CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

We shall see.  The WSJ and NYTimes did not make any distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated in their reporting (though Reuters did).

My opinion aligns with @Mo Horn.  Those who choose to remain unvaccinated, fuck them.  They are selfish cunts.

cocksuckers are costing me time with my family. a time i have no clue when i will get, or if i will even get it. and it really fucking pisses me off. i can't come into conversation in the wild anymore with anyone who isn't vaccinated. i just tell them to get it and then i leave. i don't trust myself to remain calm and/or just not carpet bomb a motherfucker in public (and get video tapped or some shit that I don't want)

Edited by staboner
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m pretty sure George Washington required his army to get inoculated against smallpox and every fucking city in colonial times and the early United States had mandatory quarantines for contagion 

Ben Franklin had been one of the original antivaxer media personalities, back in the infancy of vaccines and newspapers.  Back then, vaccines consisted of drawing a string through a pustule of a small pox victim, letting the string dry, and then inserting the string in a cut made on the person being inoculated.  It was new, and really counterintuitive, so he and his brother railed against it in their newspaper.  

This is what Ben had to say about the experience in his autobiography:

In 1736 I lost one of my sons, a fine boy of four years old, by the smallpox taken in the common way. I long regretted bitterly and still regret that I had not given it to him by inoculation. This I mention for the sake of the parents who omit that operation, on the supposition that they should never forgive themselves if a child died under it; my example showing that the regret may be the same either way, and that, therefore, the safer should be chosen.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, staboner said:

cocksuckers are costing me time with my family. a time i have no clue when i will get, or if i will even get it. and it really fucking pisses me off. i can't come into conversation in the wild anymore with anyone who isn't vaccinated. i just tell them to get it and then i leave. i don't trust myself to remain calm and/or just not carpet bomb a motherfucker in public (and get video tapped or some shit that I don't want)

Really?

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Im sorry, WHAT?

In an interview, Wagshul said the science behind Ivermectin’s use in COVID-19 patients is “irrefutable.” The CDC and FDA engaged in a “conspiracy,” he said, to block its use to protect the FDA’s emergency use authorization for COVID-19 vaccines. He said the mainstream media and social media companies have been engaging in “censorship” on Ivermectin’s merits, and that the U.S. government’s refusal to acknowledge its benefits amounts to genocide.

• Rage+1 5

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Im sorry, WHAT?

Julie Smith found Ivermectin on her own and connected with Dr. Fred Wagshul, an Ohio physician who her lawsuit identifies as “one of the foremost experts on using Ivermectin in treating COVID-19.” He prescribed the drug, and the hospital refused to administer it.

So if Dr. Quack lacks privileges at the hospital where the patient is currently being cared for, how or why would him prescribing ivermectin have any binding effect on that same hospital? The medical staff at the admitting facility are responsible for the patient, but their professional medical opinions regarding the standard of care can simply be disregarded by a judge who is swayed by some kook who isn't even on staff? Lovely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Player said:

So if Dr. Quack lacks privileges at the hospital where the patient is currently being cared for, how or why would him prescribing ivermectin have any binding effect on that same hospital? The medical staff at the admitting facility are responsible for the patient, but their professional medical opinions regarding the standard of care can simply be disregarded by a judge who is swayed by some kook who isn't even on staff? Lovely. 

Yeah, this seems all kinds of fucked up. 

Oh, one other salient detail from that story: 

He tested positive for COVID-19 July 9, was hospitalized and admitted to the ICU July 15, and was sedated and intubated and placed on a ventilator Aug. 1. He later developed a secondary infection he’s still wrestling with as of Aug. 23, court records say.

Dude has been taking up an ICU bed for 6 weeks and counting, and has been on a vent for a month. I hope the hospital offers to give him the horse paste on the condition that he vacate the ICU. 

50 minutes ago, Player said:

The judge didn't do anything to explain his ruling:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21051019-j-smith-judgement-order

22 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I like taking long road trips. I love tuning into local radio as I pass through areas. Sometimes it's an incredibly small time talk show. Sometimes it's different music.

In the past 6 or 7 years I've driven from Texas to New England three or four times and had the exact experience described above. Local rural programming is dominated with Gawd and radical right politics.  Not much fun to it anymore.

Maybe West Virginia was the worst. Great, cool night drive through the mountains to Morgantown. Depressing yokel radio stirring up pride in ignorance, fear, and hate.

Yeah and that kind of crap makes Art Bell type shows seem sane.

19 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

So one of the nurses working on the surgical floor at one of the private hospitals this weekend is a traveler. She was in Arizona working Covid unit prior to coming to Texas. She said that close to 100% of her ventilator Covid patients in Arizona had pulmonary emboli. Some of them bilateral saddle emboli. Also were throwing clots to the brain with resultant strokes, kidneys with renal failure. She said their D-dimers are all off the charts. D-dimers are a sign of abnormally coagulable blood.

Her sister is an ICU nurse at a big hospital in Arkansas. Their hospital system has the only four ECMO machines in the state. Those are the machines that will oxygenate your blood and offload carbon dioxide in order to give your lungs a rest. She said her sister told her the pulmonologist and critical care docs say you have about five days on the vent before they need to switch you to ECMO to prevent permanent catastrophic lung damage. Again there are only four machines. Basically, if you are on the vent for a week, you’re going to need a lung transplant if/when you ever come off. She said basically no one comes off the vent.

And from what I read lungs aren't one of the more successful organs to transplant.  

The following hits very close to home for me:  

Why Some White Evangelical Republicans Are So Opposed To The COVID-19 Vaccine

In the race to get Americans vaccinated, two groups are commanding a lot of attention: Republicans and white evangelicals. Both are less likely to have been vaccinated already and more likely to refuse vaccination altogether.

But it’s the overlap between white Republicans and white evangelicals that is especially telling, as white evangelical Republicans are among the most likely groups in the U.S. to refuse vaccination. According to a June survey by the Public Religion Research Institute, where I’m the research director, and the Interfaith Youth Core, white evangelical Republicans were considerably less likely to say they were vaccinated or planning to get vaccinated as soon as possible (53 percent) than Republicans who were not white evangelicals (62 percent). Moreover, white evangelical Republicans were the most likely of any large subgroup we surveyed to say they were refusing to get vaccinated (26 percent).

That the combination of being a Republican and a white evangelical would form a particularly toxic anti-vax stew, more significant than party or religion alone, seems obvious to me, but then again, I grew up in rural Texas — I see this combination of beliefs in motion every day on Facebook, where I’m connected to many high school and college classmates.

According to PRRI’s 2020 religion census, the county where I lived longest as a kid (Leon) is 72 percent white Christian, including 44 percent white evangelical, and election data shows 87 percent of the county voted for former President Donald Trump in 2020. Just over one-third of the county’s eligible population is fully vaccinated, even though COVID-19 case rates are higher than they have ever been. At least three people who went to high school with me have died, while tracking statistics say at least 1 in 9 Leon County residents have been ill — almost as many as in New York City (1 in 8), one of the hardest-hit areas in the country, and well over the rate in Washington, D.C. (1 in 13), where I live now.

This is significant because Leon County is extremely rural, with less than 20,000 total residents, including less than 2,000 in Buffalo, the town I lived near. For reference, my high school has only about 260 students at any given time. If you need ICU treatment, you have to travel — there are currently no hospitals with ICUs in the county. 

But what is also significant about Leon County is the role religion has played in residents’ low vaccination rates even when faced with death from the coronavirus. When my classmates were hospitalized with COVID-19, there were repeated calls for prayers and proclamations that God would provide healing. When they died, those prayer requests became comments that “God called [them] home.”

The belief that God controls everything that happens in the world is a core tenet of evangelicalism — 84 percent of white evangelicals agreed with this statement in PRRI polling from 2011, while far fewer nonwhite, non-evangelical Christians shared this belief. The same poll also showed that white evangelicals were more likely than any other Christian group to believe that God would punish nations for the sins of some of its citizens and that natural disasters were a sign from God. What’s more, other research from the Journal of Psychology and Theology has found that some evangelical Christians rationalize illnesses like cancer as God’s will. 

This is why I remember friends and acquaintances in Leon County when I think about how religious beliefs influence one’s attitude toward COVID-19 and vaccination. PRRI’s March survey found that 28 percent of white evangelical Republicans agreed that “God always rewards those who have faith with good health and will protect them from being infected with COVID-19,” compared with 23 percent of Republicans who were not white evangelicals. And that belief correlates more closely with vaccination views among white evangelical Republicans — 44 percent of those who said God would protect them from the virus also said they would refuse to get vaccinated. That number drops to 32 percent among Republicans who are not white evangelicals.

Complicating matters further, the pandemic also fits neatly into “end times” thinking — the belief that the end of the world and God’s ultimate judgment is coming soon. In fact, nearly two-thirds of white evangelical Republicans (64 percent) from our March survey agreed that the chaos in the country today meant the “end times” were near. Faced, then, with the belief that death and the end of the world are a fulfillment of God’s will, it becomes difficult to convince these believers that vaccines are necessary. Sixty-nine percent of white evangelical Republicans who said they refused to get vaccinated agreed that the end times were near.

