2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How'd the lakes do?  Any projections on lake level rises?

LCRA seems unimpressed.

Apr 10 2024 7:45AM

Short term lake level forecasts for Buchanan and Travis:

Buchanan
Tomorrow = 995.1 ft msl
One Week = 995.0 ft msl

Travis
Tomorrow = 630.7 ft msl
One Week = 630.4 ft msl

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We got over 4 inches last night in parts of houston. Been a wet ass spring

it didn't even wake me up in the Heights.  Lame event. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

How'd the lakes do?  Any projections on lake level rises?

Doubtful. This was a pretty disappointing rainfall event in terms of coverage, location, and totals. 

We’ve got about 5-6 weeks to get some significant rain before the summer death ridge sets up and we start hoping for mid-summer tropical miracles. Not great, Bob.

Canyon Lake especially is fuuuuucked the next 2 years.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

saw something where we are supposed to have big time hurricanes this year.  maybe houston will take one in the pooper but the outskirts make it up to the travis watershed.

The last 3 or 4 hurricanes which rolled through Texas haven't produced shit in the way of significant rain for the Hill Country. The bands lose energy this far inland.

Posted (edited)

It was an awesome light show looking towards Blanco / S of 290 when viewing from Drip.

Lasted an easy +20 minutes & probably less than 2 seconds between hits.  Probably could have driven home without headlights.

Edited by ROFL BOX

If it hits anywhere near Houston, it won't come anywhere near Austin. They need to hit the Texas coast between Corpus and SPI to get to the Austin area.
I'm not a fan of hurricanes (Sharpies tracking or not)... roo much destruction.
If a tropical storm were to make it within range of Austin & knock around some roofs that were in the last 15% of the expected life span, THAT would be optimal except for the influx of chasers (& if a TS in this area, a huriricane would have gone through San Antonio & the majority of salesholes would go there).
I don't want widespread damage... just gimme 2 additional houses per week. 

4 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Raining like a double bladder cow in Nola with some street flooding. 

I also got an 80 mph wind advisory on my phone from some nearby thunderstorm

Still not enough to clean the piss and shit smells out

For any of you that has roof damage, @ROFL BOX redid our roof last winter. He made it a lot easier to navigate the hell hole that is working with insurance companies and making sure they don't skimp on necessary repairs. Definitely recommend giving him a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure exactly what is up with La Niña but I like it. The surf all winter and spring has been excellent in Galveston and these northern that keep rolling through are giving us such awesome weather. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

saw something where we are supposed to have big time hurricanes this year.  maybe houston will take one in the pooper but the outskirts make it up to the travis watershed.

Every year for the past 8 years since Ike they’ve said here in Galveston we are gonna have a record hurricane year and we ain’t had shit really. Harvey barely counts because it hit so far south it just ended up lingering and pissing on Houston for 4 days strait flooding everything up there. 

17 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

For any of you that has roof damage, @ROFL BOX redid our roof last winter. He made it a lot easier to navigate the hell hole that is working with insurance companies and making sure they don't skimp on necessary repairs. Definitely recommend giving him a shot.

Same, @ROFL BOX redid a whole bunch of stuff for us from April 2023's hail storm- rebuilt a shed, painted siding, gutters, roof, etc etc.  He knew where to look for damage the insurance company missed the first and second times, things I would have completely missed.  If you hate this process as much as I do I'd highly recommend him, he makes it much easier.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm out of town. How did things fare in the Cherry Creek area of South Austin?
Got on the roof for Open Range Trail / 78749.
Old 3 Tab in serious need of replacing - nary a ding.  Doubt anyone else in the area got hit serious enough.
We did a total chimney rebuild around 1 year ago; rotten Masonite was a mess.  Cap + cricket & all the paint.
Now... if anyone of yall has a house near Marble Falls or Horseshoe Bay, let's talk.
20240410_200454.thumb.jpg.5d8569341674417349b02975f7265b58.jpg
20240410_194816.thumb.jpg.927681be447f33e47ab19b123c4d1a44.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, South Austin said:

Long-term forecasts have consistently called for rain in the 30-50% range on April 18.  It's my wedding day.  Fuck you, Alanis.

Rain can be super sexy. My best friend got married in the rain. It was gorgeous. 

23 hours ago, South Austin said:

Long-term forecasts have consistently called for rain in the 30-50% range on April 18.  It's my wedding day.  Fuck you, Alanis.

IS your mom one of the bridesmaids?  She's the one that all your groomsmen want to walk with...

The water table here in the East Texas boonies is literally at the top of the ground.

Two months later and this is till accurate. Toledo Bend Dam currently has five gates open at a foot each.

202df0546c5253e847b02ab35551d017.jpg

After this week’s 8”+ event all the standing water around the hood has this sheen that is seeping from the ground.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, twosheds said:

Two months later and this is till accurate. Toledo Bend Dam currently has five gates open at a foot each.

202df0546c5253e847b02ab35551d017.jpg

After this week’s 8”+ event all the standing water around the hood has this sheen that is seeping from the ground.

There are naturally occurring reasons for such a sheen. Touch it with a stick. If it breaks into scales, instead of swirling, that is not petroleum.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My cousin was in town this week for several days after the eclipse. I let her borrow my old truck so she’d have a set of wheels. She spent much of the week at her half brother’s place in Allandale.
She returned the truck this morning, mortified and apologized that it was out in the hail on Tuesday that hit their hood, and has dents all over it.
We had a good laugh. It’s a 1999 beat up truck. The dents give it character. If it got a few more, it’d help its aerodynamics, like a golf ball. No glass broken, so all is good.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My cousin was in town this week for several days after the eclipse. I let her borrow my old truck so she’d have a set of wheels. She spent much of the week at her half brother’s place in Allandale.
She returned the truck this morning, mortified and apologized that it was out in the hail on Tuesday that hit their hood, and has dents all over it.
We had a good laugh. It’s a 1999 beat up truck. The dents give it character. If it got a few more, it’d help its aerodynamics, like a golf ball. No glass broken, so all is good.

I still bring my 2004 4Runner with 220k miles in under the trees during hail. Mainly for the glass though. Paint and body are way done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

She spent much of the week at her half brother’s place in Allandale.

Got on 2 houses (prior customer) near Laird & Brentwood...

Roofs are toasted.  The headache for both is those cottage houses are being torn down & larger, updated houses are going in, homeowners in the smaller houses are uncertain about what to do if a damaged roof can hold out for even 2 years without a serious leak & they might end up selling.

🤔

On 4/10/2024 at 8:54 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

We got over 4 inches last night in parts of houston. Been a wet ass spring

If 4 inches is all you have to work with, well I guess that's what you brag about.  At least you used lube.