What's your poison, surly?

52-80

My 4, in no order, are:

* (Moscow) Mule.  But preferably with Rum or Whiskey, so takes on different surname.

* Aviation.  gin + lemon juice + maraschino liqueur + creme de violette.  normal bars rarely have the latter so somewhat hard to order this drink.

* Bloody Mary.  Don't need bacon, shrimp. pepperonici, or other hipster garnishes in it...just a classic Mary as thick and as spicy as they can make it.

* Gin and Tonic, or Tom Collins.  More or less the same to me.  Not even really in love with gin.  Just that an iced citrus in the summertime is nice.

So those are the poison.  If we're talking drink type it's really 50% beer, 40% wine, and 10% scotch (islay). 

Bloody Mary:  Campbell's tomato juice, Tito's, worchestershire, Tabasco, Sriracha, garlic salt, black pepper, Cavender's, celery salt, dash of A1, pickle juice, dollop of horseradish.  Garnish with a pickle, jalapeno stuffed olive, hunk of cheddar or pepper jack, and a meat stick (any kind of cooked garnish is bullshit).  Chase with a half pint of either a crisp lager/golden ale (Grain Belt/Spotted Cow/Dorothy's up here; Lone Star and any of the great Texas pils will work for you guys) or a good pale ale/IPA (I like Psuedo Sue or Boulevard Single Wide).

The majority of my alcohol consumed is beer, though.  It just doesn't hit me as hard as liquor, both while consuming, and the day after. 

My stylistic preferences are:

1) Pales/IPAs that are mostly hop forward - don't care for the milkshake stuff, and I go back on forth on hazy vs. clear.  The really heavy, high ABV ones get a little sweet and malty for me.

2) Pilsners - I love that kind of malt profile, and always find the subtle hops in these pretty pleasant.  Can't beat 'em on a hot summer day.  Really any well made lager under 7% that holds off the sweetness can scratch this itch.

3) Sours - preferably the non fruited, but I can get down with those.  A good Berliner Weisse is a real treat.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Bourbon

Bourbon

Bourbon

Hendricks G&T's

Vodka tonics with a lemon not a lime

Old Fashioneds

Moscow and kentucky Mules

Bourbon and ginger With a lime

Classic Mohitos

Gin and vodka Martinis

Bloody Marias

Heavy, big and bold red wines

Ports

Porters

Stouts 

lagers

Sake' filtered and unfiltered

Edited by Onboard 2.0

I am non discriminatory, but some go tos. 

Is there football involved? Evan Williams 1783 and coke zero.

Are we eating dinner? Red wine.

Am I eating breakfast? Bloody Mary. 

Otherwise: Bourbon and a cube or neat

Summer, summer, summer time: vodka and topo with lime, tequila and fresca, lime juice and tequila. 

Palomas

My margaritas

(ducks) honey whiskey

wine - I'm not very discriminating. Big fan of Moscato and Trader Joe's has a suprisingly good Nouveau that went up in price to $2.99/bottle. It doesn't compare to a $120 bottle, sure, but it's not bad and I can get drunk 40 times more than that $120 bottle would get me.

In no particular order:

- Woodford Reserve

-Woodford Reserve Double-Oaked

-Bulleit 10 year Bourbon

-Four Roses Single Barrel

-Four Roses Small Batch

-Glenfiddich 15 year

-Glenfiddich 18 year

-The Glenlivet 18 year

All of the above with a few drops of water, one ice cube, in a Glencairn glass

-Bombay Sapphire with tonic and a lime

-Captain Morgan Private Stock, with a splash of coca-cola

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

My 4, in no order, are:

* (Moscow) Mule.  But preferably with Rum or Whiskey, so takes on different surname.

* Aviation.  gin + lemon juice + maraschino liqueur + creme de violette.  normal bars rarely have the latter so somewhat hard to order this drink.

* Bloody Mary.  Don't need bacon, shrimp. pepperonici, or other hipster garnishes in it...just a classic Mary as thick and as spicy as they can make it.

* Gin and Tonic, or Tom Collins.  More or less the same to me.  Not even really in love with gin.  Just that an iced citrus in the summertime is nice.

So those are the poison.  If we're talking drink type it's really 50% beer, 40% wine, and 10% scotch (islay). 

50% beer, 40% wine, and 10% scotch (islay) = 100%

Your 4 poisons are rum/whiskey, gin, and vodka. 

Maths is hard. 

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

50% beer, 40% wine, and 10% scotch (islay) = 100%

Your 4 poisons are rum/whiskey, gin, and vodka. 

Maths is hard. 

I only drink cocktails when I'm taking out surly moms.

At home I'm drinking the rest

Good general topic for a thread.  In no particular order, and it depends on the season and the occasion:

1.  Bourbon (basic Weller is my go to, but W12, Antique, ER, and High West are in the rota)

• usually with one or two cubes
  • Old Fashioned
  • Manhattan

2.  Scotch (Dewer's white label exclusively)

3.  Vodka (brand does not matter) & Fresca w/lime (hot/warm weather only)

4.  Wine

• Roses/whites in the summer 
  • Bordeaux
  • CDP and other southern Rhones
  • Cali Syrahs and Zins
  • Champagne
  • Sauternes (after dinner/dessert)

5.  Beer

• American Pale Ale
  • British Pale Ale/ESBs/Guinness Draft
  • German/Czech Pils
  • German wheat
  • Miller Lite (golf course only--and this doesn't really count as drinking)

I'm a very seasonal drinker.

Fall / Winter / Early Spring = Bourbon.  I rotate a few different brands.  Usually on the rocks.  Beam and Dr. Pepper in a styrofoam cup if I'm at the ranch.  Shiner Bock or Negro Modelo if I'm day drinking.  Duckhorn Cab with beef.

Late Spring / Summer = Tequila and Topo Chico with lime (aka Ranch Water).  Cruzan Silver Rum with Sprite in a Tervis Tumbler if I'm at the beach.  Pacifico or Dos Equis if I'm day drinking.  Steer away from wine during the summer months.

Throw in a wide variety of meal or event specific cocktails (Bloody Mary, Moscow Mule, Margarita) that have no seasonal boundaries.

• Like 1

1. Pinot Noir/Malbec

2. Ranch Water -- good tequila, Topo and fresh lime juice

3. Tito's (or better) and soda with a lime (Deep Eddy Peach is pretty tasty too)

4. Rum & Coke -- dark Caribbean rum and Coke Zero Sugar with a lime

5. Craft beer -- lighter pilsner/Kolsch styles are my favorite, have grown tired of IPAs

54 minutes ago, immamac said:

2 whole limes + 1 tablespoon of cracked pepper + 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce + 1 teaspoon of celery salt + 1 tablespoon of valentinas + 1 teaspoon of horseradish and a splash of tito's bloody mary mix + 12 oz of Modelo Especial

Yes I can drink a michelada any day of the week. 

• Like 1