2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

This is dumb

image.thumb.png.6316bc6dd4722f744a4adcbdc67b5a71.png

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/07/biden-intel-briefings-trump-00145651

U.S. intelligence officials are planning to brief Donald Trump on national security matters if he secures the GOP nomination this summer — despite concerns about his handling of classified information.

The decision would be in keeping with a tradition that dates back to 1952, but it would mark the first time an administration has volunteered to share classified information with a candidate who is facing criminal charges related to the mishandling of classified documents.

The Biden administration intends to share intelligence with the former president no matter the outcome of his trial in Florida, according to a senior intelligence official and a second person with knowledge of internal conversations. They, like some others interviewed, were granted anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations.

The sit-down is not legally required, but for the last 72 years, incumbent administrations have tapped the spy agencies to read in the candidates of both major political parties on some of the most pressing threats to the country. While often this is just one meeting, sometimes candidates receive several briefings.

The briefings, which are managed by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and approved by the White House, normally take place after the national conventions in late summer.

• Rage+1 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This is dumb

U.S. intelligence officials are planning to brief Donald Trump on national security matters if he secures the GOP nomination this summer — despite concerns about his handling of classified information.

The decision would be in keeping with a tradition that dates back to 1952, but it would mark the first time an administration has volunteered to share classified information with a candidate who is facing criminal charges related to the mishandling of classified documents.

The Biden administration intends to share intelligence with the former president no matter the outcome of his trial in Florida, according to a senior intelligence official and a second person with knowledge of internal conversations. They, like some others interviewed, were granted anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations.

The sit-down is not legally required, but for the last 72 years, incumbent administrations have tapped the spy agencies to read in the candidates of both major political parties on some of the most pressing threats to the country. While often this is just one meeting, sometimes candidates receive several briefings.

The briefings, which are managed by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and approved by the White House, normally take place after the national conventions in late summer.

Sure, it seems dumb on its face.  But, knowing what we know of Dotard's IQ and attention span, this will likely be the kind of briefing he gets on Ukraine, for example:

file-20220502-6157-6ru4ob.png?ixlib=rb-1

....accompanied by a senior official making "BOOM!" and "BOOSH!" noises for effect.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I said on this very board that the way they reacted after 2020 was like a guy who bet big on a fight he thought was fixed and was totally stunned and angry he lost. Also, since every accusation is a confession I assume the specific voting machines they were complaining about are the same ones they hacked in 2016 to add/delete or change votes. I think they ran the same play in 2020 but didn't account for the larger turnout. 

Holy shit.

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure, it seems dumb on its face.  But, knowing what we know of Dotard's IQ and attention span, this will likely be the kind of briefing he gets on Ukraine, for example:

file-20220502-6157-6ru4ob.png?ixlib=rb-1

....accompanied by a senior official making "BOOM!" and "BOOSH!" noises for effect.

Brief him, but don't let him take notes or take any documents out of the room. And wand him for electronic recording devices. 

3 minutes ago, SamsCorner said:

Holy shit.

just asking questions

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

What is to stop them from briefing him with fake information to see if it gets out?  Kind of like a sting operation.  

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Biden shouldn’t:

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

What is to stop them from briefing him with fake information to see if it gets out?  Kind of like a sting operation.  

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That.....is actually a brilliant idea.

Like ABSCAM, Jerry.  Like ABSCAM.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I realize this lumps me into conspiracy whacko territory but i have never let go of the notion that something fucky was done to get him in the first time. I then apply that hypothesis to all of his actions before and since the 2020 election regarding "fraud." It was and still is plain as day to me that it was rigged the first time, people woke up, and then they couldn't get away with what worked the first time. He expected to win, and not because he should have. That's why he threw such a fit. I may never see this proven, but it'll take a lot to convince me otherwise. *takes off tinfoil hat*

I absolutely think (and it has been proven) that the Russians helped him win, but I still think even HE didn't think it would actually work.  That picture of him on election night when it became apparent he would win says it all.  Everyone in the room celebrating except him just sitting there with a "holy shit, now what do I do?" look on his face.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Tell them some absolute hogwash about a Ukraine offensive to draw Russian reserves away from the real offensive. 

The freshwater condenser on Midway Island has broken down. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 2

Posted (edited)

I know the SOTU thread is going nuts right now, so I didn’t want this to get lost. I was letting wife watch her tv shows while I followed SOTU here, but when she was done I flipped to the speech. She’s voted D since 2004. Her reaction, angrily, was he’s too old. She’ll obviously vote for him again, but I just don’t understand this anger.

Yes, he’s old. I told her if he wins, in 2028 we’ll probably get Newsom or Mayor Pete or Whitmer. She immediately bristled at Newsom because “you can’t put up someone from California!” (what up Reagan). But just wtf is going on?  Why are Dems so afraid?  

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 2

GOODNESS GRACIOUS GREAT BALLS OF FIRE. IM HEARING HE WAS TOO ANGRY AND ANIMATED DURING THE SPEECH. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?

this critique is gold coming from the party of hate, anger, and fear mongering.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I know the SOTU thread is going nuts right now, so I didn’t want this to get lost. I was letting wife watch her tv shows while I followed SOTU here, but when she was done I flipped to the speech. She’s voted D since 2004. Her reaction, angrily, was he’s too old. She’ll obviously vote for him again, but I just don’t understand this anger.

Yes, he’s old. I told her if he wins, in 2028 we’ll probably get Newsom or Mayor Pete or Whitmer. She immediately bristled at Newsom because “you can’t put up someone from California!” (what up Reagan). But just wtf is going on?  Why are Dems so afraid?  

The other fucking guy is nearly as old, and far less healthy. It's like complaining that he's a white man, or an east coast elite. If the only other opponent is the exact same thing, how is that an argument?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

The other fucking guy is nearly as old, and far less healthy. It's like complaining that he's a white man, or an east coast elite. If the only other opponent is the exact same thing, how is that an argument?

I had someone tell me the other day that Biden is too old and they wish Bernie was president

Bernie will be 83 in November. So why is that different??!

• Haha 2

Just now, Js1 said:

I had someone tell me the other day that Biden is too old and they wish Bernie was president

Bernie will be 83 in November. So why is that different??!

I just don’t see why it matters if he is good at the job, which he clearly is. Are they just afraid of him dying in office?

3 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Its the only thing they have to try to attack Biden 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Interesting article in The Atlantic that Dems are lukewarm about Biden and his age because he promised to be a bridge to younger candidates.

However, I don't find that very fair - Biden would have 100% stepped aside IF AND ONLY IF Trump was not going to the 2024 GOP nominee.  It was pretty much circumstances that Biden felt he had to run again to stop Trump, considering all the 2023 polling showed Trump was going to win the GOP primary pretty easily. 

I think by November, it will be a pretty easy thing to knock back with Dems - it's democracy or Trump.  Biden stepping aside pretty much would have guaranteed Trump winning.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 7

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, bolverk said:

This is dumb

Feed him false shit, see where it floats up (Russia, China, N. Korea, Saudi Arabia, etc). 

edit: Damn y'all quick. 

Edited by High Plains Drifter

I'm surprised that Trump didn't deliver the GOP response to the SOTU last night. I know it's the standard that a member of Congress deliver it, but what does that matter. And I don't believe for a second that the networks or cable channels wouldn't have carried Trump's response.

Big miss by Trump to let someone else go after Biden. If I was Biden, I would call out Trump in being afraid to take policy for 5 minutes. As well as telling Trump he made a mistake. Trump will take the bait.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I agree, but don't know how to convince other Dems in my life that are BIG MAD about Biden running again.

Just make sure they get to the polls and keep hammering away about it. As we get closer, that fucking guy will remind them why they need to fucking vote 

• Hook 'Em 3

I didn't know the former mayor of Dallas was involved in this. And how can they run a candidate if they're not a political party? How the fuck does that work?

No Labels, a Centrist Group, Moves Toward a Third-Party Presidential Bid
The group said it had voted to nominate a ticket, but did not announce which candidate might run on its ballot line. Democrats have worried that such a bid could siphon support from President Biden.

The centrist group No Labels said on Friday that it would move forward with plans to nominate a presidential ticket, a move that, if it comes to fruition, would add another complicating factor to the November election.

Leaders of the group announced the plan after an online meeting of its members. The group said it had 800 delegates who voted “near unanimously” to nominate a ticket. No Labels has yet to announce a candidate who might run on its ballot line, however, and several of the best-known politicians it has courted have ruled out a presidential run on a third-party ticket.

“Even though we met virtually, their emotion and desire to bring this divided nation back together came right through the screen,” said Mike Rawlings, No Labels’s national convention chair.

The meeting came at a pivotal moment for No Labels. As state deadlines approach for getting on the ballot for the November election, the group had to move quickly to decide whether to begin a third-party bid, and name its ticket.

No Labels’s evolution from a bipartisan, think tank-like organization to a would-be third party, with aspirations of a presidential candidacy, has alarmed many Democrats, who worry that the group could pull critical votes away from President Biden in battleground states.

“No Labels has put their dangerous, reckless thought experiment ahead of the rights and freedoms of millions of Americans and the future of our democracy,” said Rahna Epting, the executive director of MoveOn, the liberal activist group. “Any candidates who join the No Labels presidential ticket will be complicit in making it easier for Donald Trump and MAGA extremists to win a second term in the White House.”

No Labels’s operations have been cloaked in secrecy. The national group is technically not a political party but a nonprofit social welfare organization, so it does not have to disclose its donors or provide details about its activities.

Last year, its leaders were trying to raise $70 million for ballot access efforts. At the time, they said they would hold a national convention in Dallas in April, but that plan has since been jettisoned. The group’s delegates expect to vote on a ticket selected by the group’s leaders, people involved with the group have said.

Even the means by which it would pick a ticket are unclear. The group has said it has 800 “delegates” in all 50 states who would play some role in selecting the candidates, but their names have never been disclosed, and the number could not be independently verified.

No Labels leaders have said they will nominate a ticket if Mr. Biden and former President Donald J. Trump are the main parties’ nominees, as is now all but certain. The group’s leaders have said that their so-called “unity ticket” would have a Republican presidential candidate and a Democratic running mate.

But the group is running low on potential contenders.

As recently as January, the group was still courting or considering prominent current and former politicians including Jon Huntsman Jr., the Republican former governor of Utah; Larry Hogan, the Republican former governor of Maryland; and Senator Joe Manchin III, the conservative West Virginia Democrat, who has said he will not seek re-election.

In February, Mr. Hogan announced that he would run for Maryland’s open Senate seat. A week later, Mr. Manchin ruled out running for president. “I will not be seeking a third-party run,” he said.

Another problem for No Labels: As of January, the group was on the ballot in just 14 states, although it said it was “active” — gathering signatures and filing for ballot access — in more than a dozen others.

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump now has full control over the RNC.  He’s gonna drain their coffers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68517606

Down-ballot candidates: GET FUCKED!

I learned the hard way that when you do a google image search for “get fucked” without safe search on, you don’t get the Simon pegg gif you’re looking for.

Plenty of other peg gifs though. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump now has full control over the RNC.  He’s gonna drain their coffers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68517606

Down-ballot candidates: GET FUCKED!

He cements control of the RNC coffers the same day he posts a 95+ mill bond that he’d been slow walking AFTER also getting a cool 1/2 bill settlement against him.

Im sure it’s just a coincidence .

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 3

The Biden White House has no doubt acknowledged this some time ago, but the hard cold truth is there is no longer a two party system or a loyal opposition. There is the Democratic Party dueling with a single individual - Donald Trump.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Just make sure they get to the polls and keep hammering away about it. As we get closer, that fucking guy will remind them why they need to fucking vote 

I’m not worried.  Biden had a good SOTU and the repub response was ridiculed by all sides. Britt was beyond horrible. 

The polls will narrow as the election gets closer and more people enter the fold. It won’t take Trump long to remind most people why they voted against him 4 years ago or 8 years ago. The guy has the maturity of a 1st grader.

• Hook 'Em 6

50 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I’m not worried.  Biden had a good SOTU and the repub response was ridiculed by all sides. Britt was beyond horrible. 

The polls will narrow as the election gets closer and more people enter the fold. It won’t take Trump long to remind most people why they voted against him 4 years ago or 8 years ago. The guy has the maturity of a 1st grader.

