Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

I don’t think I’ve ever been so down about this state and country in my entire life than I am today. Next up, Trump and all his co-conspirators skate for selling our most sensitive state secrets and trying to overthrow a Presidential election. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Why? Why leave this man in office to pursue vengeance and also risk having all the embarrassing Nate Paul stuff that must be coming out? Or will that all be swept under the rug by the feds??

And he's going to really think he's bulletproof now.

• Hook 'Em 2

And he's going to really think he's bulletproof now.

Ain’t no “think” about it. He is. All MAGA is, wherever there are enough GQP voters (and it doesn’t take that much, because their strength isn’t just heir votes, it’s the threat of violence).
This is how a terrorist movement, with minority voting numbers, takes power. It’s happened repeatedly in numerous countries, the script is there. Now, it’s our turn.
A violent religious-fascist movement is going to take full control, at least of several major regions. The result will be exactly as one should expect based on the history books. Obviously, naked and shameless corruption (one of the key ways that authoritarians flex their power: “look at the obvious crimes I commit, and nobody can stop me - my power is limitless, even the laws don’t stop me.”). But then, using the power of the state to punish those who oppose them. And ultimately, state-sanctioned violence against the opposition. This is the way. It always has been.
  • Hook 'Em 2

We have a son and DIL in Arlington and in 2 years when we retire one option is to move back to Texas to be close, especially if they give us grandkids. Other than no state income tax, I don't know any reason why I'd want to move back. Disgusting. 

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We have a son and DIL in Arlington and in 2 years when we retire one option is to move back to Texas to be close, especially if they give us grandkids. Other than no state income tax, I don't know any reason why I'd want to move back. Disgusting. 

It's also worth noting that property taxes are so high that the benefit of having no state income tax is moot in a lot of people's situations. Make your children move to you lol 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

No state income tax is a farce. My overall tax burden went up when I moved back to TX from AZ. Property taxes are a real bitch and thanks to Trump's tax "cuts" and the cap on the SALT deduction, it hits hard.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

So basically the lesson for politicians over the last few years is that if your party is in power or is in the minority by a reasonably small margin you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Cool….cool

Don’t forget the important element of “your base needs to carry a threat of violence, to maintain obedience to the extreme.” Don’t underestimate that part.

12 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

It's also worth noting that property taxes are so high that the benefit of having no state income tax is moot in a lot of people's situations. Make your children move to you lol 

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

No state income tax is a farce. My overall tax burden went up when I moved back to TX from AZ. Property taxes are a real bitch and thanks to Trump's tax "cuts" and the cap on the SALT deduction, it hits hard.

So then no good reason to move back. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Texas is a lost cause.  Those that can should get the fuck out.

I always have very mixed feelings reading the threads on Texas politics (and the blast furnace thread).  Surly is one of the main ways I 'keep in touch' with it all.  On the one hand there is the relief and the reinforcement of 'man did we do the right thing getting out,' even if my primary reason was beautiful nature and a better climate for me, not necessarily politics at the time.   On the other hand I still have so many friends and family back in Texas.  Some of whom really and truly want to get out but can't find a way to afford that move either finanically or emotionally.  Others who want to fight the good fight, damn the odds.  And while I don't know most Surly folks in person, I have been entertained and educated by so many that I root for them to continue to have the best they can in life.  So that other side of the relief for me getting out is just pure sadness for those who are left.   Sadness and anger that this system and the assholes who wield it are beating those folks down.  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

I can't prove it yet, but Big Kitchen is behind all this.  

George P. has to be shaking his head at this mess more than any of us.  

at least the record will be there for generations of Texans and U.S. law school students alike to chuckle at for decades to come.  We could use the laugh.  

He'll be about 64 when he wins re-election and is sworn in in early 2027.  Serves until 2031 when he's 68.  unless he gets a federal judicial nomination between now and then, I think he's AG for another 7 years.  But still has the federal securities indictments looming over him.  

What a performative shitshow this all was.  Counters man?  We talking about letterheads, man?  

• Hook 'Em 1