COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

So wife and I got negative Covid tests.  We're both vaccinated.  We had extreme sore throats and now a dry cough the last 2 weeks.  Half my buddies are sick with the same symptoms.  Not to mention, I run into 2-3 people a day that are coughing while talking to me.  Does the Delta variant result in a covid 19 positive test?  Wonder if I have/had the delta variant or if this is a rough fucking upper respiratory issue we're having.  I work in healthcare so I feel like I generally have a pretty solid immune system being exposed to common colds so frequently, even then...  I'm never sick more than a day or two.  This has been lingering for 2+ weeks now.  

RSV?  Delta variant certainly results in a positive test.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

So wife and I got negative Covid tests.  We're both vaccinated.  We had extreme sore throats and now a dry cough the last 2 weeks.  Half my buddies are sick with the same symptoms.  Not to mention, I run into 2-3 people a day that are coughing while talking to me.  Does the Delta variant result in a covid 19 positive test?  Wonder if I have/had the delta variant or if this is a rough fucking upper respiratory issue we're having.  I work in healthcare so I feel like I generally have a pretty solid immune system being exposed to common colds so frequently, even then...  I'm never sick more than a day or two.  This has been lingering for 2+ weeks now.  

Yeah, there are two illnesses running rampant now with similar symptoms -- COVID and RSV.  I know several people who have had those symptoms and tested COVID negative lately, including my son.  We're guessing RSV for the bulk of them.

Governor Hot Wheels says "Fuck Austin".

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/08/19/covid-numbers-austin-texas-health-department-denies-aid-overflow-site/8187008002/

Texas health department denies aid request for COVID-19 care site at Travis County expo center

State officials have rejected a request from Austin-Travis County health authorities to help establish an alternative care site amid an ongoing hospital surge of COVID-19 patients.

In an unsigned email Tuesday, obtained by the American-Statesman and KVUE-TV, officials with the Texas Department of State Health Services incident command told local leaders that they currently are focused on helping to provide health care workers to hospitals.

“The priority at this time is to meet the hospital staffing needs to expand within their hospital walls,” the email said. The message was from a general incident command address and did not provide the author’s name. 

Texas rejected pleas for additional nurses, assistance. Then the COVID-19 surge hit.

In an interview, state health services spokesperson Chris Van Deusen said, “What we have found is that it is better to care for people who need hospital level care in the hospital. We want to maximize that before we move to other types of facilities.”

The response came after local officials asked the state Friday for help setting up an alternative care site in the banquet hall of the Travis County Expo Center to help hospitals. COVID-19 patients who require hospital -- but not ICU -- care would go there. 

Austin on Wednesday recorded the most ever patients in intensive care units across the area with coronavirus-related illnesses since the pandemic began last spring, according to the latest data from Austin's coronavirus dashboard.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Austin Public Health reported that 223 people were in ICUs with 145 on ventilators. In an application for assistance, local officials said they were requesting a capacity of about 50 patients with the ability to grow to 100. 

“The current capacities of the hospital system are being exceeded, causing extended wait times at the door and holding times in emergency departments for patients,” the application said. “The hospitals have postponed non-life threatening emergency surgeries in order to meet that demand. However, they are still overwhelmed.”

The Statesman reported last week that local leaders in July asked the state for hundreds of nurses to supplement hospitals in Austin and across Central Texas as the summer surge started. The state initially declined, saying Texas cities and counties had gotten about $10 billion in federal COVID-19 relief money and should use the funds for nurses. 

But last week, Gov. Greg Abbott, who tested positive for the virus Tuesday, instead announced that the state would supply up to 2,500 nurses, including about 300 in the Austin area. State officials also said last week that they would help set up and staff an infusion center at the expo center so COVID-19 patients could receive therapeutic drugs. 

The state health services agency previously have worked with local leaders to establish an alternate care site at the Austin Convention Center. 

Travis County spokesman Hector Nieto said Wednesday that local officials, including health authority Dr. Desmar Walkes, “went directly to the state of Texas with this request because they have built-in networks, institutional knowledge and leverage to negotiate the best contracts possible. 

