Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-kills-people-an-average-of-a-decade-before-their-time-11588424401

WSJ article$

People dying of Covid-19 could have expected to live on average for at least another decade, according to two studies that help fill in the developing picture of the human cost of the coronavirus pandemic.
The findings show the virus isn’t just carrying off the elderly or infirm a few months before their time.

“Some people think that these people dying would have died this year anyway,” said Andrew Briggs, a professor of health economics at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine who led one of the studies. “That’s simply not the case.”

No shit. Even at 80 the average life expectancy is nine and seven years for women and men, respectively. The "well a bunch of these people were going to die later this year anyway" has always been a massive stretch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Guest Lobo
8 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Great idea boys!  the simulation now apparently wants to fuck us over whilst at sea.  Anybody insane enough to go on a cruise ship in the next 12 months?  

Why not name the boat the CoronaNation?  Or Coronation for the Disney Princess Cruise version?  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Great idea boys!  the simulation now apparently wants to fuck us over whilst at sea.  Anybody insane enough to go on a cruise ship in the next 12 months?  

Why not name the boat the CoronaNation?  Or Coronation for the Disney Princess Cruise version?  

I'm one of the few on here that will admit to enjoying cruises.  Our June 22 cruise was cancelled.  That said, I think I will wait a year before thinking about another one.

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

I'm sure they're enjoyable and I love the sea.  I'm all for the private sector making their own decisions if they are responsible for public health.  But this one just seems completely unnecessary.  We're all getting antsy right now but Carnival's gambit is "For those getting Cabin Fever at home right now, join us in a 12x12 Cabin aboard one of our ships."  It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.  

in russia, if covid doesn't kill you, your coworkers will.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/05/04/third-russian-doctor-falls-from-hospital-window-after-coronavirus-complaint-a70176

A paramedic who complained about being forced to work despite contracting coronavirus is in critical condition after he fell from a hospital window in western Russia this weekend, local media reported.

This is at least the third incident in which a Russian healthcare professional has plunged from a hospital building under mysterious circumstances in the past two weeks. The two previous doctors have died from their injuries.

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'll go. I expect a more low risk group of cruisers for awhile, and to be honest am still more concerned with getting norovirus on a cruise than coronavirus.

I just a likely to get it around here as I am on a tropical island/cruise. Plus August is still months away.. can always delay as time gets near as I don't expect cruise lines to take away your cancel anytime ability for awhile.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I'm one of the few on here that will admit to enjoying cruises.  Our June 22 cruise was cancelled.  That said, I think I will wait a year before thinking about another one.

We've been all over the world on all types of vacations, been on 3 cruises, and had a blast on each one.  No car, laid back times, different port every day, lounging on the ship during sea days, pretty good food, unlimited drinking cards.  You have to pick the right ships/lines.

• Like 1

No shit. Even at 80 the average life expectancy is nine and seven years for women and men, respectively. The "well a bunch of these people were going to die later this year anyway" has always been a massive stretch

Dude none of us know shit about people we don’t know or never would know. Of course people died earlier than they were supposed to and it sucks. What’s the recovery % of people over 70? Do we ever read encouraging stats like that or isn’t that eye grabbing enough for an article? We see the occasional feel good 100 year old beating it, and Spanish flu.

What do we get for news about death? Most deaths are from long term care facilities or people with underlying issues. A quick google search gives a life expectancy of about a year after one checks in to long care. And I’m thinking it’s those needing 24/7 care vs a nursing home with some assisted living but without the care. My grandpa died in one of the 24/7 care places a year ago. He lasted about 15 months after assisted living could no longer provide the care for him and he needed more.
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, dcbc said:

Wife and I took a little driving tour of some of the local boat ramps and lake recreation areas.  We've put a moratorium on taking the boat out at this point, but just trying to gauge how busy the lake is.  At one of the more popular spots, it was pretty uncomfortable for us to watch a complete disregard of any safety measures whatsoever. 

