What the Fuck is Wrong with you, Orcas?

A-Tex Devil

• A-Tex Devil changed the title to What the Fuck is Wrong with you, Orcas?
3 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

This is the answer.  We live or die on the ocean at the whim of the creatures that live there.  

Totally get it.  Title was tongue and cheek.  But Orcas are fucking smart.  It's like maybe a boat fucked up one of the calves and so that pod went all Denzel in Man on Fire, and also told the other pods to fuck up all of the boats. The recent rise in coordinate attacks is absolutely fascinating.    

There is another example where an Orca actually actively worked with a boat to help free its calf from a fishing net.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Totally get it.  Title was tongue and cheek.  But Orcas are fucking smart.  It's like maybe a boat fucked up one of the calves and so that pod went all Denzel in Man on Fire, and also told the other pods to fuck up all of the boats. The recent rise in coordinate attacks is absolutely fascinating.    

There is another example where an Orca actually actively worked with a boat to help free its calf from a fishing net.  

No shit.  Re: Title.  

We are planning a trip probably to the Pacific Northwest or Alaska to be able to see Orcas in their own habitat.  They are indeed fascinating creatures.  Arguably the smartest on the planet given the dumbassery on constant display by humans. 

But back to your point about "why?", I agree it is probably some kind of revenge plot that they are coordinating and executing.

Orcas got pissed off the week I was in Cape Town and killed a couple of great whites.  This chased off most of the other great whites and put a serious dent in the cage diving industry.  We still saw a few great whites, but they got the fuck out of town pretty quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Orcas got pissed off the week I was in Cape Town and killed a couple of great whites.  This chased off most of the other great whites and put a serious dent in the cage diving industry.  We still saw a few great whites, but they got the fuck out of town pretty quickly.

My favorite is when they clock a bunch of seals on some floating ice then swim under it at top speed to knock the seals off for some lunch.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I think it's more about the GWS emitting some pheromone scent or something when they die that keep others away. I remember seeing a discovery channel show about this phenomenon and trying to isolate the chemical.

8 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

My favorite is when they clock a bunch of seals on some floating ice then swim under it at top speed to knock the seals off for some lunch.

That's a good one. Also when they rush up on the beach to get the ones on the shore. Like sorry you little fucker, you're still not safe on land.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Looks like other pods in other areas are starting to catch on. Just had a first reported rudder boat bumping in the North Atlantic. 

When sailboat owners start shooting at Orcas, will Orcas start taking out humans in open water. 

ThisBusinessWillGetOutOfControl.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22771262/killer-whale-rams-boat-in-uk-waters/

A SAILOR has told how a killer whale “circled” his boat before ramming it “again and again” while in UK waters.

The incident in the North Sea off Shetland on Monday is the first-ever case in northern waters.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1. Respect: Orcas must show respect to fellow members, other clubs, and individuals encountered. Treat others with dignity, regardless of differences or disagreements.

2. Brotherhood: Orcas form a brotherhood, supporting and standing by each other. Loyalty and solidarity are essential within the club.

3. Integrity: Orcas should act with integrity, being honest and trustworthy in their dealings with others. Uphold a reputation of reliability and honor.

4. Commitment: Orcas are committed to the club and its principles. Members are expected to actively participate, contribute, and support the goals of the club.

5. Personal Responsibility: Each Orca is responsible for their own actions. Be accountable for your behavior and the consequences it may bring.

6. Non-Interference: Orcas do not interfere in the business or disputes of other clubs or organizations, unless directly provoked or threatened.

7. Non-Tolerance: Orcas do not tolerate disrespect, discrimination, or mistreatment of club members, fellow clubs, or innocent individuals. Stand up against injustice when necessary.

8. Personal Freedom: Orcas value personal freedom and individuality. Respect each member's right to express themselves and live their lives according to their own choices, as long as it does not harm the club or its members.

9. Honor the Patch: The club's colors and patches are sacred symbols of the club and its values. Orcas should wear their patches with pride and honor, representing the club with dignity.

