How Fox News works

retread

9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

image.jpeg.07cd6af4c5f90510d19a5cd61b8e6a53.jpeg

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/tucker-carlson-fears-that-leaked-texts-of-him-telling-truth-will-kill-his-brand?utm_source=nl&utm_brand=tny&utm_mailing=TNY_Borowitz_02172023&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_medium=email&bxid=5be9def82ddf9c72dc2fc78a&cndid=53598643&hasha=b016bbebc16e6c47690c8a092f4c29a0&hashb=167786272e4da2c62fb4fad803767f693d6f33b9&hashc=d27bfaa5888bd0a6a2375e2542a80ba3ae8e9e36d163fb765ebaa8d740399178&esrc=bounceX&utm_term=TNY_Borowitz

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Newly surfaced texts showing Tucker Carlson telling the truth threaten to damage his brand irrevocably, the Fox News host fears.

After publication of the texts, which indicate that Carlson knew Donald J. Trump’s claims of widespread election fraud were false, the anchor, concerned that his reputation for mendacity had been permanently tainted, spiralled into despondency.

“Tucker is in a very dark place right now,” a Fox News colleague said. “To be unmasked as an honest person is literally his worst nightmare.”

In an emotional appearance on Fox, Carlson begged his viewers not to “rush to judgment” based on a few “ill-advised texts that give off the unfortunate appearance of accuracy.”

“A couple of years ago, in a moment of weakness, I slipped and told the truth,” Carlson, choking back tears, said. “I plead with you not to judge me by this shameful episode but by my entire body of work.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

If there is any justice,  Dominion will own Fox News or nightly get them to admit they lied to their viewers because they were afraid of losing market share by telling the truth.  For the next 10 years across every program.  And that Rush was a liar, sex tourist, and a horrible person and the world is better off without him spewing poison to their dumb viewers/listeners.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I remember a time when this would actually hurt a news organization.   We are not in that time.  These revelations will do absolutely nothing since the lies are the point.

A small part of me feels for these Fox executives that still had a conscious and were trying to navigate this mess.  It reminds me of when I coached my son's YMCA baseball team when he was 4yrs old.  Just trying to keep the kids from hitting each other with bats and manage the chaos.  The 4yr old may have actually been easier to manage then this basket of loons. 

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

If I'm not mistaken, this is just the motion for Summary Judgement.  I'm honestly kind of hoping it does get denied because I want to see these weasels squirm on the stand. 

Same.  I want Hannity and Carlson testifying under oath on TV.  "Judge" Janine too. 

50 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, this will hurt Fox some - not by exposing them as especially craven frauds who hurt the public interest to make a buck - but rather because a segment of their audience will react to this by saying, “See!  I knew they were libs!  They were part of the steal all along and are just a bunch of RINOs who don’t really have our back when the camera isn’t rolling!”

No they won't. Fox News isn't reporting on this so they'll probably never hear of it, and if they do, they'll hear it from CNN and just say it's the media lying. If even a handful get wind of it and believe it, they'll just go to newsmax or oan where it's even worse.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

At the very least, pull this garbage network from the news section of TV and put it next to tbs and bravo... 

yup. I've been advocating for them to have to put up a disclaimer like south park wherein that have to admit every thirty minutes that what you're about to see is bullshit and is rotting your brain (and no, I'm not saying south park rots your brain)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

FoxNews reporting something correctly sent them into a tailspin.

Let that sink in.

These actually are the key points that give Dominion a compelling story/theme at trial.

"First, let's talk about THE thing that put Fox in a pickle, THE thing that jeopardized its carefully built viewer base, on which its entire revenue model depends: Fox News did the unforgivable - it reported THE TRUTH.

And once Fox realized that it had done such damage to its business, that it had put itself in the deepest of holes, what could it do to try to claw that rabid audience back?  Fox did the only thing it knew how to do -- lie.  But no little lie would do.  The hole was much too deep.  They needed to tell the biggest of lies.  And in Fox's desperation to earn its audience back, by showing them how big it could lie, Fox didn't hesitate to choose to destroy an entire company in the process.  That didn't matter, Fox's very life was at stake, and Fox thinks it is so important that it doesn't matter who gets hurt, saving it is worth ANY price.  Today, you get to tell Fox exactly what that price works out to be."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

While Fox is not directly talked about in this editorial, I feel like they fit right in. From David Miliband in the Times, Our Age of Impunity:

This month marks a year since Russian tanks first crossed the border with Ukraine, signaling the start of the most extensive land war in Europe since the end of World War II. The invasion has left Ukrainians fighting for their nation and their democracy against a regime that is repressive at home and expansionist abroad.

The war’s impact goes far beyond the region. It has driven up food and energy prices worldwide, contributing to the record 349 million people experiencing food insecurity and to famine-like conditions in East Africa. The conduct of the war has flouted the most basic international laws and conventions, posing a fundamental threat to the global order. As such, it offers a textbook example of the Age of Impunity.

Impunity is the exercise of power without accountability, which becomes, in starkest form, the commission of crimes without punishment. In Ukraine this goes beyond the original invasion. It has included repeated violations of international humanitarian law, which is supposed to establish clear protections for civilians, aid workers and civilian infrastructure in conflict zones every day. The danger is that few people will ever face consequences for these crimes.

The impunity in Ukraine is only one part of a broader global trend. In conflicts around the world, attacks on health facilities have increased by 90 percent in the past five years, and twice as many aid workers have been killed in the last decade as in the one before that. In recent years, civilians account for 84 percent of war casualties — a 22-percentage point increase from the Cold War period.

The lack of accountability for crimes in places like Syria and Yemen has fueled the culture of impunity we now see in Ukraine and elsewhere.

It’s not just war zones. Impunity is a helpful lens through which to understand the global drift to polycrisis, from climate change to the weakening of democracy. When billionaires evade taxes, oil companies misrepresent the severity of the climate crisis, elected politicians subvert the judiciary and human rights are rolled back, you see impunity in action. Impunity is the mind-set that laws and norms are for suckers.

That is the significance of the “Atlas of Impunity” released today. Published by the Eurasia Group and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, it scores all 197 countries and territories across five different areas of impunity: abuse of human rights, unaccountable governance, conflict and violence, economic exploitation and environmental degradation. All represent the abuse of power. The Atlas uses more than 65 independent, credible and comparable data sources to produce a score for each country.

The results show that while the fight for democracy is real, dividing the world into democracies and autocracies does not capture key aspects of the global power balance. While accountability is critical to democracy, a democratic system of government alone is insufficient to fend off impunity. Several democratic countries, including the United States, underperform against the highest standards to which they are committed on measures of human rights and conflict and violence, while democratic Canada performs poorly on environmental degradation.

The most powerful countries in the international system are part of the problem. China and Russia both score among the 50 worst-ranking countries on impunity. The United States performs much better but still scores worse than its economic and Global North peers. There is quantitative evidence in our project for the adage that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The Atlas also offers striking data about the long-term impact of colonialism and the slave trade, how gender discrimination crosses geographical and cultural boundaries, and how conflict multiplies inequality and decimates the rule of law. But there are lessons on how to counter this syndrome.

First, impunity thrives in darkness so we need more tools to shed light. With the U.N. system often gridlocked, investigative efforts by major news organizations, as well as smaller, independent outfits like Bellingcat and the Ukrainian-led 5 AM Coalition, are critical. The formal investigation by Ukrainian and international authorities of more than 50,000 potential war crimes is the first step to accountability for the current war.

It is also vital to support countries formally committed to checks on the abuse of power. The U.S. Department of Defense has taken an important step in this direction through the recently released Civilian Harm Mitigation and Response Action Plan, which puts protection of civilians at the core of military missions, creates conditionality for U.S. security partners and establishes better pathways for accountability when civilians are killed.

Building greater accountability requires changing the incentives of would-be abusers. Germany, for instance, has used a legal concept called universal jurisdiction, which realizes that some crimes are so serious, they should be prosecuted outside the state in which they were committed. Victims have sought justice there for crimes committed in Iraq and Syria. Then there are diplomatic approaches like the Liechtenstein veto initiative, which forces U.N. Security Council vetoes to be defended in front of the General Assembly and shows the importance of diplomacy. The most direct path targets the wallet, whether by governments through Magnitsky-style sanctions, which penalizes foreign government officials who perpetrate serious human rights violations, or by the private sector through divestment campaigns.

Because impunity is the result of an imbalance of power, the forces of accountability must develop “countervailing power.” This notion was first coined by the American economist John Kenneth Galbraith as a way to offset the concentration of corporate economic power that threatened workers and consumers. It now needs wider application.

The systems and cultures of impunity are built over time. Stopping them needs more than laws and norms. It requires not just their defense, but a counterculture of accountability. As Ukrainians fight to defeat impunity on the battlefield, there is a wider job for the rest of us.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

No they won't. Fox News isn't reporting on this so they'll probably never hear of it, and if they do, they'll hear it from CNN and just say it's the media lying. If even a handful get wind of it and believe it, they'll just go to newsmax or oan where it's even worse.

