Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

18 minutes ago, wood said:

Perfect: " Bemoaning the difficulty of a job, any job, is nothing more than an excuse, and nothing more than inner-recognition that you're not the right person for it."

Yeah I’m sick of the “winning is really hard” bullshit.  It’s amazing that Herman makes North of $5mil a year and somehow sees himself as a victim.  There were clear signs that he wasn’t up for this job and now he’s proven over four years he can’t complete with OU so not sure what else matters at this point.  Tom don’t go away mad, just go away.  Herman is a great underdog coach.  The problem is Texas isn’t an underdog school.  A great job for Tom would be South Carolina.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

I brought up Michelle because a few days ago she was retweeting Courtney Smith and liking tweets talking about how Urban and Shelley Meyer are sacks of shit and abuse enablers.

Why would she be doing this now when we are winning games? Obviously the Urban to Texas talk is getting to the Hermans, enough so that there was a question about Meyer and a very detailed response given in the press conference. 

Probably means Urban is coming

48 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah that’s indefensible. She needs to shut the fuck up. Stop trying to sway my opinion on Urban because I’m unswayable. He wins football games consistently, and your husband (also a known piece of shit) doesn’t win enough. 

I don’t care about your retweets and likes of tainted sources. Don’t be Randolph Duke with great tits. 

cdde4653-7d43-4b54-b35d-9e853fd11468_text (1).gif

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Yeah I’m sick of the “winning is really hard” bullshit.  It’s amazing that Herman makes North of $5mil a year and somehow sees himself as a victim.  There were clear signs that he wasn’t up for this job and now he’s proven over four years he can’t complete with OU so not sure what else matters at this point.  Tom don’t go away mad, just go away.  Herman is a great underdog coach.  The problem is Texas isn’t an underdog school.  A great job for Tom would be South Carolina.  

agreed.  he has a big chip on his shoulder.  the kind of chip you get from knowing that 1/2 of your genetic make up comes from a man who died homeless.  this serves you well when you've got the rich kids in your crosshairs and are taking them down, but not so much once you are the rich kid.

40 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Make up your mind about the message boards, Tom.

Are they spreading rumors about your job and making recruiting difficult for you?

Or are they the secret to your success? A few weeks ago you said your staff was searching the Baylor message boards to help you gain any advantage to beat them.

Lmao that was my thoughts as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Crossposting since it just happened...

Just now on "The Herd" --  Cowturd  and Klatt discussed problems CFB coaches are having this year and Cowturd called out Herman for his current poor recruiting in the State of Texas...

Klatt jumped in and mentioned Hernan's outburst about the rumors on Urban coming to TEXAS -- Klatt said no way that Mensa should be blaming the rumors for hurting recruiting.   Said to Turtle-Tom, "DON'T TALK ABOUT IT"

Urban using his connections...😂😂😂

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I do. Only sharing because it was alarming to say the least. I guess they can think whatever they want - no one with any actual pull or investment in the matter is posting on reddit.

You will find similar sentiments on Facebook (also recommend avoiding) because the people on there are fly by night fans that may know the name of the starting QB and that is the depth of their knowledge of football.  Their level of knowledge on cat memes is off the charts however.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Crossposting since it just happened...

Just now on "The Herd" --  Cowturd  and Klatt discussed problems CFB coaches are having this year and Cowturd called out Herman for his current poor recruiting in the State of Texas...

Klatt jumped in and mentioned Hernan's outburst about the rumors on Urban coming to TEXAS -- Klatt said no way that Mensa should be blaming the rumors for hurting recruiting.   Said to Turtle-Tom, "DON'T TALK ABOUT IT"

Urban using his connections...😂😂😂

Yeah. Saw that. Herman done himself no favors there. Klatt said focus on winning games. You win u don’t have to worry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yeah. Saw that. Herman done himself no favors there. Klatt said focus on winning games. You win u don’t have to worry. 

I love Joel Klatt.  Him and Gus are the best announcers in the business.  Seems like a down to earth guy that is simply a fan of all football.  He knows bullshit when he sees it and is seeing a bunch of bullshit go on with Herman.  When a big talking head of a major outlet like Joel Klatt calls out Herman's bullshit, it only helps the narrative that he's a sinking ship.

• Hook 'Em 5

Tom Herman confronts Urban Meyer rumors       😂😂😂

By Zach Barnett -   November 16, 2020

They went there in Austin today. During Tom Herman’s weekly press conference, the Texas head coach was asked if he’s concerned about the rumors that he’ll be fired and replaced by Urban Meyer after this season.

“I’m concerned about our players. I’m concerned about our program. I’m concerned about beating Kansas. I’m concerned about all of our goals still being in front of us,” he said.  “With our players it’s really easy because they know the truth. There’s a second of people within our enterprise that know the truth, and then there’s rumors. There’s unnamed sources, there’s agendas, there’s Internet reporters that claim their own opinion as fact. The player part is really easy, almost comical where a player will come up to me and say, ‘Coach, you’ll never guess what lunacy just came across my feed.’

“The recruiting part’s a different story. When you have the things that have been written about us and our program, myself and our future, very unfounded articles that state opinion as fact, that state unnamed sources as factual, that’s very hard to defend against. If I’m a competing recruiter, what do you do? You press print and you say, ‘Look, this is true. It must be true, it’s on Orangefans.com,” Herman concluded.  The ironic part about Herman’s answer is that the question was asked by Anwar Richardson, who works for Orangebloods.com. So it’s very possible Richardson or one of his colleagues wrote the very articles Herman just lamented.  And, yes, annoying as it must be to deal with job rumors swirling over your head while trying to sell recruits on spending the next 4-to-5 years in Austin, he’s far from the first or last coach to deal with that particular job hazard.

Just ask rival Lincoln Riley, who has been hired away by half the NFL by this point according to the rumor mill. While the genesis of those rumors are totally different, the message to recruits is the same — that the coach recruiting him won’t be around long.

Texas has won its last three games. Thanks to off weeks bookending wins over Baylor, Oklahoma State and West Virginia, it’s been five Saturdays since the Longhorns have lost a game.

With no recent loss to ruminate over, the Austin media has focused its palace intrigue on Chris Del Conte’s Twitter account. The Texas AD, you see, didn’t tweet about any of the football team’s wins during its ongoing streak, while making a point to praise victories by other UT teams.

“I couldn’t be more aligned with our athletic director, my boss, who we meet with constantly, who has assured me of his support and the support of university leadership, and who has commended me and my staff for how we have handled the craziest year in college football history,” Herman said.  “I know what is said to me eye to eye, man to man, in offices, in meetings and all of that. There is no stock placed in the tweet count of a 50-year-old man,” he said later.

Texas will likely be favored in its last three games, road trips to Kansas and Kansas State sandwiched around a home date with Iowa State. Win each of those and Texas will be back in the Big 12 Championship, likely against the winner of Saturday night’s Bedlam game.  Win that (B12 CCG) and Herman will have forced UT’s hand, to keep him for 2021 or fire the coach who just secured the first Big 12 title in 11 years.

https://footballscoop.com/news/tom-herman-confronts-urban-meyer-rumors/

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Transcript...

Urban Meyer diagnoses the three reasons that teams struggle and underachieve

By Doug Samuels -    November 17, 2020

Whether it’s the craziness of brought by COVID, or any other variety of factors, the 2020 season has been a struggle for a number of teams that expected to be faring far better at this point in the season. Teams like LSU, Penn State, and Michigan are teams that immediately come to mind when you think of disappointing starts, but there are plenty of others.

On Fox’s Big Noon Kickoff show, Urban Meyer was asked about teams that are struggling and he mentioned the importance of “checking under the hood.” Asked to expand on that, Urban diagnosed the three reasons that teams struggle.

“So many of us are excuse makers, that’s just part of who we are and it shouldn’t be that way. When you see a team struggle, the first thing that the fans and the media blame are the players and then they blame the coaches.”

“Never make excuses. When I was a coach, I would never let one of my coaches say, ‘He’s a bad player.’ I would warn him, ‘Say that again and you’ll probably have to leave,” because now you’re just making excuses. Dig deep and find out why.”