10. Non-Association with Law Enforcement: Orcas must not associate with law enforcement agencies or individuals known to be involved with such entities, to preserve the independence and integrity of the club.

11. Maintain Confidentiality: What is said and done within the club stays within the club. Members must respect the confidentiality of club matters and not disclose sensitive information.

12. Ocean Etiquette: Orcas should ride responsibly and adhere to traffic laws and regulations. Show respect to other water users and promote safe swimming practices.

• Haha 1

Would it be possible to hack into the jumbotrons at Sea World and play these attack videos for the Orcas in captivity to inspire them to rise up against their oppressors?  Because I'd totally buy a ticket for that show.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

If you go to the San Juan Islands in the PNW you can kayak with orcas. It’s very cool. They like eating seals better than people.

Yeah, but when their college kids get back from their study abroad in Lisbon and bring back some of that Iberian thug life, watch out!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ain’t nothing wrong with the orcas. There’s a lot wrong with us and they’re striking back. 

Orcas are for sure the Ukrainians and we’re the Russians in the orca-human relationship. 

22 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Somebody keeps showing up in my living room uninvited I'm roughing them up too. 

Yep. To paraphrase the great philosopher, Chris Rock: That orca ain't go crazy; that orca went orca!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Yeah, I've heard they've been fucking around with the Great White population in South Africa, so much so that they've run many of them off. Whoever it was telling me about it says the orcas basically grab the Great White and flip it upside down in in the water and "drown" them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, I've heard they've been fucking around with the Great White population in South Africa, so much so that they've run many of them off. Whoever it was telling me about it says the orcas basically grab the Great White and flip it upside down in in the water and "drown" them.

It’s been a few years, but my recollection is that they go after the shark’s liver.

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/infamous-orca-pair-behind-the-19-shark-carcasses-that-have-washed-ashore-near-gansbaai-67e49cd5-0ea1-45ba-8a52-3436badc7b77

• Hook 'Em 3

When these stories first started coming out, the authors of the study predicted that other pods would start mimicking the first one that flipped/rammed a couple boats. Said Orca’s tend to go through trends they see from other pods, but they’ll eventually move on to something else. It’s like a TikTok trend amongst whales.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Ain’t nothing wrong with the orcas. There’s a lot wrong with us and they’re striking back. 

Orcas are for sure the Ukrainians and we’re the Russians in the orca-human relationship. 

Yup. I would encourage anyone that hasn't watched it to watch Blackfish, if you really want to understand how abjectly immoral and insane our treatment of captive orcas has been. All the evidence we have points to them being just as intelligent, self aware, and emotionally active as humans are.

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The doc I saw about this pretty much called them serial killers of great whites and it was the same pair doing it.

Edited by A-Tex Devil

5 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

The doc I saw about this pretty much called them serial killers of great whites and it was the same pair doing it.

We were there in 2017.  The first one washed up the day we arrived and the second the day we left.  Did the cage diving in between.  Pretty interesting time to spend a half day on a boat with a few marine biologists.

5 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yup. I would encourage anyone that hasn't watched it to watch Blackfish, if you really want to understand how abjectly immoral and insane our treatment of captive orcas has been. All the evidence we have points to them being just as intelligent, self aware, and emotionally active as humans are.

You think orcas are just as intelligent as humans?

9 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I think it's more about the GWS emitting some pheromone scent or something when they die that keep others away. I remember seeing a discovery channel show about this phenomenon

38c3a47a-3893-477e-8675-b1d15078877a_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well they self-organize, come together for larger tasks, select leaders, divvy up responsibilities, communicate, nurse the young and the old alike, protect one another defensively and offensively, and band with other schools when needed.  They don't do it quite like we do, but considering the space they have to cover-they got their shit together.  They even manage, as we're seeing lately, to exact revenge.  Because Orcas forgive, but they don't forget /chrisRorca.  

• Hook 'Em 1