“The state assisted us last year during a similar situation," he said, "and we had hoped we could partner with them again.”

4 hours ago, F250 said:

I was talking to some aggy friends yesterday. Their son is in the top 5% of his HS class and we were discussing college. Being polite, I commented "Well, he should already be packing his bags for College Station with those grades. He is a guaranteed admit."

They replied with "Well, we have been thinking and feel that he should have the best opportunities available for him and his future. So, we are open to sending him to tu if he gets accepted." Then they started asking questions about CAP and campus, etc...

These are die hard "Texum Fighting Jimbo gonna when a championship aggy" people. However without saying it, they admitted to the superiority of UT and treated it like they were announcing that their son was coming out of the closet. It was awesome.

A lot of aggy feel like the massive online push (which really ramped up during the pandemic) has really diminished the value of an aggy degree.  I know, I know, but seriously, plenty of them are pretty ragey that some of the higher-ups want to turn Texas A&M into the University of Phoenix-College Station.  

Ragey enough, I don't even joke with them about all of the email offers I was getting from aggy after I recently took a few classes at ACC to get back in the swing of things when deciding if my old-ass wanted to get another degree at UT.  I showed a few of them the emails and I could just imagine the steam coming out of their ears.

Some of the emails sounded like I could get an online degree through aggy without stepping foot in College Station.

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Teachers are now expected to use their sick days for when they do have COVID and if they want to quarantine.  Resulting in teachers likely coming to school when infected.

Teachers have very little PTO or whatever during the school year, and when our friends started being told they'd have to take that off if they were exposed and weren't vaccinated, they quickly got vaccinated.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A lot of aggy feel like the massive online push (which really ramped up during the pandemic) has really diminished the value of an aggy degree.  I know, I know, but seriously, plenty of them are pretty ragey that some of the higher-ups want to turn Texas A&M into the University of Phoenix-College Station.  

Ragey enough, I don't even joke with them about all of the email offers I was getting from aggy after I recently took a few classes at ACC to get back in the swing of things when deciding if my old-ass wanted to get another degree at UT.  I showed a few of them the emails and I could just imagine the steam coming out of their ears.

Some of the emails sounded like I could get an online degree through aggy without stepping foot in College Station.

i mean...you can't? 

also...the closest aggy friend i have, we were jawing about sec and bs last weekend and i did say at one point 'well y'all certainly value quantity over quality' and he said the same: "I DON'T AGREE WITH THAT BTW!"

Rick perry GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, there are two illnesses running rampant now with similar symptoms -- COVID and RSV.  I know several people who have had those symptoms and tested COVID negative lately, including my son.  We're guessing RSV for the bulk of them.

same with my GF. Hit her really hard all weekend and just today was she feeling good enough to go to work. 

38 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

As of Wednesday afternoon, Austin Public Health reported that 223 people were in ICUs with 145 on ventilators. In an application for assistance, local officials said they were requesting a capacity of about 50 patients with the ability to grow to 100. 

No need for another facility since there will probably be 70 or so ventilators that free up in the next week or so (good thing they're bringing down the refrigerated trucks).

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

I have a friend who tested positive for Coronavirus OC43 (Cold) and has had a persistent dry cough for a month.  Started with drainage, sore throat, etc. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/aph-to-restart-weekly-qa-covid-19-sessions-giving-update-at-1030-a-m/

We likely haven’t seen the peak in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in Austin-Travis County for this wave, Austin Public Health leaders announced as they restarted their weekly question-and-answer sessions regarding the area’s COVID-19 response.

As of Friday morning, the Austin-Travis County dashboard showed the seven-day rolling average of new hospitalizations appeared to be slowly dropping. With Thursday’s data in the system, there were 79 new COVID-19 admissions that dropped the average to 77. At its highest point in the most recent Stage 5 designation, the moving average was at 84 on Aug. 11.

Though COVID-19 case numbers and hospitalizations appear to be leveling off slightly, Janet Pichette, APH’s chief epidemiologist says they have a backlog of cases they still need to process, and that she anticipates schools restarting will keep case numbers, and subsequently hospitalizations, from declining. 

“We may not see the actual effect of increase in cases for another week or so,” she said of schools restarting. Pichette said it will likely take several weeks to identify hot spots in schools.

On the new case front, things are were pretty flat day over day, but still trending upwards for week over week at 753 (+12, +99 respectively).  Hospitalizations up to 620 (+2) which is a new all time high, ICU admits at 222 (+1) and vent use at 162 (+9).  Everything continuing to go the WRONG direction.  Stay safe this weekend.

image.thumb.png.05e1639dd8f5db50858bb100ab81ad04.png

image.thumb.png.ca292653a6b53a7eb9c37ff931e8ed23.png

Source - https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

• Hook 'Em 2

753 Cases in Travis County and as noted above 620 hospitalized which is one over the all time CV19 record. Crazy shit.  Just nuts to think that 95% or so of these hospitalizations and deaths were all avoidable had people just been vaccinated. It is like folks just want to roll the dice and see whether they live or die. Cases still running much lower than normal so that should bode well for deaths overall.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/20 vs 8/19 13 53 87 190 169 99 76 46 15 5 753
% of Daily Change 1.73% 7.04% 11.55% 25.23% 22.44% 13.15% 10.09% 6.11% 1.99% 0.66%  
% of Total Cases 0.69% 4.68% 10.77% 25.97% 20.90% 14.77% 10.88% 6.37% 3.05% 1.93%  
  • Hook 'Em 4

Welp - I spoke to soon re: deaths as there were 12 the week ending Aug 20. In spite of cases skewing younger There were 6 cases in the 70+ categories. This is the highest single week for deaths since April 17th week end.

The deaths break down as follows:

20 to 29 (1)

30 to 39 (1)

40 to 49 (2)

50 to 59 (2)

70 to 79 (2)

80+ (4)

• Rage+1 1

Are there any numbers being reported daily on vax vs not vax for cases, hospitalizations and deaths, or do we just get occasional non-sourced nugget like "97% of all deaths are non vaxed people".  

Also- is it pretty much 100% delta?  Or is the OG 'Rona still around?

I ask out of curiosity to quantify how much safer I am having the vax vs how we went through last year, unvaxxed.  Thanks, I will hang up and listen.  

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Are there any numbers being reported daily on vax vs not vax for cases, hospitalizations and deaths, or do we just get occasional non-sourced nugget like "97% of all deaths are non vaxed people".  

I ask out of curiosity to quantify how much safer I am having the vax vs how we went through last year, unvaxxed.  Thanks, I will hang up and listen.  

This is what I really want to see, especially for Texas -- show me the numbers for each category, vaxxed vs. unvaxxed.

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is what I really want to see, especially for Texas -- show me the numbers for each category, vaxxed vs. unvaxxed.

Agree I don't know why we aren't doing a better job of this for every major city.  I randomly saw Lubbock updates hospitalizations daily including vaccinated hospitalized but have looked for that data in Dallas and haven't seen.  

https://ci.lubbock.tx.us/COVID19

Was out running errands today in Dallas over by a drive up COVID testing place on an old gas station pad site at Northwest Highway and Abrams.  I can recall driving by there a few weeks/maybe a month ago and it looked totally abandoned.  I remember thinking then that they must have closed down due to no more demand.  Holy shit.  When I drove by today around 1:00 there must have been at least 50 cars in a double line that snaked and stretched around their site, out into the right most lane of Abrams and then continued on the right most lane of Northwest Highway at that intersection.  It reminded me of the brief gas shortage from a couple of years back.  

