Hunter Biden’s laptop

Hanrahan

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Well, his lawyers have stated that they intend to argue that the law he broke was unconstitutional under the Bruen decision, so maybe it had something to do with not having the son of the POTUS arguing against the laws that POTUS supports in federal court.

Alford plea??

55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And under the reasoning of Bruen, shitty and overly broad as it is, I'd have liked their chances.

Should have let Hunter go through with it. Hunter Biden getting off on lax gun control laws would have exploded some brains. 

"Wait, was Bruen a bad thing?"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And under the reasoning of Bruen, shitty and overly broad as it is, I'd have liked their chances.

Would you even need Bruen, though? McDonald v Chicago confirmed that second amendments rights are incorporated by the due process clause of the fourteenth amendment. That might be enough by itself, but with Bruen it would definitely be a pretty good shot.

12 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Would you even need Bruen, though? McDonald v Chicago confirmed that second amendments rights are incorporated by the due process clause of the fourteenth amendment. That might be enough by itself, but with Bruen it would definitely be a pretty good shot.

Que?

i am trying to figure out the "sweetheart deal" Hunter Biden supposedly got here. Did the GOP think he was going to do time for:

• not paying taxes for two years - which he ultimately ended up paying in 2021. So the charges were for filing his taxes late.
  • lying about drug use on the government form used for his purchase of a handgun - a "Crime" committed by tens of thousands of people every year which goes unprosecuted.

would any normal citizen who pled on those charges get jail time?

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, yoladu said:

i am trying to figure out the "sweetheart deal" Hunter Biden supposedly got here. Did the GOP think he was going to do time for:

• not paying taxes for two years - which he ultimately ended up paying in 2021. So the charges were for filing his taxes late.
  • lying about drug use on the government form used for his purchase of a handgun - a "Crime" committed by tens of thousands of people every year which goes unprosecuted.

would any normal citizen who pled on those charges get jail time?

I'd bet if you looked at the statistics about the racial identity of those who get charged with lieing on a 4473 you'd see a pretty significant racial discrepancy. It's a vague law that doesn't define who someone who is a "user" of controlled substances is. In practice, it is a tool that allows law enforcement to discriminate against whoever they choose to. It is also a tool used to fish for other crimes in a discriminatory manner. They can open an investigation and fish for evidence of other crimes, and then conveniently drop charges on the violation of 922(3)(g) so that the defendant doesn't have good standing to challenge it.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Que?

Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking, given that this is a federal case. I think I was thinking that the due process clause being reinforced by the fourteenth amendment would negate some of the arguments about colonial prohibitions on gun ownership by slaves or freed men (the government actually tried to argue that recently) because the preceeding thirteenth amendment, but somehow wires got crossed and I was distracted with work and the heat.

Anyhow, I assume you read my previous post, so I would argue that the vagueness doctrine which is derived from due process clearly applies, given the power it allows law enforcement to selectively enforce it. And I believe that there was even a recent case in which a judge ruled that even a one time use of a controlled substance would be sufficient, which makes selective enforcement even more probable.

But the bigger issue to me, is that even under Heller, flatly prohibiting any user of a controlled substance such as marijuana from possessing an arm that was involved in any way with interstate commerce is defacto stripping that person of a fundamental right without due process, which means strict scrutiny should be applied. I don't think there is anybody on this board who would say that the government has a compelling interest in stripping cancer patients of their second amendment rights unless they fundamentally disagree that it is actually a right.

This is the point where if you have friends or family who bring up the name Hunter Biden you go one of two ways.

1. You tell them they are part of a cult and need serious help.

2. You don’t bother wasting your words on them because they are in a cult and it is not worth the effort of even telling them they are wrong. It will not change their thought process. This is the option you should take. Psychologists can study this and write some oddly interesting books at some point detailing the hold Trump has on these people. If you are not one of these people just don’t engage anymore with them. 

If neither of those work for you then just completely cut off anyone in your life that is obsessed with Hunter Biden or any of the other conspiracies the GQP cult is currently promoting. Life is way too short to spend even a moment arguing with any of these people. Let the pigs enjoy the mud and just move on past them. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I honestly don't even remember the details. Wasn't it some computer repair shop guy who said that the laptop was Hunter Biden's and had incriminating stuff on it without any details whatsoever? Wasn't the immediate and obvious implication that it was either a complete lie, and even if it was Biden's, there was no way to verify that whatever he was claiming was on there was there when Biden dropped it off? It was always stupid. Since the Georgia Cunt is mentioning it, just confirms that "the laptop" is and was complete nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking, given that this is a federal case. I think I was thinking that the due process clause being reinforced by the fourteenth amendment would negate some of the arguments about colonial prohibitions on gun ownership by slaves or freed men (the government actually tried to argue that recently) because the preceeding thirteenth amendment, but somehow wires got crossed and I was distracted with work and the heat.

Anyhow, I assume you read my previous post, so I would argue that the vagueness doctrine which is derived from due process clearly applies, given the power it allows law enforcement to selectively enforce it. And I believe that there was even a recent case in which a judge ruled that even a one time use of a controlled substance would be sufficient, which makes selective enforcement even more probable.

But the bigger issue to me, is that even under Heller, flatly prohibiting any user of a controlled substance such as marijuana from possessing an arm that was involved in any way with interstate commerce is defacto stripping that person of a fundamental right without due process, which means strict scrutiny should be applied. I don't think there is anybody on this board who would say that the government has a compelling interest in stripping cancer patients of their second amendment rights unless they fundamentally disagree that it is actually a right.

Well, the problem currently is Breuen, which outlaws gun restrictions unless they had some basis in "colonial" or contemporaneous law.

It has been used successfully against several provisions of 922, and similar laws, just not the drunk/addict/user, yet.

I agree with your position than 922 is largely used to abuse browns.  I also agree that iNtErStAtE cOmMerCe as a constitutional basis for criminal laws is frequently bullshit.

17 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

Good to see Jenna Ellis is still a shitty attorney lol

What's really alarming is that that Tolman guy was US Attorney for the District of Utah for three years, after having spent a whopping three years right out of law school as an AUSA and a much longer time as legislative counsel to the Mormy contingent.

Can't think off the top of my head of a bigger poltiical hack.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I honestly don't even remember the details. Wasn't it some computer repair shop guy who said that the laptop was Hunter Biden's and had incriminating stuff on it without any details whatsoever? Wasn't the immediate and obvious implication that it was either a complete lie, and even if it was Biden's, there was no way to verify that whatever he was claiming was on there was there when Biden dropped it off? It was always stupid. Since the Georgia Cunt is mentioning it, just confirms that "the laptop" is and was complete nonsense. 

Don't forget that it so conveniently ended up involving Rudy.  If that wasn't the obvious "THIS IS RUSSIAN BULLSHIT"

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Don't forget that it so conveniently ended up involving Rudy.  If that wasn't the obvious "THIS IS RUSSIAN BULLSHIT"

Oh yeah, wasn't it that the computer shop guy called Rudy first? That rings a bell. Was always stupid bullshit. The dick jokes are hilarious though. Rudy really loved seeing that massive schlong.

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The gist of it is that it came from highly questionable sources** and had been tampered with extensively, with the understanding that a forensic image of the computer, fresh out of the hands of its owner, is about the only acceptable standard of proof of computer evidence in a criminal court.

Turns out, it can be confirmed that it was Hunter Biden's computer.  And some of the email and other information on it (dick pix) are authentic.  Once the MSM had proof of that, they admitted it.

But, even with that being the case, there is far from any smoking gun of criminal activity, much less criminal activity involving Joey Two Scoops.  It does bolster the notion that Hunter is a raging addict trading heavily off the Biden name to fund the lifestyle of a raging addict.

**This guy

36708138-9041747-image-a-13_160765537041

And this guy:

image.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=06be5609f94d534

And a number of Giuliani related sources had apparently viewed and "tampered with" the computer before it got to anyone credible.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

This is the point where if you have friends or family who bring up the name Hunter Biden you go one of two ways.

1. You tell them they are part of a cult and need serious help.

2. You don’t bother wasting your words on them because they are in a cult and it is not worth the effort of even telling them they are wrong. It will not change their thought process. This is the option you should take. Psychologists can study this and write some oddly interesting books at some point detailing the hold Trump has on these people. If you are not one of these people just don’t engage anymore with them. 

If neither of those work for you then just completely cut off anyone in your life that is obsessed with Hunter Biden or any of the other conspiracies the GQP cult is currently promoting. Life is way too short to spend even a moment arguing with any of these people. Let the pigs enjoy the mud and just move on past them. 

he faced his charges like a man, without crying like a baby about everything 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he faced his charges like a man, without posting about it on social media like a fucking attention whore and threatening the families of DOJ employees

fify.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

They will never stop prosecuting Hunter Biden

for example: Whitewater, Travelgate, Vince Foster, Filegate, Benghazi, Email Server

The only reason Republicans stopped making up stupid investigations for the Clintons is because they both retired from Politics. They will do the same until Biden is dead. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

They will never stop prosecuting Hunter Biden

for example: Whitewater, Travelgate, Vince Foster, Filegate, Benghazi, Email Server

The only reason Republicans stopped making up stupid investigations for the Clintons is because they both retired from Politics. They will do the same until Biden is dead. 

meh, double jeopardy now. Zero chain of custody on that hard drive 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The gist of it is that it came from highly questionable sources** and had been tampered with extensively, with the understanding that a forensic image of the computer, fresh out of the hands of its owner, is about the only acceptable standard of proof of computer evidence in a criminal court.

Turns out, it can be confirmed that it was Hunter Biden's computer.  And some of the email and other information on it (dick pix) are authentic.  Once the MSM had proof of that, they admitted it.

But, even with that being the case, there is far from any smoking gun of criminal activity, much less criminal activity involving Joey Two Scoops.  It does bolster the notion that Hunter is a raging addict trading heavily off the Biden name to fund the lifestyle of a raging addict.

**This guy

And this guy:

And a number of Giuliani related sources had apparently viewed and "tampered with" the computer before it got to anyone credible.

This might be a nitpick, but I don't think they confirmed that it was Hunter's computer, due to the aforementioned chain of custody issues.  They were able to confirm some (most?) of the emails by tracing them back through servers as well as contacting recipients.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hunter Biden did not pay taxes in 2017 and 2018. He paid back the money owed in 2021, which was over $100,000.

When he bought a gun, he lied and said he doesn’t do drugs.

This is what the Republicans are howling about? A rich person not paying their fair share of taxes, immediately, and then lying on a gun background check?

These people sure they vote Republican?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Turns out, it can be confirmed that it was Hunter Biden's computer. 

has that been shown? 

we know for a fact that icloud was hacked and afaik without maybe apple's assistance there's no way to tell if a file originated on a mac or was restored to a mac from icloud. 

but, as you also said, there's really nothing in there purportedly from hunter himself (or joey b) that amounts to anything. 

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

has that been shown? 

we know for a fact that icloud was hacked and afaik without maybe apple's assistance there's no way to tell if a file originated on a mac or was restored to a mac from icloud. 

but, as you also said, there's really nothing in there purportedly from hunter himself (or joey b) that amounts to anything. 

I may be misremembering that.

On the charges, a couple of reasonable legal pundits have submitted that anyone other than Hunter Biden, under intense investigation, would not be charged here.

People don't pay their taxes all the time, even large amounts, and it remains a civil matter until it turns into felony tax evasion.  You never hear of anyone getting into trouble over a couple year's returns, paid in full within a couple of years.  And, these types of firearms charges are rarely lodged except in connection with some sort of crime committed with the gun, that is as part of a bigger criminal episode.

Just as a general matter, when any crime is drug/alcohol/addiction-related, which is many of them if not most of them, I think diversion like this is the answer, every time, especially for one with a minimal criminal history.  I am not aware of many federal diversion programs, but there should be more of them.

On 6/21/2023 at 6:39 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Hunter Biden did not pay taxes in 2017 and 2018. He paid back the money owed in 2021, which was over $100,000.

When he bought a gun, he lied and said he doesn’t do drugs.

This is what the Republicans are howling about? A rich person not paying their fair share of taxes, immediately, and then lying on a gun background check?

These people sure they vote Republican?

Hey right wing lurkers:

So this is over now right?  The trump appointed prosecutor worked on this for 5 years and this is what he came up with.  So we are all good?  Justice served?  I'll hang up and listen.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hey right wing lurkers:

So this is over now right?  The trump appointed prosecutor worked on this for 5 years and this is what he came up with.  So we are all good?  Justice served?  I'll hang up and listen.

Republicans are not interested in reasoned discourse. It doesn't matter what current position they are arguing, it will change. Trying to pin them down with facts only plays into their disingenuous engagement model. Their only true consistent position is power. You can spend all day showing them how they believe in law and order. You can show them their own words that say "let the investigation run it's course" or "prosecute Biden", and when you explain the Republican Prosecutor and Republican Judge found a couple misdemeanors and gave him probation.  They will pivot and say the justice system is rigged. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Republicans are not interested in reasoned discourse. It doesn't matter what current position they are arguing, it will change. Trying to pin them down with facts only plays into their disingenuous engagement model. Their only true consistent position is power. You can spend all day showing them how they believe in law and order. You can show them their own words that say "let the investigation run it's course" or "prosecute Biden", and when you explain the Republican Prosecutor and Republican Judge found a couple misdemeanors and gave him probation.  They will pivot and say the justice system is rigged. 

I know, but I just want to see it from their own mouths.  Or keyboards.

52 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hey right wing lurkers:

Forest Whitaker Laughing GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hey right wing lurkers:

As a Surly right winger, I have to say that this story has always made me yawn. I grew up with quite a few guys that were hired on in higher up roles because of their father and used the large paychecks on drugs and partying. It’s a story as old as time. Next. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

As a Surly right winger, I have to say that this story has always made me yawn. I grew up with quite a few guys that were hired on in higher up roles because of their father and used the large paychecks on drugs and partying. It’s a story as old as time. Next. 

Well, some credit to you then for not automagically assuming that Hunter the fuckup has included his Dad in his nasty schemes, beyond his surname, and maybe an introduction or two.

Because that's the whole right wing spin here.  That is currently almost devoid of evidence, except for some cryptic references to "the Big Guy."

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, some credit to you then for not automagically assuming that Hunter the fuckup has included his Dad in his nasty schemes, beyond his surname, and maybe an introduction or two.

Because that's the whole right wing spin here.  That is currently almost devoid of evidence, except for some cryptic references to "the Big Guy."

Well it was also classic projection. Acting like the Trump kids and Jared didn’t build everything they had on daddy’s last name. Or GWB

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There is zero doubt in my mind that Hunter has dragged his dad into some scheme or two. The difference for me is that I view Joe as a sympathetic figure rather than a coconspirator in this mess. Growing up the son of an addict has given me a unique perspective in that I’m fully aware of an addict’s ability to abuse a loved one’s good nature. 

• Hook 'Em 1