Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

My in-laws are lifelong Republicans, mainly because they're rich as fuck. They cannot stand the idea that one penny of their tax dollars might go toward helping someone else out. If you press them, they'll pretty much admit that they don't give a fuck about culture war issues. They're racists, but more in a "those kind of people tend to be lazy" type way than an overt "we must protect White heritage!!" way. They're what used to be called Country Club Republicans. For the life of me, I can't figure out what they stand to gain from a Donald Trump presidency.

Their only sources of information about the world are Fox News and stuff that they see in emails from their friends and on Facebook. Therefore, DT can do no wrong in their minds. Any mainstream information source like the NYT or network news is laughably biased and not worthy of the slightest attention.

If they are rich as fuck, then they keep lower taxes with him in office.  So they have that to gain/maintain. 

I can't stand the man, but I will say his tax cuts helped me quite a bit and I'm no where close to rich.  

22 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

It’s tonight, Wednesday. I just saved you unless I missed something obvious

i'm still catching up from a few pages back, someone's probably said this...but i caught the replay late last night and holy shit i haven't literally laughed out loud to South Park that much in years. weed being a 'cure-all', 'Covid-related' deaths...the police and their insane military arsenal. shooting Token!! 😲🤣🤣🤣 ahahaaaaa Cartman's fondness for the 'new normal'...and president Giant Douche (or is he Turd Sandwich??) not giving a shit about anything and laying the flamethrower to the feelgood moment at the end...my god that was a thing of beauty. i mean, i've always watched SP and i get it...but that episode was 10/10! i'm still giggling... 🤣

3 minutes ago, landman said:

If they are rich as fuck, then they keep lower taxes with him in office.  So they have that to gain/maintain. 

I can't stand the man, but I will say his tax cuts helped me quite a bit and I'm no where close to rich.  

Good for you, as a lawyer I got hammered.

Whenever Trump flubs these should've been denunciations of white supremacy  and other alt-right bullshit, I think back to this incident.  Is there any way in the world anyone could possibly misinterpret Bernie's feelings about Nazis after watching this clip?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, landman said:

I guess I should rephrase that part. I can't understand what they gain from a Trump presidency that they wouldn't also gain from, say, a Mitt Romney or even Ted Cruz presidency, with those latter options also offering significantly more domestic and foreign policy stability. Stability seems like it should be very important to high net worth people, at least the ones that don't quite have "fuck you" money to renounce their citizenship and move to Monaco. Yet there's never a hint of admittance that Trump himself is problematic. It's never "I'm sure glad he lowered our taxes, but....". He's literally infallible.

I naively expected that some Republicans might turn on Trump during impeachment for basically that reason. That would have resulted in a Mike Pence presidency and a Pence candidacy (or real primary?) in 2020. How would policy, Supreme Court noms, etc have changed at all in that scenario?

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I guess I should rephrase that part. I can't understand what they gain from a Trump presidency that they wouldn't also gain from, say, a Mitt Romney or even Ted Cruz presidency, with those latter options also offering significantly more domestic and foreign policy stability. Stability seems like it should be very important to high net worth people, at least the ones that don't quite have "fuck you" money to renounce their citizenship and move to Monaco. Yet there's never a hint of admittance that Trump himself is problematic. It's never "I'm sure glad he lowered our taxes, but....". He's literally infallible.

I naively expected that some Republicans might turn on Trump during impeachment for basically that reason. That would have resulted in a Mike Pence presidency and a Pence candidacy (or real primary?) in 2020. How would policy, Supreme Court noms, etc have changed at all in that scenario?

They gain electability.  A candidate who just stands for old-school conservative ideas can't win.....not without the support of the foaming-at-the-mouth "gotta hate the libs and crush the mexicans etc." demographic.  So, for the GOP to win elections, they need candidates who appeal to that base.  So, Romney is never going to win.

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

He said "I ended a regulation [bringing public housing, low income housing] into the suburbs. Let's just get this straight, 30 percent of the people are low income people, 30% of the people are minorities. So we are ruining this American dream for everybody. So he has this plan, the worst thing you've ever seen, having to do with zoning, they zone you out, they build low income housing next to your house"

Low income people = minorities = low income housing = bad for the suburbs. I agree it is muddled,  but ultimately what he wants to do is kick that 30% out. 

I think it’s classist more than anything. He thinks he’s appealing to the 30% that are moving up by sealing off the burbs behind them. He really doesn’t understand why they would be against that because they are getting theirs. Getting his is all that matters to him and he cannot comprehend that everyone doesn’t look at the world that way

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Trumps tax cuts helped me out a little bit financially, but I’ll gladly pay more to keep Trump from destroying everything else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Is he setting the stage to refuse to do any more debates? That would be a fantastic outcome on a number of levels. 

That looks to be the direction we're heading.

And honestly, why shouldn't we just have a town hall with Joe Biden.  It's ever more apparent by the day that Joe Biden is going to be the president in four months.  Let's hear what he has to say about how he's going to handle the clusterfuck that faces this country.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

And honestly, why shouldn't we just have a town hall with Joe Biden.  It's ever more apparent by the day that Joe Biden is going to be the president in four months.  Let's hear what he has to say about how he's going to handle the clusterfuck that faces this country.

Assuming that Trump quits the debates, I can't imagine the debate commission just handing over 90 minutes of coverage to Biden uninterrupted.  I don't know the rules here, or if this air time is already paid for or donated by the networks or whatever.  But, with Biden's cash advantage, he could buy air time down the road if he wanted.

I don't follow all the East Coast papers, and I'm fixing to walk out the door, but is this story legit? It's from the Inquirer:

Questions surrounding security at the East Falls warehouse used to store Philadelphia’s voting machines continued to mount Thursday, a day after city officials acknowledged that a laptop and USB sticks used to program the machines had been stolen earlier this week.

A lack of surveillance footage from inside the warehouse that might have helped them track down the thief has stymied investigators — no cameras had been installed, according to sources familiar with the matter who were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Meanwhile, the sources said, an ongoing review of the machines stored there to ensure none had been compromised turned up more than a dozen with wrong serial numbers on their seals — though elections officials blamed the discrepancies on a transcription error and said they do not believe the machines had been tampered with.

More here:https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia-election-voting-machines-theft-integrity-trump-city-commissioners-20201001.html

If you go to the link, staffers are concerned it's another dodge that the Trump campaign is going to pick up and use in their ongoing battle to sow distrust, but I'd imagine this is going to get coordinated across the US if it isn't already as states roll out their voting. This year is so shitty. Just let people vote.

18 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Assuming that Trump quits the debates, I can't imagine the debate commission just handing over 90 minutes of coverage to Biden uninterrupted.  I don't know the rules here, or if this air time is already paid for or donated by the networks or whatever.  But, with Biden's cash advantage, he could buy air time down the road if he wanted.

That's the policy. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

And honestly, why shouldn't we just have a town hall with Joe Biden and without Trump interrupting and talking over everyone blathering nonsense and insults.  It's ever more apparent by the day that Joe Biden is going to be the president in four months.  Let's hear what he has to say about how he's going to handle the clusterfuck that faces this country.

16 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

This fucking guy telling him to prove it then getting mad that he is being called a liar when he is pressed on the details. Fucking partisan hack got hounded to prove it and basically called himself a liar. 

Wow, a host worth a shit. That's what the rest of them should be doing too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

i would suggest having Biden use that 90 minutes to show us how he washes his Trans Am.

The Internet Comes Together to Buy Joe Biden a Trans Am

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Trumps tax cuts helped me out a little bit financially, but I’ll gladly pay more to keep Trump from destroying everything else.

Short term gains for some. Long term pain for most.

Nevertheless, instability and corruption have real costs. Small businesses, farms, and healthcare are industries that have been decimated by Trump, even before the pandemic.

Since Obama helped us out of the recession, the trade war and government shutdowns (all GOP) have been the only roadblocks to continued prosperity and the beginnings of a rising wages. All self-inflicted errors.
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Womp womp.  

Fucking snowflake.  You know who actually has a right to take this shit personally?  Blacks, women, Muslims, Jews, Hispanics.  All the people who trump has threatened and shat upon.

Right on.

Also, I was a leeeetle creeped out by how intimately he was describing feeling like he was screwed by Trump. TMI dude.

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

unhinged lunatic

Isn't it amazing that every other President, even Obama whom he hates, has managed to have an election go off without a hitch, relatively speaking, and here we are five weeks out and his administration can't seem to do it?  In any case, it just feels like more and more people are tuning him out.