Katie Porter is a very bright woman

Gil Bang

Porter is a breathtaking combination of knowledge and ability to convey that knowledge.

It would have made for a too complicated visual, but I'd like to see the comparison between American business executive pay and the pay in other countries. I assume it remains as absurd as it was a few decades ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

NSIAP.  I want to have her babies after this.

The idea that this will convince anyone that votes R to support democrats is, sadly, quite hilarious.  These people are not swayed by facts.  She's just another evil, lying Dem.

19 hours ago, Burt said:

This is awesome!

Love her but this is a complete joke.  Glad she does this for the few smart people left, but the right neither gives a shit, nor is even embarrassed.  They only care about getting paid. Supreme Court justices are taking bribes, defense spending is rife with corruption, the former president is a foreign asset--just add it to the pile.  

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'd vote for her as POTUS in a heartbeat.  She's tough, smart, and effective. 

Katie Porter, AOC, Adam Schiff, Pete Buttigieg, Stacey Abrams, Ted Lieu (foreign born so can't by rules), Elizabeth Warren, Gavin Newsom--just a few off the top of my head that I wish could win the presidency.  Every one of them is smarter and more honest than anybody on the Republican side--by a wide margin.  

Oh well, Democracy gets what it votes for unfortunately.  And when we vote against our rights, they'll shrink.  It's idiotic thinking Americans will use their right to bear arms to keep the government in check, but are unwilling to vote to do so.  I guess they'll use their guns to set up a true Democracy where people get a say in their government?  Of course not.  They'll use their guns to try and install an authoritarian government.  

Reading all of these threads just leads to the same endgame.  Trump is a litmus test.  If he wins, the remains of Democracy spill down the drain.  It's already draining-see SCOTUS, but the speed increases.     

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

I'm proud that Texas has finally sent someone up there who has the same chops that Porter and AOC do, and that's Jasmine Crockett.  

I wish these wonderful women got as much coverage as the trolls who seem to stay in front of the media saying stupid shit that sucks so much oxygen out of the room there's none left for talking about how some of our representatives are fighting the good fight every day up there.   

I'm not disparaging those like SJL, as I have heard her speak several times and have been impressed, but these younger women seem to bring a fire and snark that plays much better.  

I'd like to see us have a thread on Dem Rising Stars, but not sure if it would be redundant with having individual threads.

• Hook 'Em 5

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

May Adam Schiff rot in hell for propping up Rwpublican Steve Garvey. That “pied piper” strategy is one reason we have Trump. 

Alienating progressives—and promoting Repubs instead—is fraught with peril. Hubris is a calling card for Establishment Dems. 

I hope Porter re-enters public service in the future. She was a breath of fresh air. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Damn. I would likely vote for Schiff, but I hate seeing Porter lose anything.

I see it's four years until the other seat comes up. I have little knowledge of Butler, but a quick scan on google indicates she might very good. Just a guess.

Biden should find a place for Porter in his administration. She's too valuable not to be working for the republic.

Yep and then go home, run for CA GOV down the road and parlay it into Senate. 

FYI, Butler is the one not running this year. Padilla is the other Senator and he’ll keep it as long as he wants. 

• Like 1

Just now, Red Five said:

Can someone explain the California primary process to me like I'm five? How does propping up Garvey help Schiff and knock out Porter?

Top 2 advance regardless of party. Easier to run against a Republican than a fellow Dem, even though the latter would eliminate the tiny chance of a GOP win. But let’s face it, if Garvey won in November, Biden lost 1984 style or something. Aka, not happening 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Damn. I would likely vote for Schiff, but I hate seeing Porter lose anything.

I see it's four years until the other seat comes up. I have little knowledge of Butler, but a quick scan on google indicates she might very good. Just a guess.

Biden should find a place for Porter in his administration. She's too valuable not to be working for the republic.

She'd be fucking amazing as Sec. of Commerce, but Wall Street and Silicon Valley might team up to have her whacked. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Oh no Katie what is you doing 

She claimed it was rigged. Then had to backtrack she meant manipulated by big money. She should know rigged has a certain connotation now 

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh no Katie what is you doing 

She claimed it was rigged. Then had to backtrack she meant manipulated by big money. She should know rigged has a certain connotation now 

That was a shit statement. No problem with using it as a chance to advocate for getting money out of politics, to say something like “voters need to hear from candidates and not ultra-rich donors and their PR team.”  Any savvy politician who calls an election rigged knows what they are saying.

