Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

13 minutes ago, royiv said:

Byrne may regret saying that they would have a new coach announcement with 72 hours.

Well he’s directly related to Bill Byrne, isn’t he? I think he’s Bill’s son? So I completely expect him to screw this up. Probably not to the extent that Bjork did, but it might still get ugly.

13 minutes ago, royiv said:

Byrne may regret saying that they would have a new coach announcement with 72 hours.

The issue is the rush…and all the speculation. It’s not clown show like aggie but Saban did them no favors there. Whether or not he was deciding until the last minute he left them holding the bag 💰 which is ironic. Just say we will have the HC announcement Monday. Oh well. Crazy. Jimmy Sexton working deals like a mofo. 

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I wonder if they've reached out to Demeco Ryans already too. Doubt he'd leave but it'd be a lot more money at Bama, his alma mater.

Probably their first call. It would’ve been mine. 

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I wonder if they've reached out to Demeco Ryans already too. Doubt he'd leave but it'd be a lot more money at Bama, his alma mater.

Damn, I don’t really follow NFL coaches salaries but my first impression was this had to be wrong. Nope. He just signed a 6 year deal worth $28M. 

It’s a huge range from the highest paid NFL coaches to the lowest. 

• Drool 1

53 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Lot of mid coaches getting raises they don’t deserve because of saban

Same thing happened the last time Texas needed a baseball head coach.

Every big time college baseball coach got a huge raise to stay put.

Edited by BachelorTrek

23 minutes ago, The Dog said:

DeBoer to the Seahawks seems like a better fit for him -- if Seattle wants him.

This is how these things go in nearly every case. I don't care what job is open. Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame to take the LSU job is not the norm. It is exceedingly rare that a program gets its #1 or even #2 target. Usually, you get down to like #5 or lower on your list. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't.

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Damn, I don’t really follow NFL coaches salaries but my first impression was this had to be wrong. Nope. He just signed a 6 year deal worth $28M. 

Yeah for some reason college tends to pay coaches more than NFL. I think Dan Campbell has similar to Ryans and he turned down his alma mater ATM. I think a lot of guys just want to be in the big leagues and don't want to deal with recruiting, so are willing to take less to be there. Can't blame them.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah for some reason college tends to pay coaches more than NFL. I think Dan Campbell has similar to Ryans and he turned down his alma mater ATM. I think a lot of guys just want to be in the big leagues and don't want to deal with recruiting, so are willing to take less to be there. Can't blame them.

Agree. Not that there's a lot of work life balance in the coaching profession, but at least there's a modicum of it in the pros.

Just now, royiv said:

Agree. Not that there's a lot of work life balance in the coaching profession, but at least there's a modicum of it in the pros.

Not to mention, recruiting sorta seems like it would suck. A lot of people wouldn't enjoy spending hours per day traveling to podunk towns and sucking up to high schoolers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This is how these things go in nearly every case. I don't care what job is open. Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame to take the LSU job is not the norm. It is exceedingly rare that a program gets its #1 or even #2 target. Usually, you get down to like #5 or lower on your list. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't.

Then schools should just put their #1 target down as their #5 target. 

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Honestly, college coaches deserve more.  They are the coach, the GM, have to kiss boosters' asses, have to kiss players' asses, have to kiss players' parents' asses, have to keep kids in class/eligible and now they have to recruit their entire roster every single year.  365 days a year they do this.

NFL coaches just coach and weigh in on personnel decisions.  That's it.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sir have you already forgotten about the time when the Fightin Texas Aggies stole a championship coach from Florida State?

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Hold the phone, the Detroit Pistons' coach is making $13M/year???!?!!   Didn't I see that they just lost something like 30 in a row?

If I was in the coaching profession his agent would be my agent.

• Drool 1

33 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The NFL is paying their GM and entire roster too. And NFL coaches get an actual offseason. A little different.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39294498/deboer-negotiating-contract-alabama-replace-saban

Washington's Kalen DeBoer, who guided the Huskies to a Pac-12 championship and a spot in the CFP National Championship Game this past season, is negotiating a contract to replace Alabama's Nick Saban, sources told ESPN on Friday.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Unless you are aggy, then you ALWAYS get your first choice.

Applies to croots, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

I cannot wait to see what he does once Saban's players leave/transfer out. Even with the Alabama brand, he's going to have to put in as much if not more work at Bama to attract/keep a high level of talent. I think the Huskies may find they dodged a bullet at over 9MM a year as time goes on and they settle in a middling Big 10 team.