2020 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES: Joe Biden vs Donald Trump

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

You know, I'm really looking forward to the inevitable behind-the-scenes tic-toc that we're going to see one day of the Trump campaign's reactions to that debate as it unfolded.  They have some actual professionals on that campaign who know how to get candidates elected.  And I have to imagine that they were pulling their hair out the entire time.

I mean, look at Chris Christie, who did some of his debate prep.  Christie couldn't have been happy with what he was watching.

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That was exactly my take away.  "somebody's got to do something" is a clear directive to fuck shit up.

Yep.  Stand back and stand by means:  "I, as your leader, command you to do nothing at the moment.  If I say go, then you go.  If I go down, then you go."

Biden is probably going to win and Trump may or may not concede.  Either way, the Proud Boys from Brazil are going to raise holy hell.

I can't imagine that Trump would care.  After all, Biden could call ANY show right now, and get all the airtime he wants.   Does anybody think that Maddow, Cooper, Tapper, etc. would turn down Joe Biden?  How about Shepard Smith?  He'd be happy kicking off his new show with Biden. 

How many of those people simultaneously broadcast on every network during prime time?

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yep.  Stand back and stand by means:  "I, as your leader, command you to do nothing at the moment.  If I say go, then you go.  If I go down, then you go."

Biden is probably going to win and Trump may or may not concede.  Either way, the Proud Boys from Brazil are going to raise holy hell.

And in case anybody thinks they are just "far right", here is the founder advocating violence...and murder.

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/in-video-founder-of-proud-boys-praises-violence-particularly-strangulation-m9tTpaVb5k-GZk5gTWuqDg

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

And in case anybody thinks they are just "far right", here is the founder advocating violence...and murder.

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/in-video-founder-of-proud-boys-praises-violence-particularly-strangulation-m9tTpaVb5k-GZk5gTWuqDg

I will have to give Trump credit.  He has firmly established a context where pretty much everyone could justifiably feel like they need an assault rifle to defend themselves and their family from hate groups or a tyrannical government.

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’ve found the “But he has a hot wife!” thing is surprisingly common.  Even in 2016, before he had failed and before that was about the only complimentary thing his supporters could even grasp at straws to mention, I was still shocked at what a big deal that was to some guys I would run across.  

I remember being at a party while the 2016 Republican primaries were ongoing, and the subject turned to Trump.  Two guys who must have been 50+ years old and fairly wealthy just started talking about how awesome it would be to have a hot First Lady.  And it wasn’t even a shot at the Obamas.   They just legitimately thought that was awesome and somehow important enough to be the first thing you think of about a presidential candidate.  It was like we were electing a middle school class president or something. 

tl;dr - Trump supporters have bizarre priorities.

yeah, so that's a perfect example of racist code-talking. after trump's election (i think it was inauguration), one of my facebook friends (female, no pics) made a post saying something about "i don't care what anyone says, how nice it is to have a first lady with real class again!"

i was shocked, and i wasn't the only one. jesus, you don't have to like obama's policies or whatever, but you cannot call michelle out for a lack of class. she's got class for days. when she got called out, she ended up deleting her post, because it was so indefensible. then i realized, wow, she's racist. that's racist code-talking. 

(and melania isn't even that hot. there was a time, before her face got all scrunchy, but donald has completely managed to remove any soul she may have once had. she's miserable, and it's really taking its toll)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mole said:

I watched five minutes and felt sad and sick. I avoid unhinged Trump as much as possible, so it was a shock to my system. It was so in-your-face last night.

It left me with a profound sense of grief. Our country is so ill, and it only seems to get worse.

All of this.  It really fucked with me.  I've been off all day.

2 hours ago, Mole said:

True, people do love a good spectacle, but it’s a little different when someone shouts “Worldstar!” in your living room. I watched five minutes and felt sad and sick. I avoid unhinged Trump as much as possible, so it was a shock to my system. It was so in-your-face last night.

It left me with a profound sense of grief. Our country is so ill, and it only seems to get worse. I’m a veteran and the country I served is dead. I’m a Christian and the American church’s witness and standing is dead. It gave up being a force for good for worldly power. The scandal of the evangelical mind (that there isn’t much of one) has spread to the heart.

Things that are so very important to me and my values were being mocked and satirized by that almost demonic display. And people I love and care about seem ok with it. 

That was all true before last night, but it was a cold hard smack of reality last night. It’s one thing to intellectually understand it; it’s another to have it happen in your living room. 

The conservatives in my life who “like his policies” were publicly horrified. You don’t get full on Trump unless you seek it out. You can “support his policies” and stay insulated from him. I don’t know if they’ll have the stomach for a round two; I don’t think I will. I’m glad I already voted Biden.

I completely agree about the personal response regarding what it means for the US. Profoundly agree. 

I still couldn't take my eyes off it. 

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’ve found the “But he has a hot wife!” thing is surprisingly common.  Even in 2016, before he had failed and before that was about the only complimentary thing his supporters could even grasp at straws to mention, I was still shocked at what a big deal that was to some guys I would run across.  

I remember being at a party while the 2016 Republican primaries were ongoing, and the subject turned to Trump.  Two guys who must have been 50+ years old and fairly wealthy just started talking about how awesome it would be to have a hot First Lady.  And it wasn’t even a shot at the Obamas.   They just legitimately thought that was awesome and somehow important enough to be the first thing you think of about a presidential candidate.  It was like we were electing a middle school class president or something. 

tl;dr - Trump supporters have bizarre priorities.

bloomberg--vanity-fair-cocktail-receptio

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can’t believe this is true. Because Trump isn’t that smart and Miller isn’t that stupid. I struggle to believe this real. 

