Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

3 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Still on HBO Max

They’re still fighting with roku and Amazon fire so my only HBO max app is on mobile still. Shits stupid. They even shut off the original HBO app that was better than the shitty HBO on demand with cable. 

Just now, Texas St. Armadillos said:

This.  Such merry-go-round bullshit.  We'll be back where we started from soon enough.  Probably what the end goal is. 

Netflix desperately needs to improve programming and their scrambling to figure out how they can do this. They’re offering $200 million plus for every blockbuster that won’t be released in theaters. 

Increasing prices while they lose their most popular program The Office, is ballsy to say the least. 

On 11/24/2020 at 3:19 PM, Caver60 said:

Here it is, in short. I would need to cross check some things to make sure it is all correct, but this is the story in brief:

Some time in March, 1944, the 45th was moving into Germany in near constant combat. Grandad was a machine gunner. His best friend was named Dizzy, and Dizzy carried the tripod in the three man crew. Dizzy was killed in combat. At that time, the Allies had an agreement among themselves that if any of the Allied powers liberated POWs from the Germans, they could use them in their own armies until the war ended, rather than go through everything it would take to repatriate them.

Shortly after Dizzy was killed, Grandad's unit received a Soviet POW named Stanislav Ordinsky. He was Ukranian, a former university professor who spoke seven languages fluently, but not English (haha). Grandad was a farm boy from Royse City, Texas, and spoke some Spanish. And that was how they communicated until Stanislav learned English. They became good friends through combat and some other escapades, and when the war ended, Stanislav gave Grandad his address in Kiev and headed east for the USSR.

Every year on VE Day for the next 45 or 46 years, Grandad would drop a letter in the mail for Stanislav. There was never a response. Then the Wall fell, and sometime that year or next he got a letter back from Stanislav. Turns out that after he got home, Stanislav was sent to a Gulag in Siberia for a number of years, a consequence of having served with the Americans. When he got out of the Gulag, the Soviets had expunged his military service records. This was devastating, because without service records a person could not easily get any sort of quality medical care from the state. Nevertheless, he carried on.

Late in the 1980s, Stanislav's son died, leaving a son of his own for Stanislav to care for. Then the grandson came down with leukemia, and because Stanislav could not get good medical care, this was a death sentence. And finally, after all of this time, he received the first letter from my Grandad. The state had let the mail through at last. And so he was writing my grandfather to see if there was any way to recover US Army records which might prove to Ukranian authorities that he had served.

Grandad and Grandma hopped a plane to Washington, DC and started poking around. Before long, someone from the State Department heard their story and got involved. They flew my grandparents to Kiev, and brought Stanislav and his grandson back to the United States for medical treatment. The boy recovered, Stanislav's service records were amended, and I learned as a teenager that everyone from the former USSR weren't monsters after all.

My Grandad was a great man.

That's a great story. THANKS! for sharing.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:19 PM, Caver60 said:

Here it is, in short. I would need to cross check some things to make sure it is all correct, but this is the story in brief:

Some time in March, 1944, the 45th was moving into Germany in near constant combat. Grandad was a machine gunner. His best friend was named Dizzy, and Dizzy carried the tripod in the three man crew. Dizzy was killed in combat. At that time, the Allies had an agreement among themselves that if any of the Allied powers liberated POWs from the Germans, they could use them in their own armies until the war ended, rather than go through everything it would take to repatriate them.

Shortly after Dizzy was killed, Grandad's unit received a Soviet POW named Stanislav Ordinsky. He was Ukranian, a former university professor who spoke seven languages fluently, but not English (haha). Grandad was a farm boy from Royse City, Texas, and spoke some Spanish. And that was how they communicated until Stanislav learned English. They became good friends through combat and some other escapades, and when the war ended, Stanislav gave Grandad his address in Kiev and headed east for the USSR.

Every year on VE Day for the next 45 or 46 years, Grandad would drop a letter in the mail for Stanislav. There was never a response. Then the Wall fell, and sometime that year or next he got a letter back from Stanislav. Turns out that after he got home, Stanislav was sent to a Gulag in Siberia for a number of years, a consequence of having served with the Americans. When he got out of the Gulag, the Soviets had expunged his military service records. This was devastating, because without service records a person could not easily get any sort of quality medical care from the state. Nevertheless, he carried on.

Late in the 1980s, Stanislav's son died, leaving a son of his own for Stanislav to care for. Then the grandson came down with leukemia, and because Stanislav could not get good medical care, this was a death sentence. And finally, after all of this time, he received the first letter from my Grandad. The state had let the mail through at last. And so he was writing my grandfather to see if there was any way to recover US Army records which might prove to Ukranian authorities that he had served.

Grandad and Grandma hopped a plane to Washington, DC and started poking around. Before long, someone from the State Department heard their story and got involved. They flew my grandparents to Kiev, and brought Stanislav and his grandson back to the United States for medical treatment. The boy recovered, Stanislav's service records were amended, and I learned as a teenager that everyone from the former USSR weren't monsters after all.

Holy shit, this is amazing.  Fuck yes, your Grandad was a great man.  

On 11/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, Caver60 said:

I'm almost crying reading this.  Fucking a.  Awesome.

I can’t decide if Motherless Brooklyn was great or not.
I really enjoyed it. But I kept flashing back to Chinatown (one of the best movies ever) so much so that I was waiting for the last line catch phrase in the movie. And it delivered. “Brooklyn is big but some things are bigger”

12 hours ago, drifter379 said:

I can’t decide if Motherless Brooklyn was great or not.
I really enjoyed it. But I kept flashing back to Chinatown (one of the best movies ever) so much so that I was waiting for the last line catch phrase in the movie. And it delivered. “Brooklyn is big but some things are bigger”

I really liked it. 

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Anyone else watch the repair shop?

I got through about 2 episodes of it and stopped.   Did it get better?   Too much like the history channel schlock for me where they repeat so much stuff to make an hour long show out of 30 minutes.  Plus they didn't really get down to the details of what they did to make the repairs.   Guess that was too technical.   

11 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I got through about 2 episodes of it and stopped.   Did it get better?   Too much like the history channel schlock for me where they repeat so much stuff to make an hour long show out of 30 minutes.  Plus they didn't really get down to the details of what they did to make the repairs.   Guess that was too technical.   

I’d prefer more detailed repair demo as well. It is what it is, doesn’t change. 
also not sure why they pulled the first two seasons they had, then only added this third season as a stand-alone. 

If you watched "Dark Waters" (Ruffalo as corporate defense attorney who spends the second half of his career fighting DuPont over poisoning the world with dangerous chemicals used to make teflon), "The Devil We Know" is a doc on Netflix on the topic. The movie is great (not on Netflix), the doc is similar to other docs of this type but if you feel like getting mad at dupont all over again it is infuriating. Also, Bucky Bailey (the baby of a mother who worked with the chemicals who was born with severe facial deformities) is super inspiring. In Dark Waters, he showed up in a bit part pumping gas (as himself, I think) and even that was a bit inspiring. But how he comes across and the story he relates about his dad taking him shopping for airwalks when he had just gotten a balloon implanted into his skull at the hospital is inspiring.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

for all you Great British Baking Show fans (aka GBBO), Netflix just dropped last season's holiday special featuring the Derry Girls cast.  holy shit.  that was hysterical.

Gf has been bugging about watching that British baking show, and I love Derry Girls. I will go with this one. Thanks,

I made a resolution this year to watch more movies than TV. I watch TV because it comes in 20-60 minute chunks and feels like less of a commitment (it is more of a commitment), but movies pack more punch per pound. With the lockdown and various other shit that resolution turned into "I'm going to watch 366 movies this year", I'm up to... 353.

At any rate Netflix keeps popping "The Florida Project" up in my feed, which I think has been added (added back? or maybe it was on Prime earlier this year) recently. I watched it in January or February, and it is one of the most impactful movies I've seen this year. I think about it a fair bit. It's a very minimalist story told mostly from the perspective of a young girl living in poverty with her single mother in a project near Disney World. It's worth the two hours.

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I made a resolution this year to watch more movies than TV. I watch TV because it comes in 20-60 minute chunks and feels like less of a commitment (it is more of a commitment), but movies pack more punch per pound. With the lockdown and various other shit that resolution turned into "I'm going to watch 366 movies this year", I'm up to... 353.

At any rate Netflix keeps popping "The Florida Project" up in my feed, which I think has been added (added back? or maybe it was on Prime earlier this year) recently. I watched it in January or February, and it is one of the most impactful movies I've seen this year. I think about it a fair bit. It's a very minimalist story told mostly from the perspective of a young girl living in poverty with her single mother in a project near Disney World. It's worth the two hours.

I watched it a few months back.  Very accurate depiction of Florida trash.  Sad movie but great.

On 12/5/2020 at 12:04 PM, Jive Turkey said:

for all you Great British Baking Show fans (aka GBBO), Netflix just dropped last season's holiday special featuring the Derry Girls cast.  holy shit.  that was hysterical.

Yeah makes me think they aren’t acting in that show, that’s really how the are. 

The show about chinese food uses some kind of super close up camera to get the money shots of the food while it is cooking. Just a real good amount of focus on small food items. The establishing shots of rural china and the marketplaces that set up the food shots are good too. Just a meticulously well shot food show.

17 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

The show about chinese food uses some kind of super close up camera to get the money shots of the food while it is cooking. Just a real good amount of focus on small food items. The establishing shots of rural china and the marketplaces that set up the food shots are good too. Just a meticulously well shot food show.

Which show is this?