Yep,but no way Trump can duplicate his former self--he's unhealthy, has no stamina--can watch him short circuit during every speech now, is a substantial number of brain cells lighter and only had a 3rd graders vocabulary initially.  Even his nicknames no longer have any bite--sleepy Joe again?  Yep, sleepy Joe beat that cheating ass and is campaigning from a place of power because America got sick of Dotard, and booted his bloated ass.  Now, he'll remind and flog the American memory with his dim witted cons and antics.    He's a dumber person than before, and it'll bear out. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Yep,but no way Trump can duplicate his former self--he's unhealthy, has no stamina--can watch him short circuit during every speech now, is a substantial number of brain cells lighter and only had a 3rd graders vocabulary initially.  Even his nicknames no longer have any bite--sleepy Joe again?  Yep, sleepy Joe beat that cheating ass and is campaigning from a place of power because America got sick of Dotard, and booted his bloated ass.  Now, he'll remind and flog the American memory with his dim witted cons and antics.    He's a dumber person than before, and it'll bear out. 

Look at the exit polling in most of these primary states so far.  With the exception of probably South Carolina, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Alabama lots of republican voters ( nearly 50% or more) said they were “not part of” the MAGA movement.

Trump has no way to win back the suburb folks that the GOP has lost.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, bolverk said:

I didn't know the former mayor of Dallas was involved in this. And how can they run a candidate if they're not a political party? How the fuck does that work?

No Labels, a Centrist Group, Moves Toward a Third-Party Presidential Bid
The group said it had voted to nominate a ticket, but did not announce which candidate might run on its ballot line. Democrats have worried that such a bid could siphon support from President Biden.

The centrist group No Labels said on Friday that it would move forward with plans to nominate a presidential ticket, a move that, if it comes to fruition, would add another complicating factor to the November election.

Leaders of the group announced the plan after an online meeting of its members. The group said it had 800 delegates who voted “near unanimously” to nominate a ticket. No Labels has yet to announce a candidate who might run on its ballot line, however, and several of the best-known politicians it has courted have ruled out a presidential run on a third-party ticket.

“Even though we met virtually, their emotion and desire to bring this divided nation back together came right through the screen,” said Mike Rawlings, No Labels’s national convention chair.

The meeting came at a pivotal moment for No Labels. As state deadlines approach for getting on the ballot for the November election, the group had to move quickly to decide whether to begin a third-party bid, and name its ticket.

No Labels’s evolution from a bipartisan, think tank-like organization to a would-be third party, with aspirations of a presidential candidacy, has alarmed many Democrats, who worry that the group could pull critical votes away from President Biden in battleground states.

“No Labels has put their dangerous, reckless thought experiment ahead of the rights and freedoms of millions of Americans and the future of our democracy,” said Rahna Epting, the executive director of MoveOn, the liberal activist group. “Any candidates who join the No Labels presidential ticket will be complicit in making it easier for Donald Trump and MAGA extremists to win a second term in the White House.”

No Labels’s operations have been cloaked in secrecy. The national group is technically not a political party but a nonprofit social welfare organization, so it does not have to disclose its donors or provide details about its activities.

Last year, its leaders were trying to raise $70 million for ballot access efforts. At the time, they said they would hold a national convention in Dallas in April, but that plan has since been jettisoned. The group’s delegates expect to vote on a ticket selected by the group’s leaders, people involved with the group have said.

Even the means by which it would pick a ticket are unclear. The group has said it has 800 “delegates” in all 50 states who would play some role in selecting the candidates, but their names have never been disclosed, and the number could not be independently verified.

No Labels leaders have said they will nominate a ticket if Mr. Biden and former President Donald J. Trump are the main parties’ nominees, as is now all but certain. The group’s leaders have said that their so-called “unity ticket” would have a Republican presidential candidate and a Democratic running mate.

But the group is running low on potential contenders.

As recently as January, the group was still courting or considering prominent current and former politicians including Jon Huntsman Jr., the Republican former governor of Utah; Larry Hogan, the Republican former governor of Maryland; and Senator Joe Manchin III, the conservative West Virginia Democrat, who has said he will not seek re-election.

In February, Mr. Hogan announced that he would run for Maryland’s open Senate seat. A week later, Mr. Manchin ruled out running for president. “I will not be seeking a third-party run,” he said.

Another problem for No Labels: As of January, the group was on the ballot in just 14 states, although it said it was “active” — gathering signatures and filing for ballot access — in more than a dozen others.

Fuck your Rawlings, fuck all 800 of you most likely Republican shitbags. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1