Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

12 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Someone said it somewhere earlier.  Christianity is now just a cloak for greed and lust for power.  Pure and simple.  

s-l300.jpg

Sinclair Lewis knew/knows America. Elmer Gantry and Babbitt are favorite books. Gantry is the great American character able to seemingly honestly hold two contradictory moral codes at once. 

24 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Christianity at its core is quite simple. Love God completely. And love thy neighbors.

That’s the new covenant which should supersede the old covenant and all the Old Testament concepts evangelical like to cherry pick to justify hating the gays and browns. The mental gymnastics around this concept is insane.

We have a vast society and currently only 2 cultures (or world views) to support right now, very much aligned with the 2 party system

In turn we have strange bedfellows all over the place. 

In desperate need of a cultural revolution of sorts (I don't know - maybe that is what we are going through now!?)  And some serious political reform. But we know that

Happy Monday friends, up and atom. 

Christianity at its core is quite simple. Love God completely. And love thy neighbors.

That’s the new covenant which should supersede the old covenant and all the Old Testament concepts evangelical like to cherry pick to justify hating the gays and browns. The mental gymnastics around this concept is insane.
Conservative Christians should just call themselves Old Testamentians. In virtually every instance where there is a contradiction or ambiguity between the teachings of Christ and the Old Testament, the latter is their default position
  • Like 3

Interesting read from Chris Ladd. 

Why White Evangelicalism is So Cruel

Many Christian movements take the title “evangelical,” including many African-American denominations. However, evangelicalism today has been coopted as a preferred description for Christians who were looking to shed an older, largely discredited title: Fundamentalist. A quick glance at a map showing concentrations of adherents and weekly church attendance reveals the evangelical movement’s center of gravity in the Old South. And among those evangelical churches, one denomination remains by far the leader in membership, theological pull, and political influence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

Love your neighbors as you do yourself is the actual commandment, and that's an important part that can't be forgotten. We should not hold ourselves up to be any more important than someone else. Anything we would do for ourselves we should do for our neighbor. Anything we deserve, our neighbor deserves as well. Oh and neighbor doesn't mean to person next door. It's very clear that everyone is our neighbor regardless of who they are or where they live. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

yeah me too.

and to Brisket's point, of course Jesus wouldnt align himself either way. I was joking to make a point that if you truly follow Jesus's teachings its hard not to align with the causes more readily embraced by the Democrats. 

"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." Matthew 5:5     Straight from the scripture-- pretty much 100% eliminates Trump and his ilk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.  Two simple overarching laws.  Love God.  Love everyone else.  No exceptions.

Modern "Christianity" is all about trying to parse out exceptions.

well, if man is created in Gods image, then you best love your neighbor. I could go on, but really, they like to cherry pick rather than accept it all. 

18 hours ago, Eastwood said:

My grandparents are stuck in the Small Town, America bubble and are active members in a small Christian congregation. It's amazing how they are looking the other way on all of the things Trump does purely because they have been convinced that the Democrats want to destroy Christianity and legalize sin. They are both in their 80's.

I have been sitting on a very long diatribe about the decline of the status of elders in modern society, but I haven't found the right thread for it, yet. There has been a massive societal change in something that has been a norm for literally all of human history and I haven't seen any articles that talk about it. The elders have made themselves obsolete and a danger to society by their inaction. If I didn't have 5 hours of studying left to do for the weekend, I'd sit down and hash it out.

Due to the miracle of modern medicine, peoples' bodies live longer than ever. Unfortunately, we haven't yet figured out how to do the same for our brains. We have large numbers of olds whose bodies have outlived their intellect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Yes he does and then he wants you to give most of it to those less fortunate. 

Which is why trickle-down economics is the most Christian thing of all.  I get to keep all my loot, and as a result all the benefits trickle down to the less fortunate.  All the benefits except getting any of my loot, of course.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth." Matthew 5:5     Straight from the scripture-- pretty much 100% eliminates Trump and his ilk. 

They counter this with "God helps those who help themselves."     Thing is that line is no where in the bible. 

• Like 1

I am pretty stern in my position of respect, admiration and caring for our elders so we can show we first value life and second glean from them as much wisdom as we can. The problem is I see not wisdom but something entirely different and that makes the rest really hard. Same in professional circles too.
That's a really good point.

1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

They have 46 followers.  That's what he's clinging to now.

That’s how many accounts they’re following and most are predictable but some were surprising.

/r/the_donald and CNN were two I did nazi coming.

And the most surprising follow is 80s super villain actor Robert Davi.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAFc9AJk_dwzg3-CjgA2M

Diamond and Silk have 800k+ followers.

Just went to their website and it's exactly what you'd think it would be. Pandering to the lowest common denominator and looking for money. Good for them on figuring out how to profit off of Trump's base. 

If anybody wants to "contribute" (for what exactly I'm not sure), you can do so here..   https://www.diamondandsilk.com/

Just now, Lagunamadre said:

Just went to their website and it's exactly what you'd think it would be. Pandering to the lowest common denominator and looking for money. Good for them on figuring out how to profit off of Trump's base. 

