How Fox News works

retread

33 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Say what you will about Fox News, but at least they consult subject matter experts on the important stories.

More stuff to throw at the MAGA family members - "Jesse Waters heads up the Fox News evening lineup and to talk about policy he had Fabio and some Jersey Shore idiot. You've went from George Will and William F. Buckley Jr, to a romance novel cover model and somebody who peaked on Jersey Shore.  This is who you are."

sad walking dead GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It should be obvious by now, throwing facts at MAGATs is like pouring water on a grease fire - it just makes them burn with stupidity even more.

Like trying to cajun fry a $90 frozen turkey

Gas stove bullshit is back! Now with an extra helping of bullshit for the holidays. The independent consumer protection agency trying to improve gas stove standards means the Biden admin hates Americans, good food, and joy. And Kamala was BUSTED owning one!! 

Edited by Hookah Horns

Had a conversation with my father in-law (who watches FOX all day every day) over thanksgiving and decided to ask about the "border attack".

Me (feigning ignorance): Hey, I heard something about something happening on the canadian border near Niagara Falls.  You know anything about that?

Him: Yeah, I guess there was a car full of explosives. Some kind of terrorist attack or something.

Me: (pretending to look it up on my phone):  Hmm.  There's a thing here saying they're officially ruling out it being a terrorist attack.

Him: Hmm.  Yeah, I don't know.  They talked about it a lot when it happened but I haven't heard any updates.  I just know there was car with explosives in it.  I don't know how much or why they had it.

Me: (still pretending to look it up):  Oh, actually, this here is saying no explosives at all.  And apparently it was a rich American guy in a Bentley and his wife who were pissed off that the Kiss concert they had tickets to in Canada was canceled.

Him:  Hmm. a Bentley huh. Was it a Continental?  Those are nice.

• Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

On 11/26/2023 at 11:33 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Love it 

yes, it's unlikely that any Fox viewer's mind is changed but the Dems need to be aggressive on how well the economy is doing. America's economy is stronger today than ever in the past. Not an opinion, a fact.

Are people hurting? Absolutely and we should continue to help people get on the current economy ride. In a capitalistic society there are always winners and losers, and we should look to our govt to help the losers, for the lack of a better term, get on the best track they can. 

I was in a spot that had Fox News for the DeSantis/Newsome debate. I see clips of Fox, but never watch full segments. I don't understand the economics of cable TV evidently. Are they getting just insane carriage fees, because the advertising was insane.

Think it's an ad for Tide pods or Progressive insurance or something? No. It's weird off-brand products like some service that lets you know if a business has "woke" policies (seriously, there is a market for this?) or religious advertising like this:

The most mainstream ads they had were for Consumer Cellular, and even that was focused on how the customer support is 100% U.S.-based, not the product itself.

How are they able to pay out $770 million settlements and pay salaries for Hannity, et. al on a diet of low-budget advertising?

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I can't imagine how much damage Fox has done being on in all the gyms, tire centers, dealerships etc etc. How the fuck did it get decided across the board that Fox is the default at every business with a TV? 

Fox figured out they can just have outrageous chyrons in the background and people will see it in passing and accept it as truth. It’s how “people are saying” gets started. Just put it into the ether and stupid people will latch onto it. 

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

They just push Trumps lie that we had the greatest economy under his presidency. We didn’t…by any metric. 

If you remember, the economic numbers according to Team Dotard under Obama were fake. They became real on inauguration day. 

Also, when Trump left office we were in the middle of a pandemic he completely mishandled, the economy was in the trash, and the Capitol was under attack. "Turned it around after eight years of Obama." 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I can't imagine how much damage Fox has done being on in all the gyms, tire centers, dealerships etc etc. How the fuck did it get decided across the board that Fox is the default at every business with a TV? 

Along those same lines, it’s on in the headquarters building or lobby area of pretty much every US military base or VA facility in which I’ve visited (the exception was Balboa Naval Hospital which had on CNN).  Maybe hard or not worth the trouble of enforcing it, but that could be changed with an executive order.

There was a long article in The Atlantic recently about our exaggerated faith in the military to corral a President‘s worst impulses and how close Trump came to installing supporters at the top of the DOD.  They suggested a present absence of civics education also makes service members far more susceptible to the misinformation on Fox News.

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I'm sure it's a lot of screen time/damage. I will say that many years ago I complained (karen-like) at the desk at the doctor when Fox was on, pointing out that some of the images were very inappropriate and that must've gotten their attention. Every visit after that the tv was always on Food Network. It made the bloodwork visits (with fasting) a little drool worthy, but I'd rather sit and watch food than Fox while I wait.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

News is the default for background noise, and customers who watch Fox News will whine like assholes to get it on that channel.  And low paid receptionists and others with the remote will change just to get them to STFU. 

On the other hand, I would never risk having to talk to some Fox junkie on the off-chance that it’s a conscious choice to have Fox on. It’s just going to be a miserable interchange with a high chance of me appearing on Truth social getting “owned.” 

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

Along those same lines, it’s on in the headquarters building or lobby area of pretty much every US military base or VA facility in which I’ve visited (the exception was Balboa Naval Hospital which had on CNN).  Maybe hard or not worth the trouble of enforcing it, but that could be changed with an executive order.

There was a long article in The Atlantic recently about our exaggerated faith in the military to corral a President‘s worst impulses and how close Trump came to installing supporters at the top of the DOD.  They suggested a present absence of civics education also makes service members far more susceptible to the misinformation on Fox News.

Serving in the military is conservative and middle-class to working class coded. People come into the service with those biases.  At the officer level, spending time at the Pentagon and other assignments helps to mitigate that, not completely, but it gets harder to buy into the ever loonier right when you’re rubbing elbows and working with the “Deep State” to accomplish the same aims. 

Vietnam and its aftermath did a lot of damage and we have generations of people who lean liberal and highly educated who would never consider or support the military as a potential career. It’s bad for the services and it’s bad for society as a whole that in some ways the all-volunteer force has become sort of a subculture in itself. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

On 11/14/2023 at 2:09 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Aside from the horror of everything, this is my favorite thing happening in the simulation.  They are the dog that caught the car and they have no fucking clue how to un-catch it.

You can say that again 

On 11/14/2023 at 3:32 PM, C-Man said:

The proverbial dog caught the proverbial car. Now it doesn’t know what to do with it.

Or this guy can