2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

That's not why the executive has concentrated powers...this wouldn't do shit. 

I'm not sure what you're interpreting as "that", but a lack of Congressional oversight and intervention is a not-insignificant aspect of the consolidation of executive power. A specific example is the President's ability to use emergency powers.

Just now, Lobo said:

To be fair to President Bush, he has been following the centuries long tradition of previous presidents not getting overly involved in subsequent elections.  Sure there's been examples, but most of the time-most former Presidents remain mostly quiet.  Bill Clinton hasn't been terribly visible for Biden during this final stretch.  Maybe in private donor-only Zoom calls or someshit, but he hasn't been that high profile for Biden.  Bush didn't really around Romney in 2012 either.  Carter was pretty quiet in 1992 for Clinton.  

And to be fair to those that think Obama should have remained off the campaign trail, he gets two passes from me---this is his former VP, not just some awkward blind date set up by the DNC.   It'd be weird not to stump for him.  And Obama was largely silent during the first 3 years of Trump's presidency, and I think that's the right decorum.  But once Trump started with the "Obama pulled the greatest political crime in American history" bullshit and wanted Obama arrested, Obama took off the decorum gloves and started insulting Trump and I love it.  I would have (in a pandemic responsible fashion) rolled up to the Dept. of Justice, invited 100 news cameras, and stood on the steps with my wrists together and proclaimed, "I'm here at President Trump's request to turn myself in for the greatest political crime in American history.  Apparently everybody knows about all the evidence, so I'll wait out here for ten minutes and they can bring it on out, present it to my lawyer, and take me in for questioning.  No evidence?  Then shut up and do your job, because---and I speak from experience---I don't know where you find the time to whine and hurl accusations most of the day."  /rant

Alright, back to Texas on Election Day.  What high turnout counties tomorrow spell good for Trump?  

It’s a tradition because either the ex president didn’t live long or no one wanted to hear from them. Not because of some ideal. And as far as Clinton fading into the background, he’s toxic to the dem party because of his past.

hot take: jimmy carter may be the best ex president we’ve ever had.  The dem party should be ashamed of how they’ve pushed him to the back all of these years.  FYI, he just turned 96.

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

MAGAsshats calls it a rally, I call it a funeral procession.

Trump's probably thinking: look at that yuuuge parade they had for me after the rally!  Hundreds probably thousands of my supporters paraded for hours, maybe days!.

Or he's thinking a bunch of antifa/biden people came just to muck up the traffic.

29 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I would expand the house and abolish the senate, or just make the senators super representatives. Point is, the senate has outlived its usefulness. It’s just a built in veto against democracy. 

The house can be expanded by congress and as a by product it would become less likely that a popular vote loser becomes president. The senate can’t be changed, it would take a constitutional amendment with 2/3 approval from the states and small states aren’t going to give up their outweighed power. It would also be nice if states didn’t give all their electoral votes to the popular vote winner within the state but that change would need to come from the states. Nebraska and Maine have a nice system. It can’t be mandated for all states.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Candidly, if that happens, we deserve whatever we get and I'll be firmly in the "eating popcorn, watching the world burn" faction. 

I expect I'll be firmly in the eating gruel in a gulag with a spoon I keep tied around my neck faction.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Lobo said:

To be fair to President Bush, he has been following the centuries long tradition of previous presidents not getting overly involved in subsequent elections.  Sure there's been examples, but most of the time-most former Presidents remain mostly quiet.  Bill Clinton hasn't been terribly visible for Biden during this final stretch.  Maybe in private donor-only Zoom calls or someshit, but he hasn't been that high profile for Biden.  Bush didn't really around Romney in 2012 either.  Carter was pretty quiet in 1992 for Clinton.  

And to be fair to those that think Obama should have remained off the campaign trail, he gets two passes from me---this is his former VP, not just some awkward blind date set up by the DNC.   It'd be weird not to stump for him.  And Obama was largely silent during the first 3 years of Trump's presidency, and I think that's the right decorum.  But once Trump started with the "Obama pulled the greatest political crime in American history" bullshit and wanted Obama arrested, Obama took off the decorum gloves and started insulting Trump and I love it.  I would have (in a pandemic responsible fashion) rolled up to the Dept. of Justice, invited 100 news cameras, and stood on the steps with my wrists together and proclaimed, "I'm here at President Trump's request to turn myself in for the greatest political crime in American history.  Apparently everybody knows about all the evidence, so I'll wait out here for ten minutes and they can bring it on out, present it to my lawyer, and take me in for questioning.  No evidence?  Then shut up and do your job, because---and I speak from experience---I don't know where you find the time to whine and hurl accusations most of the day."  /rant

Alright, back to Texas on Election Day.  What high turnout counties tomorrow spell good for Trump?  