I said pretty much the same thing on some other story months ago about Fox News being in trouble and it's viewers never knowing because they wouldn't report it. It's fucking crazy to think about how there is a large group of people who only get their news from a fake news channel promoting political propaganda and how easy they get away with it. And they never question or second guess the constant fear mongering sensationalism "news." 

• Like 1

meanwhile

Deranged Fox News viewers somehow thought Rep. Angie Craig (D-MN) was to blame after a stranger attacked her in the elevator of her D.C. apartment this month. CBS News reported that she her office has since been inundated with horrific, threatening messages after Fox News ran a segment that criticized Craig while blasting Democrats for policing policies. Her office released audio of a few of the messages, including one person spewing racist slurs about George Floyd and telling Craig they’d like to see her violently sexually assaulted. Other messages included “You deserved it, you piece of s***” and “I hope the f*****s get you again.” In the Fox segment, Jeanine Pirro said: “If you want to defund the police, we'll notify 911. Whenever you call them, you don't get the police … That's what they want, that's what they should get. But now that the Congresswoman has been victimized, now she feels your pain? Nonsense.” Craig's office noted that she has often expressed support for the police and police funding.

Read it at CBS News

• Rage+1 2

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

[twice]there's just not enough evidence to move forward[/horn]

Oh fuck off, again.

I was getting ready to reply to safesex that Fox is going to get absolutely shithammered.

The only question is whether Dominion's pretty massive damage model holds up.

Dominion's Motion for Summary Judgment may not actually work to secure summary judgment, but it is a preview of their case to a jury and it is evidentiarily spectacular and really, really well-written, in my opinion.  Of course, when discovery serves up facts like they've got, it makes it a lot easier.

Fucking Susman Godfrey, man.  They're always so good.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yup. I've been advocating for them to have to put up a disclaimer like south park wherein that have to admit every thirty minutes that what you're about to see is bullshit and is rotting your brain (and no, I'm not saying south park rots your brain)

they-dont-think-it-be-like-it-is-but-it-do.jpg.5d177fe62210bcf14b7c64de17adcddd.jpg

• Haha 3

Oh fuck off, again.
I was getting ready to reply to safesex that Fox is going to get absolutely shithammered.
Dominion's Motion for Summary Judgment may not actually work to secure summary judgment, but it is a preview of their case to a jury and it is evidentiarily spectacular and really, really well-written, in my opinion.  Of course, when discovery serves up facts like they've got, it makes it a lot easier.

They are. They really are. Which is why I enjoy being 2-0 against em. You still have to have some facts and law, even if you’re SG…and here, they’ve got good enough law, and OUTSTANDING facts. I mean, you have a cause of action that requires false statements, and a defendant that openly and admittedly discusses how it KNOWS what it is broadcasting is false, but it has no choice because it has to try and make up for offending its viewers by unwisely telling…the truth.
That’s a helluva fact bundle.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah this is pretty much the definition of libel in public figure cases. It could be in law school texts to teach actual malice or reckless disregard for the truth. I doubt it’ll get summary judgement though because of the profile of the issues, but would be appropriate. Never been against Susman but I beat Covington and Burling in a bankruptcy adversary case where their paralegals were charging more per hour than me as an attorney. Fuck those guys.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I had a push with Susman, but it was really a group effort by my firm.

It was a software trade secrets and covenant-not-to-compete deal where we pushed it so hard the judge didn't make a decision for six months and my client's investors bought the plaintiff in the interim. Lol.  Prior to our entry in the case, I think it was poised for a very damaging preliminary injunction.

I did have a bit of fun in that their lead counsel, a quite attractive but rather shrill harridan, didn't know shit about computer programming and I was able to run circles around her on the technical witnesses and experts in depositions.  She'd had some experience in patent litigation and kept calling "wrapper scripts" "file wrappers."

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This really should be a HUGE fucking story and half of the nation probably won't even notice.  The MOST POPULAR CABLE "NEWS" station in the country is being exposed (as a lot of people already knew) as a COMPLETE FUCKING FRAUD and ain't nothing gonna happen.

But you see both sides....

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Oh fuck off, again.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They are. They really are. Which is why I enjoy being 2-0 against em. You still have to have some facts and law, even if you’re SG…and here, they’ve got good enough law, and OUTSTANDING facts. I mean, you have a cause of action that requires false statements, and a defendant that openly and admittedly discusses how it KNOWS what it is broadcasting is false, but it has no choice because it has to try and make up for offending its viewers by unwisely telling…the truth.
That’s a helluva fact bundle.

