People keep moving to Texas, mostly

With 1.19 million total residents, Collin County experienced the second largest growth in the country and added 36,364 people last year. Harris County grew by 53,788 residents and is the largest gaining county in the nation. The county is the third most populous county in the U.S. and has a total of 4.83 million.  

Half of the counties with the highest levels of domestic migration were also in the state. Collin County saw the fourth-largest domestic inflow with 20,749 residents relocating into the area. Denton County was fifth and saw 19,262 people move into the area.  

Dallas County, however, placed eighth for outflow and saw 34,330 people leave the county, up from the 18,985 who left in 2022.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/dfw-surpasses-8m-residents-top-metro-growth-in-nation-census-reports/287-8126e50e-c2ba-4253-af2a-ea047b119a81

The Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington MSA, in turn, comprises two Metropolitan Divisions (MDs): the Fort Worth-Arlington MD, which includes Hood, Johnson, Parker, Somervell, Tarrant and Wise counties, and the Dallas-Plano-Irving MD, which includes Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hunt, Kaufman and Rockwall counties.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/economy/economic-data/regions/2020/metroplex.php

Largest Gaining

Eight of the 10 counties that led the nation by numeric change in 2023 were in Texas. This included Harris County, which added 53,788 residents and was the largest-gaining county in the nation, followed by Collin County (36,364) and Montgomery County (31,800).

Maricopa County, Arizona, the largest-gaining county in the nation in 2022, dropped to fourth in 2023 with a gain of just over 30,000 residents. Polk County, Florida, ranked fifth after adding 29,948 residents.

The remaining top five population gainers were all in Texas: Denton (29,943); Fort Bend (27,859); Bexar (27,488); Tarrant (27,301); and Williamson (24,918). Denton County gained nearly 30,000 new residents, pushing its population to just over 1 million and making it the seventh Texas county to reach this milestone. 

___

The Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX metro area surpassed 8 million residents between 2022 and 2023, adding 152,598 residents for a total population of 8,100,037. This was the largest numeric population increase of any U.S. metro area between 2022 and 2023, followed by Houston-Pasadena-The Woodlands, TX, which added 139,789 over the same period, bringing its total population to 7,510,253.

Other metro areas that experienced notable population gains between 2022 and 2023 included Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA (68,585); Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL (54,916); Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL (51,622); Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC (50,458); and Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX (50,105).

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2024/population-estimates-more-counties-population-gains-2023.html

418 people a day on average move to DFW. It's spread out over 13 counties, but I think they all get on 35 at some point and damn few know how to drive. 

How much can the grid handle without major upgrades that I'm sure wheelie isn't on top of?

Been in southern Collin Co for about 15 years and it feels like half of Mumbai and half of the Middle East moved here since then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Saw this tweet the other day which got me thinking where people who don't make this much have to go to afford a home. It's definitely not within the city limits unless you want to live in the scarier parts of town. 

Edited by mdmost

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Saw this tweet the other day which got me thinking where people who don't make this much have to go to afford a home. It's definitely not within the city limits unless you want to live in the scarier parts of town. 

It’d be lower if they dropped the leased Mercedes

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

They are building houses like crazy up in Celina. 2500 people in 2000 to 250,000 people in 2050. Anna, Melissa, Van Alstyne are all going to have similar growth as well. 

It’s disgusting. Way too many people. 

saw it happen to Mansfield too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Hermanator said:

How much can the grid handle without major upgrades that I'm sure wheelie isn't on top of?

Been in southern Collin Co for about 15 years and it feels like half of Mumbai and half of the Middle East moved here since then. 

You don't like all the CHOWRASTA places opening on every corner?

*honestly not too bad*

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

1.2 million people live in Collin County?

Holy fuck. That's more than Travis. 

If you told me growing up that Plano would have high rise residential condos I would have thought you were nuts, but here we are.

• Hook 'Em 1

Isn't by their very definitions, immigration versus emigration (from an interstate standpoint), truly binary?  So are people coming here to flee oppressive state government regimes or are they coming here to onboard their coastal elitism into Texas?  Because every other week, the story is different and I haz confuse.  We all do know objectively that the state's demography is changing, that much we can agree on.  So is the net result of out of state relocates, bringing in a net gain or one side of the aisle or the other?  That's just how humans and ballots moving work.  I didn't invent borders or maths.  Though I did stay at a Holiday Inn in Temecula last night.  

