Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

Gigem247
  •  

A few things (long post

•  
  • Carter Karels
    Posted on 11 hrs, V I P, User Since 70 months ago, User Post Count: 427

I have been hesitant to weigh in on this whole ERob thing, because it is a weird situation and there is more that goes into it than you might think. But the uproar has been loud and there are some things that need to be addressed and clarified.

Here is what I have gathered, with some context/backstory added at the beginning as a refresher (and stay tuned for some transfer portal updates at the bottom):

The backstory

After firing Jimbo Fisher last month, the Aggies promoted Robinson to interim head coach. The move made a lot of sense. The players love Robinson and quickly bought into the idea of him in that role. And at the time, the move helped stabilize the A&M team during chaotic circumstances.

Beyond this season, though, the Aggies did not see Robinson as more than a defensive line coach. They never considered him when searching for their new head coach and ultimately hired Mike Elko on Nov. 26. Then, Elko passed on the idea of making Robinson his defensive coordinator.

A&M obviously wanted to keep Robinson. There were talks about retaining him as DL coach and making him the highest-paid non-coordinator in college football. But the Aggies could not have predicted that Syracuse would hire Fran Brown as its head coach, which was announced on Nov. 28. Brown quickly looked to add Robinson as his defensive coordinator and did so.

Even though Robinson would be making way, way, way less money with the Orange, the opportunity intrigued him. He is close friends with Brown. He is from the northeast. He had never been a DC. So Robinson took the job, which people learned on Dec. 3.

How A&M responded

Instead of immediately moving on from Robinson after he accepted the new job, the Aggies chose to keep him in his role through the bowl game. That decision has made the situation grow increasingly awkward over the last couple weeks.

Now, Robinson is still performing his interim head coach duties. He was with the A&M team when they started bowl practice Tuesday. But Robinson has had one foot out the door and is focusing on some Syracuse-related things.

Here is where it gets awkward

Last Friday, Robinson attended a high school football game that featured Lafayette (La.) Acadiana’s Dominick McKinley, a five-star defensive lineman in the 2024 class who has been verbally committed to the Aggies since September. Robinson was seen on the sideline and was not wearing his A&M apparel from Adidas. He instead donned his new Syracuse apparel from Nike, which suggested that he was there to recruit McKinley to the Orange.

Those suspicions were confirmed Monday, when Robinson took part in Syracuse’s in-home visit with McKinley. It is worth noting that before hiring Robinson, the Orange were not in the mix whatsoever for McKinley.

Syracuse and Robinson are also pursuing A&M starting defensive end Fadil Diggs, who entered the NCAA Transfer Portal last Friday. He is still weighing his options but plans to take a visit to the Orange this weekend. Syracuse is considered a major player in his recruitment.

One more thing: Syracuse flipped A&M receiver commit Jaylan Hornsby on Monday. That news might have only added to the bad optics surrounding this situation. However, it should not be considered a big deal. All I have been told is that Hornsby should have never been a take for the Aggies. They were fine with the Orange taking him.

What all of this means

For starters, it is common for a coach in similar situations to shift some of his focus toward his next move. Why wouldn’t they? They need to do what is best for them and make sure they start as well as they can at their next stop. This is not entirely uncommon during a transition period.

At the same time, though, what Robinson has done is not the best look. He is not exactly hiding the fact that he is actively recruiting a current A&M pledge to his next program. And he is using his current platform to gain access to a five-star recruit that the Orange otherwise would not even sniff.

In his TaxAct Texas Bowl press conference earlier this month, Robinson said he would not pursue any Aggie player unless they were in the portal. On the surface, that comment seemed noble. But doesn’t that comment give every A&M player who might want to follow Robinson a reason to enter the portal? Whether it was intentional or not, it was a subtle way of giving them a blueprint. We are seeing it play out with Diggs.

I am not sure anyone can entirely fault Robinson for pursuing Diggs or kicking the tires on McKinley. He wants to do what is best for Syracuse. And it is not his fault that A&M wanted to keep him around. But this is the kind of stuff that can burn bridges.

Why the Aggies can’t move on from Robinson … yet

The Aggies could have moved on from Robinson when he accepted his new job. But they were not willing to make that change. They wanted to keep Robinson through the bowl game in hopes that it would continue to help stabilize their program during a time of uncertainty.

