Rice at Texas - Game 1

Pancho

28 minutes ago, ousux said:
29 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My YouTube TV says the HD broadcast is 720p. WTF. Yes, I do pay for 4k.

You're always going to get fucked with anyone who advertises 4k. You'll be lucky to get 30% of your content at that restaurant.

Only if your network sucks. It only takes like 30mb to stream 4k content 

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Don't look now but Georgia is up 7-0 in the 2nd the quarter

That's embarrassing. They need to prove to themselves they're not the same team that's had 13 straight years of mediocrity and they're on the come up, and they're coming out flat early like they think they're the back to back defending champs or something. 

• Haha 2

I was more impressed by Colorado’s offense than our offensive showing today. I understand “vanilla” in week one with a big opponent next week, but our OL looked BAD vs a scrappy Rice team. Not really something to hang your hat on.

Hook’em!!!
If Quinn had Travis Hunter to throw to he would have looked much better. Oh, and also against the pathetic froggy defense...Gare isn't in FW anymore.

Just now, ousux said:
6 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:
I was more impressed by Colorado’s offense than our offensive showing today. I understand “vanilla” in week one with a big opponent next week, but our OL looked BAD vs a scrappy Rice team. Not really something to hang your hat on.

Hook’em!!!

If Quinn had Travis Hunter to throw to he would have looked much better. Oh, and also against the pathetic froggy defense...Gare isn't in FW anymore.

The receivers were open he couldn’t hit them

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, ousux said:
5 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Hook’em!!!

Really, so QE looks uneasy, unsure, and woefully inaccurate at the deep ball because of the talent at WR? Huh …

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ousux said:
13 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:
Really, so QE looks uneasy, unsure, and woefully inaccurate at the deep ball because of the talent at WR? Huh …

First game jitters, it's a real thing. If he comes out the same way against Bama you may have a point.

First game jitters? Wasn't that last year?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Got back from the game. Our O has serious issues. Can't run on Rice, we aren't running on Bama.

Quinn is ok if the first read is there. If it's not he SUCKS at going through his reads. A few times, there were receivers open. He just did not see them because he folded after the first read wasn't there. 

Our D is legit. Next's week game may be a 10-3 game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Pretty simplistic take. This was true on a few plays. On others they weren't open. On at least one play that should have been a touchdown the guy was open and he hit him perfectly but it was dropped. 

Many plays he threw to guys who weren't open, missing the dudes who were though

22 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Hook’em!!!

I liked how Colorado called the game. Lot of quick game and occasionally threw it deep. They let the offense get in a rhythm and the shots came naturally. I thought the Texas passing game looked good in the quick game. Just feels like Sark hates it at times. Gets 1-2 nice quick plays and then needs to dial up a max protect deep shot. It’s early, but the offense seems more comfortable spreading it out 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Quinn is ok if the first read is there. If it's not he SUCKS at going through his reads. A few times, there were receivers open. He just did not see them because he folded after the first read wasn't there. 

This is the genuine concern with him. Third year in a college program it might not get better. Of course we've seen guys get it from their 3rd to 4th year (McCoy) but it's not something you should count on. 

There weren't other guys open on plays where he wasn't pressured that often today though. Handful of plays. 

Watching the USC game. I don't know how much of it is Williams or how much of it is Riley but they make passing look so fucking easy. Receivers are always open. I'm leaning towards Riley since his QBs seem to be plug and play.

Which leads me to this. Sark's play designs sometimes work but they aren't remotely what Riley has going. Sark seems a bit mediocre. He's supposed to be a genius but I'm not seeing it. He called and designed a beautiful Bama NC game. Since then, it's been pretty meh.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Quinn isn't Caleb WIlliams. Riley's offense looks much better when he has a mobile QB who can scramble and extend plays.

Quinn also has below average pocket presence, not as bad as Card, but not good there at all.

The offense works, and will work better as the season goes on. Getting better up front helps everything work better.

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is the genuine concern with him. Third year in a college program it might not get better. Of course we've seen guys get it from their 3rd to 4th year (McCoy) but it's not something you should count on. 

