Matthew Perry - Dead at 54

Neonmoon

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

But I really don't think most people know what Alexander has done with his life professionally and personally since Seinfeld.  When he passes, those masses will still grieve because Seinfeld was a beloved show that marked their lives, much like Friends. 

Is anyone here a marine biologist?!  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

But I really don't think most people know what Alexander has done with his life professionally and personally since Seinfeld.  When he passes, those masses will still grieve because Seinfeld was a beloved show that marked their lives, much like Friends. 

What do you mean? Everyone knows he's rehashing the "yada yada" episode bit to shill cheap mobile phone plans.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Was his voice mail answering service not a success?

spacer.png

Not completely derail, but little on TV has ever been as jarring as that one night in a lonely hotel room on business travel, I turn the TV on and there was a Criminal Minds marathon on the channel it was left on, and Jason Alexander playing a weirdo serial killer greeted me in my Courtyard of Doom:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 11/1/2023 at 10:46 AM, BeardIP said:

Not completely derail, but little on TV has ever been as jarring as that one night in a lonely hotel room on business travel, I turn the TV on and there was a Criminal Minds marathon on the channel it was left on, and Jason Alexander playing a weirdo serial killer greeted me in my Courtyard of Doom:

That's almost as disturbing as his recurring character on Young Sheldon.

On 11/1/2023 at 5:55 AM, South Austin said:

No but you see JA all the time.  For example Jacob's Ladder is a classic and Star Trek will never go out of syndication.  When I read Perry's resume I had not seen anything other than Friends.  Maybe there is a bias because Alexander seems to appear more in the imaginative genres. 

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Come on guys. Don’t do this to yourselves. Perry was on Friends and did a few movies during the summer when they weren’t filming.

If Seinfeld didn’t exist, Jason Alexander would still be a New York legend on Broadway. 

'shallow Hal alone beats out anything that Friends guy did.

• Like 1

man, i’ve heard a lot of audio/video from matthew perry in the wake of his death which seems to confirm all of conclusions one might draw based on all of the MP stories in the wake of Norm Macdonald’s death, namely that Perry was unbelievably self important. i went from being bummed that chandler was dead to being not being able to stand matthew perry in the span of like 3 or 4 sound bites. shame.

22 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

man, i’ve heard a lot of audio/video from matthew perry in the wake of his death which seems to confirm all of conclusions one might draw based on all of the MP stories in the wake of Norm Macdonald’s death, namely that Perry was unbelievably self important. i went from being bummed that chandler was dead to being not being able to stand matthew perry in the span of like 3 or 4 sound bites. shame.

Links? I’d be curious to listen to that

23 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

It seems to be a common trap for newly minted sober folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Links? I’d be curious to listen to that

i need to try and find them, and will post them here when i do. one in particular was about him approaching marta kaufmann when they were filming the final episode, and he told her, “i have to have the last line.” perry is telling this story himself, and he describes his final line like this:

”so monica says, “let’s get a cup of coffee”, and for one final time, with perfect timing, i say, “where?”.’ 

oof. cringe. who talks about the sleeves like that? 

there was another one where he was on a talk show telling everyone about how he invented “matt speak”. he truly believes he invented some new form of comedy and he’s very proud of it/very happy to tell you all about it in a very, “how amazing am i?” type of way. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Lulz at anyone comparing the talent level of the Friends and Seinfeld casts.  It's not remotely close.

here’s what’s crazy- when netflix got Friends it became a worldwide sensation with Gen Z kids/young people everywhere. it was the no.1 netflix show for teenagers in the UK for months after it came out on netflix. so now there is this whole new generation of Friends fans all over the world who don’t know a thing about seinfeld. i’ve actually seen entire threads on reddit where young-ish people from overseas are asking questions like, “what is seinfeld? why do people compare to Friends? who is Jerry Seinfeld? I’ve never heard of any of these people.” it was a shock to the system the first couple of times o encountered it.

Edited by shadow_operative

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

there was another one where he was on a talk show telling everyone about how he invented “matt speak”. he truly believes he invented some new form of comedy and he’s very proud of it/very happy to tell you all about it in a very, “how amazing am i?” type of way. 

"Is he good at math or something?" is probably the smartest and funniest way to comeback on that question.

• 1 month later...

The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner's Office released their final report on the death of "Friends" star Matthew Perry, noting that the sitcom icon died from "acute effects of ketamine."

"Contributing factors in Mr. Perry’s death include drowning, coronary artery disease and the effects of buprenorphine (used to treat opioid use disorder). The manner of death is accident," the medical examiner noted. 

FOX 11 obtained Perry's official autopsy report, which noted that the actor had a history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/emphysema, as well as diabetes. He also had abused drugs in the past but was reportedly clean for 19 months before his death. It also noted that Perry was on ketamine infusion therapy "with the most recent therapy reportedly one and a half weeks before death."

