Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Nuke activation is the only leverage he has in talks, doesn’t make it any more comfortable but it was predictable. Let’s hope he’s not prepared to use them. 

options were level the cities - he hasn’t done that. Nukes - not yet but activated ugh. NATO intervene - hasn’t happened more than support, and assassination. I’m hoping he’s axed soon, very soon. 

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That damage wasn't done by molotov cocktails

bed%7Ctwterm%5E1497917802644008960%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.surlyhorns.com%2Fboard%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fmrsorokaa%2Fstatus%2F1497917802644008960

I’m no military tactician but when you have a line of armored vehicles rolling down a city street I’m assuming you disable the one in the front and the one at the rear and just pick of the rest at your leisure no? 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Outside of Budpest, a few, but Budapest is absolutely freaking amazing.  We spent a lot of time in hot baths, etc.  When I was there last, the country was still sort of coming out of the Iron Curtain funk, and eating/nightlife weren't quite what they appear to be now.  So I'm looking forward to it.

And yes, everyone, and I mean everyone over there grows Paprika.  Stereotype is true.

I would go to a restaurant with a golden squirrel on its business card. You would take a trolley uphill to get to it and it had violinists and such and you could get wild game at about the same price for McDonald's in the US. This was right when the Wall came down so unfortunately their prices are now more like prices in the rest of Europe. As you said, there are some things to see and Eger and Lake Balaton are worth a visit, but overall there don't seem to be a lot of tourist attractions. Unless you have ties, it is probably best to have it as just some stops on a trip that includes a few other countries. I loved living there though. I had no problem meeting people, playing basketball, finding dates/girlfriends and overall have great memories.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Enchubben’s Peace talk conditions:

1) Russia immediately forfeit all weapons and vehicles and withdraw all military forces from Ukraine.

2) Russia agree to prosecute and execute Putin for war crimes.

3) Restitution for injured/killed Ukrainians and payment to fix damaged critical infrastructure.

4) Russia to create new state sponsored NFT of dildos falling on Putin’s head.

image.gif.3be164b2dd42ad64c2e0f4e902768350.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, troph said:

Smarties - what does this mean? 

1936 agreement that gives Turkey the right to control the Dardanelles.  They haven't wanted to use it until now.  But it's legal, they have uniforms and everything.

Also, (edit), the agreement means that Turkey is more or less obligated to keep the straits open but in times of war, can limit stays in the Black Sea to a week, and can actually forbid naval war (and other vessels) to go in/out.  They're saying "we control the strait now").

NATO country facing Russian navy.  Hoo boy, here we go.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

I'm going to be in Hungary (among other countries) in September (assuming it's still there, and no I won't be pissed if I can't go/Joyless Behar) and the family has now pitched a short stint into Ukraine, probably to Lviv, and we'll go just to spend some $$.  Hope we can make it.  I'm mostly Hungarian by descent with a little Ukrainian thrown in (great grandpa, remember that night you got smacked on Vodka and went over the border to that Ukrainian bordello?...)

Show us your unibrow
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I would go to a restaurant with a golden squirrel on its business card. You would take a trolley uphill to get to it and it had violinists and such and you could get wild game at about the same price for McDonald's in the US. This was right when the Wall came down so unfortunately their prices are now more like prices in the rest of Europe. As you said, there are some things to see and Eger and Lake Balaton are worth a visit, but overall there don't seem to be a lot of tourist attractions. Unless you have ties, it is probably best to have it as just some stops on a trip that includes a few other countries. I loved living there though. I had no problem meeting people, playing basketball, finding dates/girlfriends and overall have great memories.

It's still very cheap to dine and drink.  Can get a tasting menu at Michelin-starred restaurants for <100 EUR.

• Like 1

Knowing how hard Putin the manlet has worked at crafting an image of being the ultimate macho man’s man over the years, one thing I would do if I were advising the Ukrainian propaganda side of this thing is start pumping out memes with a narrative/intent of contrasting how zelensky is in the shit, geared up alongside his military and fighting “frontline battles” while prissy little Putin is too much of a pussy to leave the kremlin in his little size 32 suits. Russians care about that kind of crap. That’s the kind of shit that would really unnerve and irritate him…start evolving the narrative from Putin being a stoic, ice in his veins killer to being an autocratic pussy who sends the children of Russia’s poor to do his dirty work. Shift the perception to him being this guy instead:

image.jpeg.edf484986db0e7c7a3b455d8dad41947.jpeg

also, since the weapons on both sides have gone hot, I would do whatever I could to somehow sabotage that highly exposed, multibillion dollar palace he has right on the Black Sea…destroy what’s most important to him. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

It's still very cheap to dine and drink.  Can get a tasting menu at Michelin-starred restaurants for <100 EUR.

Truth - went to Budapest in 1991 with my family and we ate at one of their best restaurants for about $100. For a family of four. Dad said a similar meal in NYC would be 4-5 times that. Keep in mind this was 30 years ago.

Just now, JesusSweatDuck said:

Anyone care to explain what siege tactics are? Is this indiscriminate shelling?

Medieval tactic of surrounding a defensive stronghold and cutting off the ability for it to resupply or reinforce…effectively deteriorating their defensive capabilities over time until they give up. Waiting them out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

You’re not wrong. Definitely, Eastern Europe is a specific sort of experience. Kinda like going to Peru. 

You can break down Europe into beer, wine and vodka zones. In the beer zone you've got your hard-working no bullshit types. The wine zone is your smooth operators...suave diplomats. watch them with your old lady....Vodka zone is sentimental, emotional, unpredictable. The difference between Prague and Krakow reflects that division. Lots of beer drunks kinda walking a little funny on their way home after having ten pints of strong beer in an afternoon / evening in Prague. In Krakow I saw a literal heap of drunks passed out on top of each other in a public park on a weekday afternoon. It looked like a football pile-up after a run up the gut only they were all out like lights, snoring away....

24 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Would it help if one weren’t single? Asking for a friend.

Always wear your wedding ring when on the prowl -- shows you are willing to commit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Whens the Surly meetup at the Russian consul in Houston? I believe it’s one of the few Russian consuls in the US.

Like most controversial countries, it's way up high in a skyscraper, so you'd end up being one of those people in the street or blocking the entry to the whole building. 

53 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I mentioned it last night.  But for those that can spare 90 mins today go watch the Netflix Doc City Under Fire.  Even if you followed it at the time, well put together doc and watching a bunch of unarmed people continue advancing in the face of gunfire explains a lot about their current resolve. They were armed with shields and bricks in 2014.  Now they all have automatic weapons and molotov cocktails ready to defend their city.  So yeah, good luck with that Putin.

Quick PSA - Winter on Fire.  Took a minute to find.  But thanks for sending me that way. Definitely prescient.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй