The Supremes

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

"Erred badly" implies mistake.     This is outright corruption and idiocy.   But Roberts told us we are all too stupid to understand.  

correct, it’s all intentional 

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I'd be happy to discuss with you any cases where a person wrongly convicted of rape was subsequently wrongfully executed.  Stanning for rapists.   I'd love to claim to be surprised, but this literally is your brand. 

I thought Greg Abbott was going to get all of the rapists off of the street.

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Agreed.  Rape is absolutely abhorrent and my views are unpopular on how we punish for it. Let’s just say there should never be a repeat offender, imo.  

"Agreed but I'm still gonna vote for him!"

Season 20 Episode 13 GIF by The Simpsons

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

They just keep streaming across the border.  Not Greg's fault.

It's so weird that all these blue state MAGAs are fleeing for Texas when it is under "invasion."

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I'd be happy to discuss with you any cases where a person wrongly convicted of rape was subsequently wrongfully executed.  Stanning for rapists.   I'd love to claim to be surprised, but this literally is your brand. 

The very possibility that a person could be wrongly convicted and executed by the state means we should eliminate capital punishment.

• Hook 'Em 6

55 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The very possibility that a person could be wrongly convicted and executed by the state means we should eliminate capital punishment.

Man look who you're talking to. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

If everything ran perfectly, I have no moral objection to capital punishment.

We get it wrong too often.

We apply it unequally.

We can't even find a humane way to do it.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I thought Greg Abbott was going to get all of the rapists off of the street.

Well one way to erase all incidents of rape in Texas is to just lock up all the rape kits requiring testing in a vault and never open it open.  

There’s a lockbox joke in here somewhere in here if Greg has the courage to do what’s right

51 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Notably, the very last day of oral arguments this term.  

My hot take is kind of a spin off on mabury v Madison. They can’t rule for Trump but they want the outcome so agree to hear it, delay it until the last possible moment, all but ensures the case won’t go to trial until … oops, election time Trump can pardon himself for fed crimes. 

not saying it will work, but given the delays re the DC circuit and now this, that’s what I think they are doing - ruling against Trump but giving him what he wants.

Yeah, they won't say he's immune, but they'll say he might be and punt it back down with some new procedural hurdles (e.g. the trial judge must make an appealable determination whether Trump's behavior constituted "official acts"). 

There is no way this trial will start before the election.

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, they won't say he's immune, but they'll say he might be and punt it back down with some new procedural hurdles (e.g. the trial judge must make an appealable determination whether Trump's behavior constituted "official acts"). 

There is no way this trial will start before the election.

This.

They’ll completely ignore all the meat around the fake electors shit and focus on super narrow actions that they can throw up their hands and punt by saying something like ‘we can’t discern if what he was doing was as a candidate or the president and an official act’.

its going to be bad and are only hope is the orange menace losing… which will still be bad bc im almost assured there will be more violence, because him winning is going to be REALLY bad.

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

This.

They’ll completely ignore all the meat around the fake electors shit and focus on super narrow actions that they can throw up their hands and punt by saying something like ‘we can’t discern if what he was doing was as a candidate or the president and an official act’.

its going to be bad and are only hope is the orange menace losing… which will still be bad bc im almost assured there will be more violence, because him winning is going to be REALLY bad.

Never underestimate the ability of this Court to come up with the worst possible outcome.

If the Court was serious, oral argument would have been much sooner than the end of April. The Steel Seizure Case went from the initial suit on April 5 to final resolution on June 2, including oral argument 10 days after the DC Circuit heard the case en banc

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I can’t wait for the “but what if Americans want to elect a dictator” argument by Trump’s lawyers.

I mean, I'm starting to think this is exactly what people want.  Maybe not the majority, but a huge fucking amount.

• Like 1

Treat them like any other statistical anomalies?  
You do understand they can no longer vote for your team once they’re convicted, right? 

NSIAP, but in Texas, A person with a felony conviction can vote if they have finished the full terms of their sentence. This includes any periods of incarceration, parole, community supervision, and probation.

Just now, scottsins said:

NSIAP, but in Texas, A person with a felony conviction can vote if they have finished the full terms of their sentence. This includes any periods of incarceration, parole, community supervision, and probation.

Well, that makes a lot more sense.  Still not acceptable to Stan for rapists imo, but I’ll let him do him.   

• Fuck You 4

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, that makes a lot more sense.  Still not acceptable to Stan for rapists imo, but I’ll let him do him.   

Nobody is "stanning for rapists" you fucking schmoe.  People are stanning for justice and the concept of not imposing irrevocable sentences.

• Hook 'Em 1

In what world is stanning for those falsely convicted of rape stanning for rapists?

False accusations of rape leading to felony convictions, loss of the franchise, and the death penalty were some nasty features of a certain time period of this country's history. So who is stanning for what, exactly?

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

In what world is stanning for those falsely convicted of rape stanning for rapists?

False accusations of rape leading to felony convictions, loss of the franchise, and the death penalty were some nasty features of a certain time period of this country's history. So who is stanning for what, exactly?