2 hours ago, safe sex said:

I really hope y'all are both right.

I came here (no pun intended) to say what twice and brisket already said. Wow. Fox is in deep doo doo. SG is great but let’s be honest, any lawyer here (well not every lawyer here) could write that motion, the facts are so choice. It will settle I’m sure but OD gettin’ paid. SG too.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, this will hurt Fox some - not by exposing them as especially craven frauds who hurt the public interest to make a buck - but rather because a segment of their audience will react to this by saying, “See!  I knew they were libs!  They were part of the steal all along and are just a bunch of RINOs who don’t really have our back when the camera isn’t rolling!”

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

Y'all need to be passing this around around to your Fox News-watching relatives and friends and saying "hey, I was wrong to disagree with y'all about Fox News - even though they have crazy people on their shows, the people like Tucker and the others actually believe that Trump lost.  Sure, maybe they pretend otherwise when the cameras are on, but they are just entertainers and not journalists."

Yeah, maybe it'll push some into turning on Fox News or watching Newsman or whatever, but it's fun.

48 minutes ago, miguelito said:

So who's sent a link to this news to their Fox-watching parents?

Praising John Goodman GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, safe sex said:

Is there any chance for non-monetary consequences? I don't mean jail time, obv, but like on-air acknowledgements of wrongdoing, that sort of thing?

Hard to say.  It is, like most civil litigation, highly likely to settle.  But I don't think Dominion will be quite satisfied with money, they actually suffered pretty severe reputational damage. Weirdly enough, it's not among people that really matter, but some legislatures are probably going to think they have to fight Dominion machines or lose the Magats, much like Fox.  They might push it to trial if they don't get some kind of apology and admission of wrongdoing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hard to say.  It is, like most civil litigation, highly likely to settle.  But I don't think Dominion will be quite satisfied with money, they actually suffered pretty severe reputational damage. Weirdly enough, it's not among people that really matter, but some legislatures are probably going to think they have to fight Dominion machines or lose the Magats, much like Fox.  They might push it to trial if they don't get some kind of apology and admission of wrongdoing.

I’d settle for Tucker and hannity being pushed off a freighter in the North Atlantic in a cage on live tv. Who was the poster that dreamt up that fantasy again?  I’d like to rep him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Oh fuck off, again.

I very much doubt their damage model will hold up. What are the chances they get a big punitive award? 

I very much doubt their damage model will hold up. What are the chances they get a big punitive award? 

I think their damages model is likely quite strong. There are literally legislative acts to back it up. Red jurisdictions will never, and practically speaking can never (or their own voters will lynch them) use Dominion machines.

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I think their damages model is likely quite strong. There are literally legislative acts to back it up. Red jurisdictions will never, and practically speaking can never (or their own voters will lynch them) use Dominion machines.

Yeah, show me a MAGA state that is eager to use those machines now.  The ones still using them are probably trying to get rid of them as soon as they can find the money for replacements.

7 hours ago, Covri said:

I said pretty much the same thing on some other story months ago about Fox News being in trouble and its viewers never knowing because they wouldn't report it. It's fucking crazy to think about how there is a large group of people who only get their news from a fake news channel promoting political propaganda and how easy they get away with it. And they never question or second guess the constant fear mongering sensationalism "news." 

Their “hard news”  likely won’t touch it, but even if they did it wouldn’t matter. That’s not what Fox News viewers watch to learn what to think, it’s at best background noise. And this story requires some analysis and discussion to understand. 

The entertainment shows will cover it. Either Fox will lose and viewers will learn that Liberal activist judges and Soros-ties Big Money is trying to silence them. Or Fox will win and be vindicated that they are a beacon of free speech and that the Left’s lies fall apart under the scrutiny of a courtroom. 

Fin. 

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Y'all need to be passing this around around to your Fox News-watching relatives and friends and saying "hey, I was wrong to disagree with y'all about Fox News - even though they have crazy people on their shows, the people like Tucker and the others actually believe that Trump lost.  Sure, maybe they pretend otherwise when the cameras are on, but they are just entertainers and not journalists."

Yeah, maybe it'll push some into turning on Fox News or watching Newsman or whatever, but it's fun.

Praising John Goodman GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

I don't know if it's fun, but it's not hard to make a daily habit of posting the most damning evidence where it will be seen by those who try to stay disengaged or cocooned in alternate realityville. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have no experience with defamation cases but if you're going to take a case to trial, then this looks to me like it's a great candidate.