Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

South Carolina is paying $13.2 million to buy out Muschamp.  Aggy paid Sumlin 10 mil for his buyout 4 years ago.  This isn't 1995 anymore.  I agree that this is a fuck ton of money to coach a game but this is where college football is.  It's not like these programs don't rake in millions of dollars with how much tickets and the gameday experience costs now a days and their tv contracts.

All good points in answer to this, and believe me, I'm fine with private money funding this ridiculous carnage. And I also agree Urban Meyer pays immediate dividends. The optics in these socioeconomic and political times are bad no matter what, but I agree that's the price of the arms race in college football. You make a mistake like Tom Herman not once but twice (hiring him, then extending him---and I understand all the dynamics around those two decisions, which did not seem ill at the time) and it's going to cost you. Will Herman on CDC's resume as a massive blunder too?  

I listened to Scipio's podcast about the history of Texas coach hires and he made a good point that with very few exceptions Texas has hired well below the echelon at which a program of this supposed rank should be shooting, showing a major disconnect between who the admins perceive us to be and how we are perceived. That includes Herman. Of course, the list of proven program builders is ... two? (Saban and UM?) Beyond that you have to get lucky, I guess. The trick is evidently not Xs and Os but the complex task of program management at every level. Herman preached alignment, but ... 

On that note, can Mack be considered a program builder? Can Pete Carroll? Stoops and Meyer built juggernauts that have lasted beyond them, but the universities were wise enough to put the right person in charge. Though Mack has produced a UNC team that's higher ranked than Texas this year, Mack's UT program collapsed before he left. Carroll left as the building was imploding. Swinney impressively caught fire in a bottle.

22 minutes ago, KingLerxst said:

If we mess this up?

Jesus people. It sounds like they’ve already pretty much done all they can to try and get him here. If he decides he doesn’t want the job. Nothing can be done to make him take it. He doesn’t want to be here nearly as bad as we all want him here. If he wants the job. Firing or not firing Herman today/tomorrow or next week isn’t going to matter. 

Yet some are going to be ready to stop supporting the program just because Meyer may not feel like coaching again.

Have offered $20m/yr? To get Urby, I'm willing to kick in 4 figures a year.

Make him say FUCK NO, not just no. Make it tax free, if you have too. You know we will get that back and them more.

Edited by Brothahorn

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think the bottom line is after the W against KU next week, that’s a 7-3 season. Disappointing? Yes. If this was the end of Herman’s contract you don’t renew him for next year at all. But 7-3 just isn’t “pay $15 mil to get rid of him now” bad. 

If that is the plan then we have fucked ourselves completely by not squashing these rumors and giving Herman the support he needs. He is going to have a very hard time winning in the future with the state of his recruiting and our administration played a role in letting that happen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So, I'm going to go on a little bit of a rant here.

If Meyer doesn't happen, just look at how this process has played out.  For the entire season, the administration has not provided any votes of confidence to help stabilize the program and recruiting. That means they are hell bent on making a change and didn't want to do that.  Okay, fine. 

But if you are committed to change, how in the heck can you let the Urban Meyer stuff play out all of the way to the end of the season and not have him locked down? You either get a no and move on, or you lock him down, weeks or months ago. Not NOW. That way you don't subject yourself to being publicly left at the alter, with fans, recruits and players deflated over settling for the next Herman-like choice. Whether the next coach is better than Herman or not, you've hurt the perception of the program, which will hurt recruiting, support, etc.

On the other hand, if you had processed Meyer early, you could of nipped all the rumors early, and then when you announce Cristobal, Mullins or whoever, at least people would be encouraged, instead of deflated.

If he doesn't come, this thing was mis-managed, big-time.

If we didnt start the process the day after OU(which was AFTER the TCU and Tech debacles) and we didn't know he was going to say yes after a month or so of back and forth then we did this wrong.  He isn't coaching anywhere so there was no reason not to negotiate asap.  If he doesn't want to come you let it out through whatever avenues(the 9.95ers are good for that one thing) that Urban isn't interested in Texas.