Ackshully, he took umbrage with me saying rapists should never have a chance to rape again, and started his one liner goal post moving shit about false convictions.  Which leads me to believe he thinks they are worth giving a second chance. Which they are not.  Which further leads me to believe he’s ok with them serving their 10, and down ballot voting D until the next time they reoffend.   

Inconvenient that prison demographics pretty solidly align with D voters. But the demo is the demo.  

Edited by fattyflattie

15 hours ago, troph said:

My hot take is kind of a spin off on mabury v Madison. They can’t rule for Trump but they want the outcome so agree to hear it, delay it until the last possible moment, all but ensures the case won’t go to trial until … oops, election time Trump can pardon himself for fed crimes. 

not saying it will work, but given the delays re the DC circuit and now this, that’s what I think they are doing - ruling against Trump but giving him what he wants.

How long can SCOTUS sit on a case after they hear arguments?  If there's no time limit (and they do seem to be playing Calvinball), I predict they will sit on the case until the day after next year's inauguration.  If Biden wins, they'll say POTUS does not have immunity, if dotard wins, they'll rule the POTUS does have immunity. 

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Inconvenient that prison demographics pretty solidly align with D voters. But the demo is the demo.  

Able to explain the figures/math on this? I’m doubting higher educated inmates make up half the prison population. 

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Which further leads me to believe he’s ok with them serving their 10, and down ballot voting D until the next time they reoffend.   

This is a pretty weird thought... especially to think that rapists are a bloc... I don't know,  I'm fairly certain that rapists don't vote as one,  and would also think that there's probably an inordinate amount of rapists in the maga tent... and

Thinking about crime as a whole,  and the demographics of prisons... I'm also pretty sure they don't match the democratic party. 

But you do you... considering the fact that you think rapists are irredeemable,  but will probably vote for one come November (along with the rest of the maga contingent)

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Ackshully, he took umbrage with me saying rapists should never have a chance to rape again, and started his one liner goal post moving shit about false convictions.  Which leads me to believe he thinks they are worth giving a second chance. Which they are not.  Which further leads me to believe he’s ok with them serving their 10, and down ballot voting D until the next time they reoffend.   

we can all read what you and he wrote and this is a retcon.

half this country doesn't vote so assuming anyone votes any particular way isn't a great bet.

Edited by elfenix

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don't understand this opinion when you voted for a convicted rapist. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I took umbrage with your support for capital punishment.

• Like 1

Is Orginalism Bullshit?

Is Originalism Bullshit?

57 PagesPosted: 

Michael L. Smith

St. Mary's University School of Law

Date Written: March 5, 2024

Abstract

It’s finally time to answer the big question. This Article draws on the surprisingly robust literature examining the definition, essence, and significance of bullshit and evaluates whether originalist constitutional interpretation fits the bill. I begin with Harry Frankfurt’s definition of bullshit as utterances made in pursuit of the speaker’s goals without regard for their truth value. I also rely on alternate formulations, including bullshit as unclarifiable nonsense as well as contextual and audience-centric variations of bullshit. 

While not all instances of originalism are bullshit, I identify those instances which are, and go on to demonstrate that originalism is uniquely prone to bullshit as a result of institutional demands on those involved in constitutional disputes. When interpreters engage in historical analysis for purposes other than determining the correct original public meaning or original intentions, they veer into bullshit territory. An attorney who argues from selective historical research or citations designed to support his client’s case or a judge who relies on what she suspects may be incomplete party submissions but which are enough to reach the desired outcome are both engaging in bullshit originalism. 

Originalist bullshit is more likely in light of the Supreme Court urging parties to resolve complex historical questions with nothing more than party submissions, as well as originalists’ discounting of historians’ work. Ethical and institutional demands incentivize bullshitting—especially when these actors are working outside of their comfort zone by attempting to make arguments regarding historical meaning and tradition. Legal actors’ unfamiliarity with historical analysis also makes originalist bullshit harder to call out. This Article begins the task of calling out bullshit in originalist theory and practice. It also serves as a template for further work devoted to calling out bullshit elsewhere in the legal field. 

Keywords: originalism, bullshit, constitutional law, constitutional interpretation, lies, lying, history, legal practice, Supreme Court

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

For the record, political party affiliation of ex-cons:

“The survey was distributed in March 2020. Of White respondents, 36% identified as Republicans, 30% Independent, and 18% Democrats. Only 11% of Black respondents identified as Republicans, while 29% identified as Independent and 45% as Democrats.“

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2020/aug/1/survey-8000-prisoners-political-views-finds-surprising-results/

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

For the record, political party affiliation of ex-cons:

“The survey was distributed in March 2020. Of White respondents, 36% identified as Republicans, 30% Independent, and 18% Democrats. Only 11% of Black respondents identified as Republicans, while 29% identified as Independent and 45% as Democrats.“

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2020/aug/1/survey-8000-prisoners-political-views-finds-surprising-results/

Don’t tell fattie. 

On 3/7/2024 at 1:48 AM, fattyflattie said:

I’m so glad you have finally confirmed you won’t vote for Trump.