I’ll go against the grain and say she’s a better politician and advocate than as someone who needs to head a cabinet department.  Something like consumer protection maybe.  She’s a super smart lawyer who’s good at making a case and running circles around the opposite side and also being a great advocate. That style doesn’t mesh with cabinet leadership. Those roles have less power and authority, it’s not a bully pulpit role. You’re dependent on consensus building and relationship managing and mobilizing the bureaucracy to get shit done. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Any savvy politician who calls an election rigged knows what they are saying.

Exactly my thoughts.  She's too fucking smart for that shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

23 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Steve Johnny Appleseed Garvey has no fucking business running for Congress. 

He was one of my favorite players as a kid. Still have his card in my collection.

image.thumb.png.ce61ebe12fe4e711064a94067bb75a50.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Hilarious. Primary turnout doesn’t usually correlate to big November wins. Republicans are not going to have some great night in California in November 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hilarious. Primary turnout doesn’t usually correlate to big November wins. Republicans are not going to have some great night in California in November 

It's silly season for the national press right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, that article was nonsense.  Schiff's play worked and turnout sucked.  No conclusions to be drawn.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, that article was nonsense.  Schiff's play worked and turnout sucked.  No conclusions to be drawn.

Also more hilarious - this is fucking California.  It's going to be 2 weeks before the final results are in.  So all the "OMG GOP TURNOUT WAS AMAZING" - let's see when final results are in to determine turnout.  Because CA counts their mail slowly.  A lot of these races only show 50% of the vote in (mostly E-Day, which is....Republican!) 

For instance, someone online freaked out about CA-41 - Calvet (R) 50.3% and the Dem at 41%.  91k votes so far.  2022 had 117k votes and 2020 had 160k votes. 

Also the special open primary for Senate - yeah, Garvey is "leading" with 34.4% but it's a top 2 system and the Dems ended up with 57.9% of the vote (so far).  So woohoo for Garvey? 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

Have to wonder if she's beginning to question that stance of not taking any corporate donations, but only grassroots.    I would think there would be at least a few decent moral corporations out there, right? 

50 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Have to wonder if she's beginning to question that stance of not taking any corporate donations, but only grassroots.    I would think there would be at least a few decent moral corporations out there, right? 

Bombas should give her a call. I switched to their socks for running back when they first started and someone sent me a pair. Not cheap socks but I'm a fan.

20 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

She's dead to me now.  The word "rigged" should NEVER come from the mouth of a dem.

Yeah I know there’s a low bar thanks to the fat orange fuck but everyone at least needs to clear it. She needs to go on some shows and walk it back hugely 

21 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

She's dead to me now.  The word "rigged" should NEVER come from the mouth of a dem.

What if a Dem is watching a Texas/Okie State Rig 12 football game?  Can the dem use the word in that setting?

• Rage+1 1

So I haven’t paid much attention to California politics. I didn’t even realize Schiff was running for Senate. Why has the Democratic Party there allowed these two key politicians go head to head like that? I would have thought there would have been better planning. I didn’t even realize Schiff had a shot at Senate. And Porter had a lot more room to move up in the House. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So I haven’t paid much attention to California politics. I didn’t even realize Schiff was running for Senate. Why has the Democratic Party there allowed these two key politicians go head to head like that? I would have thought there would have been better planning. I didn’t even realize Schiff had a shot at Senate. And Porter had a lot more room to move up in the House. 

CA has an open primary. The ballot had like 20+ candidates from all parties. What is the advantage to the Democratic party if they had not "allowed" Porter to run?

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

CA has an open primary. The ballot had like 20+ candidates from all parties. What is the advantage to the Democratic party if they had not "allowed" Porter to run?

Did she not have to give up her house seat to run?

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Did she not have to give up her house seat to run?

Sorry, yes. I didn't read your original question with that in mind and was thinking more about the strategy behind winning the senate seat.

35 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

So did her and Schiff have to be only one the ballot for one race in the primary so she won't be on the ballot in November?

Yes. California doesn’t let you be on the ballot for multiple races in the primary. It was a huge risk for either of them

I like Porter but her campaign did not appeal to the general California electorate. Would have won a Twitter primary though 

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

I’m in Cali and she’s done with that statement.  No excuse for claiming a rigged election.  I voted for Schiff anyway but before that would have been fine with her.  Get the fuck right out of here now.