Nearly half of young people aren't using deodorant

Beau Vine

The thread began discussing deodorant alternatives that didn’t ruin shirts or irritate skin.  That link is a really easy way to figure out which brands have the shit in them that’s bothering the skin and/or clothes. 

A dermatologist told me while taking a mole for biopsy that I would get far less ingrown hairs if I shaved with a product that didn’t contain TEA’s.  I used that site to find some better alternatives and now my ingrown hairs are almost a non issue.  

People were talking about finding shit that didn’t bother their skin, I tried to help.  Sorry. 

15 hours ago, futureman said:

antiperspirant is awful.  if I ever start using it I start sweating like a whore in church.  old spice deodorant only and I hardly sweat at all. 

I switched from antiperspirant to deodorant 20 years ago for this same reason.  But when I hit about 45 or so, shit changed somehow in the old DCBC body composition and deodorant wasn't keeping up with what it was supposed to accomplish.  Switched to Dove for Men (the green one) and that stuff will, as advertised, deal with pit sweat and odor for at least a 24 hour period if not 48.    

14 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Ever sit next to an FOB Indian or Pakistani crew and their cloud? Yeah, they don’t think they stink either. 

Yeah, I am familiar with that stink cloud. It's not as common as it used to be, many seem to be familiar with deodorant these days.

Back in the old days that BO cloud caused acid rain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, El Diablo said:
What did your wife think of this? You know, when you were married. What have your kids said about it? Upper 40's, you have kids, right?

I have 2 teenage boys. They think they don't stink. But in reality they smell like rotten onions and wehave to regularly remind them to apply deodorant. Maybe pronghorn is a teenage boy?

Holy shit my 13 year old can destroy a shirt within 3-4 minutes if he forgets the antiperspirant.  Mitchum does not allow him to skip a day, and the weaker stuff usually means shower morning and night. 

But he's totally oblivious.  We'll be at the dinner table and it smells like a New York cab in July 1997.  Everyone blinking back the tears from their eyes but he's just eating away, not noticing.  When somebody finally says something he'll take a whiff of one of his pits and say "oh, sorry" then go shower.

I hope this is some kind of temporary issue for him or he learns to say "Alright, alright, alright" a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

It’s getting harder to find, but Safeguard deodorant bar soap is a great product. My wife and and I have been using it for 30+ years. We usually shower 2-3 times a day, sometimes four depending on our activities, and we don’t use another deodorant. We are clean freaks. If either of us had BO we would tell the other. No, we are not just used to it. We stink like everyone if we’ve gone too long without a shower. All that said, some people smell bad 30 minutes after a shower. They should use a separate deodorant.

2-4 showers/day?  WTF?  I guess if I lived in a humid climate I guess I'd get it from a comfort standpoint.  But damn.

I prefer to wash myself with a rag on a stick.

tenor.gif?itemid=4964741

• Like 2

^^^ Actually it's more like 2-3, 4 is rare, and three showers is simply a shower in the morning (doesn't everyone?), a shower after working out during the lunch hour (a must), and possibly a shower at night if I'm out in the Houston heat and I need it.  

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I worked in Austin when the bongo thing happened.  The house he was renting in Tarrytown was 2 doors down from my boss.   My boss was always being asked about him, things like “what’s he like?” and “is it a pain to deal with?”.

My boss never came close to complaining about him other than one thing - he needed a shower all the time.

I also went to high school with a guy who knew him pretty well in college. At one of the reunions he told the group that the shower/deodorant thing was a frequent issue between young Wooderson and the ladies.  And that he even if it cost him dates, he was not going to change that behavior no matter what.  

Have hung out w him - not with him but at the same venue multiple times in LA.  He was a few feet away from me.  Either him or someone in his entourage smelled like hell.  I don’t get it - famous or not, I’m not hanging out with you if you constantly smell like shit.  Wtf

And pronghorn has to be doing a bit.  The fingers in armpit ‘test’ was a dead give away.  

