The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

49 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Hahahaha 50% is a LONG way from 95%.

Well, considering I said 95% of the owners on this board, whether that’s 10 or 10000, don’t know what it has to do with your chart or the percentages you are referencing.  Trying to determine if you are moving goal posts or need help with understanding things you read.  

33 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

30% own a gun. It is a big world outside your echo chamber 

And increasing year after year.  

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Well, considering I said 95% of the owners on this board, whether that’s 10 or 10000, don’t know what it has to do with your chart or the percentages you are referencing.  Trying to determine if you are moving goal posts or need help with understanding things you read.  

And increasing year after year.  

Go back and look at your quote.  You didn’t say “owners”.  You just said “of this board”.  If you misspoke and meant to say “of the owners on this board”, that is on you.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Go back and look at your quote.  You didn’t say “owners”.  You just said “of this board”.  If you misspoke and meant to say “of the owners on this board”, that is on you.

No, as stated, of this board (surly members).  I would posit 50% of this board owns at least one (1) handgun. I stick by my statement that I own fewer than 95% of those people.   It really wasn’t a difficult statement to follow. Until polls from country wide ownership followed, for some reason.   Polls are great, but the govt has the actual information. Hard to believe when it’s not your own fart your smelling, but the vast majority of arms sales aren’t f2f, and are recorded with the govt. 

• Fuck You 3

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No, as stated, of this board (surly members).  I would posit 50% of this board owns at least one (1) handgun. I stick by my statement that I own fewer than 95% of those people.   It really wasn’t a difficult statement to follow. Until polls from country wide ownership followed, for some reason.   Polls are great, but the govt has the actual information. Hard to believe when it’s not your own fart you’re smelling, but the vast majority of arms sales aren’t f2f, and are recorded with the govt. 

Negged for either being disingenuous or so fucking stupid you cant even read your own comments.  When you say “of those people” referring only to the 50% of the board who are gun owners, you’re adding a qualifier that wasn’t in the comment I responded to.

You can say silly shit like I’m in an echo chamber or I just like smelling my own farts, but I assumed you’d figured out by now that you and I are from the same home town, our social circles in real life overlap, and we were raised with similar worldviews.  I’m regularly exposed to all the same idiotic right wing shit you are.  I just don’t swallow it.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

You can say silly shit like I’m in an echo chamber or I just like smelling my own farts, but I assumed you’d figured out by now that you and I are from the same home town, our social circles in real life overlap, and we were raised with similar worldviews.  I’m regularly exposed to all the same idiotic right wing shit you are.  I just don’t swallow it.

Our social circles in real life overlap?  I have 2 degreed UT alums in my social and professional circle, and about 30 aggy.  I don’t recall you being aggy.  I was raised in a very, very blue house, so maybe we were raised with similar world views.  I’d be very surprised if we are from the same hometown, but if we are, I feel for you. 

5 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Negged for either being disingenuous or so fucking stupid you cant even read your own comments.  When you say “of those people” referring only to the 50% of the board who are gun owners, you’re adding a qualifier that wasn’t in the comment I responded to.

Happy Jerry Seinfeld GIF

8 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I posted this last night when it came up in the voter suppression thread.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/republicans-demand-oversight-of-prosecutors-amid-trump-probe/J66M244PMNBXTBXSIKJYWBXMVY/

Republicans demand oversight of prosecutors amid Trump probe

By Greg Bluestein, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Georgia House approved a measure to create a new state board that could punish or oust district attorneys, the latest step in an ongoing campaign by Republicans to exert oversight over prosecutors they see as skirting their duties.

The measure passed the House 98-75 on Monday over the objections of Democrats and prominent prosecutors. Among them is Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis, who is leading an ongoing probe of Donald Trump and has framed the proposals as racist and reactionary.

Republicans have rallied around the overhaul as a way to rein in “rogue prosecutors” who they see as ineffective or inept. Supporters often bring up liberal district attorneys who have declined to enforce low-level drug offenses and other violations.

“The purpose behind this has been distorted,” said Republican state Rep. Houston Gaines, R-Athens. He added, “Lives truly are at stake.”

Intertwined in the debate is Willis, who is weighing whether to bring charges against Trump and his allies for meddling in the 2020 election.