“Every time that I have had a team struggle, every time, it has fallen into one of three categories; number one, there is some sort of trust issue. The player don’t trust the coach, or the coach doesn’t trust the players, or, often when the players don’t trust each other.”

“Number two, it’s called a dysfunctional work environment. Where the expectations are really high, but we don’t work hard. The coach has to be really clear with his team and realize that is going to lead to frustration, anger, disappointment, because we want to win a championship, but I’ve got news guys…we’re not working hard. Your work ethic must exceed or equate your expectations.”

The third one is “You’ve got a selfish team, man…Football is an unselfish sport. You’ve got to do the nasty; that means as a running back you have to go protect your quarterback, you don’t always get to carry the ball. Sometimes you have to run down and cover the kickoff at 22 miles per hour, throw yourself into someone running the other way at 15 miles per hour. That’s not fun. Why would you do that? Because you love your team and your teammates.”

“So when you hear teams like LSU, Penn State, and the Wolverines struggling, stop with the talk about bad players. I get so sick of hearing that. It’s not the players. I don’t think it’s the coaches. But there is something wrong. Lift the hood and find out one of those three things.”

See Urban’s full comments in the clip.

https://footballscoop.com/news/urban-meyer-diagnoses-the-three-reasons-that-teams-struggle-and-underachieve/

I hear what Urban is saying, but there's an implicit assumption that any coach can be successful. Some people suck at their job and others will never be more than mediocre. Trust, work ethic, and selflessness may be necessary for a team to reach its potential. Coaching (including recruiting, development, and scheme) sets the ceiling though unless you have a transcendent talent like Vince Young. Most coaches aren't Urban Meyer or Saban or Dabo and never will be. No matter how many Ohio State coaches he hires, Herman just is not in Urban's league and will never achieve the same level of success. He can do better than losing to TCU and squeaking by Tech, but I think Texas expects more than that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I assume that ole Herminator knows people who know things about what Urban is up to. Him and anwar’s little charade they planned is actually the strongest evidence I’ve seen that Meyer might be a real candidate. That took some legit fear and angst to put on that little theatre show, make it Tom and his team versus Covid/CDC/negative recruiting/No spring practice...etc. He was pleading 🥺. I like it. Come on down Urbs!!! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I assume that ole Herminator knows people who know things about what Urban is up to. Him and anwar’s little charade they planned is actually the strongest evidence I’ve seen that Meyer might be a real candidate. That took some legit fear and angst to put on that little theatre show, make it Tom and his team versus Covid/CDC/negative recruiting/No spring practice...etc. He was pleading 🥺. I like it. Come on down Urbs!!! 

Yep. But if he actually thinks it's gonna make a shit, he's delusional AF.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

That fact that CDC hasn't said shit is my only hope.  It's also quite obvious that CDC asked Reese and the other coaches to comment about the eyes.  I think CDC probably realizes this guy is a fucking moron and himself wants him out regardless of record.

Yeah I'm a little slow, so I didn't make that connection until today, reading Burton's update. That realization has made me more confident than ever that Mensa is on his way out.

Released by the Big 12 Conference:

Irving, Texas - In accordance with Big 12 Conference football game interruption guidelines, the Texas at Kansas game scheduled for November 21 has been postponed. The game will be rescheduled on December 12. The time and television designation will be announced when available.

Just now, tejas60 said:

Released by the Big 12 Conference:

Irving, Texas - In accordance with Big 12 Conference football game interruption guidelines, the Texas at Kansas game scheduled for November 21 has been postponed. The game will be rescheduled on December 12. The time and television designation will be announced when available.

FUCK

3 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the season was cancelled due to rona cases.  If that's the case, we can fire him now and hire Urban.

I can honestly see that happening. College football being shut down. I would have said no a month ago. But now? Scary shit. Herman really messed up with his prepared question/answer bit. As Joel Klatt pointed out—you don’t talk about that shit. 

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

This post is one of a handful I wanted to multi quote but didn’t. 

To me, that seems like a little bit of a “directed“ shot from UM across TH’s bow? Am I reading too much into it? I mean how convenient that the article came out now? I mean it’s not like coaches don’t know and align with journalists to work the narrative. TH’s planted question, a convenient article about why coaches fail, and they do it all the time.