Yeah.  I'm not sure now.  I don't think there's verification elsewhere of the term.  That said, the line seemed prepared, and Miller has sadly introduced me to a slew of terms used by white supremacists.

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can’t believe this is true. Because Trump isn’t that smart and Miller isn’t that stupid. I struggle to believe this real. 

I don’t know if it’s true, but it’s exactly something the type of people who made an ok hand sign a fascist troll would do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Trump literally tweeted out a 14 word tweet just three months ago.  

His right hand man, other than Bill Barr and Kushner, is a well documented white nationalist. He knows the code. This has been a five alarm fire going off constantly over the last five years. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 1

You can tell that Trump was fumbling his words when Wallace challenged him to denounce white supremacists. The fact that he couldn't just say it himself without being led on what to say is proof the Proud Boys stuff wasn't premeditated. He wasn't going to denounce them because he needs them. But he wasn't signaling anything other than he's fine with having racists support him. Hell, it's most of his damn platform. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You can tell that Trump was fumbling his words when Wallace challenged him to denounce white supremacists. The fact that he couldn't just say it himself without being led on what to say is proof the Proud Boys stuff wasn't premeditated. He wasn't going to denounce them because he needs them. But he wasn't signaling anything other than he's fine with having racists support him. Hell, it's most of his damn platform. 

I don't know about premeditated exactly, but he's been coached with that phrase enough that it sticks in his brain. That's the way his brain works you know...like a windmill that causes cancer, the nasty things keep spinning around until he utters them.

Trump literally tweeted out a 14 word, 88 character tweet just three months ago.  
His right hand man, other than Bill Barr and Kushner, is a well documented white nationalist. He knows the code. This has been a five alarm fire going off constantly over the last five years. 

No way I’m going to count all the characters. Put numbers up on top.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That guy did the same thing to some other anchor yesterday. Fucking douchebag. 

I have noticed when any Trump minion is interviewed on npr they begin their talking points as soon as a question is asked (talking points may or may not pertain to the question asked), and they talk in rapid fire sentences not even pausing for a full breath, preventing the interviewer from challenging the answer or asking any follow ups. The interviewers need to get rude with them every time they pull that shit

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Chris Cuomo and Ted Cruz have been having their own shit show interview/debate.   Both of them are acting like asses, but:

1. Holy shit, Cruz is possibly the slimiest person in Washington, which is quite an accomplishment.  He must be the most emasculated Trump ball licker of them all.

2. Journalists are taking the gloves off.  The GOP is going to take the media bias claims up to 11.  In some ways they’re right, but ultimately what decent person wouldn’t be biased against the GOP’s lying shitheel ways?  They deserve to be confronted and run through the ringer with adversarial  interviews if they’re going to be blatant liars who try to defend the indefensible.

I watched it all. Didn’t know where to post about it. 

Its obvious those two have their own rivalry/issues, which they referenced. I hate Ted Cruz like I hate Oklahoma but he held his own. Which make his giant gash and willingness to roll over ever more baffling. You’d think he’d be salivating for the chance to stab Trump in the dick and break free. But nope. 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Its obvious those two have their own rivalry/issues, which they referenced. I hate Ted Cruz like I hate Oklahoma but he held his own. Which make his giant gash and willingness to roll over ever more baffling. You’d think he’d be salivating for the chance to stab Trump in the dick and break free. But nope. 

Don't underestimate the willingness of a person to deface themselves in hopes of one more round at the table. Cruz sold out long ago. He smelled the shit coming at him and he didn't want to be Jeb. He lets Trump piss on him anytime it's necessary. 

He has no spine, but he knows where his bread is buttered.

Edited by cactusflinthead

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

2. Journalists are taking the gloves off.  The GOP is going to take the media bias claims up to 11.  In some ways they’re right, but ultimately what decent person wouldn’t be biased against the GOP’s lying shitheel ways?  They deserve to be confronted and run through the ringer with adversarial  interviews if they’re going to be blatant liars who try to defend the indefensible.

Is anything really different at the moment than they have been for the last 3+ years (and much longer).

The media (whether you want to define it broadly or narrowly) is an absolute abortion. You really have to try to drill down as close as possible to actual source materials and run it through your own filter. Everything we are being fed is intended to manipulate and influence us. Truth and transparency is dead all around.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I have noticed when any Trump minion is interviewed on npr they begin their talking points as soon as a question is asked (talking points may or may not pertain to the question asked), and they talk in rapid fire sentences not even pausing for a full breath, preventing the interviewer from challenging the answer or asking any follow ups. The interviewers need to get rude with them every time they pull that shit

Yep. It’s a deliberate strategy. 

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ted Cruz probably secretly hates Trump but he’s a true ideological believer in authoritarian patriarchal white supremacy. He wants to be the authoritarian and thinks he still can be, so long as he can play the lickspittle long enough to make the tubes forget about his prior disloyalty.

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is anything really different at the moment than they have been for the last 3+ years (and much longer).

The media (whether you want to define it broadly or narrowly) is an absolute abortion. You really have to try to drill down as close as possible to actual source materials and run it through your own filter. Everything we are being fed is intended to manipulate and influence us. Truth and transparency is dead all around.  

Oh so...both sides?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It’s the fault of the media that the GOP lies its ass off. 

Got it. thanks professor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

No no no, it's the darn MEDIAS fault for making mcconnell and the rest of the republican party destroy norms and change rules arbitrarily. And the democrats are just as bad, or something. 

Actually, it’s totally your fault Anastasis is full of shit. Since you acknowledge his existence.

Sorry. Its just logic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1