While sponsors of the measures say her probe has nothing to do with the legislation — and previous versions have indeed been debated for years — Willis frames it as part of a broader effort to retaliate against her and other prosecutors representing Democratic strongholds.

“I think it’s targeting me and maybe people with similar ideologies,” Willis said in a recent interview, “and wanting to replace it for ideologies that don’t represent the majority of the state’s population.”

Powerful Republicans have put it on the fast track. The Georgia Senate has passed a similar version, and the effort is backed by both Gov. Brian Kemp and Lt. Gov. Burt Jones. Nearly two dozen prosecutors recently signed a letter backing the creation of the panel.

“Prosecutors are not legislatures. We do not create laws. We seek justice for violations of Georgia’s laws. We believe prosecutors that decline to enforce a provision of law or an entire body of law go too far,” states the letter, signed by a group of mostly Republican prosecutors, which said they have a duty to assess each case by its merits.

“This is not appropriate prosecutorial discretion because there is no consideration as to the facts and circumstances of the specific case,” it added.

The bills also have become a favorite of far-right figures aiming to sully Willis’ probe. U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Rome has encouraged Republicans to back the measures, and Trump praised the legislative proposals in a post Sunday on his social media platform.

‘The people elected us’

Under House Bill 231, members of the newly created five-member commission would be appointed by the Georgia Supreme Court.

The panel would be empowered to investigate and punish the state’s 50 district attorneys and solicitors general for a range of violations, including “willful misconduct” in office. And backers say the panel would pursue prosecutors on both sides of the aisle.

“There are Republican problems and there are Democrat problems,” said state Rep. Joseph Gullet, R-Acworth. “But this is nonpartisan in my mind.”

Opponents of the measure, who include almost all Democrats in the chamber, said there are already layers of accountability baked into the law, including oversight by the State Bar of Georgia and a little-used provision that allows the General Assembly to remove prosecutors.

They warned of creeping efforts to weaken local control, including a separate measure that has so far failed to gain traction that would significantly lower the number of signatures needed to recall a district attorney.

“Why are we spending taxpayer money to create another level of government when there are already provisions to address prosecutorial oversight?” Democratic state Rep. Shea Roberts asked. “This is dangerous territory.”

State Rep. Mesha Mainor was the only Democrat to speak in favor of the measure. Mainor, a victim of stalking, criticized unnamed prosecutors for being “numb” to cases of violence and abuse against women.

”Prosecutors can silence people’s voice from every being heard. How would you feel as a crime victim?” the Atlanta legislator asked. “Victims don’t care about party affiliation. They want help.”

The effort’s Republican supporters often invoke recent stories of disgraced prosecutors, including former Paulding County District Attorney Dick Donovan, a Republican who stepped down from office after pleading guilty to a misconduct charge.

Another impetus for sponsors is Athens-Clarke County District Attorney Deborah Gonzalez, who has suffered an exodus of rank-and-file attorneys since she took office. She’s also among a growing group of liberal prosecutors who decline to bring charges for certain drug offenses.

From the floor of the House, Gaines listed a string of serious offenses that he said were dropped because of the “incompetence” of Gonzalez.

In an interview, Gonzalez called the bills an “overstep where the Legislature is coming in and trying to undo the will of the people.”

“The people elected us and we are doing what they wanted,” Gonzalez said. “It might not be what the legislators would agree with, but that’s not their call.”

So unprecedented legislative activism to combat justified judicial activism trying to combat abuses of executive activism.

What do you call your act?

#theLimitedGovernments!  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 12:29 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

On 3/7/2023 at 8:53 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I posted this last night when it came up in the voter suppression thread.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/republicans-demand-oversight-of-prosecutors-amid-trump-probe/J66M244PMNBXTBXSIKJYWBXMVY/

Is this really going to pass?  The article says it passed the House.  What about the Senate?  When would this occur?

59 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is this really going to pass?  The article says it passed the House.  What about the Senate?  When would this occur?

The article said a similar bill already passed the Senate. I assume that means whatever bill was passed by the House will go to the Senate for their approval and the implication is that they’re expected to give it their okay. It says that both Kemp and Lt. Gov. Burt Jones support it. Jones was a fake elector and is a potential target of the investigation into Trump’s coup attempt so he’d have motivation to see the prosecutor removed from the case. It sounds like it’s going to pass. I don’t know what would happen if they quash the investigation in such a blatantly political move. 