Now, A&M has to live with that decision. People act like the Aggies can easily let Robinson go, because no one cares about the bowl game. They think that A&M could lose 63-0, and it would not matter. They are not wrong about the bowl game being irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. But it is not that simple. There is not an ideal way to cut him before the bowl game.

The A&M players were promised a final game with Robinson and have bought into that idea. If the Aggies pulled that rug out from underneath them, it would not go unnoticed among the players. It could even be a little messy.

Various A&M players remain undecided on if they want to stay in College Station or leave following this season. There are some players in particular – who I will not name – who are thought to be goners if Robinson was abruptly let go. I am telling you, they do not think it would be good.

Think of it like this: What is more risky for the Aggies … keeping Robinson or cutting him? The prevailing perception is that cutting him would be more risky. So unless he does something that is considerably damaging, getting rid of him is not the answer right now.

And that is why, even though Robinson has ruffled some feathers, it is safe to assume that his Syracuse-related activities are not as bad as they appear from a public perception standpoint. Which leads me to …

Why this is not THAT big of a deal … at least so far

The optics are a lot worse than the reality when it comes to this situation, at least so far. Here is why:

1. Syracuse is not flipping McKinley. I know it is unwise to speak definitively when it comes to recruiting (or anything else in this crazy college football world). But this is not happening. Now, could McKinley go somewhere else? Absolutely. He is a major threat to flip elsewhere. But McKinley is not going to Syracuse.

2. Yes, Diggs is in the transfer portal and plans to visit Syracuse this weekend. However, A&M still has a chance of bringing him back. In fact, the Aggies still have a decent chance of retaining most of the top talent on their roster (more on that later). Even if Diggs goes to Syracuse, I am not sure it would be the end of the world.

3. Hornsby is not a player you need to worry about losing. I think everyone already understands that, though.

The Texas Aggies United stuff

You guys probably noticed that Texas Aggies United, the official NIL partner of A&M athletics, has been posting on X about players coming back for the 2024 season. Defensive back Bryce Anderson and offensive lineman Kam Dewberry were announced Monday and Wednesday, respectively.

I received some texts from folks who thought those posts were over-the-top silly. Because, of course Anderson and Dewberry are coming back! They are not draft-eligible and never made it known that they were thinking about leaving the team.

But you guys have to understand two things: 1. Without going into all of the details, retaining your roster and keeping everyone happy is an extremely fluid and ongoing process. Anything can change at any time. And 2. Building momentum with this stuff is never a bad thing.

I expect there will be a lot more of these announcements in the coming days. Some of them might make you yawn. Some of them might make you excited. But it is all about building momentum like you see with high school commitments. Hopefully for the Aggies, it will lead to a domino effect of players opting to stay.

Which leads me to …

The transfer portal

A&M has lost 13 scholarship players to the portal so far: quarterback Max Johnson, offensive linemen Chase Bisontis, Jordan Spasojevic-Moko and Remington Strickland, wide receiver Raymond Cottrell, tight ends Jake Johnson and Fernando Garza III, defensive tackle Walter Nolen, defensive ends LT Overton and Fadil Diggs, cornerbacks Tyreek Chappell and Deuce Harmon, and safety Jardin Gilbert.

There are going to be some guys who the Aggies are fine with leaving. You can probably count the Johnson brothers, Spasojevic-Moko, Strickland, Cottrell, Garza, Overton and Chappell as gone. There will be more players who enter the portal as well.

We will see about Harmon. I don’t see A&M going all out to bring him back. I am not sure Chappell will even be able to transfer anywhere or come back. He has academic issues. I bet he goes to the NFL Draft.

Bisontis, Nolen, Diggs and Gilbert are worth monitoring. A&M wants them back for sure. I am also keeping an eye on defensive end Shemar Turner and a few other guys. I could see Turner going to the NFL Draft. We will see. Nolen is a total wild card. I really have no clue what he is going to do.

Anyway, just because someone is in the portal and visiting other schools does not mean they are not coming back. Again, these are extremely fluid situations. And when it is all said and done, the Aggies could retain almost everyone they wanted to keep.

