Things not going well for Netflix: Cuties

Parliament

16 minutes ago, futureman said:

so what is it about?  child sex trade?

Apparently it’s about how media/culture influences a group of girls to dance & dress slutty because they want to be like their favorite pop stars. Culminates in some dance competition where the main girl realizes the error of that lifestyle and chooses to go back to a more innocent childhood. I guess people have a problem with the shots used and the journey to the lesson. 

Haven’t watched to judge if outrage is justified for myself, movie sounds boring as fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Apparently it’s about how media/culture influences a group of girls to dance & dress slutty because they want to be like their favorite pop stars. Culminates in some dance competition where the main girl realizes the error of that lifestyle and chooses to go back to a more innocent childhood. I guess people have a problem with the shots used and the journey to the lesson. 

Haven’t watched to judge if outrage is justified for myself, movie sounds boring as fuck. 

So YouTube is in trouble.   And whatever networks have those Honey Boo Boo dance or beauty pageant shows or whatever.   

i watched a youtube recap of the movie and couldn't even finish that. they have actual prepubescent girls out there dry humping the ground and doing moves that you normally only see in a strip club. i can't even fathom how anyone could sit down and watch it. it was extremely sexual, and i don't understand how anyone who isn't an actual child predator could stomach to watch it. 

Edited by shadow_operative

I haven’t watched it and don’t plan to.  But either the director, Sundance, and all the critics are lying, or these people are typical peabrained pearl clutchers who get off on being upset.  

I’d bet on the latter whipped into a relative frenzy by opportunists.

And you kid yourself if you think Netflix isn’t loving this.  The tiny “backlash cancellation” thing never amounted to anything, and some indie movie that they paid nothing for was a huge ratings hit. 

I understand the point of the movie is to feature how social media and other pressures sexualize young girls - art imitates life as opposed to the other way around. 

I'm sure there are plenty of dance teams and cheer squads in Tyler in which the girls started wearing bright red lipstick and makeup at the age of 3 then started dancing more and more suggestively to the point that they look like pole dancers.

My daughters wanted to do dance in preschool.  First recital and the girls are up on stage with bright red lipstick.  Fuck that shit - that was the last recital.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

The elected DA of Tyler County, who indicted this ridiculous case, is this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Babin

Also known as Spider from School of Rock:

spacer.png

I'm not surprised at all that he's not smart enough to understand how stupid this is.  Or he understands exactly how stupid this is but is a brilliant political strategist and this will guarantee him re-election.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Continental Op said:

OP is way behind on his dumbfuck outrage of the month horseshit that he likes to pepper the boards with.  Everyone was mad about this and forgot about it months ago except for these yokels.

Yeah, I remember the "things not going well for Dan Bilzerian thread. Dude is traveling the world with a harem of hotties and spending other peoples money. He and netflix are both doing alright. 

It's bothersome how quick some of you are to defend borderline pedophilia. Just like it's bothersome how quick people are to defend Trump's sexual assault allegations. 

But, not surprising since we have a thread calling Qanon "batshit crazy". I get it though, ignorance is bliss. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, TriStone said:

I think murder is bad, so I'm going to make a snuff film so that people will be able to see that murder is bad.  That's Cuties in a nutshell.

I think Salmonella Heidelberg is bad, so I am going to watch Frontline to learn more about it.  I think Adolph Hitler is bad, so I used to watch a network dedicated to showing how bad he was.     I think child rape is bad, I saw an episode on Bacci Bazra (or however the fuck it is spelled) and learned about a practice banned by the Taliban in Afghanistan.   I think crime is bad, I watched Law and Order.  

Your logic is astounding in its simplicity.   While I believe that the beauty of Little Miss Sunshine was the relationships between the characters and their journey, the icing on the cake was the uncomfortable and horrifying dance recital and was a commentary on the directors vison of these which was really just a more overt version of the titillations that was already present within the pageant and society and the pressure upon young women to fit into this mold and to the men who enable either passively or directly. 

While I have not seen this show, I would be remiss to judge something based on the comments of others.  Ishtar/Waterworld are not nearly as horrid as they were made out to be, and given the opportunity to watch Citizen Kane or Point Break, there is a clear winner (though the former is a 'better film' and the latter has more rewatchability").   Holy shit, I hear there are decaffinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing. 

Edited by Nivek
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

The elected DA of Tyler County, who indicted this ridiculous case, is this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Babin

Also known as Spider from School of Rock:

spacer.png

I'm not surprised at all that he's not smart enough to understand how stupid this is.  Or he understands exactly how stupid this is but is a brilliant political strategist and this will guarantee him re-election.

wow. just wow. i love that movie, and i'm a little bit in shock right now finding out that fucking Spider is the DA of Tyler County. just wow. 

