Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

8 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I didn’t buy a great deal of their products, but I did stop after I saw that press conference. Unanue was within his rights to be an opportunist and get up there and say nice things in order to curry favor with the head moron in charge. He obviously did not care about any negative reaction to what he did though.

8 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Fuck Goya. I used to buy their shit all the time. Fuck them.

I used to buy goya all the time, figured why not, they're a latino brand and make products I use daily. Haven't bought a single item since that idiot ceo went racist supporter. fuck them for life unless they issue an apology and recognition of their mistakes. I constantly remind my friends and family to not buy them either. fuck them forever.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, achooloco said:

I used to buy goya all the time, figured why not, they're a latino brand and make products I use daily. Haven't bought a single item since that idiot ceo went racist supporter. fuck them for life unless they issue an apology and recognition of their mistakes. I constantly remind my friends and family to not buy them either. fuck them forever.

You can apologize for business reasons and still be a piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

Gee, who could have seen this coming.  A Trump enterprise not being able to pay its bills, and stiffing creditors. 

Turns out, the campaign is so desperate for cash it is attempting to collect settlements in legal disputes because it needs the money to fund other lawsuits that are in danger of being dismissed.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/20/trumps-case-omarosa-problem-unpaid-legal-bills-430237

Donald Trump’s campaign wants Omarosa Manigault Newman to pay up for penning an incriminating tell-all book about the president in 2018. But it’s the Trump campaign that hasn’t paid its bills.

The delinquent $52,000 payment — revealed in a previously unreported letter dated Oct. 14 and obtained by POLITICO — is just one example of how the Trump campaign is handling the flurry of legal actions it has taken to both protect the president and attack his enemies in the final weeks of the campaign.

In some instances, the campaign is pressing ahead. In others, it has let the cases go dormant. The through line, however, is that the campaign has started a lot of fights in court, yet is not close to resolving them with just two weeks left until Election Day.

In the action against Manigault Newman, the campaign may simply let the case dissolve. In 2018, the Trump campaign filed an arbitration case against the former West Wing aide over her book, which rocked the White House with stories of Trump using lewd, sexist and racist language. At one point, Trump’s attorneys suggested Newman pay for a nearly $1 million ad campaign “to counteract the long-term adverse effects” of her remarks.

Yet the campaign has thus far stiffed the arbitrator assigned to mediate the case, according to a letter sent to the parties in the case. If Trump’s attorneys don’t pay the outstanding bill by next week, the case could be tossed out.

The dispute over Manigault Newman’s book is far from the only legal thread left dangling for the Trump campaign.

Spoiler

The campaign is helping fight accusations Trump harassed and sexually assaulted women. It’s helping keep documents about his business deals hidden. Other cases are proactive, such as attempts to enforce nondisclosure agreements and to punish media companies the campaign accuses of defamation. And it is responding to lawsuits from people who say they were assaulted at Trump events, including one from a Missouri man who claimed he was arrested after laughing at a MAGA rally. 

Taken together, the cases reflect the legal morass the Trump campaign will face, win or lose, after Nov. 3.

“Even if he loses the election, very little actually ends once Trump leaves the White House in January 2021,” said Bradley Moss, a Washington lawyer whose firm represented former White House aide Cliff Sims, who was the target of a Trump campaign suit for violating a nondisclosure agreement when he published his own White House memoir. 

“Litigation Trump has personally brought under his own name or through the campaign, whether it be protecting his tax returns or suing Omarosa, will continue for however long there is money to pay the lawyers,” Moss added.

The Trump campaign and its attorney, Charles Harder, known for representing wrestler Hulk Hogan in his sex tape lawsuit against Gawker, did not respond to questions about the Manigault Newman case and the unpaid bill.

It’s not the first time Trump, a businessman with a global real estate footprint, and his campaign have faced accusations that they didn’t pay the bills. 

Private contractors, bartenders, painters, real estate brokers and others have all claimed that Trump didn’t adequately compensate them for their work before he was sworn into office. More recently, Trump has been accused of failing to pay local officials who provide thousands of dollars’ in security assistance to the president’s campaign during rallies.

The Trump campaign’s financial outlook is also faltering in the election’s final weeks. Trump has fallen behind Biden on fundraising. In August, Democrats for the first time outraised Republicans by a staggering $154 million, eroding the president’s longstanding cash-on-hand advantage. The pattern repeated itself in September, when Biden raised $383 million to Trump’s $247.8 million.

The Manigault Newman standoff stretches back to 2018, when the Trump campaign initially filed its arbitration case, considered a cheaper and quicker alternative to a lawsuit when attempting to resolve a dispute, according to attorneys. But in the Oct. 14 letter, the American Arbitration Association said the campaign had yet to pay its $51,940 deposit, a required upfront payment to cover the arbitrator’s costs.

“Note that if the matter of unpaid deposits is not resolved by October 29, 2020, the arbitrator will be asked to determine whether this proceeding should be suspended,” the letter states.

John Phillips, a lawyer who represents Manigault Newman, confirmed Monday that he received a copy of the letter, which suggests Manigault Newman could pay the costs to the association if she wanted to keep the case active. 

“The Trump campaign has refused to show damages with any particularity until recently saying they want Omarosa Manigault Newman to pay for campaign ads, which directly seems to violate many election laws,” he said in a statement. “Now the campaign is causing more legal expenses and time spent because they won’t pay their bills for their arbitration. We privately and publicly ask they dismiss these frivolous claims and pay our client’s legal fees.”

Manigault Newman left the White House in December 2017 after a short, tumultuous tenure in which she served as the administration’s highest-profile liaison to the African American community. The White House said Manigault Newman was fired, but she claims to have resigned.

After leaving the administration, Manigault Newman said she refused to sign the White House’s nondisclosure agreement. She did acknowledge signing one for Trump’s 2016 campaign and another in 2003 when she was on Trump’s reality TV show, "The Apprentice."

Those NDAs have been described as more restrictive than the White House agreement. A copy of a Trump campaign NDA previously obtained by POLITICO included a nondisparagement clause that prohibited staffers from releasing confidential or detrimental information about Trump, his business or his family members.

It’s unclear whether the Trump campaign has previously paid any money to the arbitrator in the Manigault Newman case. According to Federal Election Commission records, the Trump campaign did pay the American Arbitration Association $43,400 in 2019, but the record does not specify whether that amount is part of the outstanding fee or even part of the Manigault Newman case. In its September FEC filing, the campaign did not list any debts to the arbitrator association. The association declined to comment, saying its cases are confidential.

Already, the Trump campaign has spent millions of dollars on completed legal work, including helping defend Trump against allegations he worked with Russia to interfere in the 2016 election and on his impeachment trial, during which he was accused of pressuring Ukraine’s president to investigate Biden and his son, Hunter.

The campaign has also teamed up with the Republican National Committee on more than 40 lawsuits challenging voting rules in states across the country. An RNC official said the official Republican Party is not involved in any non-voting cases. 

“We anticipate most of these will be moot after the election, although a few may not be, and we will continue to litigate as necessary,” the official said.

Separately, the campaign faces an ongoing federal investigation into whether it violated campaign finance laws in 2016 when it paid hush money to women alleging affairs with Trump.

“They’re not going to be shutting down in two, six, eight months,” said Joe Birkenstock, who previously served as chief counsel of the Democratic National Committee, of the Trump campaign. “Think of it in terms of years.”

Edited by Francisco 2.0

Yeah, I don't know what's gonna be more satisfying:

A) Trump's electoral defeat

B) Trump leaving office on 20 January at 11:59a-EST

C) Trump's extradition from Florida to New York 

D) Trump declaring bankruptcy one last time

E) Trump's death

F) Trump's coffin lying in state in the Rotunda attended by no one of import

They have a Rotunda.  They have a vestibule, too.  A vestibule and a rotunda.  Vestibule might be good for you.  natural springs, ya know?  

Edited by Lobo

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I think we are about to find out what happens when 62 million people simultaneously and very suddenly have their entire reality shattered.

Good news is I think 1/3rd of those folks were just vanilla, straight-ticket chamber-of-commerce GOP voters.  I think a 1/3rd were anti-Hillary, it's the other 1/3rd that we need to worry about.  

I took in about 5 minutes of the Trump conversation on Fox this morning.  After declaring Biden is a criminal and has done two of the worst crimes ever they then asked him about the state polls for the election.  He had some interesting comments.  He said he is up big in FL and up big in NC.  He said PA was tied and they just had a ruling that was ridiculous to allow them to count the votes after the election and I think he said that the PA ruling would be sent to the Supreme Court.  They then asked about New York and he said he thinks he can win it maybe.  He also said the same about California in that he just had a big rally in CA with 30-40K people and the police said they have never seen anything like it.  He sounds totally sane to me.

20 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Wear your stall-mucking boots, gonna be quite wet around that super-sized gold spray-painted coffin in whatever Rotunda pays the highest appearance fee.

The mortician fees can be negotiated down by that all-brilliant/business-savvy Trump family.  His face is already painted up like a dead body.  So that should at least cut the costs by 20%

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I took in about 5 minutes of the Trump conversation on Fox this morning.  After declaring Biden is a criminal and has done two of the worst crimes ever they then asked him about the state polls for the election.  He had some interesting comments.  He said he is up big in FL and up big in NC.  He said PA was tied and they just had a ruling that was ridiculous to allow them to count the votes after the election and I think he said that the PA ruling would be sent to the Supreme Court.  They then asked about New York and he said he thinks he can win it maybe.  He also said the same about California in that he just had a big rally in CA with 30-40K people and the police said they have never seen anything like it.  He sounds totally sane to me.

He's a very stable genius. Said so himself. 

5 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Trump going down in a blaze and he’s suing everybody. 

Why you wanna sue me?  

For punitive damages...that you're giving me! 

Sue me?

And the people...that you work with and handle; I'll probably be suing them too, right?  

22 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

In a state of 40 million, we have our dumbshits here too. Let’s see if the California strategy pays off.

I do like the fact that he judges everything by what he can see: rally attendance! boat parades! TV ratings! It’s like when my 3 year old covers her eyes and since she can’t see you, you are no longer there. Except my 3 year old probably has a better grasp of the fact that things actually exist out of her line of sight.

Edited by Left Coast
  • Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

He also said the same about California in that he just had a big rally in CA with 30-40K people and the police said they have never seen anything like it. 

I'm sure 538 is changing California to Lean R now.  This man does not live in reality.

8 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

In a state of 40 million, we have our dumbshits here too. Let’s see if the California strategy pays off.

I do like the fact that he judges everything by what he can see: rally attendance! boat parades! TV ratings! It’s like when my 3 year old covers her eyes and since she can’t see you, you are no longer there. Except my 3 year old probably has a better grasp of the fact that things actually exist out of her line of sight.

Trumpject Permanence?  

(FWIW---can't remember his name, but an absolutely brilliant UT political professor rolled out incredibly detailed meta-data for the day (this woulda been 1997 or so)...broke it down beyond reproach.  I know everybody played coulda-shoulda-woulda on the '92 election with Perot...but he broke it out by county and Congressional District in California specifically...Bush would have won California in 1992 (he carried it relatively comfortably in 1988, almost 4 full points when you take out Ron Paul), if not for Perot.  It's weird to think about that...but California has only been that red since I was in high school.  Yeah, I'm not aging well...but that wasn't that long ago.  California won't tilt red again for POTUS in my lifetime, but they have had a recent GOP governor.  Especially since their center-right residents are leaving the state in hordes.)  /csb

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

.....Mike Murphy, a veteran Republican consultant who advised John McCain and Jeb Bush and is an outspoken Trump critic. “You could literally have 10 monkeys with flamethrowers go after the money, and they wouldn’t have burned through it as stupidly.”

Bwhahahahaha!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Does everyone have their appointments made to get their covid vaccines sometime in the next two weeks? Because the election is in two weeks, and I seem to remember someone talking about having a vaccine ready prior to the election.

Trick question.

On November 4th it all goes away, idiot.

Why would you need a vaccine for a hoax?

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Trumpject Permanence?  

(FWIW---can't remember his name, but an absolutely brilliant UT political professor rolled out incredibly detailed meta-data for the day (this woulda been 1997 or so)...broke it down beyond reproach.  I know everybody played coulda-shoulda-woulda on the '92 election with Perot...but he broke it out by county and Congressional District in California specifically...Bush would have won California in 1992 (he carried it relatively comfortably in 1988, almost 4 full points when you take out Ron Paul), if not for Perot.  It's weird to think about that...but California has only been that red since I was in high school.  Yeah, I'm not aging well...but that wasn't that long ago.  California won't tilt red again for POTUS in my lifetime, but they have had a recent GOP governor.  Especially since their center-right residents are leaving the state in hordes.)  /csb

Pete Wilson's anti-immigrant prop 187 killed off the GOP's prospects in California.

Speaking of the GOP, here's the former RNC chairman's thoughts on Trump.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1