Edited by thunderlounge
I haz da dum

2 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

This post is one of a handful I wanted to multi quote but didn’t. 

To me, that seems like a little bit of a “directed“ shot from UM across TH’s bow? Am I reading too much into it? I mean how convenient that the article came out now? I mean it’s not like coaches don’t know and align with journalists to work the narrative. TH’s planted question, a convenient article about why coaches fail, and they do it all the time.

I think Tom was watching Urban on TV Saturday and listened to that segment where he spoke about teams that aren't winning..  And he realized that the shoe fit, and that ruffled his feathers. So he calls Anwar to do him a solid and ask this question Monday, where he will be prepared to answer it with 12k words.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

Pretty pathetic how this is the general Texas football thread now lol

This and the Fire Herman thread are the only two I check anymore.  The defense is getting better sure, but I don't give a shit about incremental improvement of a shitty product.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I think Tom was watching Urban on TV Saturday and listened to that segment where he spoke about teams that aren't winning..  And he realized that the shoe fit, and that ruffled his feathers. So he calls Anwar to do him a solid and ask this question Monday, where he will be prepared to answer it with 12k words.

It may purely be coincidence, but I mean it sure isn’t even close to being out of the realm of possibility. 

If so, fire the first shot. Well played, Coach. Puts a grin on my face really. Be nice to actually put some balls behind big ol mean ol By God Texas Football for the first time in a long, long time. 

Fuck.
*tweet was deleted - it did say that the Texas v. Kansas game has been postponed.  likely to Dec 12th.
Wow, J Lee Motley with a direct and to the point truth bomb, lol

But sitting here I'm not so sure CDC fears firing...the money at UT is good, but he knows he could easily land another AD job with his resume, and likely one with far less pressure and meddling BMD's.

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

On 247, Just posted...  (Nice job @Nicole44 )

Joel Klatt blasts Tom Herman's recruiting at Texas

ByCLINT BUCKLEY 44 minutes ago

Despite a three-game winning streak, there are questions swirling around Tom Herman’s future as head coach of the Texas Longhorns. Earlier this week, Herman addressed rumors that Urban Meyer could be brought in to replace Herman after this year.

While Texas has regrouped following early-season losses to TCU and Oklahoma, the Longhorns (5-2) have taken a significant hit on the recruiting trail. Texas lost two major quarterback commits in recent months, and another significant 2021 pledge to rival Oklahoma.

FOX analyst Joel Klatt did not hold back in his criticism of Herman and Texas’ recruiting.

“It's a problem,” Klatt said this week on The Herd with Colin Cowherd. “It certainly wasn't the case when Mack (Brown) was winning a lot of games. They've gotten a lot of good recruiting classes but they've lost that luster in the state. It's not just Oklahoma and Texas A&M. LSU and Alabama have been getting in there. Ohio State….Tom Herman came out and said it's hurting us in recruiting that there are rumors about Urban Meyer in Texas. You don’t address that. Tom you don't address that. Go out there and win games, keep your job and you'll be fine. I don't quite understand, Texas A&M has really hit the recruiting trail hard and Lincoln Riley is an excellent recruiter.”

(Below is the complete article)

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Tom-Herman-criticized-recruiting-Joel-Klatt-Quinn-Ewers-Jalen-Milroe-Billy-Bowman-154996568/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Tom Herman confronts Urban Meyer rumors       😂😂😂

By Zach Barnett -   November 16, 2020

They went there in Austin today. During Tom Herman’s weekly press conference, the Texas head coach was asked if he’s concerned about the rumors that he’ll be fired and replaced by Urban Meyer after this season.

“I’m concerned about our players. I’m concerned about our program. I’m concerned about beating Kansas. I’m concerned about all of our goals still being in front of us,” he said.  “With our players it’s really easy because they know the truth. There’s a second of people within our enterprise that know the truth, and then there’s rumors. There’s unnamed sources, there’s agendas, there’s Internet reporters that claim their own opinion as fact. The player part is really easy, almost comical where a player will come up to me and say, ‘Coach, you’ll never guess what lunacy just came across my feed.’