Bush is staying silent to protect the political future of his family.   

Both the Clintons are not saying much, and I have to think it's because they know their day in the sun is past and their cred in the party is negligible.   Either they figured this themselves, or somebody from the Biden camp made it clear.   Neither one of them polled well after their convention appearances.  I'd much rather see Michelle out there than Hillary.

26 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'm wondering how much divisiveness that stunt in Comal/Hays county has caused in the Latino community.  If they're now more charged up to vote Biden because those fools embarrassed them.   

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

If they think the current GOP will shift back to the Bush era they’re insane. It’s the party of trump now and that’s not changing for a long time. 

Barring incarceration, I don't see Trump going away. He'll continue to stoke division and influence the GOP. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The house can be expanded by congress and as a by product it would become less likely that a popular vote loser becomes president. The senate can’t be changed, it would take a constitutional amendment with 2/3 approval from the states and small states aren’t going to give up their outweighed power. It would also be nice if states didn’t give all their electoral votes to the popular vote winner within the state but that change would need to come from the states. Nebraska and Maine have a nice system. It can’t be mandated for all states.

Oh, I’m aware my ideas on this are politically impossible and pretty much magical thinking.  It was more of a “if everything is on the table in reorganizing the power in Article 1, here’s what I’d do.”

8 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I'm wondering how much divisiveness that stunt in Comal/Hays county has caused in the Latino community.  If they're now more charged up to vote Biden because those fools embarrassed them.   

My neighborhood Facebook page (Comal co.) has determined that the libtards are at fault so I believe it's settled.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Both the Clintons are not saying much, and I have to think it's because they know their day in the sun is past and their cred in the party is negligible.   Either they figured this themselves, or somebody from the Biden camp made it clear.   Neither one of them polled well after their convention appearances.  I'd much rather see Michelle out there than Hillary. 

I wonder how much of that has to do with trying to win back blue collar voters.  Not only are a lot of them indoctrinated with anti-Clinton bullshit, there are the legitimate complaints over NAFTA. Against a regular free-trade type Republican, it wouldn't be a big deal, but against Trump it's a liability. 

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

If they think the current GOP will shift back to the Bush era they’re insane. It’s the party of trump now and that’s not changing for a long time. 

I think this would have a legitimate chance at creating a 3 party system over the next 10 years, if that's the case. If Rs get trounced this election, it will cause a panic in establishment Rs who have been there a while. I could see the Republican Party fracture into McConnell Rs and Trump Rs.

12 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I'm going to disagree on that. Trumps a means to an end for the GOP at this point but "Trump" won't be the GOP direction when he's done here

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm going to disagree on that. Trumps a means to an end for the GOP at this point but "Trump" won't be the GOP direction when he's done here

Show me the path to election victories Reps have w/out their stupid, racist, poor white-trash base?  Without trumpism, they go away. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Show me the path to election victories Reps have w/out their stupid, racist, poor white-trash base?  Without trumpism, they go away. 

If Trump loses now than that "base" will never be enough (unless somehow find someone more "white-trash" popular.. don't think possible), they will have to change.  They don't care who the candidate is, just that they can win.

Be warned a lot of expletives in her rant.

I wanted to circle back to the Kushner comments for a minute.

This is why I cautioned against Ice Cube working with Trump. Ice Cube just became a political rock that the GOP threw through the glass window that is Black America. Cube built his wealth by rapping about systemic racism in the Black Community. He was probably the most outspoken about it in his time. He basically just washed all that hard work away by allowing himself to be the 2020 version of, "be a good n**ger boy like this this boy here and you might make something of yourselves". No amount of money was worth being the platform that allowed them to insult us like this. Like me, the Black Community saw this coming. They were right to be upset with Cube. I hope somewhere Cube is kicking himself for falling for it, though I would rather him get on social media and tell them to fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

These AZ numbers are doomy af for me. Biden absolutely needs AZ to keep this out of Trump’s PA fuckery.

AZ has been stable between about 3-4% the entire time. And Dems typically outperform polling there. I don't think we should worry too hard about Arizona. We've seen huge early turnout in Maricopa county, and there's just not really enough left of the state to overcome what should be a significant early-voting lead for Dems. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/arizona/

Plus it's Monday morning which is clearly not within the allowed CR Doom Hours window.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What is the Comal/Hays incident that was mentioned?

The incident on I35 with the Biden bus.

All those people were from New Braunfels and Kyle/Hays. There's a Trump Train parade that goes through downtown New Braunfels every week or month or something, and I see them on 306 pretty frequently. It's the same 30-40 guys. 