This was one of the more tame gatherings, and still zero distancing.

I know the picture looks like a redneck Monet, but we were keeping our distance.

CA1k-94fb-Attkba-PZO4-WFt-Dql-Zdnul7oh-k

i've been thinking of title for this.  It deserves something fraunch-ish

"étang du texas à la bière trente"

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

in russia, if covid doesn't kill you, your coworkers will.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/05/04/third-russian-doctor-falls-from-hospital-window-after-coronavirus-complaint-a70176

A paramedic who complained about being forced to work despite contracting coronavirus is in critical condition after he fell from a hospital window in western Russia this weekend, local media reported.

This is at least the third incident in which a Russian healthcare professional has plunged from a hospital building under mysterious circumstances in the past two weeks. The two previous doctors have died from their injuries.

Russian windows seem really dangerous.

32 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

We've been all over the world on all types of vacations, been on 3 cruises, and had a blast on each one.  No car, laid back times, different port every day, lounging on the ship during sea days, pretty good food, unlimited drinking cards.  You have to pick the right ships/lines.

Username checks out

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm sure they're enjoyable and I love the sea.  I'm all for the private sector making their own decisions if they are responsible for public health.  But this one just seems completely unnecessary.  We're all getting antsy right now but Carnival's gambit is "For those getting Cabin Fever at home right now, join us in a 12x12 Cabin aboard one of our ships."  It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.  

What scares me as well is the economic impact to destination sites.  These cruises infuse billions into local markets.  That dries up, so too do their economies.  What happens to Jamaica?  Belize?  Etc.  They'll crater without outside tourism dollars.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

What scares me as well is the economic impact to destination sites.  These cruises infuse billions into local markets.  That dries up, so too do their economies.  What happens to Jamaica?  Belize?  Etc.  They'll crater without outside tourism dollars.  

And as they collapse, they'll have to come up with new revenue streams.  Whoda thunk that we'd see Caribbean piracy make a comeback?  Disney's gonna have to update their ride...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Reading comprehension is your friend. I said “if the Oregon governor had her way that we could talk about opening up after we go 10 days without a death...” 

so seriously. Give me a metric that isn’t- when we have enough testing in place. Or when we feel comfortable that the health care system is ok. Because that is subject to change at any point in time on a whim. 

It's weird I haven't even heard or seen that till you mentioned it. I'm glad I'm working, cause I might get a cheap house at this rate as people will be too poor to afford anything.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/triumph-foods-outbreak-missouri/index.html

Seems like we are starting to get a lot of stories like this...

(CNN)373 employees and contract workers at Triumph Foods in Buchanan County, Missouri, have tested positive for coronavirus. All of them were asymptomatic, according to a press release from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.

• Like 1

$50B in domestic revenue via wages/salaries to 1.2M people employed with the cruise lines

$150B in global economic impact infused to various markets

Massive economic blow.

On the Green side, it was reported that the combined carbon output of the cruise lines (global) have a larger detriment in terms of emissions than the entire worlds automobiles combined.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In Russia, you’re more likely to die from being struck by a man falling out of a window than lightning. 

The two or three videos I've seen it's been women who jumped.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

There is a testing problem. 373 employees test positive and all 373 were asymptomatic. That is highly unlikely.

I imagine if any of the employees had symptoms in the previous weeks, they were already out.  This was testing the 1500+ that were continuing to work because they were "healthy."

Guest Lobo
10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

On the Green side, it was reported that the combined carbon output of the cruise lines (global) have a larger detriment in terms of emissions than the entire worlds automobiles combined.  

Prius was gonna launch a hybrid cruise ship that was carbon neutral, but it sank under the weight of its own self-righteousness. 

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

$50B in domestic revenue via wages/salaries to 1.2M people employed with the cruise lines

Massive economic blow.

I’m sorry for the employees and how this has negatively affected them

but fuck the cruise industry. They all avoid taxes by being based out of Angola or some shit. They can rot 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Stop with this nonsense. We are only allowed to care about our funsies and 401ks. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

SIAP but what happened and what was the reasoning behind the significant adjustment to the CDC US deaths number? Looked like a decrease by almost 30K.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Huge drop.  Every model has been revising down since the inception.  Reconciled with much more expansive testing, the mortality rates are plummeting.

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And as they collapse, they'll have to come up with new revenue streams.  Whoda thunk that we'd see Caribbean piracy make a comeback?  Disney's gonna have to update their ride...

We've got lots of old destroyers in dry dock.  We should start a cruise line.  

1) Reformat destroyers into part luxury, par warship

2) Sail the high seas and get folks drunk on rotgut rum, fat on chow

3) Offer the 'pirate's experience' to wannabe hero cops

4)????

5) Profit  

• Like 1

I bet every body of water in the state is packed. Galveston is having a mini spring break, thousands are here. Many weren't happy with the park's and whatnot where they live, so they drove hours to be here. Good for business,  kind of, reports are that the Strand is lackluster. 
What's the saying down there? They come from Houston with a $100 bill and a t-shirt and don't change either.
  • Like 1

The CDC revision is interesting. IMHE has about 65,000 to date estimated. 

And CDC is 37,000 with huge drop off in weekly deaths? Kind of a big spread there Bob. Haven't really dug into this but if this pattern holds its kind of a big deal, no?

• Like 1

Just now, bullzak said:

And CDC is 37,000 with huge drop off in weekly deaths? Kind of a big spread there Bob. Haven't really dug into this but if this pattern holds its kind of a big deal, no?

The bigliest.  As stated, combined with more robust testing, we are going to see mortality rates drop significantly   

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

These people are morons but the photo angles make the people and vehicles appear closer than they are. In the second photo, middle left, the white F150 and white explorer are at least 40-50 feet apart.

regardless people seem to trust their friends and family to not have covid 19 when their beach behavior indicates they’re generally bad at social distancing. Worst people you can be around.

You mean there are some photographers out there looking to take pictures that present a view that is distorted in order to fit a particular narrative?  There is a lot of legitimate concern with Corona but it’s pretty clear the media, in general, is happy to manipulate data/photos to get their target markets all fired up.  I think everyone is complicit in this fuckery.   We see what we want to see. 

Edited by stork642
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'll go. I expect a more low risk group of cruisers for awhile, and to be honest am still more concerned with getting norovirus on a cruise than coronavirus.

I just a likely to get it around here as I am on a tropical island/cruise. Plus August is still months away.. can always delay as time gets near as I don't expect cruise lines to take away your cancel anytime ability for awhile.

Uh, I'm gonna call bullshit on the people booking cruises being low risk.   Those boats will be full of old people and fat fucking wildebeest families that want to drink to excess and gorge on shitty Luby's quality food. 

I'd be shocked if those boats arent floating incubators of death and destruction.  The 10-14 day ones will see it in real time.  The 4-5 day ones will just spread it out and send it back to Topeka, Waco and Springfield where the mouth breathing knuckle draggers will end up sick and dying but by God, it was there inalienable right to do what they please.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

SIAP but what happened and what was the reasoning behind the significant adjustment to the CDC US deaths number? Looked like a decrease by almost 30K.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

54 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Huge drop.  Every model has been revising down since the inception.  Reconciled with much more expansive testing, the mortality rates are plummeting.

