A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So it looks like my theory that Trumpco liked Dearie because he signed the Carter Page warrants is truthy.  

The flip side is that he has seen evidence of the shit that was going on with Russia and may not be particularly sympathetic to the dotard.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hahaha. Bwahahaha.  What a fucking load.  

Dearie is going to end up being their worst enemy.  Countdown before Trump starts calling him some kind of traitor or dumb-dumb.

Dearie:  Counsel, you asked for this proceeding, ostensibly for return of certain of these documents.  You at least partially invoked Rule 41.  You implied and insinuated all through your briefing that declassification may be a ground for returning documents.  The offenses under investigation do not contain classification as an element of the offense.  Whether the fact of declassification constitutes a defense in another proceeding is not my concern.  If you are going to assert it as a ground for returning these documents or keeping the government from investigating them, you are damn well going to give me an evidentiary and factual basis to do so.

Too bad this couldn't be Texas Style Deposition

Spoiler

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Horndog said:

The flip side is that he has seen evidence of the shit that was going on with Russia and may not be particularly sympathetic to the dotard.

As I said and as that article underscores, that facile take on where Dearie's sympathies lie is yet another grotesque miscalculation on the part of Trump's legal team.

The very fact that Dearie, first shot out of the box, asked team Trump for declarations on the declassification meme, shows that he sees right through the bullshit and intends to cut through it like the proverbial hot knife.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Whatever the document, it's either gonna be pre-dated, or written like Juan Epstein's "note from home" in Welcome Back Kotter.

Judge, "Uh, Mr. Trump...this is signed by your mother.  It has to be signed by your successor."

Trump, "Yeah, and I succeeded my mother when she died.  It's all legitimate."  

I get that MAGA nation is clinging to the notion there is some legal ambiguity for this investigation and these proceedings and these security protocols...but what they fail to grasp (among so much more) is that there are not incredibly clear laws on not removing state secrets after you leave office to just have around the house.  Because to have drawn them up specifically for a former President would have been laughable, not to mention made America nervous as fuck during the Cold War.  You can't hide that from Congress or the public.

Imagine Cronkite in the 60's or '70's coming on TV to announce, "And news today from Capitol Hill, where several modifications to the Espionage Act and 18 U.S.c were made to prevent any President, upon leaving office, from taking with him or her any classified documents or materials.  This would of course include nuclear secrets about our nation or our allies.  Just totally on a whim, a loophole caught by a junior staffer."  Telling Americans that military and intelligence community people can't take that stuff puts them at ease.  Tell them the President can't or can, we would had complete meltdown of society.But there is enough on the books that suggest this man is proper fucked.

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As I said and as that article underscores, that facile take on where Dearie's sympathies lie is yet another grotesque miscalculation on the part of Trump's legal team.

The very fact that Dearie, first shot out of the box, asked team Trump for declarations on the declassification meme, shows that he sees right through the bullshit and intends to cut through it like the proverbial hot knife.

True.  But trump'll just file some other nonsense motion with Cannon, asking for special master Judge Jeanine, or something equally silly.  And he'll get it, or at least delay Dearie's review until after the election.  I hope I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so what happens tomorrow?  besides, you know, nothing?

Well team Trump responds to the motion to stay in the 11th Circuit and it will be ripe for a ruling.

They're gonna meet in Crooklyn and discuss things with the Special Master.

There's not going to be a "penalty" for not submitting declarations/affidavits on the declassification issue, except that I believe Dearie will rule that, without any sort of factual underpinning, he won't accept arguments based on declassification.

If the stay is granted, and I would expect a ruling by the end of the week, the classified documents may be off the table, entirely.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

True.  But trump'll just file some other nonsense motion with Cannon, asking for special master Judge Jeanine, or something equally silly.  And he'll get it, or at least delay Dearie's review until after the election.  I hope I'm wrong.

Well, as an experienced judge, the contrast between Dearie's rulings and Cannon's will become stark, and she will continue to lose credibility in a way that I don't think she can tolerate.   And I bet the old dude is going to be canny about putting her in an untenable spot, just like he just did with Trump.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, as an experienced judge, the contrast between Dearie's rulings and Cannon's will become stark, and she will continue to lose credibility in a way that I don't think she can tolerate.   And I bet the old dude is going to be canny about putting her in an untenable spot, just like he just did with Trump.

Dat lifetime appointment, tho.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Something I believe is that the "MAGA true believers" think that Trump is acting in good faith and that he's the victim of a witch hunt. If she's of that line of thinking what Trump did today kind of pops that bubble - she gave him exactly what he wanted in order to help clear his name and now he and his team are balking at that aid. 

Maybe accidentally "giving him enough rope to hang himself" for lack of a better term...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Dat lifetime appointment, tho.

She has a certain amount of professional pride, I'm sure.  Dearie may force her into her own version of the increasingly bad decisions of Todd Margaret.

And, ultimately, her hypocrisy will extend only so far.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He’ jealous:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/marthas-vineyard-migrants-trump-desantis-mad-1234595332/

IN RECENT DAYS,  Donald Trump has privately voiced his anger over Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis sending planeloads of migrants to Martha’s Vineyard. Trump’s displeasure, however, has nothing to do with moral revulsions at the governor using human beings as unsuspecting pawns for a political attack. Instead, Trump is telling allies and confidants he’s outraged that DeSantis seems to think he’s allowed to steal the ex-president’s mantle as both media star, and as undocumented-immigrant-basher-in-chief.

Since the Florida Republican — possibly under false pretenses — flew migrants from the Texas-Mexico border to Massachusetts, Trump has pointedly complained to some of his closest associates that DeSantis is attempting to take the national news cycle away from him, two sources with knowledge of the matter tell Rolling Stone.

Trump has fumed over all the praise DeSantis’ action has been receiving in influential conservative circles lately — such as on right-wing media like Fox News — and has privately accused DeSantis of doing this largely to generate a 2024 polling boost for himself among GOP voters. (Earlier this month, Trump and his political operation blasted out a brief statement claiming, “Mar-a-Lago raid gave Trump a 10-point boost over DeSantis with Republican primary voters, poll shows.”)

59 minutes ago, Satchel said:

He’ jealous:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/marthas-vineyard-migrants-trump-desantis-mad-1234595332/

IN RECENT DAYS,  Donald Trump has privately voiced his anger over Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis sending planeloads of migrants to Martha’s Vineyard. Trump’s displeasure, however, has nothing to do with moral revulsions at the governor using human beings as unsuspecting pawns for a political attack. Instead, Trump is telling allies and confidants he’s outraged that DeSantis seems to think he’s allowed to steal the ex-president’s mantle as both media star, and as undocumented-immigrant-basher-in-chief.

Since the Florida Republican — possibly under false pretenses — flew migrants from the Texas-Mexico border to Massachusetts, Trump has pointedly complained to some of his closest associates that DeSantis is attempting to take the national news cycle away from him, two sources with knowledge of the matter tell Rolling Stone.

Trump has fumed over all the praise DeSantis’ action has been receiving in influential conservative circles lately — such as on right-wing media like Fox News — and has privately accused DeSantis of doing this largely to generate a 2024 polling boost for himself among GOP voters. (Earlier this month, Trump and his political operation blasted out a brief statement claiming, “Mar-a-Lago raid gave Trump a 10-point boost over DeSantis with Republican primary voters, poll shows.”)

let them fight fighting GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

She has a certain amount of professional pride, I'm sure.  Dearie may force her into her own version of the increasingly bad decisions of Todd Margaret.

Have you seen MAGA over the last six years?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The only real limit on her hypocrisy is people who actually call it out and demand accountability for it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's not incriminate himself.

His legal team is saying it doesn't want to give facts supporting the alleged declassification thing, because that might constitute a defense to a criminal case later on.  That is a mostly spurious argument.

What he doesn't want to do is take a position on whether he declassified now.  First, because it would be a lie and it would probably be sniffed out between now and any criminal trial, and second, he doesn't want to perjure himself until he has to.

I am fairly certain that Dearie is going to say, you don't want to give evidence now, fine.  Shut the fuck up about declassification until you do.

He will rule in Trumps favor. If he doesn’t Trump will just declare his candidacy. Then when DOJ indicts, there will be a year more of lawsuits about how a DOJ can’t indict a presidential candidate. You will tell us commoners that technically that’s never been decided by the courts, and we must go through the circus once more. Trump will then use that court case to garner support. After he’s re-elected, he will fire the DOJ and end the case. Because that is the timeline we are on 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Former White House attorney Eric Herschmann warned DOTARD in 2021 that there was a potential for investigations and legal liability if he didn't return governmental materials/documents taken when he left office.

https://dnyuz.com/2022/09/19/trump-was-warned-late-last-year-of-potential-legal-peril-over-documents/

A onetime White House lawyer under President Donald J. Trump warned him late last year that Mr. Trump could face legal liability if he did not return government materials he had taken with him when he left office, three people familiar with the matter said.

The lawyer, Eric Herschmann, sought to impress upon Mr. Trump the seriousness of the issue and the potential for investigations and legal exposure if he did not return the documents, particularly any classified material, the people said.

The account of the conversation is the latest evidence that Mr. Trump had been informed of the legal perils of holding onto material that is now at the heart of a Justice Department criminal investigation into his handling of the documents and the possibility that he or his aides engaged in obstruction.

In January, not long after the discussion with Mr. Herschmann, Mr. Trump turned over to the National Archives 15 boxes of material he had taken with him from the White House. Those boxes turned out to contain 184 classified documents, the Justice Department has said.

But Mr. Trump continued to hold onto a considerable cache of other documents, including some with the highest security classification, until returning some under subpoena in June and having even more seized in a court-authorized search of his Mar-a-Lago residence and private club by F.B.I. agents last month.

The precise date of the late 2021 meeting between Mr. Trump and Mr. Herschmann is unclear. It was also unclear what, if any, awareness Mr. Herschmann had of what was in the boxes.

But by then, the National Archives had told associates of Mr. Trump that it was missing documents like original copies of his presidential correspondence with the North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un and the letter left for him by President Barack Obama. Archives officials said they had been told by then that there were roughly two dozen boxes of documents that had been in the White House residence and which qualified as presidential records, which had never been sent to the archives.

By the time of the meeting, Mr. Herschmann, a former prosecutor, was not working with or for Mr. Trump, from whom the National Archives had spent months trying to procure missing material.

Mr. Trump thanked Mr. Herschmann for the discussion but was noncommittal about his plans for returning the documents, the people familiar with the conversation said.

Mr. Herschmann, who defended Mr. Trump during his first impeachment trial but tried to stop several efforts by outside advisers aimed at keeping him in power after he lost the 2020 election, declined to comment. A spokesman for Mr. Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The meeting between Mr. Herschmann and Mr. Trump has not been previously reported, and it adds to the picture of Mr. Trump’s interactions with several people about returning the documents in the months before the National Archives retrieved 15 boxes of material in January of this year. When they went through the boxes, officials at the archives discovered that they contained nearly 200 individual classified documents.

Some of Mr. Trump’s advisers, including informal ones such as Tom Fitton, of the conservative legal advocacy group Judicial Watch, have told the former president that he could hold onto the documents as personal records, according to people briefed on their discussions.

Mr. Trump is facing not just the investigation over potential mishandling of government records, but also a number of other inquiries, including a wide-ranging Justice Department investigation into what led to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol and a state investigation in Georgia into efforts to overturn the outcome of the 2020 election.

Lawyers for Mr. Trump turned over an additional set of classified documents in June. The F.B.I. then carried out a search warrant at Mar-a-Lago on Aug. 8 and retrieved more than 100 additional individual documents with classified markings.

A federal judge in Florida has at least temporarily barred the Justice Department from using the material seized in the search in pursuing its criminal investigation. On Friday, the department asked a federal appeals court to let the F.B.I. regain access to those 100 or so sensitive documents so it could continue the inquiry and assess the national security risks stemming from Mr. Trump keeping them in an unsecured location.

The special master appointed to determine whether the material seized in the search is subject to attorney-client privilege or executive privilege is scheduled to meet with lawyers for Mr. Trump and the Justice Department on Tuesday.

The post Trump Was Warned Late Last Year of Potential Legal Peril Over Documents appeared first on New York Times.

Do the people who write these articles not understand that it's intentional? Yeah, he knew he wasn't allowed to take them. He did it knowing it would become a big deal and he could use it as yet another grievance to lie to his braindead fans and rile them up. He knows he'll never face consequences because as long as his 2a worshipers are angry he thinks they'll take to the streets and just start killing people. I truly hope he's overplayed his hand and he faces consequences. I think he may also have ignored that his gun toting followers are full-on cowards who talk big but ultimately won't do shit (outside a few maniacs). But it's not like he truly thought he could keep them, and he didn't need a private lawyer to tell him that.

Do the people who write these articles not understand that it's intentional? Yeah, he knew he wasn't allowed to take them. He did it knowing it would become a big deal and he could use it as yet another grievance to lie to his braindead fans and rile them up. He knows he'll never face consequences because as long as his 2a worshipers are angry he thinks they'll take to the streets and just start killing people. I truly hope he's overplayed his hand and he faces consequences. I think he may also have ignored that his gun toting followers are full-on cowards who talk big but ultimately won't do shit (outside a few maniacs). But it's not like he truly thought he could keep them, and he didn't need a private lawyer to tell him that.

It matters if he’s prosecuted. He will have one hell of a time convincing a jury about his lack of knowledge. DOJ will have the knowledge element of the crime pinned down.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

It matters if he’s prosecuted. He will have one hell of a time convincing a jury about his lack of knowledge. DOJ will have the knowledge element of the crime pinned down.

And the fact that it was said in the presence of others eliminates possible attorney- client privilege. 

Googled the name of a guy that wrote Judge Cannon and put on the docket his PROOF that Trump is the true president.  Turns out . . . Surprise!  He was a Jan 6er visited by the FBI and wrote the paper to say that too in the summer!

Editor:

I see that January 6th, 2021 remains in the news. I, Steven A. Colon, declare to the people that I went and was at the Capitol Building on Jan. 6, 2021.

I sent the January 6th Select Committee a signed, sworn before notary affidavit of why I went to DC and up to the Capitol Building on Jan. 6, 2021.

I went along with a large number of Americans because the U.S. Constitution was attacked and voter fraud was open and obvious. I give the people notice that a coup d’état happened at noon on January 20th in the year of our Lord 2021, resulting in an unconstitutional pseudo US government.

I give notice that the F.B.I. already came out and saw me. They did not want a signed statement or see a video of Ashli Babbitt getting shot. I sent out many notices, affidavits, amicus briefs and grievance letters.

President Donald J. Trump had in no way led me up to the Capitol Building on Jan. 6, 2021; Treasonist, traitorous, lying rat actions drove me there. I stand by what I have written and will defend what I wrote in a court of law.

I am in Lyndonville, NY. Willing to talk and explain how the people can help make America great again. Get involved, do not sit in the bleachers.

“However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.” ― George Washington

Steven A. Colon

Lyndonville

https://orleanshub.com/lyndonville-man-who-went-to-capitol-on-jan-6-said-he-was-protesting-voter-fraud/

They're not sending their best, folks.

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement