think) that was about great whites that had a segment on orcas killing great whites by holding them tipped over and drowning them.  The show also talked about how other great whites could sense what happened and basically all vanished from the area because they knew they were turbofucked if they ran into that orca pod.  Off the coast of Southern California I believe. 

South Africa.  I was there the week the orcas dropped a couple great white corpses on the beaches around Cape Town.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/30/africa/orcas-great-whites-south-africa-scli-intl-scn/index.html

Posted (edited)

Well we’re obviously stealing ‘Tonic Immobility’ for a band name/surly tailgate theme.  And then die by their hands.  Or flippers.  Or fins. Or?  Dammit I had something For this!!!

Edited by YGIFS

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

South Africa.  I was there the week the orcas dropped a couple great white corpses on the beaches around Cape Town.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/30/africa/orcas-great-whites-south-africa-scli-intl-scn/index.html

See my post.

Looks like Farrallon Island is a large population of great whites and there is a good amount of tagging and research going on.  The really fascinating part to me is the whole population noped the fuck out and went to Hawaii(tracked via tags)

7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

See my post.

Looks like Farrallon Island is a large population of great whites and there is a good amount of tagging and research going on.  The really fascinating part to me is the whole population noped the fuck out and went to Hawaii(tracked via tags)

So...the Great White flight to the suburbs?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Watching the creatures of the ocean do their thing is pretty cool. I’ve been lucky enough to get to swim a few miles out off the coast of Oahu with sharks and got to watch them up close. This year I have swimming with humpback whales on the list. I swam with reef sharks as well, but they were fairly docile and seemed really used to being around people.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Those two orcas, Starboard and its buddy, Port, are racking up quite the Great White Shark body count. Basically, like Hannibal Lectors of the sea. Only really interested in eating their livers. Damn. Reminds me of the Ghost and the Darkness (true story) with two lions going batshit on humans for fun. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

of course orcas wreak havoc. but the inability of humans to recognize trend lines such as an increased frequency and severity is exactly why we are in the shithole we are in.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Those two orcas, Starboard and its buddy, racking up quite the Great White Shark body count. Basically, like Hannibal Lectors of the sea. Only really interested in eating their livers. Damn. Reminds me of the Ghost and the Darkness (true story) with two lions going batshit on humans for fun. 

200.gif

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I don’t know if this is Starboard and Port (the two miscreants murdering great white sharks) but this is kinda terrifying:

Watching them do their thing is pretty cool. The oceans are their world to do what they want to. Those orcas are infinitely smarter than the collective IQ of my hometown.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I don’t know if this is Starboard and Port (the two miscreants murdering great white sharks) but this is kinda terrifying:

They just want Seal to come out and play!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Watching them do their thing is pretty cool. The oceans are their world to do what they want to. Those orcas are infinitely smarter than the collective IQ of my hometown.

Really just perfect predators. I love them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Pod of sperm whales unleashes shit bubble to defeat orca attack:

In this demonstration of defense defecation, the pod formed a circle with their heads together, and the whales fanned their tails in unison — forcing their excrement toward the unsuspecting orcas.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sperm-whales-drop-giant-poop-204925781.html

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2024 at 10:24 AM, Nicole44 said:

I was expecting them to beach themselves to grab the seal, then shimmy back into the water. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

Obviously "Defense Defecation" needs to be someone's new band name.

We once had a cat who utilized this move anytime he had to go to the vet.  He was a big Maine Coon and would shit on the vet's table and roll around in it as fast as he could the second they tried to take a look at him.  His pupils would dilate to full black and he would stumble about like a late-life Hemingway, mumbling and snarling and drunken looking and ready to fuck up anyone who crossed him.  "You wanna examine me now, bitch?" was written all over his face.  We had two different vets ask us not to bring him back in, and finally found one that would drug him before every visit to avoid staff getting injured.  Never got another cat after he died and never will.  I loved that evil little bastard, but I was also terrified of him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2