Maybe I’m wrong about it going to the Senate. I thought these were separate bills but I’m not sure. Here’s the segment from Rachel Maddow’s show. She ends by saying it will soon go to the Governor’s desk so maybe it won’t go back to the Senate first. I’d have to do a little more digging.

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, they are separate bills. The Senate bill is SB 92 and according to:

https://www.gpb.org/news/2023/03/07/lawmakers-controversial-bills-clear-senate-and-house-on-day-28

It “narrowly passed the House in a 98 to 75 vote.”

The Senate bill was sponsored by State Sen. Randy Robertson, R-Cataula, who said the measure would punish prosecutors who act “not based on evidence but based on political leanings.”

EB2E90CE-ABC0-4C62-9D4B-F6B099D8B60D.png.e2823e43cd644adfc60f3a15774d83e3.png

https://www.ajc.com/politics/georgia-republicans-rally-behind-new-oversight-for-prosecutors/BEAA4ZG6AFGLBO7UDO6SBRVX2E/

The House bill is HB 231 and it is now awaiting approval in the Senate. That bill was sponsored by this guy, Rep. Joseph Gullett, R-Dallas:

559CC4AC-0BB5-4648-8D4F-C8D10DA0D167.thumb.jpeg.89b07553ae3beec668989d5e6478e048.jpeg

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t know what would happen if they quash the investigation in such a blatantly political move. 

I think we will find out.  I imagine that they better follow it up with a bill that supressess the hell out of Democrats/minorities voting.

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe I’m wrong about it going to the Senate. I thought these were separate bills but I’m not sure. Here’s the segment from Rachel Maddow’s show. She ends by saying it will soon go to the Governor’s desk so maybe it won’t go back to the Senate first. I’d have to do a little more digging.

It's almost as if sitting around with your thumb up your ass for more than two years instead of throwing mother fuckers in jail wasn't a good strategy.  Never would have guessed it.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think we will find out.  I imagine that they better follow it up with a bill that supressess the hell out of Democrats/minorities voting.

Uhhh, they took care of that already.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Claim a law is for DAs that aren’t doing their job. First use of new law will be for a DA that is doing her job. 

Yep.  The only really specific provision of the statute is one that permits discipline, up to removal, for those who categorically refuse to prosecute crimes.  The rest of it is ethical and mental health and corruption type stuff.

https://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/63985

It's not going to be that easy to use this against Willis.  For one thing, it doesn't go into effect until April 24.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep.  The only really specific provision of the statute is one that permits discipline, up to removal, for those who categorically refuse to prosecute crimes.  The rest of it is ethical and mental health and corruption type stuff.

https://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/63985

It's not going to be that easy to use this against Willis.  For one thing, it doesn't go into effect until April 24.

Why not go ahead and add sheriffs or other elected law enforcement officers that refuse to enforce the laws?

• Like 2

Trump lawyer, Jenna Ellis forced to admit she is a bald faced liar, and that her lies resulted in a loss of confidence in the American electoral process:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/09/us/politics/jenna-ellis-trump-2020-election.html

Jenna Ellis, a lawyer who represented President Donald J. Trump after his loss in the 2020 election, admitted in a sworn statement released on Wednesday that she had knowingly misrepresented the facts in several of her public claims that widespread voting fraud led to Mr. Trump’s defeat.

The admissions by Ms. Ellis were part of an agreement to accept public censure and settle disciplinary measures brought against her by state bar officials in Colorado, her home state. Last year, the officials opened an investigation of Ms. Ellis after a complaint from the 65 Project, a bipartisan legal watchdog group.

The group accused her of professional misconduct in her efforts to help Mr. Trump promote his claims of voting fraud and undertake “a concerted effort to overturn the legitimate 2020 presidential election results.” An earlier complaint about Ms. Ellis had been filed by a lawyer, Benjamin Woods.

According to the sworn statement on Wednesday, some of Ms. Ellis’s lies about election fraud were made during appearances on Fox News, several of whose top hosts and executives were recently shown to have disparaged Mr. Trump’s fraud claims in private even though they supported them in public. The revelations about these discrepancies have emerged in a series of court filings by Dominion Voting Systems, a voting-machine company that filed a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox for promoting a conspiracy theory about its role in the election results