I can't imagine not showering and washing my hair every day.

For the last 25 years or so I've only used crystal deodorant sticks, exclusively - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=crystal+deoderant&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 

No stink and no residue.  I've asked wives and lovers to let me know if i stink and that I'd switch back to traditional deodorant/antiperspirant if that ever becomes the case.

I’ve been using Ban Rollon Unscented my whole life and they’ll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

I used to have a problem with my teenage son, but joining the cross country team cured that. Running 6 miles every morning before school in Houston will make even the nose dead realize how bad they stink. He’s a diehard Old Spice man now.

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

It’s getting harder to find, but Safeguard deodorant bar soap is a great product. My wife and and I have been using it for 30+ years. We usually shower 2-3 times a day, sometimes four depending on our activities, and we don’t use another deodorant. We are clean freaks. If either of us had BO we would tell the other. No, we are not just used to it. We stink like everyone if we’ve gone too long without a shower. All that said, some people smell bad 30 minutes after a shower. They should use a separate deodorant.

You shower 2 or 3 times a day?  What are you, mermaids?

I've got this weird thing going on where a certain brand of deodorant will stop working for me.  I'll switch it up and that one will work for 8-10 months and then it stops working too.  I used to use nothing but Mitchum for years and years but it stopped working, switched to Dove and same thing, Speedstick, Degree and Old Spice have all come and gone now too.  I'll use Tom's sometimes but it just can handle a round of golf or any amount of time outside before I've got a serious case of the funk.  

Anyone else have that?

45 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I can't imagine not showering and washing my hair every day.

For the last 25 years or so I've only used crystal deodorant sticks, exclusively - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=crystal+deoderant&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 

No stink and no residue.  I've asked wives and lovers to let me know if i stink and that I'd switch back to traditional deodorant/antiperspirant if that ever becomes the case.

What if your wife thinks you stink but your lover doesn’t? 

8 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I've got this weird thing going on where a certain brand of deodorant will stop working for me.  I'll switch it up and that one will work for 8-10 months and then it stops working too.  I used to use nothing but Mitchum for years and years but it stopped working, switched to Dove and same thing, Speedstick, Degree and Old Spice have all come and gone now too.  I'll use Tom's sometimes but it just can handle a round of golf or any amount of time outside before I've got a serious case of the funk.  

Anyone else have that?

Yep.  I have to switch it up or I get perfumed stink.  

Also, when I'm sweating hard, like mountain biking or outdoor exertion, that doesn't seem to create stench like sweating under stress in the office or if slightly overheated indoors.  That latter sweat will turn into stink right quick, much less so with the former, I just feel grubby after.

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah if you work out, I get showering twice.  But 3 or 4 times is kinda much.  

Yeah, if you are showering at night do you really need a morning shower? Not really but it's preferable.

About a decade back, I realized most of my deodorant ended up on my armpit hair. Being a cheap bastard, I started using my electric clippers to shave it off once a week or so. That not only saved money on deodorant, but it also lessened the funk when the deodorant eventually failed. Then, a few years ago, I started using hand sanitizer to clean my armpits at least once a week. After that, my deodorants never fail. I've even switched to a Right Guard gel that doesn't mess up my shirts.

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Maybe they fuck a lot at night and need another in the morning.  Or maybe they fuck in the shower, 3 or 4 times a day.  I'd need pics to verify.

LOL

I was going to mention that but given the average age here, I doubt most posters are worried about stinking like Frenchmen at work.

17 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Maybe they fuck a lot at night and need another in the morning.  Or maybe they fuck in the shower, 3 or 4 times a day.  I'd need pics to verify.

This right here, sort of.  So after my daily lunch time workout I've already showered twice.  If there's any hope of a night time blowski I need to shower again.  It's really not hard to shower three times a day in Houston.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Yeah, if you are showering at night do you really need a morning shower? Not really but it's preferable.

Morning shower is more about waking up. Let the hot water run over your head and wash the sleep away. Evening shower is to keep your bed from stinking. 

1 hour ago, Apep said:

About a decade back, I realized most of my deodorant ended up on my armpit hair. Being a cheap bastard, I started using my electric clippers to shave it off once a week or so. That not only saved money on deodorant, but it also lessened the funk when the deodorant eventually failed. Then, a few years ago, I started using hand sanitizer to clean my armpits at least once a week. After that, my deodorants never fail. I've even switched to a Right Guard gel that doesn't mess up my shirts.

I'm hairy as well and do the same thing with the clippers.  I agree that hair exacerbates the stink. 

• Like 1

One time I played poker and got stuck next to an Indian millennial who had never been touched by soap or deodorant.  He smelled like a dead sewer rat inside a moldy gym sock.

After an hour, somebody at the far end of the table left and four people asked for the seat change - two on each side of Ram or whatever his name was.  

And I'm sure he thought he didn't smell, too.

Don't be like Ram.  Deodorize yourselves, heathens.

And if you're Indian: shower, use the whole stick of deodorant, and tie 15 car sanitizers around your neck at all times, please.  No offense.

Edited by TexArcher

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

Team two showers. Need one to wake up and going to bed at night clean is a great feeling.

I can't stand showering at night, because it wakes me up.  Plus I can't stand having dry feet and hands so I have to moisturize otherwise I'll be laying in bed contemplating moisturizer, which I hate using.  But as @HouTex mentioned, nighttime blowies dominate dry skin everytime, especially in hotels.

17 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Team two showers. Need one to wake up and going to bed at night clean is a great feeling.

It's Pride Month so gonna let my gay out for a minute but:

Night showers are better for your skin because they wash away dirt, oil and shit allover your skin. 

Mornings are for ice water facials, followed by normal skin care routine. 

9 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Team Pronghorn but he goes too far in saying he doesn't stink.  He does but I'll give him the possibility that the level of stench may be minimal and even undetectable until you put your nose in his pit.  That is not the case for most of you fucks.  I had two roommates who i would judge as the same level of cleanliness and one just had more odor naturally.  He always needed more deodorant.  The other rarely used it.  Plenty of hoops at the Rec /Gregory confirmed it for me. 

Yeah completely undetectable under normal circumstances.  Even if I do yard work, or ride my bike, or go to the beach, you have to get your nose an inch away to smell anything.  

Night showers are better for your skin because they wash away dirt, oil and shit allover your skin. 

Iirc, hot showers and our daily washing removes the protective oils and drys out the skin and is in general not the best for our skin. But no one really wants to reach peak stink (after about 2 weeks: odor producing bacteria reach capacity).

Please take baths/shower daily. We are in Texas not Antartica.

17 hours ago, futureman said:

matthew mccaaundehehghey said in an interview on the telly that he doesn’t stink and that his mom and his wife tell him he doesn’t stink and so it’s totally cool that he doesn’t wear deodorant.  but I’ve heard that people in the movie business say he smells like a goat.  

he and everyone else that walks around smelling like sweaty asshole are clearly propped up by enablers.  pronghorn. 

a group of friends and I met him at a texas game back when the longhorn foundation would send all the premium seat holders at halftime to the tent atop moncrief-neuhaus.  very cool dude indeed, but everything about his horrible bo is true.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

giphy.gif

37 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Or .................................................................. a Patrick Batemen type serial killer.

after I remove the icepack I use a deep-pore cleanser lotion.  in the shower, I use a water-activated gel cleanser.  then a honey-almond body scrub.  and on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub.  then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Anyone else have that?

Yeah, I think I read about it on here.  They use different ingredients and your body adjusts or something.  And we're talking about anti-antiperspirants, not deodorants.  Big deal for me, because I sweat a lot now that I put on weight and stink like hell.  Way back in the day I had a girlfriend who always talked about how good my sweat smelled.  Yeah, she was completely batshit crazy.