Rice at Texas - Game 1

Pancho

Just now, Steelers Roll Left said:

Well how about this for a halftime adjustment: Let’s see what the back up QB can do….

It's going to happen this year. Too much talent on the sidelines to allow Ewers to throw away a second straight season with horrible deep balls and poor QB awareness. Although if this line doesn't get it's shit together the more mobile Arch might be the more successful option. I'd give Malik the first look though. 

Ewers leaves at the end of the season but to the portal. Any GM who uses a first round pick on this bum should be fired. 

Campbell is my guy, a family friend and I love him to death and even I’m willing to admit he has looked terrible this first half. The whole line is having communication issues. Doesn’t matter that he can move people in the run game if he is not going to be assignment sound. 

we look sloppy, uninterested and unprepared. 

Quinn is doing nothing to make the cries for Murphy and Manning to go away. JT Daniels was also once believed to be a can’t miss QB prospect. 

defense, defensive line, Worthy and the young guys look good. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

I mean, you know he's holding back so Alabama doesn't have current game tape on our "good stuff".

But this first half play makes you wonder if there is any good stuff at all.
O-line has regressed and QB play doesn't look improved at all.

They’re holding back competent blocking?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

With all the hand wringing about the offense, the defense allowed 64 yards in the half and took it away twice.  I don't care who you're playing -- that's badass.

This after finishing 11th in DFEI last season. 

PK is a really good DC. It's time for Sark to hold up his end of the bargain because he made a good hire on that side of the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

There were other circumstances surrounding that game.

He otherwise absolutely owned aggy during his career. Regularly picked on their "star" DB. I wish he played against OU the way he did against A&M.

The circumstance is that he had a 16-6 lead going into the half and choked it the fuck away.

6 minutes ago, Rudiger said:

And then proceeded to kind of suck for the rest of the season (masked by outstanding RB play). That’s why people are pissed off.

Definitely, the up and down play doesn't lead to good results. 

But the "Texas will lose by 30 to Alabama" is exactly what people said after the opener last season with similar level play in the first half against ULM. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I don't. I want to see us work the middle of the field, which has been wide open all day.

Correct, Rice isn't dumb. They're playing anti-Sarkisian defense. We can slice them up outside and in the intermediate game but have to be willing to do it. Not run into 8 man fronts then throw deep against three deep coverage. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's going to happen this year. Too much talent on the sidelines to allow Ewers to throw away a second straight season with horrible deep balls and poor QB awareness. Although if this line doesn't get it's shit together the more mobile Arch might be the more successful option. I'd give Malik the first look though. 

Ewers leaves at the end of the season but to the portal. Any GM who uses a first round pick on this bum should be fired. 

The first round thing has always been so stupid. No one was ever gonna do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

is exactly what people said after the opener last season with similar level play in the first half against ULM. 

Surely you have learned that college football fans never, ever, EVER, learn.

Then again, I guess you couldn't, because college football fans never, ever learn.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And was relieved by Applewhite who also didn't produce anything. 

"Derp must be starting QB fault" is the easiest way to be a fan, though, so you've got that going for you. 

Yeah, Applewhite shit the bed quite a bit. You might have had a point if I had said that Applewhite never shit the bed save for a couple of OU games, which I absolutely did not say. So perhaps shut the fuck up and go back to the short bus.

Just now, Augustus said:

Surely you have learned that college football fans never, ever, EVER, learn.

Then again, I guess you couldn't, because college football fans never, ever learn.

Hey! I did eventually admit that Greg Davis might not've been a great OC.

Miracles can occur.

• Haha 1