If anybody wants to "contribute" (for what exactly I'm not sure), you can do so here..   https://www.diamondandsilk.com/

Also, they are making a movie entitled "Dummycrats". Idiocracy might have overestimated our future's intelligence. 

Had a moment that encapsulated all Trumpkins today. I'm waiting to get on the bus at Disney World with a guy (by the looks from ohio at about 280lbs) who was wearing a Trump jersey (apparently that's a real thing). Anther guy comes up and tells him nice shirt and he yells back really loudly to make sure everyone heard "oh yeah I'm going to ruffle some feathers today!"

Gotta show those lib cucks I guess.

7 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Welp, I know where I'll be buying all my white elephant Christmas gifts this year. 

23 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Had a moment that encapsulated all Trumpkins today. I'm waiting to get on the bus at Disney World with a guy (by the looks from ohio at about 280lbs) who was wearing a Trump jersey (apparently that's a real thing). Anther guy comes up and tells him nice shirt and he yells back really loudly to make sure everyone heard "oh yeah I'm going to ruffle some feathers today!"

I was at the As-Rangers game yesterday and it was Hispanic Heritage Day. Some white dude was walking around in a MAGA hat. He was standing next to me for about 15 minutes in the concession area (he was eating a burrito near at the phone charging station). I really wanted to say something; however, I didn't want to validate his decision. Would love to have seen if he wore it while walking through the parking lot. And he definitely won't survive if he decides to show up to tonight's Raiders game. 

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

s-l300.jpg

Sinclair Lewis knew/knows America. Elmer Gantry and Babbitt are favorite books. Gantry is the great American character able to seemingly honestly hold two contradictory moral codes at once. 

"A Face in the Crowd" is a movie that reminds me of our situation, today.             Also, "Bob Roberts", underrated movie.

Image result for a face in the crowd

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Was the jersey tailored?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Monday warned incoming immigration judges that lawyers representing immigrants are trying to get around the law like “water seeping through an earthen dam” and that their responsibility is to not let them and instead deliver a “secure” border and a “lawful system” that “actually works.”

He also cautioned the judges against allowing sympathy for the people appearing before them, which might cause them to make decisions contrary to what the law requires.

“When we depart from the law and create nebulous legal standards out of a sense of sympathy for the personal circumstances of a respondent in our immigration courts, we do violence to the rule of law and constitutional fabric that bind this great nation. Your job is to apply the law—even in tough cases,” he said.

The comments immediately drew criticism from the union that represents the judges and from former judges.

“The reality is that it is a political statement which does not articulate a legal concept that judges are required to be aware of and follow,” said Dana Marks, a spokeswoman for the National Association of Immigration Judges and an immigration judge in San Francisco. “It did appear to be a one-sided argument made by a prosecutor.”

Jeffrey Chase, a former immigration judge and now an immigration attorney, said the comments overlooked the fact that asylum laws were designed to be flexible.

“We possess brains and hearts, not just one or the other,” he said. It is sympathy, Chase said, that often spurs legal theories that advance the law in asylum law, civil rights and criminal law.

“Sessions is characterizing decisions he personally disagrees with as being based on sympathy alone,” he said, “when in fact, those decisions were driven by sympathy, but based on solid legal reasoning.”

Unlike other US courts, immigration judges are employees of the Justice Department whose evaluations are based on guidelines Sessions lays out. In that role, Sessions already has instituted case quotas, restricted the types of cases for which asylum can be granted, and limited when judges can indefinitely suspend certain cases. Advocates believe the Trump administration has made these decisions in order to speed up deportations. His comments on sympathy to immigrants appeared intended to bolster a decision he made recently to limit when asylum can be granted out of fear of domestic or gang violence.

Sessions also told the judges that they should focus on maximum production and urged them to get “imaginative and inventive” with their high caseload. The courts currently have a backlog of hundreds of thousands of deportation cases.

Ashley Tabaddor, the president of the National Association of Immigration Judges, which represents the nation’s 350 immigration judges, said Sessions’ speech was notable for its lack of any mention of fairness or due process. “We cannot possibly be put in this bind of being accountable to someone who is so clearly committed to the prosecutorial role,” said Tabaddor, an immigration judge in Los Angeles.

The union has long called for its separation from the Department of Justice in order to be truly independent of political decision-making.

“Good lawyers, using all of their talents and skill, work every day—like water seeping through an earthen dam—to get around the plain words of the [Immigration and Nationality Act] to advance their clients’ interests. Theirs is not the duty to uphold the integrity of the act. That is our most serious duty,” Sessions said in a speech to 44 newly hired judges who were being trained in Falls Church, Virginia.

He ended his speech by telling the incoming judges that the American people had spoken in laws and “in our elections.”

“They want a safe, secure border and a lawful system of immigration that actually works. Let’s deliver it for them,” Sessions said.

From the beginning of October through the end of June, immigration judges had granted around 22% of asylum cases while denying around 41% of cases while the rest of the cases were closed. The rate is similar to previous fiscal years. Sessions decision limiting the types of cases in which asylum should be granted was made in mid-June.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hamedaleaziz/sessions-new-immigration-judges-sympathy

• Like 1