The movie you just watched

F250

The movies I've watched since early March... 

Power of the Dog- 7/10

Margin Call- 8/10

Closer- 7.5/10

Pump up the Volume- 6.5/10

House of Gucci- 6.5/10

In the Cut- 5/10

The French Dispatch- 7/10

The Batman- 7/10

The Death of Stalin- 7/10

Repulsion- 7/10

Coda-8/10

The Northman- 7/10

X- 6/10

Everything Everywhree All at Once- 10/10

VHS 94- 5.5/10

Darjeeling Limited- 8.5/10

Anomalisa- Kaufman/10

Reanimator- 7/10

Old- 6.5/10

Juice- 7/10

Old Henry- 8/10

The Skin I Live In- 6/10

Fresh- 6/10

Chungking Express- 7/10

The Brotherhood of the Wolf- 7.5/10

Crimes of the Future- 7/10

Marshland- 7.5/10

Scream 2022- 4/10

No Exit- 6/10

Top Gun: Maverick- 10/10

Dead Man- 8/10

The movies I've watched since early March... 
Power of the Dog- 7/10
Margin Call- 8/10
Closer- 7.5/10
Pump up the Volume- 6.5/10
House of Gucci- 6.5/10
In the Cut- 5/10
The French Dispatch- 7/10
The Batman- 7/10
The Death of Stalin- 7/10
Repulsion- 7/10
Coda-8/10
The Northman- 7/10
X- 6/10
Everything Everywhree All at Once- 10/10
VHS 94- 5.5/10
Darjeeling Limited- 8.5/10
Anomalisa- Kaufman/10
Reanimator- 7/10
Old- 6.5/10
Juice- 7/10
Old Henry- 8/10
The Skin I Live In- 6/10
Fresh- 6/10
Chungking Express- 7/10
The Brotherhood of the Wolf- 7.5/10
Crimes of the Future- 7/10
Marshland- 7.5/10
Scream 2022- 4/10
No Exit- 6/10
Top Gun: Maverick- 10/10
Dead Man- 8/10

Great list. My kid and I watch a lot of horror movies so I’m always interested in seeing other opinions of some of the more obscure stuff that doesn’t get talked about as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Worst Person in the World (2021)

I'm thinking that this must have made it into my queue because it was nominated for something in the last round of Oscars.  The lead actress is winsome and convincing, but this is about a group of people far from my own generation, so it kind of just made me feel old.  I also though it was relatively humorless.  But for some of 30 somethings, might be a decent date movie for you, especially if you're kind of trying to break up.

5028d4dfb1cb623da80e35c8eac7c402

Edited by The Original Greaser Bob

Mentioned it in the TCM thread but Caine Mutiny was on yesterday, wife had never watched it and I had mentioned about a certain former president(no cr) would go Queeg on the stand.  Great movie with top notch performances from all the cast, love reading the trivia page on IMDb of the BTS of the movie(s) about casting choices and such.  

Jerry and Marge Go Large - Bryan Cranston, Annette Benning, Rainn Wilson

Very entertaining biopic of a guy that figured out how to beat the lottery and save his hometown with several million dollars.

• Hook 'Em 1

On Netflix ....Operation Mincemeat (true story).

The deception (corpse with fake documents washes up in Spain) of attacking Greece instead of Sicily during WWII. Nice side note of a young British Lieutenant that helps with the ruse and story telling is Ian Fleming.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1957347865/?ref_=tt_vi_i_2

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

The Worst Person in the World (2021)

I'm thinking that this must have made it into my queue because it was nominated for something in the last round of Oscars.  The lead actress is winsome and convincing, but this is about a group of people far from my own generation, so it kind of just made me feel old.  I also though it was relatively humorless.  But for some of 30 somethings, might be a decent date movie for you, especially if you're kind of trying to break up.

5028d4dfb1cb623da80e35c8eac7c402

My wife and I saw this last year, at age 33. I loved it. She thought the female lead was unrealistic/devoid of depth and clearly written by a male writer.

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

My wife and I saw this last year, at age 33. I loved it. She thought the female lead was unrealistic/devoid of depth and clearly written by a male writer.

So she was a man, but without reason and accountability?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Watched lone survivor again just now, hadn’t seen it in years. I get some of the actual events and size of enemy force are debated in real life, but just as a movie I still like it a lot. Better than American sniper imo.

Did you ever read the book?

The Icebreaker - 2016 Russian (yeah, I know) film based on a true story of a Soviet era Icebreaker that gets stuck in Antarctica and spends months stranded. Good flick that shows just how fucked up the Soviet leadership was. On YouTube.

On 7/3/2022 at 7:16 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

The deception (corpse with fake documents washes up in Spain) of attacking Greece instead of Sicily during WWII. Nice side note of a young British Lieutenant that helps with the ruse and story telling is Ian Fleming.

I'm reading that book right now. 

On 7/3/2022 at 7:16 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

Outstanding pic.  The allied effort to get this done and the failure of the axis to discern the ruse still is so amazing to me.

On 7/3/2022 at 11:58 AM, RPM said:

Jerry and Marge Go Large - Bryan Cranston, Annette Benning, Rainn Wilson

Very entertaining biopic of a guy that figured out how to beat the lottery and save his hometown with several million dollars.

I've been debating this one.  I think I'm in.

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

spacer.png

My favorite comedy. The premise was brilliant. The confusion over the word “stop” in the telegram was genius. At least it was to me. Maybe someone used that gag before, a lot of comedy is stolen, but I thought that was magnificent.

And such a quotable film. ”Do you have anything besides Mexican food?” will never not crack me up.