31 minutes ago, bullzak said:

30 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The bigliest.  As stated, combined with more robust testing, we are going to see mortality rates drop significantly   

Guys, it is not a revision. You're just looking at estimates from different systems in the federal government with different lag times. Here is the Covid tracking from the main tracking site showing >65,000 deaths. Notably, it is updated as of May 3rd as opposed to May 1 the other link. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

The other link (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm) is data specific to the National Vital Statistics System. I believe this is the same data used in the FluView system, and it is not as up-to-date as the other tracking. From the link:

The provisional counts for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) deaths are based on a current flow of mortality data in the National Vital Statistics System. National provisional counts include deaths occurring within the 50 states and the District of Columbia that have been received and coded as of the date specified. It is important to note that it can take several weeks for death records to be submitted to National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), processed, coded, and tabulated. Therefore, the data shown on this page may be incomplete, and will likely not include all deaths that occurred during a given time period, especially for the more recent time periods. Death counts for earlier weeks are continually revised and may increase or decrease as new and updated death certificate data are received from the states by NCHS. COVID-19 death counts shown here may differ from other published sources, as data currently are lagged by an average of 1–2 weeks.

*Data during this period are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction, age, and cause of death.

I put some important bits in bold. You can see this isn't as up-to-date because it goes from 10,000 deaths on the week ending on 18th to 3,000 deaths on the week ending on the 25th. Basically, the prior CDC numbers are more real-time reporting, while the smaller CDC number lags by quite a bit because it requires more robust records to be submitted to the system and reviewed by the National Center for Health Statistics. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

It's weird I haven't even heard or seen that till you mentioned it. I'm glad I'm working, cause I might get a cheap house at this rate as people will be too poor to afford anything.

Shitfucksonof a bitch.  Wrote a bunch and then it got deleted twice when I tried to edit the other post- which makes me suck at the internets even more.

I heard this on Everyone Gets a Trophy.  When I googled it the appearance is that this was something she was saying in the first part of April.  By mid April she was backing off of this- but still refusing to give any metric as to when the state would be ready to open.  Now, in early May, she extended out the Stay at home until July 6.

Yall gonna be the last folks back to work/back to normal.  I assume she's abiding by the will of her electorate, so if you don't like it you can deal with it or vote with your feet. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Since it’s a pay site, what % is “some” according to Andrew?

Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that of the 37,000 who died in the U.S. with Covid-19 between Feb. 1 and April 25, 31% were over 85. But 40%, or 14,600 people, were between 45 and 75 years old, and could have expected to live many more years. Total deaths linked to the virus in the U.S. passed 64,000 on Friday.

Most of the responses to the article stated this was BS

I understand actuarial science, in general, but I am skeptical of a metric that says someone 50-59 with severe health problems will live an average of 21+ year more--which is only 6 years less than an average person. This is a characterization of "severe" that is unfamiliar to me.

Edited by BevoSwag
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
17 hours ago, Dewey said:
I bet every body of water in the state is packed. Galveston is having a mini spring break

What's the saying down there? They come from Houston with a $100 bill and a t-shirt and don't change either.

Apparently some of San Antonio's classiest come down, too.  That one's crabbing:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.2215805,-94.9046021,3a,63.3y,157.08h,74.08t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPkOdeBeRmgNle4ZJH3rGTi4NilYM9I9RQclj4W!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPkOdeBeRmgNle4ZJH3rGTi4NilYM9I9RQclj4W%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya28.73708-ro-0-fo100!7i6656!8i3328

Edited by clapclapclap

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Massive economic blow.

I'm not saying that's not true- but that is incredibly hard for me to fathom. I'd love to see that study if you had it b/c that's absolutely wild. 

• Like 1

Uh, I'm gonna call bullshit on the people booking cruises being low risk.   Those boats will be full of old people and fat fucking wildebeest families that want to drink to excess and gorge on shitty Luby's quality food. 
I'd be shocked if those boats arent floating incubators of death and destruction.  The 10-14 day ones will see it in real time.  The 4-5 day ones will just spread it out and send it back to Topeka, Waco and Springfield where the mouth breathing knuckle draggers will end up sick and dying but by God, it was there inalienable right to do what they please.

So in other words, it will kill a bunch of people that half of this board would prefer die anyway? So, why do y’all care?
  • Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away