Perry, 54, was found unresponsive in a hot tub at his Pacific Palisades home on Saturday, October 28. His cause of death was initially listed as ‘deferred’ by the Medical Examiner's Office.

According to the autopsy report, "at the high levels of ketamine found in his postmortem blood specimens, the main lethal effects would be from body cardiovascular overstimulation and respiratory depression," meaning that Perry likely drowned after he submerged into the hot tub and lost consciousness due to the effects of the ketamine in his system. 

Ketamine, and other opioids, can lead to respiratory depression – when you breathe too slowly or too shallowly, leading to carbon dioxide building up in your blood. Ketamine can also result in an increase in blood pressure, which the medical examiner noted in Perry's autopsy. 

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner's Office released their final report on the death of "Friends" star Matthew Perry, noting that the sitcom icon died from "acute effects of ketamine."

"Contributing factors in Mr. Perry’s death include drowning, coronary artery disease and the effects of buprenorphine (used to treat opioid use disorder). The manner of death is accident," the medical examiner noted. 

FOX 11 obtained Perry's official autopsy report, which noted that the actor had a history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/emphysema, as well as diabetes. He also had abused drugs in the past but was reportedly clean for 19 months before his death. It also noted that Perry was on ketamine infusion therapy "with the most recent therapy reportedly one and a half weeks before death."

Perry, 54, was found unresponsive in a hot tub at his Pacific Palisades home on Saturday, October 28. His cause of death was initially listed as ‘deferred’ by the Medical Examiner's Office.

According to the autopsy report, "at the high levels of ketamine found in his postmortem blood specimens, the main lethal effects would be from body cardiovascular overstimulation and respiratory depression," meaning that Perry likely drowned after he submerged into the hot tub and lost consciousness due to the effects of the ketamine in his system. 

Ketamine, and other opioids, can lead to respiratory depression – when you breathe too slowly or too shallowly, leading to carbon dioxide building up in your blood. Ketamine can also result in an increase in blood pressure, which the medical examiner noted in Perry's autopsy. 

He was "clean" for 19 months, but died of drug toxicity.  

Ketamine, although a recreational drug, has therapeutic uses in the treatment of depression.  It is an anesthetic, basically.

Bupenorphine is a basically low dose opioid used to treat opioid addicts.  Think methadone.  It fills those opioid receptors, stopping craving and dopesickness, but doesn't create a euphoria, or high.

The addiction community would probably quibble pretty seriously about sobriety/recovery while "doing drugs," even under a doctor's care.

But, technically, it would appear that he was sober and in recovery when he died.

ETA:  Or not, as it appears from subsequent posts that his ketamine use was recreational.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 11/9/2023 at 1:21 PM, BeardIP said:

It seems to be a common trap for newly minted sober folks.

One of the common features of addiction is a pretty high degree of self-regard or self-involvement.  From my own experience and observed experience, it's not necessarily flat out selfishness or narcissism.    It stems from being overly sensitive to your own feelings and lacking coping mechanisms, which in turn leads to use of chemical coping mechanisms, which in turn creates an illusion on the part of the addict that s/he can control things, like their feelings (as by taking drugs/drinking), and an incredible frustration when they cannot control things, both internal and external.

So, take away a person's chemical coping mechanism and they can become pretty crazy for a while.  The point of AA and other therapy is to create other coping mechanisms and redirect that self-regard.

ETA:  I have to think acting and other performing arts type things can be hugely crazy-making, because they feed that self-importance and self-regard.  I think you have to be pretty mentally healthy not to go a bit bonkers in that occupation and I think the immaturity of child stars makes them particularly susceptible.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7

It’s all so very sad. In addition, he had coronary artery disease, diabetes and COPD. I was reading a few articles since the news came out today and it sounds like in addition to doing the ketamine infusion therapy he most likely was doing it recreationally and when you add in his other health issues plus the hot tub—yikes. 

"Ketamine is not used outside of the supervision of a medical professional. So, if it was in his system at those doses, because it has a very short half life ... it would have been out of his system within 2 to 3 hours. He was using it recreationally. Unfortunately it was the perfect storm in a hot tub."

Ketamine IV infusions are only administered in the doctor's office. They are limited and timed, with most treatments lasting six weeks. WebMD reports the IV infusion lasts about 40 minutes, with the dissociative experience kicking in immediately and lasting for about 15 minutes after the drip ends.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/losangeles/news/what-is-ketamine/

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

You can be prescribed ketamine and use it as needed via a nasal spray (though following Dr orders is really important). It is possible he just sniffed a ton of his prescribed meds all at once. I'm really curious to know more about what exactly happened here, if this was the result of his abusing a prescription or getting it some other way.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Probably relapsed and overdosed.  Addicts that have been clean for a while take the same amount they used to take (having built up a tolerance) and their body can't handle it.

Close to true.  Yes, addicts retain their tolerance well past abstinence, maybe forever.  But their bodies should be in better shape to handle it than before.