Well, shoot, I’ll go on. Back when I was in school I worked part time for the local cable company. Before Comedy Central, there were two channels...The Comedy Channel, owned by HBO, and Ha!, owned by Viacom. They eventually merged to become Comedy Central. But at the time, The Comedy Channel was run sort of like MTV with clips from comedy films instead of music videos. We had a rep from HBO come and give us a presentation that included two scenes from Three Amigos. The one where Steve Martin is up on the wall trying to signal to Chevy Chase and Martin Short with bird calls, and the “lip balm?” scene where they’re riding in the desert and Chevy has all the water.

Comedy Central is cool. But a channel showing highlights from various comedies would be pretty cool to still have around. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The one where Steve Martin is up on the wall trying to signal to Chevy Chase and Martin Short with bird calls, and the “lip balm?” scene where they’re riding in the desert and Chevy has all the water.

Look up here!  Look up here!”  Can’t put it at the top of my favorite comedies, but it is underrated.  Doing “My little buttercup” at the rough and tumble bar is great. 

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Look up here!  Look up here!”  Can’t put it at the top of my favorite comedies, but it is underrated.  Doing “My little buttercup” at the rough and tumble bar is great. 

“Hey you guys!”

And you had Jon Lovitz and Phil Hartman in Flugleman’s office. Lovitz pitching the new film idea, and Hartman ordering wardrobe to come take the amigos’ clothes.

”Those were presents!”

And the singing bush working through the public domain list of songs.

”Excuse me, are you the singing bush?”

”My guess is, this is the singing bush.”

And the death of the invisible swordsman.

”You were supposed to shoot UP! We both shot UP!”

My god, it’s a classic from start to finish.

”You can sew. If only we had known this earlier.”

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

My favorite comedy. The premise was brilliant. The confusion over the word “stop” in the telegram was genius. At least it was to me. Maybe someone used that gag before, a lot of comedy is stolen, but I thought that was magnificent.

And such a quotable film. ”Do you have anything besides Mexican food?” will never not crack me up.

Well, shoot, I’ll go on. Back when I was in school I worked part time for the local cable company. Before Comedy Central, there were two channels...The Comedy Channel, owned by HBO, and Ha!, owned by Viacom. They eventually merged to become Comedy Central. But at the time, The Comedy Channel was run sort of like MTV with clips from comedy films instead of music videos. We had a rep from HBO come and give us a presentation that included two scenes from Three Amigos. The one where Steve Martin is up on the wall trying to signal to Chevy Chase and Martin Short with bird calls, and the “lip balm?” scene where they’re riding in the desert and Chevy has all the water.

Comedy Central is cool. But a channel showing highlights from various comedies would be pretty cool to still have around. 

The premise is brilliant?   It's a blatant rip off of Seven Samurai and the Magnificent Seven.   It's still great though.

On 7/5/2022 at 3:56 PM, pch said:

Outstanding pic.  The allied effort to get this done and the failure of the axis to discern the ruse still is so amazing to me.

Faking out the Nazis reminded me of a Ken Follet novel made into a film called Eye of the Needle, with Donald Sutherland and an absolutely gorgeous Kate Nelligan.

Nelligan was also in another fantastic film with Barbara Streisand and Nick Nolte called Prince of Tides, also based on a bestselling novel.  In my opinion, it's Nolte's best work, along with North Dallas Forty.  I've never seen Rich Man, Poor Man.

Wholly recommend both books/films.

I haven't just watched them but I'm about to.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:38 AM, burntorangebongos said:

I watched Old Guard last night and just found out they are making a sequel to it. I really like it so happy to learn they are making another. Charlese Theron is really good in it. 

I thought this move was terrible 

14 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  Wish I liked the movie and book more.  They were just fine for me.

The movie is a 10/10 for me. Fucking outstanding, and extremely rewatchable

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

Nelligan was also in another fantastic film with Barbara Streisand and Nick Nolte called Prince of Tides, also based on a bestselling novel. 

Pat Conroy wrote novels I enjoyed and the movies made from his works I enjoyed as well. In the Best/worst performance thread Robert Duvall was discussed and I don't recall if The Great Santini ever came up, but he did a good job in that, IMO. The Water is Wide, Lords of Discipline, Conroy wrote southern very well and some of it felt like he was a family member telling our stories.

52 minutes ago, Fud said:

The movie is a 10/10 for me. Fucking outstanding, and extremely rewatchable

This. Really enjoyed the books in the series and the movie. Great cast.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:40 PM, Post Oak said:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  Wish I liked the movie and book more.  They were just fine for me.

On 7/9/2022 at 1:44 AM, kilroydos said:

I liked them, but I 100% understand why it wouldn't work for quite a lot of people.

I much preferred the BBC version. 7 part series. The longer arc made the story much easier to follow and Alec Guinness was phenomenal. One of the best tv mini-series ever made. It was streaming on one of the pay services but now I can't find it. Except for on youtube. There was a blu-ray version several years ago so it's very watchable.

As for a movie, if you like WWII stuff, Anthropoid was really interesting. Filmed in english largely for a British audience, it tells a harrowing, true story about the Czech resistance.

ANTHROPOID is based on the extraordinary true story of “Operation Anthropoid,” the code name for the Czechoslovakian operatives’ mission to assassinate SS officer Reinhard Heydrich.

Heydrich, the main architect behind the Final Solution, was the Reich’s third in command behind Hitler and Himmler and the leader of Nazi forces in Czechoslovakia. The film follows two soldiers from the Czechoslovakian army-in-exile, Josef Gabčík (Cillian Murphy) and Jan Kubiš (Jamie Dornan), who are parachuted into their occupied homeland in December 1941. With limited intelligence and little equipment in a city under lock down, they must find a way to assassinate Heydrich, an operation that would change the face of Europe forever.

It's on Prime. Interesting and suspenseful. Filmed in Prague. I really wish I had seen the movie before visiting there.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1