COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

3 hours ago, Okie State said:
7 hours ago, CleverNickname said:
Right. It will go endemic. I don't get what Australia is doing. Long term covid zero seems impossible.  I don't get it.

Australia seems out of their damn mind. The goal was never and should never be zero. It's impossible.

i've mentioned it a few times on here - Australia is run by Super Boomers - never faced a problem in their life. They crisis manage great, but they are always stuck in crisis management. 

The idea is to change when 70% are vacced, which sounds great, except the 'Crisis Management' Goverment has royally fucked up every aspect of the vaccine rollout. They have an agreeable sheeple populuation so there are no excuses. So many lapses in organisation, effort, messaging and execution. 

• Like 1

I don't have access to anything other than their ED

I have not seen a breakdown of that either. As f Friday (according to texas hospital association), there were 11,261 COVID hospitalizations in texas, with a total of 261 pediatric hospitalizations. They did not break down # of ICU patients for adults or children.
State organized staffing was supposed to start yesterday, which will hopefully provide some help in increasing capacity. But we are, at best, weeks away from seeing a decrease in hospitalizations. Daily/weekly deaths from COVID have been much lower that previous surges (thanks to vaccinations and younger people being hospitalized [larger percentage of unvaccinated dumbasses]. That may change as hospitals run out of capacity to treat patients.

This is kinda where I'm at, or at least heading.  The unvaxxed are contributing to the fuckery of our hospitals right now, and we need as many as possible to get vaxxed to relieve the strain and save lives.  
But this notion that "but for the unvaxxed, we would have 'beaten' this thing" seems hard to believe, and frankly the "fuck all these anti-vaxxers for giving me and my vaxxed friends covid" sentiment seems a bit misplaced.  I mean look at Israel. It's probably the most vaxxed any free society is gonna get, at least among adults.  And they too are having another massive outbreak, with breakthrough infections quite common.  
Vaxxed or unvaxxed, we're probably all getting this variant or the next.  Maybe the newer versions of the vaccines will stamp this thing out, but it seems doubtful, at least at this point.  

I suppose it comes down to the definition of beating the virus. “But for the unvaccinated, we would have beaten this thing” is accurate in the sense that hospitals wouldn’t be overflowing, healthcare staff wouldn’t be at a breaking point, people with other conditions wouldn’t be having to put off medical care, the economic/social impact would be minimized, etc. We wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Beating in the eradication sense is fantasy and holding that up as the goal is a bit of a straw man because I don’t think anyone has seriously considered that a possibility for a while. The cat has been out of the bag. Even if the United States was 100 percent vaxxed, it’s got the rest of the world to make its way through. Billions won’t have access to any vaccine until well into next year. It’ll make its way through everyone, or almost everyone, and settle into an endemic pattern.

Fuck all these antivaxxers for giving me and my vaccinated friends COVID? Nah. Fuck all these dipshit antivaxxers for steadfastly refusing a medical miracle then proceeding to fill up hospitals when it could largely have been prevented? Yeah, fuck them for that.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I suppose it comes down to the definition of beating the virus. “But for the unvaccinated, we would have beaten this thing” is accurate in the sense that hospitals wouldn’t be overflowing, healthcare staff wouldn’t be at a breaking point, people with other conditions wouldn’t be having to put off medical care, the economic/social impact would be minimized, etc. We wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Beating in the eradication sense is fantasy and holding that up as the goal is a bit of a straw man because I don’t think anyone has seriously considered that a possibility for a while. The cat has been out of the bag. Even if the United States was 100 percent vaxxed, it’s got the rest of the world to make its way through. Billions won’t have access to any vaccine until well into next year. It’ll make its way through everyone, or almost everyone, and settle into an endemic pattern.

Fuck all these antivaxxers for giving me and my vaccinated friends COVID? Nah. Fuck all these dipshit antivaxxers for steadfastly refusing a medical miracle then proceeding to fill up hospitals when it could largely have been prevented? Yeah, fuck them for that.

What I had in mind was "beating" = achieving herd immunity through a combination of vaccination and prior infection, "making the spread of the infection from person to person unlikely" (Mayo Clinic June 2021).  This is not a strawman and is the goal for many, or was up until very recently.  I think that's looking increasingly unlikely.  I agree on your other points though.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Update from my mom who works at tractor supply. They've been out of ivermectin for over a week now and no sign of getting more. Several people who were regular buyers all now have covid.

Idiots, all of them

And it will be full throttle confirmation bias if they end up as one of the majority that has a mild case, or the supermajority that survives, it will be proof that ivermectin works. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And it will be full throttle confirmation bias if they end up as one of the majority that has a mild case, or the supermajority that survives, it will be proof that ivermectin works. 

Uhh, it does work. How many of these users have developed intestinal parasites?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Update from my mom who works at tractor supply. They've been out of ivermectin for over a week now and no sign of getting more. Several people who were regular buyers all now have covid.

Idiots, all of them

Tractor Supply should say ivermectin now comes in an injectable form, but it's two doses three or four weeks apart...

Depends on the flavor, of course

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, blacklab said:

If I was king for a day I'd require hospitals that are full to provide care to any vaxed or non covid related patients first, and only if space allowed then treat non vaxed covid patients. Set up a tent outside for them to wait for a bed to open rather than making others wait.

It’s unfortunate that the 20% to 30% who view total selfishness as high patriotism are well aware that a substantial portion of the other group are “chumps” who can always be counted on to act with compassion and self-sacrifice. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Bevo said:

Less than 50% is fucking pathetic. It is hard to believe there are that many out there who think they know more than the doctors.

Many nurses be cray. You almost have to be to do their job.

Sometimes that’s a good thing. Sometimes not. Depends on the situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, blacklab said:

If I was king for a day I'd require hospitals that are full to provide care to any vaxed or non covid related patients first, and only if space allowed then treat non vaxed covid patients. Set up a tent outside for them to wait for a bed to open rather than making others wait.

I don't like myself for it, but this is where I am right now.  If they want to ignore medical science, put them at the back of the line for taking advantage of it when they get to the finding out part.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blacklab said:

This.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Ideally, we get through this and in a year or two it becomes like H1N1/Swine Flu, which is still with us, just mild.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/12/2021 at 6:46 PM, UnivTex34 said:

Welp, our 13 month old had to come home from daycare today due to a positive in his class. So we are in 14 day quarantine. Started a runny nose and cough last night, but otherwise his normal self. Doc said to get him tested Saturday, so that is the plan.

Test came back negative, which is a big relief. Guess the runny nose is just another bug, just like every other weekend since he started daycare in May.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Test came back negative, which is a big relief. Guess the runny nose is just another bug, just like every other weekend since he started daycare in May.

Have a friend of a friend whose infant daughter tested positive.  Parents are vaccinated, but the mom caught it from the child.  I found out later that the bulb shaped snot suckers that seemed to perform fine for my generation and my children's generation have been replaced by a tube with a filter on it that allows the parent to suck the snot out of the baby's nose through the tube.  Well, that filter doesn't work with COVID and I can't imagine who would think this was a good idea in the first place when you know your baby has tested positive.  Also, what the hell was wrong with the bulb activated snot suckers? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Have a friend of a friend whose infant daughter tested positive.  Parents are vaccinated, but the mom caught it from the child.  I found out later that the bulb shaped snot suckers that seemed to perform fine for my generation and my children's generation have been replaced by a tube with a filter on it that allows the parent to suck the snot out of the baby's nose through the tube.  Well, that filter doesn't work with COVID and I can't imagine who would think this was a good idea in the first place when you know your baby has tested positive.  Also, what the hell was wrong with the bulb activated snot suckers? 

