The Trump + Covid thread

Gil Bang

This.  It's a complete disaster.  They've been  ushering Amy Comey Barrett to meet with half the GOP caucus this week.  There's no telling how far this thing is spreading.  If I were Pelosi, I'd immediately send the house home.
Can't. If they don't get this next round of stimulus through before election, airlines are laying off mid 5 figures worth of people, the PPP forgiveness guidelines are still up in the air for a final determination with first payments coming due in November and December, and the market will tank when people won't be getting a second round of direct payments. House is going nowhere. Gotta get to an agreement with the White House on it and force Mitch to either vote or deny even his own constituents further relief.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
12 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:
This.  It's a complete disaster.  They've been  ushering Amy Comey Barrett to meet with half the GOP caucus this week.  There's no telling how far this thing is spreading.  If I were Pelosi, I'd immediately send the house home.

Can't. If they don't get this next round of stimulus through before election, airlines are laying off mid 5 figures worth of people, the PPP forgiveness guidelines are still up in the air for a final determination with first payments coming due in November and December, and the market will tank when people won't be getting a second round of direct payments. House is going nowhere. Gotta get to an agreement with the White House on it and force Mitch to either vote or deny even his own constituents further relief.

How and why in the fuck are we still meeting in person in this country during the largest pandemic in over 100 years. An airborne spread one at that?

Play stupid games indeed

26 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

This.  When I woke up on August 1 with fever I actually worked Monday through Wednesday of the following week and thought that it wasn't bad.

By the next week I wanted to die.

Granted I had a bad case, but anecdotally I would suspect Trump to be out of his mind with fever this time next week.

So just another Friday?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, miguelito said:

COVID aside, my takeaway from the first tweet is that the President of the USA had 1 scheduled event today, and it was a phone call. 

I think last night they reported that his schedule was being cleared today with the exception of this phone call.

This appears to be a second schedule revision in 12 hours.

I'm guessing either the "mild symptoms" are worse than reported, or he's in full freakout mode with his diagnosis and they don't want him making a public appearance today.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, miguelito said:

COVID aside, my takeaway from the first tweet is that the President of the USA had 1 scheduled event today, and it was a phone call. 

He had other events I believe but they were cancelled. According to his public calendar, he was supposed to host a fundraiser/roundtable with supporters at Trump DC--it was cancelled. Then he was scheduled to fly to Florida for an little rally at the airport. I wonder if the DC hotel has already sent the bill to the WH  for the event since it is less than 24 hours cancellation? Ah, nevermind, we all know: yes, yes it has.

Edit-what @Grade of D as in David said

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

17 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How and why in the fuck are we still meeting in person in this country during the largest pandemic in over 100 years. An airborne spread one at that?

Play stupid games indeed

This.  There's no reason Pelosi and Mnuchin can't zoom a deal, have the House vote by proxy, and let Mitch and the Senator's literally die on the hill of voting in person if they want.

Jesus christ, I negotiated some compromise language for the NDAA this morning on the phone.  This isn't rocket surgery.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

The most powerful and protected man in America caught COVID 6 months into the pandemic. The only way this is possible is by rejecting preventative measures. Fuck him. 

Debates are over. 

His rallies are (probably) over. 

If I'm Biden's team, I immediately cancel any future scheduling of being within 500 yards of Trump or anyone from his administration. It's a literal national security risk at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

One of the COVID experts--if the event that these folks were contracting the virus was the Rose Garden event on the 26, and we're about 5 days (yesterday) when the folks began to get tested, will there be a few more days where the negative attendees ought to get a retest or make sure it's a PCR test?

The most powerful and protected man in America caught COVID 6 months into the pandemic. The only way this is possible is by rejecting preventative measures. Fuck him. 

Debates are over. 

If I'm Biden's team, I immediately cancel any future scheduling of being within 500 yards of Trump or anyone from his administration. It's a literal national security risk at this point. 

Come to think of it, this is Biden's out if he doesn't want to do that nonsense two more times. He would have looked like a chump just backing out, but now he can just say "I don't trust Trump or his team's behavior and handling of Covid, I want nowhere near him". Or something more witty and pithy to both avoid another shit show debate and dunk on Trump.

Good point you made.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Debates are over. 

Somebody get Biden a Cartman 6 ft stick.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, horn4life said:

There is only one certainty, in this time of complete uncertainty...

Mike Pence woke up with the biggest boner he has had in nearly 20 years this morning....

Why? Did he score backstage passes to the Thunder Down Under grand reopening in Vegas? 

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol, she gave it to them!

If ACB ends up taking  out Trump, Mitch and even a handful of the GOP senators she just finished visiting, she will have my full support as long as they promise to sit her next to Clarence Thomas

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Come to think of it, this is Biden's out if he doesn't want to do that nonsense two more times. He would have looked like a chump just backing out, but now he can just say "I don't trust Trump or his team's behavior and handling of Covid, I want nowhere near him". Or something more witty and pithy to both avoid another shit show debate and dunk on Trump.

Good point you made.

I think that's exactly what's going to happen.  We're not having any more debates.

Oh, Biden has the absolute right to say "nope, this is life and death stuff and the Trump team and family have shown to be nothing but reckless and dangerous. I'm not exposing my team and family to more of that". Something like that anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think that's exactly what's going to happen.  We're not having any more debates.

The boss move is to make Trump beg off.  Talk a bunch of shit about not wanting to be exposed to his dumb ass or any of his cronies, demand it go forward virtually.  No way trump will allow himself on camera coughing and sniffling

• Hook 'Em 2

Just have the debates as scheduled, but require trump to stand in a quarantine booth on the stage.

This one would not only allow him to refer to his notes (hahaha!) and gesture with his hands, but it would also give his hands the same skin tone as his face, so win-win:

A quarantine booth at the Santa Ana... - european pressphoto agency |  Facebook

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Obviously too early to tell, but there's a legitimate chance that Trump's campaigning just ended. 

Every hour that passes without him being in public or on the trail is absolutely devastating to his chances. You love to see it. 

And with no money to run television ads, that means the campaign just ended.  The only real campaigning he had the money to do was to fly around in a government plane (for which he's supposed to reimburse the government, but this is Trump) doing rallies.  And now that's done.

I don't really exaggerate when I say that Biden should go back to Delaware, quarantine for the next month, and spend those hundreds of millions of dollars he has on ads.  He can do virtual town halls and events.  But there's absolutely no reason to expose him to danger at this point.

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

And with no money to run television ads, that means the campaign just ended.  The only real campaigning he had the money to do was to fly around in a government plane (for which he's supposed to reimburse the government, but this is Trump) doing rallies.  And now that's done.

I don't really exaggerate when I say that Biden should go back to Delaware, quarantine for the next month, and spend those hundreds of millions of dollars he has on ads.  He can do virtual town halls and events.  But there's absolutely no reason to expose him to danger at this point.

Just now, SizzleChest said:

Joe just got on a plane bound for Michigan. 

Joe's going for the jugular.  Or juggler.  Or Juggalos.  One or more of those.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I hear ya. But Joe and his team are taking the right precautions. At least for now, video of Biden on the campaign trail while Trump is lying sick in bed is a contrast that needs to be amplified. 

• immamac changed the title to The Trump + Covid thread