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

I was reliably told Texas is failing and is a failed state.  Why do people keep moving here??

Its mostly republicans fleeing democratic states

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Smax said:

Its mostly republicans fleeing democratic states

Could be?  Is there a link to back that up?

I know lots of Californians that have moved to Texas.  Not a single one of them could be described as "Republican."

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

I think I posted this in another thread, but it seems like a huge trend with my demographic (age, kids' age, jobs/education, race) is that people who bought into Frisco when it was considered the BFE and South Oklahoma that no cool or hip person would move to, built/bought a house for 300-500k like 20 years ago. Well, the last 24 months through present, everyone is selling for $1-2mm then going even further to north Prosper or Celina and buying a good amount of land (or at least acreaged lots) and custom building the dream home with best in breed trim and fixings, and still pocketing a huge amount of cash liquid.

This worked really well during Covid-19 and when WFH was 100%. What sucks is if you have to get downtown as, with traffic, it's like a 90 minute drive in rush hour. Seriously. Even just getting back to Frisco/Legacy West is like 30 minutes. Might as well report in to an Oklahoma City office at this point.

Edited by BeardIP

8 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I think I posted this in another thread, but it seems like a huge trend with my demographic (age, kids' age, jobs/education, race) is that people who bought into Frisco when it was considered the BFE and South Oklahoma that no cool or hip person would move to, built/bought a house for 300-500k like 20 years ago. Well, the last 24 months through present, everyone is selling for $1-2mm then going even further to north Prosper or Celina and buying a good amount of land (or at least acreaged lots) and custom building the dream home with best in breed trim and fixings, and still pocketing a huge amount of cash liquid.

This worked really well during Covid-19 and when WFH was 100%. What sucks is if you have to get downtown as, with traffic, it's like a 90 minute drive in rush hour. Seriously. Even just getting back to Frisco/Legacy West is like 30 minutes. Might as well report in to an Oklahoma City office at this point.

I hear Ardmore is the hottest new thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Yep.  Close to the Star here.  Stonebrook and Teal area.  Tollway sucks a big bag of dicks these days.  Lucky for me what I do have to go to the office, I go the back way through the Colony to get on 121.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I know lots of Californians that have moved to Texas.  Not a single one of them could be described as "Republican."

Aside from my wife, everyone I know that has moved here from California is conservative af.
  • Hook 'Em 4

There's tons of offices up there now. Not everyone has to go to Dallas for work.

And a huge portion of the population influx is from China, India, various Arab nations from North Africa to the Persian gulf countries, Korea, Japan, etc.

I teach at a middle school on the West side of Plano and our campus is about 30% white. Our biggest population demo groups are Indian and Chinese. My campus has around 50 different languages represented among the students.

Plano ISD as a whole is about 30% white now, where that was probably like 95% in the 1980s.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

And a huge portion of the population influx is from China, India, various Arab nations from North Africa to the Persian gulf countries, Korea, Japan, etc.

I hate North African republicans. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Isn't by their very definitions, immigration versus emigration (from an interstate standpoint), truly binary?  So are people coming here to flee oppressive state government regimes or are they coming here to onboard their coastal elitism into Texas?  Because every other week, the story is different and I haz confuse.  We all do know objectively that the state's demography is changing, that much we can agree on.  So is the net result of out of state relocates, bringing in a net gain or one side of the aisle or the other?  That's just how humans and ballots moving work.  I didn't invent borders or maths.  Though I did stay at a Holiday Inn in Temecula last night.  

I prefer the Hacienda Courts.