My complaints were air flow control and cleaning.  The mouth vacuum traps solve both of those issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I just vomited

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My complaints were air flow control and cleaning.  The mouth vacuum traps solve both of those issues. 

. . . with a side of Covid.  This was the first I'd heard of such a device.  Glad I was before its time.

And what is this "cleaning" to which you refer? 

Edited by dcbc

So I was under the illusion Austin was some bastion of masking up. Here moving my kiddo in to UT today. Took my younger twins down by the Co-Op to give her and mom chance to do their decorating thing. I’d say 10 maybe 20% at best. Wife and I also made a Target run. Bit more there but no more than 30%. Lunch at the dorm less than 10% up and around.

So I’m vaxxed and so kind of go with the herd or what I’m asked with respect to masks. The herd in Austin didn’t seem to be any different than the herd in DFW.

27 minutes ago, Okie State said:

So are you to tell me the vaccine doesn't protect against ingesting virus filled snot? I don't see any reason to get the vaccine then if we're being honest about it.

Lulz.  I know.  But think about the size of the viral load she took.  And although she definitely is symptomatic and has felt like shit, she hasn't had to be hospitalized.  Case in point, the nanny, who gave it to the kid and who we believe only got one shot, had to be hospitalized with when her O2 dropped to 60% (which sounds insane).  She is 35 years old.  Woman's husband, who had the good sense not to suck COVID directly from his daughter's head is feeling just fine.

Edited by dcbc

59 minutes ago, dcbc said:

44 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I just vomited

dumb and dumber dry heave GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

So I was under the illusion Austin was some bastion of masking up. Here moving my kiddo in to UT today. Took my younger twins down by the Co-Op to give her and mom chance to do their decorating thing. I’d say 10 maybe 20% at best. Wife and I also made a Target run. Bit more there but no more than 30%. Lunch at the dorm less than 10% up and around.

So I’m vaxxed and so kind of go with the herd or what I’m asked with respect to masks. The herd in Austin didn’t seem to be any different than the herd in DFW.

A little basis of comparison.  I just got back from one of the Brookshire's stores in Tyler and I'd guess masks were upwards of 40%.  I also suspect that the people in masks were vaccinated and the people without them were not (I just am able to spot them; it's a superpower).  Happy hunting.

11 minutes ago, dcbc said:

. . . with a side of Covid.  This was the first I'd heard of such a device.  Glad I was before its time.

And what is this "cleaning" to which you refer? 

Well I wouldn’t have used it for covid because I’m not an idiot. Or maybe I would have figured I’m getting it from them one way or the other and said fuck it. 

needs to have a catch can though, not drinking anyone’s filtered snot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Lulz.  I know.  But think about the size of the viral load she took.  And although she definitely is symptomatic and has felt like shit, she hasn't had to be hospitalized.  Case in point, the nanny, who gave it to the kid and who we believe only got one shot, had to be hospitalized with when her O2 dropped to 60% (which sounds insane).  She is 35 years old.  Woman's husband, who had the good sense not to suck COVID directly from his daughter's head is feeling just fine.

60%??? She was still conscious

It’s called a Nasa-Kleen and it helps keep your kid out of the hospital when they have RSV or bronchiolitis. Works way better than the bulb syringe, and it is almost, almost idiot proof. If you suck snot all the way up the device, which has a catch chamber for the mucus, then you’re a special kind of person…a267fd4e1a9757fb560e2302ce43ceac.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Yeah, nose-frida is the model we have, and yes, the wife basically said if the kid had it, she was going to get it. Luckily not an issue. We also have the bulb, and it is a shovel compared to the frida’s backhoe ability. I nearly vomit every time I use it, but it works so much better.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yeah, nose-frida is the model we have, and yes, the wife basically said if the kid had it, she was going to get it. Luckily not an issue. We also have the bulb, and it is a shovel compared to the frida’s backhoe ability. I nearly vomit every time I use it, but it works so much better.

Damn, parents these days!  Hate to see what happens when Junior gets constipated.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2