Chemical Explosion in East Texas

Just now, Samson's Wig said:

Took the kids to GWL in Grapevine for my niece's birthday party seven or so years ago.  Never again.  NEVER.  That has to be the worst fucking place on the planet, and yes I'm fully aware of at lest some of the really really terrible places out there.

You can fly the family to Florida and spend a weekend at Disneyworld (not that I recommend that hell hole either) for less than a weekend at GWL, and what do you get for your money?  A bunch of drunk redneck morons hanging out in the hallways getting shitfaced drunk while their kids destroy the rooms after a day of breathing in the foulest air on earth in the water area.   All of this is followed by a respiratory virus that knocks out your family for a week or two after you get home.   My wife referred to it as white trash Disneyworld.  I told her Disneyworld is white trash Disneyworld.  Great Wolf Lodge is something different.  Something much worse.  Something that will eventually kill us all.

All of this. It was worse than I could've ever imagined.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i don't know how this story occupied a long unused fold in a dark corner of my brain, but it did and likely was from the shaggy days? I'm not sure if this originally came from aggy, but that is where i found it just now

Hide contents

Probably wasn't the first time that poor bastard of a manager had to hose out the restroom after a customer rolled through four plates of beefy macaroni.

I feel like when you sign up to coach a traveling youth sports team that they give you a handbook, and in this handbook, on page 26, it is strongly recommended that the cheapest way to get a bunch of calories into teenage boys who are playing basketball all day is to go to GC.  That was the last time I ate at a GC and it wasn’t by choice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I feel like when you sign up to coach a traveling youth sports team that they give you a handbook, and in this handbook, on page 26, it is strongly recommended that the cheapest way to get a bunch of calories into teenage boys who are playing basketball all day is to go to GC.  That was the last time I ate at a GC and it wasn’t by choice.

LOL, my oldest is always bugging me to go to Golden Corral since it's a popular spot for his scout troop to go. I draw the line at Sirloin Stockade. 

Since this is now the Golden Corral thread, I'll add my own .2 cents.  We used to eat there once a week ... AND in Knoxville.  My oldest son has a few food allergies which made this place the ideal as he was actually able to get more than one type of food.  It's not that bad.  I'd rather deal with fat rednecks over the snobs in Uptown (Dallas).  I did pass on the chocolate tower, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

There ain't nothing wrong with Shoney's, iHop or Waffle House. Hell, I'll eat at a Cracker Barrel in a pinch.

The Shoney's breakfast bar on a Sunday after a hunting/camping was always satisfying. The breakfast combined with all the booze and crap eaten over the previous two days created a symphony of fart smells.

It starts with strong aroma of Lone Star Light produced methane with hints of cedar and mesquite followed by Dinty Moore Beef Stew that fades out as a robust odor of semi digested Shoney's eggs, sausage and bacon  with a hint of syrup takes over.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.

But then....maybe I shouldn't tell you about the time that @Pescado_Rojo ended up hitting up the Shoney's breakfast buffet on Seawall Blvd. in Galveston....in our camo waders.  Good enough breakfast on a chilly day.

Shoney’s wasn’t that bad back the mid 80’s or so. I haven’t been in one since then so I have no idea what they’re like now, or if they still exist. 

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

The Shoney's breakfast bar on a Sunday after a hunting/camping was always satisfying. The breakfast combined with all the booze and crap eaten over the previous two days created a symphony of fart smells.

It starts with strong aroma of Lone Star Light produced methane with hints of cedar and mesquite followed by Dinty Moore Beef Stew that fades out as a robust odor of semi digested Shoney's eggs, sausage and bacon  with a hint of syrup takes over.

How well does it pay to write for Sommelier Weekly?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You cretins badmouthing Golden Corral have obviously never taken a glorious culinary adventure at Sirloin Stockade.

I liked Bonanza and Sirloin Stockade better than Golden Corral. We called all those places “the feedbag” in my family and Golden Corral really is a feedbag. 

Douse a Sirloin Stockade steak with enough Heinz 57 and load up the baked potato and it’s not bad at all. 

My (lack of deer) hog lease is just a few miles directly north of it. Makes decision to get off of it this year seem smarter now...  But plans to go out this weekend to start pulling stuff apart in the cooler weather may now wait until after a few rain showers...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Bonanza, ponderosa, golden corrall, and shoneys are all about the same in my very obsolete opinion. 

I haven't been to any of these places in about 25 years but based on memory it ranks.

Shoney's >>>>> Bonanza >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Golden Corrall.

Edited by F250

34 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Cracker Barrel is a reliable, road-trip breakfast stop without question.

Had a project about a decade ago upgrading Mississippi State police 2 way radio back hail shit. Had to go to some shithole towns and my coworker swore Cracker Barrel was needed every few days for some “home cooking” if I never eat there again in my life I’ll die happy. 

I can’t remember why but as a kid in East Dallas I always loved Ryan’s over Golden Corral 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Zepol87 said:

Had a project about a decade ago upgrading Mississippi State police 2 way radio back hail shit. Had to go to some shithole towns and my coworker swore Cracker Barrel was needed every few days for some “home cooking” if I never eat there again in my life I’ll die happy. 

Last time I hit one up was in Jackson, Mississippi in 2021.  My recollection is that it suffered by comparison to my other two trips there in 2001 (Virginia) and 2006 or so (Texas).

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

LOL, my oldest is always bugging me to go to Golden Corral since it's a popular spot for his scout troop to go. I draw the line at Sirloin Stockade. 

One time on a Boy Scout trip up to summer camp our scoutmaster had cut a deal with Golden Corral to provide breakfast lunch and dinner. Many of us scouts had explosive diarrhea for a solid 2-3 days after that little charade of a bus ride. And I’m talking about blowing your asshole out on those nice hole toilets in the middle of the woods. That was a real fuck. Haven’t been back to Golden Corral since. @Fondren & Main

Edited by Johnny Chimpo
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Celery Man said:

i don't know how this story occupied a long unused fold in a dark corner of my brain, but it did and likely was from the shaggy days? I'm not sure if this originally came from aggy, but that is where i found it just now

Reveal hidden contents

It probably took me 20 minutes to read this because I was laughing so hard it made my eyes water that made it hard to see and read.

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Hide contents

I'm really disturbed by this part:

"Done properly, it even assures that the choad is properly inserted into the front rim of the toilet in the event that the piss stream lets loose at the same time..."

WTF

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Sometimes there’s shit on the outside of the turlet 

Sometimes I paint shit outside the confines of the rim of my toilet bowl - essentially some kind of gastrointestinal performance art.  After the surgeon removed a third of my colon, I became more of an abstract artist.     

19 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Did it have a chocolate fountain? If so, was the chocolate fountain exposed so that any young (or young at heart) could just stick their finger in it to get a little taste?

If your answer to either question is "no" then I'm sorry but you didn't get the full Golden Corral experience.

A few years back while eating lunch with 3 coworkers, out of the blue one of them says “You know that chocolate fountain at Golden Corral? How many times do you think an employee stuck his dick in it after hours? Sorry, I don’t know why I think of random shit like that.” Then the other 3 of us admitted some version of that had previously crossed our minds. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

A few years back while eating lunch with 3 coworkers, out of the blue one of them says “You know that chocolate fountain at Golden Corral? How many times do you think an employee stuck his dick in it after hours? Sorry, I don’t know why I think of random shit like that.” Then the other 3 of us admitted some version of that had previously crossed our minds. 

First time I saw a chocolate fountain was at an old high school friend's wedding reception up by Conroe nearly 30 years ago.  Unsurprisingly, the core group of 5-6 of us old high school friends were the last folks left at the reception.  Chocolate fountain was still running.  I told a buddy I'd give him $10 if he stuck his whole head under the fountain flow to drink some of it.  Maybe the best $10 I ever spent, it was hilarious.

• Haha 2

On 11/9/2023 at 9:50 AM, Brisketexan said:

First time I saw a chocolate fountain was at an old high school friend's wedding reception up by Conroe nearly 30 years ago.  Unsurprisingly, the core group of 5-6 of us old high school friends were the last folks left at the reception.  Chocolate fountain was still running.  I told a buddy I'd give him $10 if he stuck his whole head under the fountain flow to drink some of it.  Maybe the best $10 I ever spent, it was hilarious.

I stuck my whole head under it, and South Austin's mom drank like a champion afterward  

On 11/9/2023 at 9:43 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

"Then they went and purchased a chocolate fountain for home."

harvey.jpg

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2023 at 9:27 AM, texasdago said:

Houston used to have a Steak Kountry Kitchen.  Honestly, I don't trust any place that plays fast and loose with Ks.  Bunch of racists.

Inside Karen's Kountry Kitchen - Picture of Karen's Kountry Kitchen,  Shuniah - Tripadvisor

Screen+Shot+2021-12-01+at+5.18.46+PM.png

Good ole Hico, TX. Can’t beat the homemade pies though. And the old school candy store across the parking lot is a childhood core memory passing through on road trips from Midland.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Like 1