Edited by mdleast
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

52 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ny times did a vax v unvax hospitalized for a 7 state area and found 12 to 24% vaxed. UK head said 40% vaxed. I'd have to estimate it's probably 20 to 25 faxed but I'd also guess vaxed have shorter stays.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

753 Cases in Travis County and as noted above 620 hospitalized which is one over the all time CV19 record. Crazy shit.  Just nuts to think that 95% or so of these hospitalizations and deaths were all avoidable had people just been vaccinated. It is like folks just want to roll the dice and see whether they live or die. Cases still running much lower than normal so that should bode well for deaths overall.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 8/20 vs 8/19 13 53 87 190 169 99 76 46 15 5 753
% of Daily Change 1.73% 7.04% 11.55% 25.23% 22.44% 13.15% 10.09% 6.11% 1.99% 0.66%  
% of Total Cases 0.69% 4.68% 10.77% 25.97% 20.90% 14.77% 10.88% 6.37% 3.05% 1.93%  

The last five days are on par with the January peak. Covid new case numbers peaked on January 13. The five-day averages around that peak are:

Jan 10-14: 704.8

Jan 11-15: 842.8

Jan 12-16: 710.8

Jan 13-17: 791.4

Jan 14-18: 636.4

There’s some weirdness due to days that report zero cases. 

Anyway, compare those numbers to the average for the past five days (Aug 16-20): 791. People should absolutely be taking this  Delta spike far more seriously than they are. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Ny times did a vax v unvax hospitalized for a 7 state area and found 12 to 24% vaxed. UK head said 40% vaxed. I'd have to estimate it's probably 20 to 25 faxed but I'd also guess vaxed have shorter stays.

Can you link that article? I'm curious if they included age info for the vaxxed hospitalizations

36 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Was out running errands today in Dallas over by a drive up COVID testing place on an old gas station pad site at Northwest Highway and Abrams.  I can recall driving by there a few weeks/maybe a month ago and it looked totally abandoned.  I remember thinking then that they must have closed down due to no more demand.  Holy shit.  When I drove by today around 1:00 there must have been at least 50 cars in a double line that snaked and stretched around their site, out into the right most lane of Abrams and then continued on the right most lane of Northwest Highway at that intersection.  It reminded me of the brief gas shortage from a couple of years back.  

Did you at least stop at Keller’s for a #5?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

People should absolutely be taking this  Delta spike far more seriously than they are. 

Man on the street:  Went by Central Market Westgate yesterday evening and there were no masking signs up at any of the doors I saw, not even the "mask recommended" type.  Mask wearing was at about 50% in the store-non employee.  They had a big band playing in the cafe for the olds, but it was pretty dead in there compared to a couple of weeks ago.  Austin is bad right now and people are not getting the message.

14 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

People should absolutely be taking this  Delta spike far more seriously than they are. 

Remember those nature shows where a Wildebeest calf gets eaten by hyenas and momma is upset but the rest of the herd looks at the commotion and goes back to grazing? That’s where we are at right now.

The general public does not have the capacity to remain hyper vigilant or be inconvenienced for too long. A majority of our society has never had to mentally endure something of this scale and has never been trained to work through hardships. And our leadership, except for some at the local levels has no capacity or abilities  to lead us through this and is counter productive by utilizing this crisis for personal gain in many cases. 

Couple that with almost complete dysfunction of critical thinking skills exacerbated by asshats on social media, then ta-dah! No F’s given.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, mdleast said:

I saw that last week and thought it was for the hood Mcdonald's on abrams LOL. Wish I'd have thought of that

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

The way the math and probabilities work, the larger the percentage of a population that is vaxed, the higher the percentage of hospitalized patients that are vaxed.  I live in Victoria, and the health authority here indicated that 98 percent of the people admitted to our two hospitals are unvaccinated.  This is because Victoria is lagging behind the state, that is lagging behind the country, that is lagging behind Europe.  Isreal has the highest percentage of vaxed hospitalizations simply because they lead the world in vaccinations.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

The way the math and probabilities work, the larger the percentage of a population that is vaxed, the higher the percentage of hospitalized patients that are vaxed.  I live in Victoria, and the health authority here indicated that 98 percent of the people admitted to our two hospitals are unvaccinated.  This is because Victoria is lagging behind the state, that is lagging behind the country, that is lagging behind Europe.  Isreal has the highest percentage of vaxed hospitalizations simply because they lead the world in vaccinations.   

