The movie you just watched

F250

On 1/27/2024 at 8:18 PM, freyguy said:

sipping knob creek and watching For a Few Dollars More....

It's amazing that noone has srill been able to touch Sergio Leone's westerns since the mid 60's.

Leone put together big budget cinematography with big budget music, slowed the pacing down and threw in Clint Eastwood. Guess you gotta think big. 

Ennio Morricone was no slouch either. Big budget movies out the ass. Orchestras all over the world have been playing his stuff. If you want to see something astounding watch the HM Royal Marines perform Ecstacy of Gold (from the graveyard scene in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly). Make sure your speakers are on. 

Likewise, check out Deborah's theme from Once Upon a Time in America (featuring young Jennifer Connelly and the adorable Elizabeth McCovern. 

That's a good fucking movie. Long but 8.3/10 on IMDB

• Like 1

Barbie. I thought it was great and GG nailed the tone. I didn’t find it preachy at all, I thought it was more about hang ups and trying to figure out who you are than anything else. When Will Ferrell is the worst part of your movie you probably have a winner. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Barbie. I thought it was great and GG nailed the tone. I didn’t find it preachy at all, I thought it was more about hang ups and trying to figure out who you are than anything else. When Will Ferrell is the worst part of your movie you probably have a winner. 

I just got bored. The whole Ken and horses thing was not good. I assume the movie had an ending. I never saw it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

and the chick that Vince McMahon shat on accepting expensive gifts from her abusers,

Told that story this morning to my Supervisor. He's a freaking Marine and still went WTactualF?

Ryan’s Daughter.  A David Lean film.  He also directed Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and Doctor Zhivago, among others.  An interesting movie with pretty high highs and definitely some lows.  Worth watching.  

American Animals... as i continue with my new Barry Keoghan obsession lol. this one also had Evan Peters who is on quite an impressive little run.

good little movie, interesting story. neat approach of interspersing the real life guys throughout.  enjoyed the Oceans 11-type imagining of the caper...not quite how it turned out haha. i do hope they were/are all able to establish productive and happy lives post-prison, i def got a sense of real remorse and regret from all of them, these were dumb boys not natural criminals. 

Man I thought the opposite. What an overly heavy handed schlock fest. And not because I’m maga and it was woke (I’m not either). I just thought it was dumb. Mind bottling that this nonsense would even be mentioned in the same conversation as Oppenheimer. But what do I know anymore.

Margo Robbie’s hiney though. Now that was something to behold.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Quiz Girl. Shouting Asians, very little comedy. Poor. Sandra Oh unrecognizable.

She Came to Me. Had hopes for this Peter Dinklage, Anne Hathaway, Marisa Tomei movie. My beloved thought it was great. I didn't buy into much of it except for when Tomei was on screen. She's in most of the third act and the movie ends well. She should be nominated next year. Dinklage plays his role well; it's just not a well done character on paper or as directed. 

I'd thought Godzilla Minus 1 was now available on Max.  ERARENNTTTT! Wrong. Looking forward to it. Very clever to set it back in a time when technology would render such a beast harmless in less than an hour.

On 2/1/2024 at 7:36 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Perfect Game.  True story about the 1957 Mexican little league team.  You can thank me later.

I love this movie. My sons watched this one almost as much as The Sandlot which means I've seen it a lot too.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/1/2024 at 7:36 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Perfect Game.  True story about the 1957 Mexican little league team.  You can thank me later.

11 hours ago, F250 said:

I love this movie. My sons watched this one almost as much as The Sandlot which means I've seen it a lot too.

I need to rewatch this. As I remember Cheech Marin gave a pretty good performance.

• Hook 'Em 2

Road to Perdition. 

Fantastic little flick. 

What was the first bad movie Tom Hanks was in?

I guess he was in some crappy stuff early on. But his run from '92 to '02 was insane. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wonka (2023) - When I first saw this trailer my cynical self thought "Oh look, the origin story no one asked for!"  However, I was a surprised at how fun and enjoyable it was. It's very clearly setup to become a musical show in the future, but I didn't get that impression from the movie trailer. The songs are nearly all original, but they of course lean into the melody and themes from songs of the original.  It's a fun story, with lots of whimsical characters and many entertaining songs and dance numbers that keep the pace moving along. It's very different for the original though, this one is much more kid friendly, funny, upbeat and lighthearted, while in the original Gene Wilder was deranged, sarcastic and a bit sinister. I'm sure many will hate it because it re-characterizes the original Wonka, humanizes him, and "ruins their childhood" or something. 

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

Road to Perdition. 

Fantastic little flick. 

What was the first bad movie Tom Hanks was in?

I guess he was in some crappy stuff early on. But his run from '92 to '02 was insane. 

Turner and Hooch seems to be not well liked, though I never saw it.

That Thing You Do or whatever the band movie was after Forrest Gump sucked.

• Like 1

Zone of Interest & Anatomy of a Fall. 

Both were interesting in their own way but neither are what I would call “rewatchable”. 

Zone was better overall IMO but they were both fairly slow. Zone really played with overlapping sounds/sights. 

Anatomy was interesting in terms of insight (if accurate) into the French judicial system. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Seven.

Almost as much of a gut punch as it was originally. I can't believe it's nearly 30 years old.

Pitt's acting in the climactic scene is exceptional.

One interesting thing I spotted in this viewing was Fincher shows how it will end when Somerset (Freeman) is in the library. Visuals from one of the books he's researching.

The movie is so damn dark.

I need to go watch Sesame Street now or something.

^^ If you like dark, try Sean Connery in The Name of the Rose.  The storyline is dark as well as most of the scenery.  However, it does turn out to be a good movie.  It was a bit difficult to understand due to the language accents.  Once I got accustomed to it, the rest of it was easy to understand.  However, it simply could our family legacy of poor hearing.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Seven.

One interesting thing I spotted in this viewing was Fincher shows how it will end when Somerset (Freeman) is in the library. Visuals from one of the books he's researching.

From interviews, etc I've heard/read that Fincher is extremely meticulous esp with editing. He's an interesting person. Seems like (to me) cast are polarized on his style of direction but many of his movies do tell a story in a compelling way. I loved The Social Network when he collaborated with Aaron Sorkin who wrote the screenplay.