45 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Aside from my wife, everyone I know that has moved here from California is conservative af.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Here’s a screenshot but I could look but the article is long as fuck:

IMG_9592.thumb.png.9da31bb90e075863c2a0148b6e42be7e.png

I don’t know any liberal Californians that want to goto Texas unless they can’t afford it here

• Hook 'Em 3

I continue to live in Texas for the paycheck. Texas is good for the salary to cost of living equation. But I hope to launch at least my daughter if not both my kids out of state until the politics get normal. I hope to sell my inflated ATX property and find me some cooler summer weather. But realistically we will settle in near some kiddo if we get grandkids. I just want to avoid granite - that ain't easy for holes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Here’s a screenshot but I could look but the article is long as fuck:

IMG_9592.thumb.png.9da31bb90e075863c2a0148b6e42be7e.png

I don’t know any liberal Californians that want to goto Texas unless they can’t afford it here

That talks about desires, but I didn't see anything about actions.  I'm interested in seeing if there are actually any studies of people who have already moved, that would support the assertion that "it's mostly Republicans fleeing Democratic states."

And it's not so much "can't afford to live in California" but more like "can buy more for their money" in Texas.  I'm an engineer/business guy in high tech in Austin, most of the California transplants I know are tech workers that have relocated, often for the same company but switching from bay area offices, to Texas ones, to make their money stretch further.  And like I said, not a one of them would be classified as conservative or Republican.  

23 minutes ago, utee94 said:

That talks about desires, but I didn't see anything about actions.  I'm interested in seeing if there are actually any studies of people who have already moved, that would support the assertion that "it's mostly Republicans fleeing Democratic states."

And it's not so much "can't afford to live in California" but more like "can buy more for their money" in Texas.  I'm an engineer/business guy in high tech in Austin, most of the California transplants I know are tech workers that have relocated, often for the same company but switching from bay area offices, to Texas ones, to make their money stretch further.  And like I said, not a one of them would be classified as conservative or Republican.  

The average home in Austin is what 500-600?  Its 1.4 in Irvine and we’re nothing like the Bay Area 

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  Close to the Star here.  Stonebrook and Teal area.  Tollway sucks a big bag of dicks these days.  Lucky for me what I do have to go to the office, I go the back way through the Colony to get on 121.  

All that and the DNT is about to start expansion into Prosper and Celina, so the whole southbound commute through Frisco will be permafucked.  

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/dallas-north-tollway-extending-prosper-celina/287-b595c6c7-d1f5-4dcf-b83c-3d32163d7145

I didn't realize you're so close to me-- I'm in Castle Hills and can't imagine living any further north than you but I'm already worn out of DFW and searching for communities out of the state.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm an engineer/business guy in high tech in Austin, most of the California transplants I know are tech workers that have relocated, often for the same company but switching from bay area offices, to Texas ones, to make their money stretch further.  

Apropos of nothing, but I'm curious:  when someone transfers within a company from the Bay area to (say) Austin, do they have to take a pay cut?

3 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Yep when I lived in little elm getting to the office downtown was 90 minutes on a normal sometimes a hell of a lot longer. Getting to Kroger on 380 a couple miles down the road to took 30-45 and a complete beating. Most of the people moving to those areas have no idea how much that sucks. LA traffic sucks but I can hit a few stores in 15 minutes or a Mercado on weekend easily. 

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Apropos of nothing, but I'm curious:  when someone transfers within a company from the Bay area to (say) Austin, do they have to take a pay cut?

No that’s not a thing or if it is I hope those people quit

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm interested in seeing if there are actually any studies of people who have already moved, that would support the assertion that "it's mostly Republicans fleeing Democratic states."

I saw an article from a while back that I couldn't find that said it was roughly split about even when you examine where all the people are coming from and their motivations or what industry they work in, etc. People forget that a shitton of people from the Deep South also moved to Texas.

Anyway, I couldn't find the article again, but did run across this from the TPPF. They, too, say the partisanship of migrants is about even.

https://www.texaspolicy.com/new-poll-finds-all-those-people-moving-to-texas-arent-going-to-be-voting-for-democrats/

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, Bay Area/NYC is highest pay zone. At our company Austin would be a 20% cut, and I’d say that’s standard for FAANGs and other big tech cos. 

11 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Yes, Bay Area/NYC is highest pay zone. At our company Austin would be a 20% cut, and I’d say that’s standard for FAANGs and other big tech cos. 

I assumed so.  I was approached by a couple of Cali companies outside of LA and the pay was noticeably higher.  I figured the reverse should be true.