Baltimore Bridge Disaster

tx 3 putt

53 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

It's 1000% worse. Nothing in US infrastructure frightens me after spending more time than I care to admit in India. 

Vietnam is close - only redeeming quality they have is that everything on the roads are scooters.  They can stop on a dime.  You want to cross the road.  You just go.  Most aren't going that fast and will swerve around you like a school of fish.  When they finally get cars......stand by.  There are essentially zero traffic laws and the roads are tiny.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

image.thumb.png.401a70d915134ac5ee98a7f89e1570d5.png

white knuckled over this bad boy in high winds a few times.   No bueno.

St.Petersburg, FL

I wonder why the FSK bridge didn't have these "bumper" piers like the St Pete bridge (And a lot of the bridges you see around Texas like the Rainbow Bridge and MLK bridge in Port Arthur)

Edited by Pescado_Rojo

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

You add more to those routes? I spent a lot of time in Hampton/Norfolk area.  Baltimore is a pretty important port.

I worked Charleston for exports and never had an issue. Plus they expanded and have rail.

My point was there are options on the East Coast. But it will have an impact.

BTW- Surly Grammar police are going to nail you for using actually when not needed. Cover your ass, they are mean.

Yeah dude I did a tour at Langley. Fuck those tunnels. The Chesapeake bay bridge 17 miles of tunnel bridge white knuckle shit to get to the eastern shore  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Coronado.   Cool to drive. Even cooler to get to the other side.

Some people don't want to get to the other side. Baby sister of the Golden Gate when it comes to jumpers. (St Pete bridge is also a popular destination for ending things.)

image.png.d62f2cb10c8db79fd714b2c968843c6d.png

Took a got damn open window trolly over this bridge in 2019. Wasn’t even sure it had the power to make the climb and the driver stayed in the right lane the whole time . Couldn’t even look out the window it was so fucking nerve wracking plus we had our two little kids with us. Needless to say we took an Uber back.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I’ve driven over this bridge over 50 times already this year and every single time I think about that bridge collapsing. The cruise ships that dock in NO are absolutely taller than the street level of the bridge. I assume the cruise ships need to take on some water to get low enough to make it under, but the thought that they may have grazed the bridge and caused some damage is in the back of my mind every time I cross it.

IMG_1443.jpeg

Just remember, those bridges were built by the lowest bidder who then had to pay 25% of that money in kickbacks to crooked Louisiana politicians. I'm sure they used the highest quality materials and highly qualified labor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Literally every fear and nightmare I have coming up on bridges. I drive as fast as I can over them and those fucking tunnels in Norfolk 

Well that's better than the dipshits that drive 35 in them and fuck everything up

11 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Just remember, those bridges were built by the lowest bidder who then had to pay 25% of that money in kickbacks to crooked Louisiana politicians. I'm sure they used the highest quality materials and highly qualified labor. 

IMG_1444.gif

27 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

New mandatory reading for Maryland DOT officials just dropped.

image.thumb.jpeg.07585cde5edc3e6f40cf6f110aef035b.jpeg

What I've always loved about that is that the pic is of the SECOND edition.  As in, "hmmmm, we need to improve on the FIRST edition.  Is there anything we left out of that one that we need to add?"  "Well, Captain....in the first edition, you left out the part about how to actually AVOID huge ships."  "Dammit son, you're right!  Good catch.  I'll add that in."

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

My brother--when we're in San Francisco, I won't do it.  The last couple times to Napa, Mrs.LL knows I am going to pull over at the scenic overlook before we get to the Golden Gate Bridge and she is driving across.  I'm going to sit there and stare at my phone in the passenger seat as we go across.  But there's no fucking way I'm driving it.

The weird thing is--I'll walk out on it.  I mean, not to the center.  But I'll go out a hundred feet or so onto the bridge on the sidewalk.  But no fucking way I'm driving.

Fly direct in to Sonoma (STS) out of Dallas and avoid the bridge.  

In my younger days I ran the Presidio 10k where they drop you on the other side of the GG and you run back across.  Woke up with my babymama and we looked outside and the weather was dicey but she wanted to go and undefeated and such.  We hopped up and got on the bus to go get dropped off.  Crossing the bridge I looked west and saw a fucking monsoon brewing.  Glanced at her and shook my head.  Running back across that bridge the rain was blowing sideways, I was cold af, and waiting for it to collapse so I could die.  Miserable. Only saving grace was she felt bad so she ran with me up until the end (she'd normally have beat me by 10 minutes) and I sprinted to the end and beat her for my only racing victory over 15 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

For a real ass-puckering bridge adventure, may I suggest taking an iced-over Mackinaw Bridge on a cold, windy day?