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

AZ has been stable between about 3-4% the entire time. And Dems typically outperform polling there. I don't think we should worry too hard about Arizona. We've seen huge early turnout in Maricopa county, and there's just not really enough left of the state to overcome what should be a significant early-voting lead for Dems. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/arizona/

Plus it's Monday morning which is clearly not within the allowed CR Doom Hours window.

Yeah I think the Dems outperform in AZ, particularly given the huge swing toward Biden among the olds. Polls showing Florida +6 scare me more than an Arizona toss up, because Florida gonna Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1

There are not enough true moderates for the GOP to reject Trump’s base.  That would just be handing the presidency to the Dems for the foreseeable future.  The only hope for the country is that this election shows such a rebuke of Trumpism that Trump’s base changes (or at least retreats back to where they were from 1980-2010).  Unfortunately that doesn’t appear likely.  The good news is that it does look like there is enough anti-Trump sentiment that it’s possible the Dems keep the presidency until Trump dies.  It’s also likely that Trump was uniquely suited for his role, and that once he’s dead there won’t be anyone who can fill that role as “effectively” as he has.

This is all just a waiting game until the generation of voters who are majority cool with racism and sexism die off.  Sometime in the next 10-20 years there will be a massive shakeup in politics as the GOP is forced to adjust to the fact that their base is dead.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah I think the Dems outperform in AZ, particularly given the huge swing toward Biden among the olds. Polls showing Florida +6 scare me more than an Arizona toss up, because Florida gonna Florida.

Agreed, that's a weird number. I've got Florida at Biden by 1.1%, but with some of that doomy turnout stuff we saw last week plus the ballots in storage rooms BS, I'm not confident in it at all. 

Let's hope we don't need it.

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I don't buy that number directly. Sure they like him.. but give them a better candidate.. same platform with a more dignified delivery (bar is low I know)... and they will switch in a heartbeat.

They had 10 (however many others there were) better options in 2016 primaries.  I don't buy the "better candidate" theory.  They are all in on racism and "fuck the libs".  I'll believe differently when I see it. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The GOP is in no mans land. If they lose the Trumpers, they are lost, and if they lurch so far to the center to get suburban moms back they lose the Trumpers and are in the same situation. Their only hope is revving up the white trash base and suppressing the vote of others.

Trumpism is here until a 3rd party cannibalizes enough GOP support to effectively collapse it and absorb the rump.

• Like 2

Just now, G650 said:

The GOP is in no mans land. If they lose the Trumpers, they are lost, and if they lurch so far to the center to get suburban moms back they lose the Trumpers and are in the same situation. Their only hope is revving up the white trash base and suppressing the vote of others.

Trumpism is here until a 3rd party cannibalizes enough GOP support to effectively collapse it and absorb the rump.

The 2024 GOP primary is going to be an embarrassing, uncomfortable and terrifying clown show. But we'll burn that bridge when we get there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I think this would have a legitimate chance at creating a 3 party system over the next 10 years, if that's the case. If Rs get trounced this election, it will cause a panic in establishment Rs who have been there a while. I could see the Republican Party fracture into McConnell Rs and Trump Rs.

The racists in this country have always been a political power block.  They’ve realigned a few times but they’ve always been consolidated.  Not sure how the GOP remains viable without the bigots. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

56 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Trump's probably thinking: look at that yuuuge parade they had for me after the rally!  Hundreds probably thousands of my supporters paraded for hours, maybe days!.

Or he's thinking a bunch of antifa/biden people came just to muck up the traffic.

He’s not thinking about them at all

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

They had 10 (however many others there were) better options in 2016.  I don't buy the "better candidate" theory.  They are all in on racism and "fuck the libs".  I'll believe differently when I see it. 

This.  The GOP didn't accidentally fall into Trump.  They overwhelmingly embraced him in nominating him, voting for him, supporting him, and enabling.  He's not a bug in the GOP system -- he's THE feature.  The only one now, actually.

• Like 2

Trump will fade pretty quickly after he loses.  3 years from now, you'll have 20 assholes on a debate stage all trying to convince Republican primary voters that they're the biggest asshole and the heir to the Trump cult.  One of them will say something like, "I'm the one we need to nominate because I'm the one that can beat that bitch KamalalalaShatrellKwanChingChong or whatever her name is."  Black or white smoke (I forget which) will go up and the cult will have a new leader.  Donald isn't the deity of the cult.  He's more like the pope, for now.   

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I don't buy that number directly. Sure they like him.. but give them a better candidate.. same platform with a more dignified delivery (bar is low I know)... and they will switch in a heartbeat.

The Primaries prove that theory wrong. They got washed by Trump and it wasn't even close.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

There is literally no GOP platform this year. It’s just trump. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1