There weren't other guys open on plays where he wasn't pressured that often today though. Handful of plays. 

On the drive leading to the first FG where he overthrew a double covered Sanders, the slot receiver was running wide fucking open at the 10. He locked on to Sanders no matter what and didn't even look at his reads. Sanders was bracketed. This was fucking horrendous.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The offense works, and will work better as the season goes on. Getting better up front helps everything work better.

He has more weapons on offense and looks exactly like late season Quinn.

On the pass to high Worthy which was overturned, he had Mitchell alone one on one on a post route. Mitchell had his man beat. Quinn locked on Worthy as he always does.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ousux said:
40 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Hook’em!!!

You should not post another post.

35 minutes ago, ousux said:
40 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Hook’em!!!

My sarcasm meter is broke. Ewers has a $1 million NIL receiver in Worthy plus whatever Whittington got paid to stay, and the other highly rated WRs and TE playing against Rice, and you’re saying playing @TCU is an easier matchup for Shadeur Sanders because Travis Hunter is on his team?

The offensive line looked bad like last year. Ewers also strongly resembled his 2022 self. So that's concerning.

Everything else looked good. I worry those other two issues will hold us back.

But hey it was just game one. Let's see what the season holds. 

I would say we will learn a lot next week but weirdly the Bama game last year turned out to be a bit of a mirage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

We got plenty of lessons to learn from this game. This is the game to learn from. Lots of depth got experience, but that OL got many much needed reps and, despite the OR, Campbell got pretty much all the reps with the first team.

Good win overall, they will definitely hit the week hard after all that struggling.

This is this first Texas team in quite a while that anyone has said anything real positive about after the offseason.

I think it has probably been well established that we haven't really known how to win for some time, so I imagine that believing your own bull can be a factor, too against a team like Rice.  The announcers kept referring to communications problems on the OL, the board pretty much said they were dogging it, so maybe they can actually take a big step forward this week after facing a little reality.

And, this may be the first time since Sark's been at Texas that we looked and performed considerably better in the second half than in the first.  I do recall not looking so sharp against ULM last year, but it was a 24 pt first half and a 28 pt second.  So, that's something I guess.

Edited by TwiceHorn

The offensive line looked bad like last year. Ewers also strongly resembled his 2022 self. So that's concerning.
Everything else looked good. I worry those other two issues will hold us back.
But hey it was just game one. Let's see what the season holds. 
I would say we will learn a lot next week but weirdly the Bama game last year turned out to be a bit of a mirage.

OL was shit. Ewers was pedestrian. And bad if he couldn’t go to his first target.
Being shit on third down is now officially deeply woven into our DNA. It’s not what we do, it’s what we are. I fucking hate it. But I should I be used to it.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Convert one of those 4th downs early and things look pretty different probably. Yardage was fine in the first half, situational football was poor. All that said we still were up 37-3 heading into the 4th before putting in backups.

Worthy had a great game and seems to have his head on straight. I thought most of Ewers deep balls looked okay mechanics wise outside of the rushed one to Mitchell that should have been PI. The RPO game needs to be our bread and butter and I think we realized that in the second half.

OL wasn’t good but I thought Ewers self sacked himself at least once when he tried to move up unnecessary in the pocket.

We played a pretty clean game penalty wise until the 4th then things got sloppy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Apparently Baxter’s issue was rib-related from landing on the ball….

From Sark’s PC…

Sounds good until you watch the replay and realize the ball was in his left hand and he landed on right side…Sark just flat out lied lol

It’s really concerning because every phased other than the running game looked better except for the phases we thought would be legit 

O-Line and QB play

is just game one though, and hopefully it was first game jitters/heat but I really hate making excuses 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Nope said:

Sounds good until you watch the replay and realize the ball was in his left hand and he landed on right side…Sark just flat out lied lol

I saw Baxter walk off to the locker room during the game. He looked dejected and pissed. He looked like he was favoring his right shoulder/side.