I think what really happens is the addict tries to go back to "normal drinking," for example, but finds that the tolerance and the disease don't permit that.  So they are rapidly face down in the gutter just like they were right before they got sober.

But what really happens is that relapses set up guilt and self-loathing like the addict has yet to experience.  After having "tasted" sobriety and learned about it and become clear on what you did to yourself, your friends and family, the guilt of it can become pretty overwhelming and make you go right quick from satisfying your tolerance to fatal doses.  They accelerate their usage even more.  A fair number go right from relapse to the grave or the severely injured.  Some get back on the wagon and use it as a traumatic learning experience.  Some just keep at it.

My abortive sobriety over the period of about a year between first attempting sobriety and recovery and getting it for keeps was one of the worst periods of my drinking career.  Fucking horrible.

On 11/9/2023 at 8:13 PM, shadow_operative said:

here’s what’s crazy- when netflix got Friends it became a worldwide sensation with Gen Z kids/young people everywhere. it was the no.1 netflix show for teenagers in the UK for months after it came out on netflix. so now there is this whole new generation of Friends fans all over the world who don’t know a thing about seinfeld. i’ve actually seen entire threads on reddit where young-ish people from overseas are asking questions like, “what is seinfeld? why do people compare to Friends? who is Jerry Seinfeld? I’ve never heard of any of these people.” it was a shock to the system the first couple of times o encountered it.

This doesn't really surprise me. Friends is a much more traditional sitcom than Seinfeld. Seinfeld had no central romance to root for, and furthermore, the characters weren't really...likeable, if you think about it. To me, that was part of the appeal - they were terrible people in a lot of respects, but really fucking funny, and that made it different from anything else that was on TV at the time. I didn't really appreciate Seinfeld till I was out of college.

I loved both shows, but they are very different.

• Hook 'Em 2

It is okay to like both Friends and Seinfeld.  I'm not sure why the discussion tends to be so polarizing, or why one has to be declared better than the other.  The main reason that they get compared is because they were aired back-to-back for years, during NBC's "must see TV" years.  If they existed years apart or were on different networks, I doubt they'd be discussed in the same breath.  Most people who watched one likely watched the other.  I think both would have been successful without the other, but they absolutely benefited from being shown consecutively.    

• Hook 'Em 4

Fun fact, though people often conflate the two shows as running consecutively for many years.  They only existed on Thursday nights on NBC for just 4 seasons.  And only ran back-to-back for one of those four seasons.  But yes, "Seinfeld" certainly helped establish an early fanbase for "Friends" to be sure.   But "Seinfeld" already had a massive fan base with the ratings to boot when "Friends" came along.  It is also telling that "Friends" became about as funny as Carrot Top after "Seinfeld" ended its run in May of 1998, and "Friends" pressed on for many more seasons.  

But anybody that says they didn't watch both, who is between 40-70, is full of shit.  My love for "Seinfeld" is well-documented but of course I watched "Friends" in the late 1990's because every chick I was trying to hook up with watched it before we went out to the bars.  Once I met my now wife who loved Seinfeld but didn't really give a shit about "Friends" in 2000, I don't think I watched a single episode again, until the series finale.  Not being snooty, it's just That's how TV and pussy work.  

RIP, Mr. Perry.

11 hours ago, austingirl said:

This doesn't really surprise me. Friends is a much more traditional sitcom than Seinfeld. Seinfeld had no central romance to root for, and furthermore, the characters weren't really...likeable, if you think about it. To me, that was part of the appeal - they were terrible people in a lot of respects, but really fucking funny, and that made it different from anything else that was on TV at the time. I didn't really appreciate Seinfeld till I was out of college.

I loved both shows, but they are very different.

Early seasons of Seinfeld also feel very old now. I mean, don’t get me wrong - still great, but I could see how a gen z could still see Friends as kinda modern and see season 1 Seinfeld as almost Cheers-like.

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

It is okay to like both Friends and Seinfeld.  I'm not sure why the discussion tends to be so polarizing, or why one has to be declared better than the other.  The main reason that they get compared is because they were aired back-to-back for years, during NBC's "must see TV" years.  If they existed years apart or were on different networks, I doubt they'd be discussed in the same breath.  Most people who watched one likely watched the other.  I think both would have been successful without the other, but they absolutely benefited from being shown consecutively.    

Not a strong analogy but it’s like The Clash and Fleetwood Mac or something - two things that are ostensibly in the same category of thing and high level versions of that thing but they are opposite of each other. It invites comparison. Well, not Fleetwood and Clash, maybe more Beatles and Stones although I think the difference in “what does this stand for” is bigger between Seinfeld and Friends.

*edit* goddamn I’m the worst at homonyms when I’m tired, my posts are going to be loaded with to/ too /two where/wear type errors for a bit

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

My 17yo has watched the whole run of Seinfeld on Netflix probably 3 times. Loves it. Can quote with the best gen exer now. I’m so proud.

I should point her to Friends and see what she thinks.

I thought it was stupid back in the day. But then I thought most things were stupid back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 2