“The recruiting part’s a different story. When you have the things that have been written about us and our program, myself and our future, very unfounded articles that state opinion as fact, that state unnamed sources as factual, that’s very hard to defend against. If I’m a competing recruiter, what do you do? You press print and you say, ‘Look, this is true. It must be true, it’s on Orangefans.com,” Herman concluded.  The ironic part about Herman’s answer is that the question was asked by Anwar Richardson, who works for Orangebloods.com. So it’s very possible Richardson or one of his colleagues wrote the very articles Herman just lamented.  And, yes, annoying as it must be to deal with job rumors swirling over your head while trying to sell recruits on spending the next 4-to-5 years in Austin, he’s far from the first or last coach to deal with that particular job hazard.

Just ask rival Lincoln Riley, who has been hired away by half the NFL by this point according to the rumor mill. While the genesis of those rumors are totally different, the message to recruits is the same — that the coach recruiting him won’t be around long.

Texas has won its last three games. Thanks to off weeks bookending wins over Baylor, Oklahoma State and West Virginia, it’s been five Saturdays since the Longhorns have lost a game.

With no recent loss to ruminate over, the Austin media has focused its palace intrigue on Chris Del Conte’s Twitter account. The Texas AD, you see, didn’t tweet about any of the football team’s wins during its ongoing streak, while making a point to praise victories by other UT teams.

“I couldn’t be more aligned with our athletic director, my boss, who we meet with constantly, who has assured me of his support and the support of university leadership, and who has commended me and my staff for how we have handled the craziest year in college football history,” Herman said.  “I know what is said to me eye to eye, man to man, in offices, in meetings and all of that. There is no stock placed in the tweet count of a 50-year-old man,” he said later.

Texas will likely be favored in its last three games, road trips to Kansas and Kansas State sandwiched around a home date with Iowa State. Win each of those and Texas will be back in the Big 12 Championship, likely against the winner of Saturday night’s Bedlam game.  Win that (B12 CCG) and Herman will have forced UT’s hand, to keep him for 2021 or fire the coach who just secured the first Big 12 title in 11 years.

https://footballscoop.com/news/tom-herman-confronts-urban-meyer-rumors/

He’s CUMing for you, Tom. 

076CC08A-2293-47C9-BFB7-46E07677EFE6.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jinx said:

This and the Fire Herman thread are the only two I check anymore.  The defense is getting better sure, but I don't give a shit about incremental improvement of a shitty product.

Yay for incremental improvements in year 4.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

On 247, Just posted...  (Nice job @Nicole44 )

Joel Klatt blasts Tom Herman's recruiting at Texas

ByCLINT BUCKLEY 44 minutes ago

Despite a three-game winning streak, there are questions swirling around Tom Herman’s future as head coach of the Texas Longhorns. Earlier this week, Herman addressed rumors that Urban Meyer could be brought in to replace Herman after this year.

While Texas has regrouped following early-season losses to TCU and Oklahoma, the Longhorns (5-2) have taken a significant hit on the recruiting trail. Texas lost two major quarterback commits in recent months, and another significant 2021 pledge to rival Oklahoma.

FOX analyst Joel Klatt did not hold back in his criticism of Herman and Texas’ recruiting.

“It's a problem,” Klatt said this week on The Herd with Colin Cowherd. “It certainly wasn't the case when Mack (Brown) was winning a lot of games. They've gotten a lot of good recruiting classes but they've lost that luster in the state. It's not just Oklahoma and Texas A&M. LSU and Alabama have been getting in there. Ohio State….Tom Herman came out and said it's hurting us in recruiting that there are rumors about Urban Meyer in Texas. You don’t address that. Tom you don't address that. Go out there and win games, keep your job and you'll be fine. I don't quite understand, Texas A&M has really hit the recruiting trail hard and Lincoln Riley is an excellent recruiter.”

(Below is the complete article)

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Tom-Herman-criticized-recruiting-Joel-Klatt-Quinn-Ewers-Jalen-Milroe-Billy-Bowman-154996568/

It was also the first thing he talked about on the ticket today. 

2 hours ago, jinx said:

Same, I've kind of lost interest in the football program except for possible changes.  That's a big change for me, and I'm not a super donor or anything, but I've definitely helped the program until recently.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic