Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

55 minutes ago, Smax said:

And I expect it's coming to Texas - Republican politicians in Texas have been talking about wanting to keep people from leaving the state for abortions.  How they are going to figure out if people are leaving for abortions....well, it's a state that believes in small government and who wants to ban people from reading about abortion online (https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/03/texas-abortion-websites-ban)

CNN has it up as well

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/31/politics/alabama-attorney-general-abortion-prosecute/index.html

Alabama’s Republican attorney general said in a court filing that he has the right to prosecute people who make travel arrangements for pregnant women to have out-of-state abortions.

In a court filing Monday, attorneys for Attorney General Steve Marshall wrote that providing transportation for women in Alabama to leave the state to get an abortion could amount to a “criminal conspiracy.”

The court filing comes in response to lawsuits against Marshall that was filed in July from two women’s health centers and Yellowhammer Fund, an organization which says it provides “financial and practical support for those who are pregnant and require assistance.” The plaintiffs argue that Marshall violated their constitutional rights by publicly stating that organizations which help pregnant women in Alabama get an abortion out of state could be criminally investigated.

“Alabama can no more regulate out-of-state abortions than another state can deem its laws legalizing abortions to apply to Alabama,” the Yellowhammer Fund lawsuit argues.

Marshall is now asking Judge Myron Thompson to dismiss the lawsuit, saying that helping a woman avoid Alabama’s restrictions by facilitating an abortion elsewhere is a conspiracy. “The conspiracy is what is being punished, even if the final conduct never occurs,” Marshall’s filing states. “That conduct is Alabama-based and is within Alabama’s power to prohibit.”

"People who make travel arrangements"?  WTF?  I know it's Alabama and they're stuck in the 1960's, but there's no more travel agents.  A girl/woman wants to book a flight, she can go through Orbitz or Kayak or whatever...Alabama ain't winning that lawsuit.  Now if there's a non-profit offering to pay for women to leave the state, I know Alabama is gonna fight them all to hell, which is wrong-but I can see the legal rationale.  

All it takes is one press conference folks.  Just one.  And this house of cards comes tumbling down.  A 16 year old rape/incest victim is caught at the border or airport and she simply says to the cameras, "I wasn't fleeing to get an abortion, I was just leaving the state so the man who raped/molested me could feel his baby kicking around in my belly but the Alabama/Texas authorities stopped me against God's will."  It's a big responsibility to put on the shoulders of a young victim, but it would send an already imbalanced peoples into a cyclone of violent confusion.  We have to start breaking these people.  The self-delusion can't go on in perpetuity, the human brain isn't built for it.  Sooner or later, everybody breaks.  

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Isn't that a bright red line violation of the interstate commerce clause? Especially if someone is driving to another state for that medical care?

That depends on whether Brett Kavanaugh thinks his wife's friends will openly talk shit about him if he says it isn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Isn't that a bright red line violation of the interstate commerce clause? Especially if someone is driving to another state for that medical care?

I don't see how it isn't.  I can drive to Colorado to legally smoke pot.  They're not stopping me from doing that.  They know they couldn't. 

(This reminds me, I need to visit Colorado.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

JFC.  Are they going to set up road blocks?  What the hell is going on?  This is ludicrous.

Wasn't there an ad a while back predicting this - i.e., with police pulling over a mother and teen daughter asking about where they were traveling and why?  I can totally see some ex-Iowa Colony cops getting hired by religious border towns to start doing this shit. It's a brave new (dystopian) world.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Gap03 said:

Wasn't there an ad a while back predicting this - i.e., with police pulling over a mother and teen daughter asking about where they were traveling and why?  I can totally see some ex-Iowa Colony cops getting hired by religious border towns to start doing this shit. It's a brave new (dystopian) world.

And it'll be just a few posts before blacklab locks the thread in DT about it because it's "too political". Nevermind that fascism is happening in our fucking state.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 10:55 AM, YGIFS said:

"People who make travel arrangements"?  WTF?  I know it's Alabama and they're stuck in the 1960's, but there's no more travel agents.  A girl/woman wants to book a flight, she can go through Orbitz or Kayak or whatever...Alabama ain't winning that lawsuit.  Now if there's a non-profit offering to pay for women to leave the state, I know Alabama is gonna fight them all to hell, which is wrong-but I can see the legal rationale.  

On 9/1/2023 at 10:26 AM, NAVY said:

Mother fuckers just can’t stay out of other people’s chili 

On 9/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, Biff Tannen said:

JFC.  Are they going to set up road blocks?  What the hell is going on?  This is ludicrous.

On 9/1/2023 at 10:46 AM, Gap03 said:

Well, guess what?  Texas Health and Human Services is getting reports about abortions in other states performed on Texans (don't think they are getting names).

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/number-of-texans-receiving-abortions-out-of-state-almost-tripled-in-2022/

The number of Texans seeking an abortion out of state almost tripled in 2022, after a state law went into effect that bans the procedure in almost all cases.

New data from the Texas Health and Human Services Commission shows at least 4,718 Texas residents received an abortion in a different state last year, up from 1,712 in 2021.

Texas receives reports from other states through the State and Territorial Exchange of Vital Events, a public health reporting system maintained by the National Association for Public Health Statistics and Information Systems.

Reporting abortion data to the system is voluntary, and not all states participate, according to a HHSC spokesperson. That means the total number may be higher than the 4,718 reported.

The commission does not maintain data on people who travel internationally to receive an abortion.

Earlier this year, data from the state of Kansas showed 2,978 abortions were performed in that state on Texas residents last year. That constituted a 1,178% increase from 2021 when just 233 abortions were performed on Texas residents.

A trigger law in Texas went into effect in August 2022, banning most abortions in the state. Abortion is also banned in neighboring Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma, meaning Texas women who want the procedure must travel to states like Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico.

It's just a matter of time before the state tries to go after the names.  I think they will fail, but it costs the politicians nothing since taxpayers foot the bill, and it makes a small minority of Texans happy that they are going after it.

• Rage+1 2

https://www.aclu.org/news/reproductive-freedom/idaho-wants-to-jail-professors-for-teaching-about-abortion

At Idaho’s public universities, professors who teach, discuss, or write about abortion may now face up to 14 years of imprisonment under Idaho’s abortion censorship law, the No Public Funds for Abortion Act (NPFAA). The law, which prohibits the use of any public funds to “promote” or “counsel in favor of abortion,” has shut down academic inquiry about abortion — one of today’s most urgent social, moral, and political issues — across university classrooms and campuses in the state.

• Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Good luck, Texas and other states.  You are fucking around, and you are about to find out.  I relish watching the flight of educated people from those states.  Brain drain is real, and it is happening in Texas.  

I had bloodwork done at the Austin Diagnostic Clinic lab, in the North Austin Hospital, this morning.  The tech said they are swamped because they've already closed 2 of 3 satellite locations because they can't fill vacancies and at that location they are operating with less than half the normal staff.  FAFO.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

https://apnews.com/article/mexico-abortion-decriminalize-d87f6edbdf68c2e6c8f5700b3afd15de

Mexico’s Supreme Court decriminalizes abortion nationwide

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s Supreme Court decriminalized abortion nationwide Wednesday, two years after ruling that abortion was not a crime in one northern state.

That earlier ruling had set off a grinding process of decriminalizing abortion state by state. Last week, the central state of Aguascalientes became the 12th state to decriminalize the procedure.

The court’s sweeping decision Wednesday comes amid a trend in Latin America of loosening restrictions on abortion, even as access has been limited in parts of the United States.

Mexico City was the first Mexican jurisdiction to decriminalize abortion 15 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/4/2023 at 11:50 PM, mchookem said:

Idaho kinda flies under the radar but that is one scary,  regressive state.

They’re the worst. At their convention, Idaho Republicans voted to reject language that would allow for an exception to their absolute ban on abortion In cases where it was necessary to save the life of the mother.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-2022-midterm-elections-health-election-2020-language-f9fdf6be22822bd2970f65f180d812dc

If a rape victim aborts the unwanted offspring of her attacker, his family can sue her. (I guess they specified his family and not the rapist himself so as not to seem barbaric and inhumane, or something.)

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/03/idaho-abortion-bill-rapist-families

Concerned about a rise in the maternal mortality rate coincidental with their draconian abortion restrictions? No worries, they simply suspended the committee that studies and reports on such matters.

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.org/news/2023-07-07/idaho-maternal-mortality-review-committee-dissolve

4 hours ago, royiv said:

Mexico becoming more progressive than the US is something I didn't think I would live to see. 

To be fair I don’t really think it’s about them becoming more progressive. They see a market for medical tourism and had enough about them to not let their silly little religious nonsense stand in the way of it.

Maybe they’ll use the money to pay for Trump’s wall like he promised!!!

9 hours ago, hpslugga said:

To be fair I don’t really think it’s about them becoming more progressive. They see a market for medical tourism and had enough about them to not let their silly little religious nonsense stand in the way of it.

Maybe they’ll use the money to pay for Trump’s wall like he promised!!!

Mexico City is progressive as hell

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/08/health/ohio-abortion-long/index.html

TLDR, lifelong Republicans suddenly find out what their party's bullshit antics cost them. 

"you mean the assholes I voted for passed fucked up laws but now I'm against those laws because it finally adversely affected me?"

FAFO! Fuck them for enabling that bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/08/health/ohio-abortion-long/index.html

TLDR, lifelong Republicans suddenly find out what their party's bullshit antics cost them. 

"you mean the assholes I voted for passed fucked up laws but now I'm against those laws because it finally adversely affected me?"

FAFO! Fuck them for enabling that bullshit.

The leopards have been quite satiated eating faces lately 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/1/2023 at 10:44 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I don't see how it isn't.  I can drive to Colorado to legally smoke pot.  They're not stopping me from doing that.  They know they couldn't. 

(This reminds me, I need to visit Colorado.)

I've thought about this too, and Louisiana you can drive there gamble and drive back. Selective enforcement

• 2 weeks later...

Online business review site Yelp is suing Texas to defend its descriptions of crisis pregnancy centers which make clear to readers that the centers do not provide abortions or abortion referrals.

Currently, Yelp applies an alert it calls a "Consumer Notice" to crisis pregnancy center listings reading, "This is a Crisis Pregnancy Center. Crisis Pregnancy Centers do not offer abortions or referrals to abortion providers."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/yelp-texas-lawsuit-over-crisis-pregnancy-center-labels/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/anti-choice-attorneys-want-thousands-of-abortion-providers-and-donors-personal-information_n_65171fa8e4b08e1d3e4d3c83

Anti-Choice Attorneys Want Thousands Of Abortion Providers' And Donors' Personal Information

“It is objectively terrifying to think about what anti-abortion extremists want to do with this personal information," said one abortion fund leader.

• Rage+1 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

So violate the commerce clause in the language of the ordinance?  I’d say bold strategy but except, y’know, this SCOTUS.  

This. 

And nary a peep from folks who claim they remain Republicans because they are more truly a conservative than conservatives who have left the Republican Party. If you are willing to go to the mattresses to defy the rule of law, you ain’t Liberty and freedom and Constitutional Republic conservatives. Those folks are unprincipled ideologues.

Serious question-how is this logistically enforceable?  What's the "probable cause" metric?  A chubby female between 14-54 is driving or riding in a passenger vehicle?  We have drivers that drive from Texas to New Mexico every single day.  Sometimes the drivers have their wife or daughter with them, riding shotgun, to spend time together.  Can a clearly permitted interstate kingpin truck now be pulled over to question the female passenger?  Because I can't think of a more gross violation of the interstate commerce clause than stopping a freight truck, or a greyhound bus, or an Amtrak train, or a Vonlane, or an Uber, or an Amazon truck...all of which operate across state lines multiple times a day---particularly in cities near borders.  

Because some company is going to tempt law enforcement by advertising on the vehicle itself that there's a female inside.  And then shit's gonna get real.

17 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Serious question-how is this logistically enforceable?  What's the "probable cause" metric?  A chubby female between 14-54 is driving or riding in a passenger vehicle?  We have drivers that drive from Texas to New Mexico every single day.  Sometimes the drivers have their wife or daughter with them, riding shotgun, to spend time together.  Can a clearly permitted interstate kingpin truck now be pulled over to question the female passenger?  Because I can't think of a more gross violation of the interstate commerce clause than stopping a freight truck, or a greyhound bus, or an Amtrak train, or a Vonlane, or an Uber, or an Amazon truck...all of which operate across state lines multiple times a day---particularly in cities near borders.  

Because some company is going to tempt law enforcement by advertising on the vehicle itself that there's a female inside.  And then shit's gonna get real.

It's Lubbock.  There are people constantly coming in from New Mexico, as well as people from Lubbock traveling to Amarillo or DFW, not to mention the steady stream of female Tech students leaving Lubbock and going home on weekends, etc.

But we've also seen state legislators who want to ban women from leaving Texas for an abortion so I'm guessing they want checkpoints or access to medical records or even pregnancy test purchase records (lock up the tests, make them swipe an ID like they are getting allergy medication).

Right, I get that it's Lubbock near New Mexico and Oklahoma even.  But how do they "establish that a crime has been committed or is about to be committed" with all those cars just passing by?  Never mind the buses, trains, trucks, and aeronautical cloud cars?  Outside of a CBP-styled mandatory checkpoint at every single interstate road where every single vehicle of any kind has to stop and is subject to search, how does this work in practical application?  Plus nobody travels with their medical records in the fucking car.  Is that gonna be some new mandate?  

I think you're right though, I think we're just months away from women having to present ID to the pharmacist to get a pregnancy test.  Instead of being able to just grab them off the shelf and do self-checkout.  Of course, a man or non-pregnant friend can just go in there and buy one for her.  I don't give a shit, I buy so much random crap at Randall's as it is, why not throw this in the mix?  

Can the county make any health care provider inform them within 5 business days when a patient in their care has turned up pregnant?  Then that name goes into a vehicle database and they use traffic cams to search for that license plate?  What if the woman is driving through from Louisiana to get to New Mexico?  Now there's three states involved?  What if a grown, married woman who miscarried is going to get a D&C in her second term (long after the permitted window)?  

806-767-1330 is the County Commissioner's office line.  I have to take a shit in 10 minutes, we'll see what they have to say.  

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

This is the first thing that I thought of too.  It's just a right wing fever dream.  They gonna stop every car at the border of Texas and New Mexico?  A quick google maps search shows me at least 20 roads crossing the border between Clovis and Hobbs, a 50 mile stretch.  Seems like you would need quite a few cops to make that feasible.  Like, probably more than exist in the panhandle.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is the first thing that I thought of too.  It's just a right wing fever dream.  They gonna stop every car at the border of Texas and New Mexico?  A quick google maps search shows me at least 20 roads crossing the border between Clovis and Hobbs, a 50 mile stretch.  Seems like you would need quite a few cops to make that feasible.  Like, probably more than exist in the panhandle.

Well the "No Country for Old Men" reboot sounds politically charged as fuck.

And what the fuck with, "License, Proof of insurance, and latest pap smear results please" when you get pulled over?  

Is Lubbock County gonna by an anti-aircraft system now to shoot down places in its airspace heading for points West or North?

Edited by YGIFS

It is just for show.  But that won’t stop me from constantly notifying, via a cheap call center abroad, Lubbock county law enforcement that antifa and LGBTQ and a Mister Ronan Sinatra caravans are going through their roads to take women to receive abortions in New Mexico.  I’ll have sheriffs taken away from their usual routes/shifts in the double digits by the end of the month.  And then MAGA folks can whine about lack of police response in their towns.  Because Lobo called their resources to non existent instances using real commercial license plates that will register in their system as current but eventually they’ll see they are interstate trucks domiciled on the east coast.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

We need more police funding, you pinko soy boy.

British Pain GIF by Focus Features

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Like 1

As juvenile as it sounds, the "Well maybe the defunded police would respond faster to your property crimes, Karen.  If they weren't all busy with compulsory traffic stops to halt abortion vacations!" is a soundbite that would stick like gorilla glue.  

SO yeah, how does this work...razor wire blocking Latino immigrants from entering Texas from New mexico but people from Lubbock county can't go the other way?  Some kinda bizarro-world border standoff between NM and Tx state police?  Where are the "constitutional originalists/strict construction" liberty folks on this interstate situation?