That’s why it’s important to also know the hospitalization rate per capita as well as the vax rate.  I would guess that places with high vaccination rates aren’t having their hospital systems overwhelmed either.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thats it.  I was only referencing their data that showed 12 to 24% of vaxed hospitalized in the 7 states.

Lubbock's numbers are 180 hospitalized, only 12 vaxxed.  So, 6.6% vaccinated, 93.4% unvaccinated - which matches up with their very low vaccination rate.

And yep, when your population is highly vaxxed, then the percentage of the hospitalized population that is vaxxed will be higher......but the total NUMBER of hospitalized (and thus, the percentage of the total population that is hospitalized), will be LOWER.

Antivaxxers are very, very, very bad at math.  It is their foundational characteristic.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It's like Covid is a fan of a new band.  That band is playing a concert at your body.  This therapeutic theoretically puts the bands worst song on the radio, makes it popular, and gives lots of new fans who only know that one song free tickets to the concert and a ride.  Your Friday analogy.

https://scitechdaily.com/fighting-covid-with-covid-driving-the-disease-to-extinction-with-a-defective-version-of-the-sars-cov-2-virus/

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/us/orlando-residents-reduce-water-liquid-oxygen-covid-patients/index.html

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer is asking residents to conserve water because liquid oxygen, used to treat the community's water supply, is needed to treat the surge of Covid-19 patients in the community. 

"Nationally, the demand for liquid oxygen is extremely high as the priority for its use is to save lives," the mayor said in a Facebook post on Friday.

To reduce demand, the Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC) asked customers to immediately limit watering their lawns and landscapes, take short showers, repair leaking faucets and toilets, stop washing their vehicles and performing "non-critical activities" like pressure washing, the municipal utility said in a notice.

Take this for what it's worth, but we had to call EMS for my wife's grandmother last week due to difficulty breathing and other symptoms that were COVID-like.  She stated to the paramedics something along the lines of "There's no way I have COVID, I've been vaxxed!" [/old lady voice]. Their response was "Ma'am, we've taken more vaccinated patients to the ER than unvaccinnated".  This is in my little slice of suburban DFW.  It turns out she tested negative either way.

5 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Remember those nature shows where a Wildebeest calf gets eaten by hyenas and momma is upset but the rest of the herd looks at the commotion and goes back to grazing? That’s where we are at right now.

The general public does not have the capacity to remain hyper vigilant or be inconvenienced for too long. A majority of our society has never had to mentally endure something of this scale and has never been trained to work through hardships. And our leadership, except for some at the local levels has no capacity or abilities  to lead us through this and is counter productive by utilizing this crisis for personal gain in many cases. 

Couple that with almost complete dysfunction of critical thinking skills exacerbated by asshats on social media, then ta-dah! No F’s given.

I get pissed here and there but essentially I'm at the you had your chance, you blew it point not to mention you're an idiot and I'm not spending time arguing with you trying to change your mind.  I do feel bad for the ragged and weary health care workers but frankly to the group that is causing all of this doctors and nurses are not a group that is gonna get a lot of sympathy or empathy (highly educated, very well compensated in the grand scheme of things....everything that those idiots fear and loathe) So I feel bad for them but realize that is also not a winning argument.  They just need to get it, get over it or die and everybody is gonna have to put their heads down and push through the bullshit of the dumb masses.   

1 hour ago, Assman said:

Take this for what it's worth, but we had to call EMS for my wife's grandmother last week due to difficulty breathing and other symptoms that were COVID-like.  She stated to the paramedics something along the lines of "There's no way I have COVID, I've been vaxxed!" [/old lady voice]. Their response was "Ma'am, we've taken more vaccinated patients to the ER than unvaccinnated".  This is in my little slice of suburban DFW.  It turns out she tested negative either way.

Based on actual data points and not anecdotal stories, don't think it's worth much.

Hope your wife's grandmother is feeling better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

These numbers are useless without knowing the local rates of vaccination.

• Hook 'Em 3