I would be more worried about A&M’s 2024 recruiting class. Based on how things are going right now, I fear the Aggies are in a very precarious spot. Keep an eye on it as the three-day early signing period approaches

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Here's how I do meat judging.

x, x, x, x, 2, x, x, 1, x, 4, x, x

#4 isn't good enough to make the top 3

Damn dude, let me help out

I’m hangry, I’m hungry, have you noticed my 5 head, I have agoraphobia and a pocket full of Xanax, I’m a ventriloquist, she has her hand up my ass, I banged everyone here except…, EastTx box face, anyone seen my 6 head, run away if you know what’s good for you, I kill chickens, pass the weed man

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:
Gigem247

•  

A few things (long post

•  
  • Carter Karels

I have been hesitant to weigh in on this whole ERob thing, because it is a weird situation and there is more that goes into it than you might think. But the uproar has been loud and there are some things that need to be addressed and clarified.

Here is what I have gathered, with some context/backstory added at the beginning as a refresher (and stay tuned for some transfer portal updates at the bottom):

The backstory

After firing Jimbo Fisher last month, the Aggies promoted Robinson to interim head coach. The move made a lot of sense. The players love Robinson and quickly bought into the idea of him in that role. And at the time, the move helped stabilize the A&M team during chaotic circumstances.

Beyond this season, though, the Aggies did not see Robinson as more than a defensive line coach. They never considered him when searching for their new head coach and ultimately hired Mike Elko on Nov. 26. Then, Elko passed on the idea of making Robinson his defensive coordinator.

A&M obviously wanted to keep Robinson. There were talks about retaining him as DL coach and making him the highest-paid non-coordinator in college football. But the Aggies could not have predicted that Syracuse would hire Fran Brown as its head coach, which was announced on Nov. 28. Brown quickly looked to add Robinson as his defensive coordinator and did so.

Even though Robinson would be making way, way, way less money with the Orange, the opportunity intrigued him. He is close friends with Brown. He is from the northeast. He had never been a DC. So Robinson took the job, which people learned on Dec. 3.

How A&M responded

Instead of immediately moving on from Robinson after he accepted the new job, the Aggies chose to keep him in his role through the bowl game. That decision has made the situation grow increasingly awkward over the last couple weeks.

Now, Robinson is still performing his interim head coach duties. He was with the A&M team when they started bowl practice Tuesday. But Robinson has had one foot out the door and is focusing on some Syracuse-related things.

Last Friday, Robinson attended a high school football game that featured Lafayette (La.) Acadiana’s Dominick McKinley, a five-star defensive lineman in the 2024 class who has been verbally committed to the Aggies since September. Robinson was seen on the sideline and was not wearing his A&M apparel from Adidas. He instead donned his new Syracuse apparel from Nike, which suggested that he was there to recruit McKinley to the Orange.

Those suspicions were confirmed Monday, when Robinson took part in Syracuse’s in-home visit with McKinley. It is worth noting that before hiring Robinson, the Orange were not in the mix whatsoever for McKinley.

Syracuse and Robinson are also pursuing A&M starting defensive end Fadil Diggs, who entered the NCAA Transfer Portal last Friday. He is still weighing his options but plans to take a visit to the Orange this weekend. Syracuse is considered a major player in his recruitment.

One more thing: Syracuse flipped A&M receiver commit Jaylan Hornsby on Monday. That news might have only added to the bad optics surrounding this situation. However, it should not be considered a big deal. All I have been told is that Hornsby should have never been a take for the Aggies. They were fine with the Orange taking him.

What all of this means

For starters, it is common for a coach in similar situations to shift some of his focus toward his next move. Why wouldn’t they? They need to do what is best for them and make sure they start as well as they can at their next stop. This is not entirely uncommon during a transition period.

At the same time, though, what Robinson has done is not the best look. He is not exactly hiding the fact that he is actively recruiting a current A&M pledge to his next program. And he is using his current platform to gain access to a five-star recruit that the Orange otherwise would not even sniff.

In his TaxAct Texas Bowl press conference earlier this month, Robinson said he would not pursue any Aggie player unless they were in the portal. On the surface, that comment seemed noble. But doesn’t that comment give every A&M player who might want to follow Robinson a reason to enter the portal? Whether it was intentional or not, it was a subtle way of giving them a blueprint. We are seeing it play out with Diggs.