200 feet above the water and 5 miles in total with a longest span around 3/4 of a mile long.

image.png.a0babbb319fabb0562ae1ff39c28d9c4.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Prepare your anus 3

5 minutes ago, choripan said:

For a real ass-puckering bridge adventure, may I suggest taking an iced-over Mackinaw Bridge on a cold, windy day?

200 feet above the water and 5 miles in total with a longest span around 3/4 of a mile long.

Yeah I was going to say a lot of y'all would faint on the Mackinaw Bridge. It sways pretty good in the middle.

It's not around anymore, but the old Cooper River Bridge in Charleston was insane, two way traffic, straight up and down, and waist high guardrails

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Only saving grace was she felt bad so she ran with me up until the end (she'd normally have beat me by 10 minutes) and I sprinted to the end and beat her for my only racing victory over 15 years.

It seems like this story should have had a happy(ier) ending. 

6 minutes ago, choripan said:

Got stuck on Mackinaw Island. Ferry's after 9 only go to the lower peninsula. Going across it at midnight was fun.

But I can say I got high on Rifle Range Road.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, choripan said:

Is that how you get the peaches?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

We did it first day. I don't remember which coach was our instructor, but first day he was like "okay, who wants to drive first?!" We're all raising our hand and he picks me. We all sit in the car and he's going over all the basics, put on your seatbelt, start the car...that kind of stuff. We pull up to the exit of the parking lot by the TJ cafeteria and I stop and wait for him to tell me where to go. He says "okay, drive to Bridge City" and I think I shit my pants. 

That driver's ed teacher must have had balls of steel. No fucking way am I taking new drivers to the bridge on their first day. Or maybe he wanted to die and was hoping one of you would help him out. I do love how everyone from back home learned how to drive in the TJ parking lot, though.

• Like 1

I made the mistake of visiting the royal gorge bridge from the backside. Had to drive across it - my wife was freaking out. I freak out over heights but never have had issues with bridges

Place was a huge tourist trap as well

4493869a4e54d51ee40f1909b99df0c1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Daddy Fat Sax said:

Is there anything about these big ships that makes them more likely to lose power at low speed vs cruising? Or just straight up terrible luck?

I’m not sure if it’s still an issue but I believe they had many engine problems when the US first required the switching of fuels inside our waters for air pollution.

https://www.standard-club.com/knowledge-news/web-alert-us-coast-guard-issues-safety-alert-regarding-fuel-oil-changeover-procedures-297/

12 minutes ago, naija said:

Can't say I ever had a fear of bridges, but after reading this thread, and seeing so many confess to it, I'm wondering if I've just been blissfully naive. 

I’ve always been more afraid of tunnels than bridges. Bridges don’t faze me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Alex Jones: "Looks deliberate to me. A cyber-attack is probable. WW3 has already started."

Yeah, social media has been nuts.  Because power failures never happen on cargo ships.  And there’s no current or drift of wind that would ever push a powerless ship off course.  And did the captain really signal “mayday” and did they really close the bridge?  And don’t ships stop moving as soon as they lose power?

The shit about China doing this as the start of a war would be hilarious if some of these idiots didn’t actually believe it.  Occam’s Razor means nothing to them.

At least when they rebuild it, they’ll put better barriers in (bumpers, whatever).

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Nah fuck

I would need to hear my favorite Revolutionary War historian from Massachusetts pronounce it to know how it’s properly pronounced, like for instance I leaned that “Bunker Hill” is “Bunka Hill”

Spoiler

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I made the mistake of visiting the royal gorge bridge from the backside. Had to drive across it - my wife was freaking out. I freak out over heights but never have had issues with bridges

Place was a huge tourist trap as well

4493869a4e54d51ee40f1909b99df0c1.jpg

Weird, in my experience your wife is pretty into backside approaches.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Having any kind of opinion on this if you’re not a harbor pilot or marine engineer or civil engineer or something is just super stupid.  It’s just this thing that happened, like things do.  

Plus they’ve already explained it in very simple terms, complete with a map of where the ship was going and what happened after it lost power.  I get that a lot people may not understand how drift/current/etc, work and how much mass is in one of those ships, and that just a small loss of power/control can cause enough of a deviation to run off course.  I told somebody it’s like if a big fucking tackle gets slightly nudged off course after the ball is snapped, it’s not easy for him to adjust and get back on track in just a few feet and they still couldn’t understand it.

I’m  beginning to think some people believe that all ships have a large wheel on the bridge that’s connected by pulleys and gears to the rudders.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Glad I’m not the only pussy who doesn’t like driving over big ass bridges. Not sure what it is now but damn I don’t like them and it’s kind of a new thing for me only notified I puckered up a few years ago in St. Pete. Missed a damn exit in Long Beach last weekend and had to go over that one and I was not liking it at all.