The only possible reason to keep it open is potentially for negotiating with your options that will say yes.  I'd say thats a pretty thin reason.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

All due respect, but you’re wrong. 

I should have specified I was referring to that context. In the sentence he wrote nobody refers to it as the university. Certainly not on a message board like this. "I went to Texas" is what people who actually went to Texas say there.

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That has been my thing ever since the OU game. Either we are firing this guy or we are not. If we are not then we need to rally behind Herman and do whatever we can to make sure he is successful. 

That's not how this works at all. 

You don't fire a coach without having a viable option lined up. 

Also, the plane I posted about earlier this week that went Las Vegas --> Bermuda Dunes (Palm Springs/La Quinta area) is back to being of interest. It's at Van Nuys in LA right now. Tonight's flight log shows Van Nuys to Houston. Tomorrow's shows a trips to Sugar Land on to Dallas, then final leg to Austin with touch-down late afternoon. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It happens all the time.  I guess you don’t fire a mediocre coach with no real alternative other than a GOAT coach unless that GOAT coach had said yes.  

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

If we didnt start the process the day after OU(which was AFTER the TCU and Tech debacles) and we didn't know he was going to say yes after a month or so of back and forth then we did this wrong.  He isn't coaching anywhere so there was no reason not to negotiate asap.  If he doesn't want to come you let it out through whatever avenues(the 9.95ers are good for that one thing) that Urban isn't interested in Texas.

The only possible reason to keep it open is potentially for negotiating with your options that will say yes.  I'd say thats a pretty thin reason.

Yeah, I don’t buy that reason. The plan Bs have far less leverage, and knowing UM isn’t interested would only make them say, “wow, I actually have a shot of getting this job”

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

Also, the plane I posted about earlier this week that went Las Vegas --> Bermuda Dunes (Palm Springs/La Quinta area) is back to being of interest. It's at Van Nuys in LA right now. Tonight's flight log shows Van Nuys to Houston. Tomorrow's shows a trips to Sugar Land on to Dallas, then final leg to Austin with touch-down late afternoon. 

pickin up the men in the cowboy hats for the ride and the dinner?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

What? That is the normal way it is done. How often does a team have the next coach ready to go? I mean it sometimes happens but it is the exception.

2 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

serious question... are flight logs just a bunch of misdirection or do these planes actually go from HOU -> Sugar Land -> Dallas

2 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Meet Houston and Dallas BMD first ?  Then announce on Monday in Austin? very intriguing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Bunch of bad whining going on here. We have a primary target who is light years ahead of any other target. The delay is because he's deciding and/or negotiating. Nothing has been mismanaged even if says no.

When sober minds speak.

7 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

The optics in these socioeconomic and political times are bad no matter what

Notice that you are saying "optics", not "ethics". In other words, how it looks to other people or what other people will think of us. Not if it's morally right or wrong, but how it will be perceived. I feel like that's how the University has run its athletics for the thirty years I've followed the programs. 

If we can't stop worrying about how we'll maintain decorous appearances, then I quit as a fan. I don't care how we're perceived, optically, sonically, olfactorally, any of that shit. I want us to win. More to the point, I don't care to try to guess in advance how what we do will be perceived. I want us to to the things that are most likely to result in fucking victories on the field and I don't care if it shortdicks every cannibal on the Congo. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Well well well. Will ya look at those Chanticleers. And that's how ya coach a damn team. I know their HC isn't yet ready for the big time but damn will he be at some point. Go Coastal Carolina.