I am not sure anyone can entirely fault Robinson for pursuing Diggs or kicking the tires on McKinley. He wants to do what is best for Syracuse. And it is not his fault that A&M wanted to keep him around. But this is the kind of stuff that can burn bridges.

The Aggies could have moved on from Robinson when he accepted his new job. But they were not willing to make that change. They wanted to keep Robinson through the bowl game in hopes that it would continue to help stabilize their program during a time of uncertainty.

Now, A&M has to live with that decision. People act like the Aggies can easily let Robinson go, because no one cares about the bowl game. They think that A&M could lose 63-0, and it would not matter. They are not wrong about the bowl game being irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. But it is not that simple. There is not an ideal way to cut him before the bowl game.

The A&M players were promised a final game with Robinson and have bought into that idea. If the Aggies pulled that rug out from underneath them, it would not go unnoticed among the players. It could even be a little messy.

Various A&M players remain undecided on if they want to stay in College Station or leave following this season. There are some players in particular – who I will not name – who are thought to be goners if Robinson was abruptly let go. I am telling you, they do not think it would be good.

Think of it like this: What is more risky for the Aggies … keeping Robinson or cutting him? The prevailing perception is that cutting him would be more risky. So unless he does something that is considerably damaging, getting rid of him is not the answer right now.

And that is why, even though Robinson has ruffled some feathers, it is safe to assume that his Syracuse-related activities are not as bad as they appear from a public perception standpoint. Which leads me to …

The optics are a lot worse than the reality when it comes to this situation, at least so far. Here is why:

1. Syracuse is not flipping McKinley. I know it is unwise to speak definitively when it comes to recruiting (or anything else in this crazy college football world). But this is not happening. Now, could McKinley go somewhere else? Absolutely. He is a major threat to flip elsewhere. But McKinley is not going to Syracuse.

2. Yes, Diggs is in the transfer portal and plans to visit Syracuse this weekend. However, A&M still has a chance of bringing him back. In fact, the Aggies still have a decent chance of retaining most of the top talent on their roster (more on that later). Even if Diggs goes to Syracuse, I am not sure it would be the end of the world.

3. Hornsby is not a player you need to worry about losing. I think everyone already understands that, though.

You guys probably noticed that Texas Aggies United, the official NIL partner of A&M athletics, has been posting on X about players coming back for the 2024 season. Defensive back Bryce Anderson and offensive lineman Kam Dewberry were announced Monday and Wednesday, respectively.

I received some texts from folks who thought those posts were over-the-top silly. Because, of course Anderson and Dewberry are coming back! They are not draft-eligible and never made it known that they were thinking about leaving the team.

But you guys have to understand two things: 1. Without going into all of the details, retaining your roster and keeping everyone happy is an extremely fluid and ongoing process. Anything can change at any time. And 2. Building momentum with this stuff is never a bad thing.

I expect there will be a lot more of these announcements in the coming days. Some of them might make you yawn. Some of them might make you excited. But it is all about building momentum like you see with high school commitments. Hopefully for the Aggies, it will lead to a domino effect of players opting to stay.

Which leads me to …

The transfer portal

A&M has lost 13 scholarship players to the portal so far: quarterback Max Johnson, offensive linemen Chase Bisontis, Jordan Spasojevic-Moko and Remington Strickland, wide receiver Raymond Cottrell, tight ends Jake Johnson and Fernando Garza III, defensive tackle Walter Nolen, defensive ends LT Overton and Fadil Diggs, cornerbacks Tyreek Chappell and Deuce Harmon, and safety Jardin Gilbert.

There are going to be some guys who the Aggies are fine with leaving. You can probably count the Johnson brothers, Spasojevic-Moko, Strickland, Cottrell, Garza, Overton and Chappell as gone. There will be more players who enter the portal as well.

We will see about Harmon. I don’t see A&M going all out to bring him back. I am not sure Chappell will even be able to transfer anywhere or come back. He has academic issues. I bet he goes to the NFL Draft.

Bisontis, Nolen, Diggs and Gilbert are worth monitoring. A&M wants them back for sure. I am also keeping an eye on defensive end Shemar Turner and a few other guys. I could see Turner going to the NFL Draft. We will see. Nolen is a total wild card. I really have no clue what he is going to do.

Anyway, just because someone is in the portal and visiting other schools does not mean they are not coming back. Again, these are extremely fluid situations. And when it is all said and done, the Aggies could retain almost everyone they wanted to keep.

I would be more worried about A&M’s 2024 recruiting class. Based on how things are going right now, I fear the Aggies are in a very precarious spot. Keep an eye on it as the three-day early signing period approaches

That’s a looch sock right? Holy shit, what a great time to be alive fellas! 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Damn dude, let me help out

I’m hangry, I’m hungry, have you noticed my 5 head, I have agoraphobia and a pocket full of Xanax, I’m a ventriloquist, she has her hand up my ass, I banged everyone here except…, EastTx box face, anyone seen my 6 head, run away if you know what’s good for you, I kill chickens, pass the weed man

tbf I wouldn't fuck any of 'em with someone else's dick sober, but sometimes it's last call, you're horny as fuck, and you just gotta suck it up and take SOMETHING home

Edited by Rimbo

44 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:
Gigem247

•  

A few things (long post

•  
  • Carter Karels

The backstory

How A&M responded

What all of this means

Which leads me to …

The transfer portal

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

That’s a looch sock right? Holy shit, what a great time to be alive fellas! 

Who puts themselves in this situation? Seriously.

It's just obviously a stupid idea to have as interim coach for your bowl game a guy who has already been hired by someone else. He quite rightly is putting his future employer over his rump time with you. And then the Aggies start to complain about ethics? Jesus, Mary and Joseph. If you're going to be a chump, just be a chump. Don't advertise it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 3

1 hour ago, Tired Horn said:

Who puts themselves in this situation? Seriously.

It's just obviously a stupid idea to have as interim coach for your bowl game a guy who has already been hired by someone else. He quite rightly is putting his future employer over his rump time with you. And then the Aggies start to complain about ethics? Jesus, Mary and Joseph. If you're going to be a chump cuck, just be a chump cuck. Don't advertise it.

fify,

jimbo taught them well

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Tyanthony fong flip gonna cause yuge aggy tears!
Poor aggy!!!

Surprisingly this hasn't made its way to the aggy 247 board yet. Should be a fun weekend on the aggy screenshot thread.  Early Christmas present everybody.

Santa Claus Christmas GIF

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Aggies United took down their posts about the players they've retained. Guess that didn't fly with compliance.

https://twitter.com/TXAggiesUnited

Their compliance thinks it's fine to sue kids who transfer and garnish their wages from other employers. I don't think compliance gives a fuck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Aggies United took down their posts about the players they've retained. Guess that didn't fly with compliance.

https://twitter.com/TXAggiesUnited

we can hope the checks bounced.

i hope Lane Kiffin is sending that to every single A&M recruit - "they deleted their Bryce Anderson is staying home tweet, either he is going in the portal or they couldn't come up with the money"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Starting to wonder if The Elk is gonna make it to 3 years.  Pretty much everything since his press conference has been a mess.

This was all in the plans stupid sip. He is bringing Riley Leonard with him. Oh wait... No, Klein is bringing Will Howard and Avery Johnson with him. Wait... 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Starting to wonder if The Elk is gonna make it to 3 years.  Pretty much everything since his press conference has been a mess.

He's there until the end or year 5 at the earliest. 

If he gets fired after year 3 that would mean in 2027 the aggies would pay Jimbo 7.2 million (with 28.8 still to go) for Jimbo and a flat fee of 16.8 million for Elko to not coach. Then they would have to pay the new guy 5-8 million to come coach. 

They're royally screwed if this thing doesn't work out and he's 5-7 in year 3-6. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Should be noted that Anthony Maddox is the older brother of a top 100 prospect in the class of 2025 - so its kind of like the aggy just lost out on two recruits:

https://247sports.com/Player/andrew-maddox-46132974/  

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Should be noted that Anthony Maddox is the older brother of a top 100 prospect in the class of 2025 - so its kind of like the aggy just lost out on two recruits:

https://247sports.com/Player/andrew-maddox-46132974/  

I’m convinced aggy offered Anthony to get Andrew. Jimbo was all in on landing DL. 

• Hook 'Em 2