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's bothersome how quick some of you are to defend borderline pedophilia. Just like it's bothersome how quick people are to defend Trump's sexual assault allegations. 

But, not surprising since we have a thread calling Qanon "batshit crazy". I get it though, ignorance is bliss. 

Because it is batshit crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This crossed through my consciousness a few months ago.  I saw an article about it, thought "Man, that's fucked up", and moved on with life.  The reason I'm rolling my eyes and making the jerkoff hand sign about OP is that I'd be willing to bet good money there's a not insignificant portion of the electorate that put whoever this rep is in power who have children who they allow to participate in creepy hypersexualized pageants and dance competitions without a trace of irony.  

As far as Qanon goes I'm sure that JFK Jr will be back anytime now, little buddy.  

Edited by Continental Op

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i watched a youtube recap of the movie and couldn't even finish that. they have actual prepubescent girls out there dry humping the ground and doing moves that you normally only see in a strip club. i can't even fathom how anyone could sit down and watch it. it was extremely sexual, and i don't understand how anyone who isn't an actual child predator could stomach to watch it. 

Never been to a child pageant, eh?  Those things are a pedophile's wet dream (see Frank Reynold's Little Beauties).  They're also largely populated by the same folk now outraged at a movie they've never seen.  Sadly, it's been a thing since long before Netflix sent out DVDs in the mail.

image.png.fda79d699f5a8d61790e7b9c6a62c7ea.png

OP is doing what he does best, spouting off without any knowledge of that which he speaks.  The movie is a condemnation of the hyper-sexualization of pre-pubescent girls.  Not that the typical shoot first, load later folks would ever understand such nuance.  Always looking for the next book to burn, regardless of the content.

it doesn't matter what story they're trying to tell it blows past the line of decency.    

And there it is. 

"I didn't see it.  I don't care what the director/writer/producers are trying to do.  I don't like the idea.  Burn it."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

And there it is. 

"I didn't see it.  I don't care what the director/writer/producers are trying to do.  I don't like the idea.  Burn it."

"don't judge a movie by its preview".  you're really gonna die on that hill?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

As far as Qanon goes I'm sure that JFK Jr will be back anytime now, little buddy.  

Nah. He's kind of a gullible nutjob seeking attention. Anyone that is big on the 5G conspiracy is a moron.

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

I'd be willing to bet good money there's a not insignificant portion of the electorate that put whoever this rep is in power who have children who they allow to participate in creepy hypersexualized pageants and dance competitions without a trace of irony.  

I wouldn't be surprised. Such is the American political landscape in 2020. I just don't think sexualization of minors or pedophelia tolerance should be a partisan issue. 

Like gsoda said, I don't need to watch the entire film to know that the promotion was hamhanded and misguided.

5 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

"judge a movie by its preview"  Guess you are gonna die on that hill.

most people wouldn't need to watch the entire 90 minutes to figure out something's obscene.  you're either intentionally being obtuse or starkly honest in that you can't make up your mind from a preview.  

There’s a place for art that challenges us and makes us confront the other uncomfortable reality of the oversexualizing and exploitation of young girls. Communicating that message by sexually exploiting young girls is a bit of a disconnect. 

Of course, that’s separate from challenging the legality of the movie, which seems like a huge stretch.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, this DA is probably going to score some points with lawnorder idiots in Tyler, despite the fact that this case is going nowhere near a trial.

Some judge that's going to have to kick the case on First Amendment grounds is probably going to be pissed.  In fact, the trial judge is probably going to refuse to kick the indictment and make the Court of Appeals do it.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, this DA is probably going to score some points with lawnorder idiots in Tyler, despite the fact that this case is going nowhere near a trial.

Some judge that's going to have to kick the case on First Amendment grounds is probably going to be pissed.  In fact, the trial judge is probably going to refuse to kick the indictment and make the Court of Appeals do it.

I support the idea of a company being brought to trial after they were decided to be people by a bunch of idiotic justices.  

4 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

my wife put it on when it came out not knowing anything about it.

I tapped out after the scene where the 12 y/o girl bends over in tiny biker shorts and graphically stokes her crotch with her finger. 

Unbelievable folks in this thread are defending this piece of trash.  I refuse to watch it, because I'm not watching girls my daughter's age doing the above, but by many descriptions it's a pedo flick acting as an "educational" film.  Fucking morons in this thread are too cool for school, I guess