Also, no disrespect at all for the wet blanket throwers. I get it. They know stuff. I get it. They want UT to win too. I get it. They aren't tight with CDC. But do ya have to every time we are throwing a damn party pour water on the fucking candles before we can blow them out. For fucks sake. we get it. UM may not happen. He may not happen. Can we just enjoy what we saw today on tv and have happy fucking thoughts for a little bit. All of us know that it may not happen. It is a huge deal to all of us. We just want to enjoy not being told NO YET for the next several hours. It is necessary to come in and stir shit up with a "Hey guys, I want to be wrong but this could be really bad..." right when everyone is having fun and this thread is rocking. We already know it may not fucking happen. Doing it once, fine. Doing it, twice OK we heard ya. Doing it every 45-50 pages or so is making me think y'all aren't trying to spare us from the ultimate rejection you just want to piss on the birthday cake as well.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

image.jpeg.e7f536873dfc4ad6b15cdc234cb500a4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Ok wood!  But could that be UT people flying around?

This whining shit reminds of all the Monday morning qbs saying the cowboys should've extended Dak in his __ year. It takes two to tango. Stop assuming that just one party is solely responsible for what is going to happen. If Meyer (or Saban the last time) really wants to come here, he will,  simple as that. All of the prognosticating on the fuckups of the athletic department and BMDs is just silly. 

It's such an egocentric view that if UT doesn't get a recruit, coach, hot coed, etc, it's somehow because they fucked it all up because everyone obviously wants to come here above all else. 

We're allegedly trying to give a guy $84 million dollars and whatever else the fuck he wants. If he doesn't come, that's his decision. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Well well well. Will ya look at those Chanticleers. And that's how ya coach a damn team. I know their HC isn't yet ready for the big time but damn will he be at some point. Go Coastal Carolina.

I'll consider him a worthwhile candidate as soon as he's put a P5 team in an NY6 bowl a couple of times. Minimum. I am done with trying to guess which G5 flash in the pan is heading to the Hall of Fame in thirty years. 

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Notice that you are saying "optics", not "ethics". In other words, how it looks to other people or what other people will think of us. Not if it's morally right or wrong, but how it will be perceived. I feel like that's how the University has run its athletics for the thirty years I've followed the programs. 

If we can't stop worrying about how we'll maintain decorous appearances, then I quit as a fan. I don't care how we're perceived, optically, sonically, olfactorally, any of that shit. I want us to win. More to the point, I don't care to try to guess in advance how what we do will be perceived. I want us to to the things that are most likely to result in fucking victories on the field and I don't care if it shortdicks every cannibal on the Congo. 

A.......fucking.......men

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So, I'm going to go on a little bit of a rant here.

If Meyer doesn't happen, just look at how this process has played out.  For the entire season, the administration has not provided any votes of confidence to help stabilize the program and recruiting. That means they are hell bent on making a change and didn't want to do that.  Okay, fine. 

But if you are committed to change, how in the heck can you let the Urban Meyer stuff play out all of the way to the end of the season and not have him locked down? You either get a no and move on, or you lock him down, weeks or months ago. Not NOW. That way you don't subject yourself to being publicly left at the alter, with fans, recruits and players deflated over settling for the next Herman-like choice. Whether the next coach is better than Herman or not, you've hurt the perception of the program, which will hurt recruiting, support, etc.

On the other hand, if you had processed Meyer early, you could of nipped all the rumors early, and then when you announce Cristobal, Mullins or whoever, at least people would be encouraged, instead of deflated.

If he doesn't come, this thing was mis-managed, big-time.

It's Urban Meyer. What are you going to do, give him a midseason deadline? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DirtyMike said:

serious question... are flight logs just a bunch of misdirection or do these planes actually go from HOU -> Sugar Land -> Dallas

You can tell when they're misdirection when, for example, the destination for Flight 1 doesn't line up with the departure location for Flight 2. You can piece it together though. That's not what's happening here.

Assuming for the sake of the argument this plane is involved in the coaching search, the flight path suggests to me that they're rounding people up from each location to bring them back to Austin for an aligned purpose. Otherwise, why fly out of the way to Dallas first instead of going directly to Austin having whatever BSDs are Dallas get their own plane to town?

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic