Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

19 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Somewhat disappointed to see their next coach list is only semi-unrealistic. Aranda, Fickle, and Campbell seem to be mentioned the most. While they should be discussing names like Klieman, Herman, Ted Roof, and Mike Stoops, we should also be seeing Urban, Riley, and Swinney from the fans of a former blueblood. Guess they are starting to get it.... 

The only guys in this paragraph that are taking that job are Herman and Roof.

It's not that good of a job any more and their ceiling has been lowered with USC coming into the Big 10.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

10 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

It's pretty amazing to see just how far the corn have fallen, looking back. I had no idea that they haven't even played in a bowl game since 2016. How is that even possible?

By pulling out of a conference who's footprint you recruited heavily and having to establish a whole new set of recruiting grounds while firing successful coaches because your fanbase has insane and unrealistic expectations all while being located in a smaller population Midwestern state with little in-state talent of it's own.

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

It's pretty amazing to see just how far the corn have fallen, looking back. I had no idea that they haven't even played in a bowl game since 2016. How is that even possible?

Bet TV sales will spike this week in Nebraska.

So, thinking about the season for Nebraska, I'm struggling to see an outcome better than 6-6 before a bowl. I view that as less likely than 5-7. 4-8 seems most likely, but hey, who knows with the various teams, right? Anywho ...

NW - 0-1

North Dakota - 1-1

Georgia Southern - 2-1

Oklahoma - 2-2 or 3-1 - they played OU tough in Norman. This is a "save my career" game for Frost.

Indiana - 3-2 or 4-1 - I know Tom Allen gets a lot of love, but Indiana sucked last year and this season doesn't offer much hope.

@ Rutgers - 3-3 or 4-2 or 5-1 - Schiano knows what he's doing, but is Rutgers there yet? On the road and Nebraska has sucked on the road. This game could go any route. 

@ Purdue - 3-4 or 4-3 or 5-2 or 6-1 - Purdue *looks* like they should be pretty good. This could be the most important game on the calendar because they could be 4-2 going into this game and if they win it, they're 5-2 and contending for a division title.

Illinois - 3-5 or 4-4 or 5-3 or 6-2 or 7-1 - Bielema's offense will whip that soft front 7 up and down the field all game long. I think Illinois wins this game, but both teams have holes in their roster all over the field. If Nebraska has already shit the bed by this time, they're not winning this game. If they're contending for a division title, this is a game that reminds everybody that they're snakebit.

Minnesota - 3-6 or 4-5 or 5-4 or 6-3 or 7-2 or 8-1 - Fleck is a better version of Frost. The game is in Lincoln. Minnesota is supposed to be decent, but they could lay a giant egg all year just the same as Nebraska. Hard one to pick.

@ Michigan - 3-7 or 4-6 or 5-5 or 6-4 or 7-3 or 8-2 - I don't see a prayer of a win here. I assume this one will get ugly.

Wisconsin - 3-8 or 4-7 or 5-6 or 6-5 or 7-4 or 8-3 - See Michigan game. The difference is that this one is in Lincoln, so perhaps it's closer before Nebraska loses. 

@ Iowa - 3-9 or 4-8 or 5-7 or 6-6 or 7-5 or 8-4 - In Iowa City against a better coached and more talented roster - this is a loss.

So generally speaking, I expect a 4 game losing streak to end of the season, automatic wins versus North Dakota and Georgia Southern, and limited upside beyond that. If they take care of expectations against only Indiana in the Big 10, they're a 3-9 team. It's fucking crazy to think that that could happen two years in a row. They don't even have PSU, Ohio State or MSU on the fucking schedule this year and they could easily go 3-9. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Frost has to beat blOU or he gets fired early October (or earlier if Corn and Frost agree).  If Corn gets blown out, Frost should just step aside immediately in exchange for the $7.5mill Oct buyout (see below)

Scott Frost contract buyout details: What does Nebraska football team owe him?

Schedule

Screenshot_20220828-213810_kindlephoto-21390769.png.c0e8d18a2a48d4a96ce952980350b92d.png

Two wins if Frost coaches all season. Six wins if my dog takes over as HC on Oct 2.

HaHaHaHa 😂😂😂😂

https://brobible.com/sports/article/nebraska-bettors-voicemails-brett-mcmurphy/

The Nebraska loss shocked many in the sports betting world who backed them to cover the 10.5-point spread. One of those surprised was college football insider Brett McMurphy, who believed that this was year that Frost finally broke through. He’s not alone in that opinion, as Kirk Herbstreit picked the Cornhuskers to play for a Big Ten title, but with Nebraska losing, McMurphy got a few angry voicemails after the game.

Nebraska bettors left angry voicemails for Brett McMurphy after loss

Brett McMurphy, who works for a sports betting publication, believed the Cornhuskers would come out on top in this season opener. He was bold enough to put Nebraska in his preseason top 25, a move that’s already aging poorly.

After the loss, some angry voicemails were left at McMurphy’s work desk. Take a listen

The replies are hilarious. One bettor exclaims, “Why do I keep spending money on this team?!”

Another says, “All I gotta hear is how much you guys love Nebraska, they’re going over the pond to make a statement,” trolling the picks from the site experts.

Of course, cappers can’t get every pick right, but with this being the only conference matchup in Week 0, it was a game that folks keyed in on. If there’s one lesson everyone can get out of this, it’s to never trust Nebraska under Scott Frost.

• Haha 4

On 8/28/2022 at 9:45 PM, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

This is a stupid article, and I didn't even read it. How can not one of those games involve Texas when we abused them so badly, in horrible ways, for years that they got so frustrated they left the entire conference? Vasher INT in 02? Late fumble loss in 06? Jamaal Charles in 07? :01 for the Big12 Championship in 09? Squints in 10? C'mon Bill

thank you for saving me from bitching about the paywall

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

HaHaHaHa 😂😂😂😂

https://brobible.com/sports/article/nebraska-bettors-voicemails-brett-mcmurphy/

The Nebraska loss shocked many in the sports betting world who backed them to cover the 10.5-point spread. One of those surprised was college football insider Brett McMurphy, who believed that this was year that Frost finally broke through. He’s not alone in that opinion, as Kirk Herbstreit picked the Cornhuskers to play for a Big Ten title, but with Nebraska losing, McMurphy got a few angry voicemails after the game.

Nebraska bettors left angry voicemails for Brett McMurphy after loss

Brett McMurphy, who works for a sports betting publication, believed the Cornhuskers would come out on top in this season opener. He was bold enough to put Nebraska in his preseason top 25, a move that’s already aging poorly.

After the loss, some angry voicemails were left at McMurphy’s work desk. Take a listen

The replies are hilarious. One bettor exclaims, “Why do I keep spending money on this team?!”

Another says, “All I gotta hear is how much you guys love Nebraska, they’re going over the pond to make a statement,” trolling the picks from the site experts.

Of course, cappers can’t get every pick right, but with this being the only conference matchup in Week 0, it was a game that folks keyed in on. If there’s one lesson everyone can get out of this, it’s to never trust Nebraska under Scott Frost.

McMurphy is such a tool. I was listening to a Houston radio show one time where he was a guest, and the hosts asked him about who the Texans might think about drafting with their top pick. Basically an easy question about who some of the top draft prospects were. McMurphy answered with some dismissive tone about how he "doesn't follow the NFL and wouldn't have any idea about that stuff". A college football insider, being asked about college football prospects, who "doesnt have any idea".

I guess he was right though.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:53 PM, LTtxfan said:

Frost has to beat blOU or he gets fired early October (or earlier if Corn and Frost agree).  If Corn gets blown out, Frost should just step aside immediately in exchange for the $7.5mill Oct buyout (see below)

Scott Frost contract buyout details: What does Nebraska football team owe him?

Schedule

Screenshot_20220828-213810_kindlephoto-21390769.png.c0e8d18a2a48d4a96ce952980350b92d.png

I can see them going 3-9 again. They might surprised Oklahoma, but that's reaching. They could end up upsetting another team, but at most I think corn finishes 5-7 at best.

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

2020 Urban would never bother with a program like Nebraska.

2022 Urban may have no other choice.

I bet Herman would crawl to Lincoln at this point and kneel on corn kernels before the great and powerful Osborn. He needs a rehab, and a team that has been down for this long will be easy to look like a good coach again. I hear Warehime, Orlando, Mehringer, Giles, Valai, Meekins, and McKnight are all buffing cars down at the local car wash. It is a ready made for tv feel good movie. 

Edited by Vertigo

On 8/28/2022 at 10:28 AM, closetojumping said:

I went over to www.huskermax.com which is like their biggest forum site. It’s just sad. They’re talking about the next coach and pleading with the universe to give them someone who will coach toughness, a downhill running game and a defense-first mentality. I suppose they’d also like to have that new coach bring a time machine so they can travel back to the 70’s and play all of their games in an era in which those values were a recipe for success. 

I know Texas has had a tough run too, but watching Nebraska suck for this long and counting has helped me cope. At least Texas has endless resources, fertile recruiting grounds and a massive brand. Nebraska has nothing to rely on to climb out of their vortex of suck except a commitment to football. 

Good luck with that. Good luck getting Aranda or Campbell, too, since that’s who they’re pining for - a reach back to the Big 12 for toughness and defense. 

gyi0061495775.0.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

I can see them going 3-9 again. They might surprised Oklahoma, but that's reaching. They could end up upsetting another team, but at most I think corn finishes 5-7 at best.

Or Venables still has some old Big 8 scores to settle, and keeps his foot on the gas if given the opportunity. 

Nobody hates Neb. more than K-State.
The state of Iowa on line 1.

Huck the Cornfuskers.

Lived in western Iowa until I was 16. Got relatives in both states.

Nothing worse than people who go to college in Iowa and root for Nebraska. I have two cousins who graduated from Iowa St who keep posting pics of themselves in Husker gear. One has a son currently at Iowa St and that kid has Husker stuff all over his FB.
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don’t know if our fanbase has achieved the level of depth in both angst and depression that Nebraska fans are reaching down into right now on HuskerMax. It is legitimately scary to look at from the outside. And it is also awesome. 

They still think Thompson is awesome, even after he blatantly blamed the defense and coaches for the loss last night in the post game. They are now all over the concept of hiring Patterson to replace Frost. I actually think that would be a good move. 

12 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

No, Nebraska will not have a better record than Kansas.

I read that and thought to myself, "Next season?  What about this season?"  But then I saw the thread was started in February and is at 15 pages so far.  So all credit to AUDNZD.