Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

These numbers mean he will lose the House in November and if they remain this low he will not be re-elected.

I think there are plenty of conservatives who hate Trump but don’t want to lose the house. I don’t think the blue wave is a foregone conclusion. But I’d give it better than 50% chance.

And as a conservative I celebrate it. The fact that no one party is in power for long is one of the great things about this country and our political system.

Wow, he went there on Puerto Rico.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1039828966595616768

“We got A Pluses for our recent hurricane work in Texas and Florida (and did an unappreciated great job in Puerto Rico, even though an inaccessible island with very poor electricity and a totally incompetent Mayor of San Juan). We are ready for the big one that is coming!”

———-

Gotta drive up that PR vote in Florida to fuck over Republicans there!

10 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Some politician or news person needs to start tweeting or repeatedly saying that he doesn't have the guts to fire Mueller. It wouldn't take much to goad him into going it. He wants to so badly. 

He would have fired him before now if he thought he could get away with it. It’s one of the few things that seems to scare him.  

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He would have fired him before now if he thought he could get away with it. It’s one of the few things that seems to scare him.  

No doubt. But he has such little self control, and he's such an egomaniac, that if he was pushed he'd easily go over the edge and do it regardless of the consequences. Even if he didn't, it would be fun watching him react to being told he was too scared to do it. The tweets would be glorious. 

Out of all the insane things to be confronted by in this bizarre universe we’ve fallen into, the most insane thing to me is how self-professing “Christians” feel like their belief system prevents them from turning away from a profoundly immoral and un-Christ-like man.  

Was he speaking about himself or Trump?

I think “I don’t know” is progress.

I can't imagine the Dems playing ball (although who knows--they've certainly been weak in the past).  But they'd have to explain to their voters including the majority of women and minorities in this country why they're aligning with the shithead who ignored court orders for the lofty goal of locking up children, enacted kiddy concentration camps, said there were good Nazis, and spewed racist and sexist crap.

Playing ball doesn’t mean aligning, it means compromising. To me at least.

13 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yeah, just a piece of shit human being on every level. 

I mean I know some shitty people, and every single one of them is capable of showing remorse on 9/11 and understanding that hurricane cleanup is not really an appropriate topic to brag about your personal accomplishments.  He really is off the charts horrible.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, yeah...a couple. My pastor wife.  The folks I serve on a denominational board with.  The folks who I'll be working with to install a friend as a new pastor at a church this weekend.  All the folks I knew in my 12 years of Catholic education.  So, I guess more than a couple.

And, as my pastor wife and I were discussing last night, observing the crisis of mainstream American Christianity being anti-Gospels, the crisis of institutions of "The Church" (not just confined to the Catholic church) concealing and enabling decades/centuries of horrific abuse, she said "we need to face the fact that the Church is dying.  And maybe it needs to die."  The point being that, yet again, we have so perverted the church to serve our worldly goals that it is no longer an institution OF God run (with many flaws) by men, but rather is entirely an institution of men, run entirely with disregard for or opposition to God.

There can be no sound argument that Jesus would do anything but devote his entire self -- including sacrificing his life -- to serve the least among us.  Folks like little Guatemalans, both adults and children.  As just one example.  Yet American Christianity -- the dominant Church, the Church of the Empire -- stands against them.  Yes, there are many Christians living The Way (as Christianity is).  Go down to McAllen, and the work that many Christians - including the Catholic Church -- are doing is indeed divinity here on earth.  But they are working AGAINST the dominant "Christian" creed of our country and era in doing so.

The Church -- the Church of the Empire, of the dominant culture -- may indeed need to die.  So that the Church, the body of Christ, can be reborn.  It's already had to happen once.

True acts of Christian charity, those.

Well said. This, plus my general lack of faith in the whole God thing, is why I'm no longer a Christian and closer to an atheist than anything else. Grew up in a Christian home with a father who was a pastor but I'm done with it all. And I'm done with the party who has co-opted (or been co-opted by) the evangelicals like my parents. You are correct that there are many Christians doing good things around the world. I just lean towards thinking that humanity can come up with a system that provides a venue for such good works without all of the negatives that come along with religion. I think I'd enjoy a conversation with you and your pastor wife.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, yeah...a couple. My pastor wife.  The folks I serve on a denominational board with.  The folks who I'll be working with to install a friend as a new pastor at a church this weekend.  All the folks I knew in my 12 years of Catholic education.  So, I guess more than a couple.

And, as my pastor wife and I were discussing last night, observing the crisis of mainstream American Christianity being anti-Gospels, the crisis of institutions of "The Church" (not just confined to the Catholic church) concealing and enabling decades/centuries of horrific abuse, she said "we need to face the fact that the Church is dying.  And maybe it needs to die." 

I'm gonna go ahead and posit that your wife, and most likely you as well, have not rejected your faith.  You are speaking about an organizational deviation from the word of God which in no way defines "Christianity" any more than a rabid dog defines canines.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm gonna go ahead and posit that your wife, and most likely you as well, have not rejected your faith.  You are speaking about an organizational deviation from the word of God which in no way defines "Christianity" any more than a rabid dog defines canines.

Well, yes and no.  Christianity is a "Way."  In America, though, Christianity is mostly a brand/label.  The brand dominates. The Way does not.  The brand -- embodied by human institutions called The Church -- needs to die.  Because in large part, that institution not only does not follow the Way, but actively works against it....

FBD-Ext1-2600x1734.jpg

1498968970-US-NEWS-TRUMP-7-ABA.jpg?auto=

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, yes and no.  Christianity is a "Way."  In America, though, Christianity is mostly a brand/label.  The brand dominates. The Way does not.  The brand -- embodied by human institutions called The Church -- needs to die.

It's really a topic for another thread . . . but I disagree that "the brand" needs to die.  "The brand" needs to either help bring those wayward groups back into the fold (doubtful) or kick them out.  The Church literally needs to step up and minister and evangelize to itself (the whole self).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

There wasn’t enough bullshit in a thread about Trump so y’all had to throw in religion too.

Well, the problem is that he's become a religion.  Seriously, the signs of true allegiance to Trump are identical to religious zeal -- and all the worst parts of it, including rejecting all facts or evidence that might conflict with the One True Faith.  Hell, the reasons that many give for supporting him are stated in religious terms.  The Church of Trump is the single biggest denomination in the country right now.  

• Like 3