Moreover, given how many white evangelicals identify as Republican or lean Republican — about 4 in 5 per our June survey — disentangling evangelicals’ religious and political beliefs is nearly impossible. Consider how many white evangelical leaders like former Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. downplayed the severity of the pandemic in line with Trump. Falwell was hardly the only evangelical leader to do this either. If anything, the pattern of white evangelical resistance to vaccination has reached the point where some white evangelical leaders who might otherwise urge vaccination hesitate to do so because of the political climate. 

In the same survey, about 2 in 5 white evangelical Republicans (43 percent), and Republicans more broadly (41 percent), said one reason they hadn’t gotten vaccinated was that the COVID-19 pandemic had been overblown.

It is perhaps unsurprising, then, that most white evangelical Republicans, and Republicans in general, disagreed with our question about the Golden Rule, that “because getting vaccinated against COVID-19 helps protect everyone, it is a way to live out the religious principle of loving my neighbors” (57 percent and 58 percent, respectively). This may be because for some white evangelicals and Republicans, politics and religion are inseparable — and God’s will, or their interpretation of it, controls everything.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-some-white-evangelical-republicans-are-so-opposed-to-the-covid-19-vaccine/

The bolded part about "end times" reflects a lot of sentiment that this country has jumped the shark, and there is no way it can ever repair itself.  Therefore death and living in heaven forevermore is preferable.  Suicide by Covid.  God will sort it out and reward those who were loyal to him.

• Rage+1 3

8 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

And from what I read lungs aren't one of the more successful organs to transplant.  

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-some-white-evangelical-republicans-are-so-opposed-to-the-covid-19-vaccine/

The bolded part about "end times" reflects a lot of sentiment that this country has jumped the shark, and there is no way it can ever repair itself.  Therefore death and living in heaven forevermore is preferable.  Suicide by Covid.  God will sort it out and reward those who were loyal to him.

Jesus 2000 years ago "Be right back!"

Christians every fucking year since:

charlie brown thanksgiving GIF by Peanuts

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
overkill explanation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

i am choosing to see the silver lining with a more optimistic read of the judge's order...

if dumbfucks are dumb enough to request doctors override their medical advice and instead, give them horse paste...require them to do it in order to give the hospitals legal cover for removing these idiots from the gene pool a bit quicker.

15 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Art Bell (later George Noury) used to be harmless Ghost-Story-around-the-Campfire fare for background noise when working late at night. Haven't heard it in ages, but I understand it might all be horse-pasters now?

That story about Evangelicals in Buffalo... shudder. I used to travel US 79 regularly, whenever I think of anything from Taylor to Shreveport, I think of sticky roadside restaurants with pale unhealthy roaches crawling on the coffee cups. 

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

i am choosing to see the silver lining with a more optimistic read of the judge's order...

if dumbfucks are dumb enough to request doctors override their medical advice and instead, give them horse paste...require them to do it in order to give the hospitals legal cover for removing these idiots from the gene pool a bit quicker.

I don't like the precedent.  What's next, the judge can rule a doctor can't perform an abortion because a pro-life group brings up a lawsuit?

Judges do not need to get involved with medical care.  Ever. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I don't like the precedent.  What's next, the judge can rule a doctor can't perform an abortion because a pro-life group brings up a lawsuit?

of course not.  it was tongue in cheek and that judge is completely out of bounds.  utterly absurd.

30 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Being called to the rapture requires drowning from fluid in your lungs?  The Lord truly works in mysterious ways.

11 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Butler County Common Pleas Judge Gregory Howard

I think we’re safe. 

I'd say we are not - it only takes 1 success for them to start using it more and more and finding sympathetic judges.  

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, this was some pretty frightening shit for a Monday morning.

13 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

To be fair, Kentucky is horse country.  If anybody would know, it's a doctor from the Bluegrass State.  

This is all very on-brand for Idiocracy in America.  "Ivermectin...it's got what horse craves" 

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He should resign his Senate seat and start conducting all that valuable research.

He should shut up and go to work on passing legislation that helps people...

Currently six trials recruiting participants right now regarding ivermectin and COVID, doesn't count any already completed or closed. He could also increase funding for scientific research but he's not going to do that either....

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, it’s been happening to women for years. Judges have been living up in our wombs for decades.

Abortion, birth control, Terri Schiavo.

The right wing has always been all about “saving women from themselves” and getting in between us and our doctors.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

The evangelicals think the country has gone to shit and it’s the “end times”because it’s gotten browner.  It’s really not any more complicated than that. Maybe the virus will eventually wipe the evangelicals out and we don’t have to listen to their bullshit anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

In the race to get Americans vaccinated, two groups are commanding a lot of attention: Republicans and white evangelicals. Both are less likely to have been vaccinated already and more likely to refuse vaccination altogether.

I'm pretty good with this.  White evangelical Republicans are the group that I most often wish death upon. 

So, silver lining to this shitshow?

• Hook 'Em 4