The GOP Civil War

PenelopeWitherspoon

Welp, it seems like it is happening. George W Bush is wading in to support Liz Chaney.

https://www.newsweek.com/george-w-bush-wades-gop-civil-war-matt-gaetz-stirs-wyoming-revolt-1565611

It started on inauguration day, and this is the most in the public eye he has been in for years. I, like others, wished he had spoken out against Trump earlier.

We may have three major political parties once this is over.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Well see. At this point it’s more of a wet shart as opposed to a civil war. I don’t think GW bush has any sway with Anyone anymore. Dems hate him (I like him fine), republicans seem generally dismissive of him as well. 

Cheney is going to lose in a landslide. And the precedent will be set, but the outcome will be obvious to all before 2022. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

I don’t have much faith in the non Trump side winning. Crazy that rank & file members are traveling across the country to campaign against someone in gop leadership, 2 years before the next election.

It’s the trump strategy, walk in a room and punch the top guy. Teach everyone else they need to get in line.

George is too little too late. The comparisons to Nazi Germany were always relevant, despite the GOP screaming not to do so. They are consolidating power and now working through the courts (voting) and also working with GOP states that have what they call the trifecta to affect legislation.

This is what they're doing, it's what fascists do. All the rank and file people who poo-poo this are going to be watching them stroll into the WH in four years.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, George Will is a radical leftist compared to where the GOP is at today. The thing is, he’s stood still while the party plunged to the right over the past 40 years. When Reagan took office, Will was in lock step with so called Republican values. He speaks the same way now as he did back then. But not only have so called Republican values changed over that time, there’s no longer a place for an educated, articulate voice with the vocabulary of a college graduate in the GOP universe anymore.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Welp, it seems like it is happening. George W Bush is wading in to support Liz Chaney.

Wonder if this will spill over into Texas politics with George P. Bush, since he's going to be taking on Paxton, Goeb, or Abbott at some point in the near future.

I could see Goeb or Paxton trying to use this against George P., and making him defend his family agains the Trumpkins.

Edited by atomheartbevo

GOP Rep. Kinzinger to start new PAC to challenge party’s Trump supporters

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/31/gop-rep-kinzinger-start-new-pac-challenge-partys-trump-supporters/

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), one of 10 Republicans to vote to impeach Donald Trump earlier this month, has launched a new leadership political action committee that is designed to become a financial engine to challenge the former president’s wing of the GOP caucus and stand up against a leadership team still aligned with him.

Spoiler

Kinzinger, a onetime star of the 2010 Tea Party class, said the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol served as a final breaking point for the direction of the Republican Party, providing a stark divide between those who want to continue a path toward autocracy and those who want to return to traditional conservative values.

“The reality is this: This is a time to choose … And my goal in launching CountryFirst.com is just to say, look, let’s take a look at the last four years, how far we have come in a bad way, how backward looking we are, how much we peddle darkness and division,” Kinzinger said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” formally unveiling his Country First PAC and a 6-minute campaign-style video launching what he hopes will become a movement. “And that’s not the party I ever signed up for. And I think most Republicans didn’t sign up for that.”

Kinzinger previewed the launch in a Saturday interview with a small group of reporters on a Zoom call, alternating between taking shots at Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.), whose QAnon conspiracy theories have drawn great attention in recent days, and being dismissive toward what he views as the weak leadership of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.).

“Republicans must say enough is enough. It’s time to unplug the outrage machine, reject the politics of personality, and cast aside the conspiracy theories and the rage,” Kinzinger says in the launch video.

Kinzinger said in the days after the assault on the Capitol he felt some optimism as McCarthy said Trump “bears responsibility” for encouraging the rioting mob to attack Congress and target then-Vice President Mike Pence. McCarthy quickly backed away from that remark and on Thursday he praised the ex-president after a meeting at his Palm Beach resort.

“That’s a heck of a move in about three weeks. It’s hard to square that circle,” Kinzinger told reporters Saturday. He suggested that McCarthy is not even the most powerful member of the GOP caucus anymore, but that it was Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) “for sure” now.

Jordan was an outcast just a few years ago who banded together with about 30 other far-right conservatives and, after forging a strong alliance with Trump, has soared to vast power over McCarthy’s leadership team while making alliances with figures like Taylor Greene while trying to expel Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) from the leadership team because she voted to impeach Trump.

“They’re political terrorists,” Kinzinger said of Jordan and his allies.

He called Wednesday’s formal meeting of the House Republican Conference — when Republicans will debate Cheney’s status and discuss whether to punish Taylor Greene for her controversial actions — “the opening salvo in the fight for the party.”

Kinzinger, 42, said he does not want to play any leading role in the GOP and has no ambition to run for higher office, but said too many Republicans were remaining quiet and just hoping Trumpism will fade away without fully confronting it.

He said that his push is not really around ideology so much as it was focused on driving the conspiracy theorists and racists out of the GOP.

“We don’t embrace conspiracy theories to win anymore,” he said. “Would we lose the Proud Boys? Maybe, I’m fine with that.”

Edited by Bevo in VA
formatting
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Dubya and Liz Cheney vs. what the GOP has become. We already know the outcome. We see it every year when Alabama takes a week off to play an FCS team.

Or when Alabama plays aggy 

10 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

[plaintive violin][slowly panning camera]

My Dearest Lorelei,

Today I wished the Libtard Philosophers had been right with their ancient claim of Global Warming, and indeed I should have praised their sagacity, had it rid us of this inch of snow that dusted the battlefield as some of us slept, others kept watch, and a few poor boys stifled their moans.

And yet I welcome the snow, as it helps dim the memory of yesterday's horrors that I hesitate to pen, were they to somehow disturb the sleep of our own little Hezekiah, Ruth, and Bibbie. Intermingled in the white powder, as if aslumber, one sees former foemen forever at peace, only their garb giving away what transitory allegiances they held dear in life-- here, a fine silk tie still perfectly knotted, there, a red cap still rakishly askew. In a happier time one might have known either soul as a friend, he in the tie humble-boasting about petty tribulations at the firm, the red-capped fellow explaining why the warranty did not cover a part. Only a year before they might have chanted "Lock Her Up!" Now they lie silent.

Pray for us all, my darling, and let us look forward to happier times. I hear the hired Mexicans approaching from the rear, and shall go lead them to where we must dig the new entrenchments.

With tenderness,

Your Earl Wayne

[/violin][/camera]

Your proper reading background music...bravo

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 1/31/2021 at 10:06 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, George Will is a radical leftist compared to where the GOP is at today. The thing is, he’s stood still while the party plunged to the right over the past 40 years. When Reagan took office, Will was in lock step with so called Republican values. He speaks the same way now as he did back then. But not only have so called Republican values changed over that time, there’s no longer a place for an educated, articulate voice with the vocabulary of a college graduate in the GOP universe anymore.

The thing is, the party didn't change its actual positions much. It just turned up the volume on the racism.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 8:42 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Well see. At this point it’s more of a wet shart as opposed to a civil war. I don’t think GW bush has any sway with Anyone anymore. Dems hate him (I like him fine), republicans seem generally dismissive of him as well. 

Cheney is going to lose in a landslide. And the precedent will be set, but the outcome will be obvious to all before 2022. 

Yep.  War's over, has been for a while.

On 1/31/2021 at 8:57 AM, Neonmoon said:

95% Radical Trumpism aka White Nationalist 

5% pro Democracy “fiscal conservatives”

not much of a war. 

Agreed.

On 1/31/2021 at 9:56 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

George is too little too late. The comparisons to Nazi Germany were always relevant, despite the GOP screaming not to do so. They are consolidating power and now working through the courts (voting) and also working with GOP states that have what they call the trifecta to affect legislation.

This is what they're doing, it's what fascists do. All the rank and file people who poo-poo this are going to be watching them stroll into the WH in four years.

This is exactly what we have.  The time has long passed for wondering/talking about whether there will be a GOP party split.  There won't be.

And what follows is this: the opposition needs to deal with the GOP on two fronts.  First, they need to defeat them electorally, as they would any political opposition.  Second, they need to deal with them as a fascist insurgency intent on seizing power through any means necessary.  That means reading the history books, and taking measures to undermine their attacks (for example.....our internal intelligence apparatus is going to have to start monitoring activity within our own military, and using actual loyalists to the country within the military to isolate and squash the insurgent movement within our military.  The GOP is focused on building that insurgency, with the ultimate goal of having sufficient military loyalists in the right places to seize power.  They have told us that's what they want, and it's a textbook move for a fascist movement -- we should believe them.

• Rage+1 2

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

And the treason, insurgency and sedition parts, don't forget those. 

Well, Reagan's campaign did negotiate with Iran to get them to delay the release of the hostages, which I would consider treasonish. And they may not have fomented a domestic insurgency, but I think that's mostly because they didn't feel the need to do so and they were so busy with the hundreds of other crimes they were committing and covering up. Hell, Reagan even ignored an epidemic too!

The GOP hasn't changed. It just used to be easier for guys like George Will and David Brooks to ignore all the horrible shit and still get invited to DC cocktail parties.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Well, Reagan's campaign did negotiate with Iran to get them to delay the release of the hostages, which I would consider treasonish. And they may not have fomented a domestic insurgency, but I think that's mostly because they didn't feel the need to do so and they were so busy with the hundreds of other crimes they were committing and covering up. Hell, Reagan even ignored an epidemic too!

The GOP hasn't changed. It just used to be easier for guys like George Will and David Brooks to ignore all the horrible shit and still get invited to DC cocktail parties.

I Guess If You Say So GIF

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

And he's siding with Liz Cheney.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/politics/liz-cheney-mitch-mcconnell/index.html

I have to admit, I was skeptical that Turtle would take on the qanon wing, but they seem to be costing the GOP some money and some hellacious blowback/embarrassment, not to mention that many donations to Trump are potentially money that could have went into the GOP's coffers.

And Turtle is realizing that he better strike now, before this truly spills over into 2022 and starts costing the Republicans elections as Trump and the Boys try to primary sitting republicans.

Turtle's got a bit of a bite if he's calling Greene "loonie" and a "cancer"

640px-Common_Snapping_Turtle_(3629054087

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And he's siding with Liz Cheney.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/politics/liz-cheney-mitch-mcconnell/index.html

I have to admit, I was skeptical that Turtle would take on the qanon wing, but they seem to be costing the GOP some money and some hellacious blowback/embarrassment, not to mention that many donations to Trump are potentially money that could have went into the GOP's coffers.

And Turtle is realizing that he better strike now, before this truly spills over into 2022 and starts costing the Republicans elections as Trump and the Boys try to primary sitting republicans.

Turtle's got a bit of a bite if he's calling Greene "loonie" and a "cancer"

640px-Common_Snapping_Turtle_(3629054087

image.gif.61b17f77eca249edd6a30fb73fa8ebed.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

don lemon reporting dems demand turtle strip jew laser committee assignments in 72 hours or they bring the matter to the house floor

/popcorn

McConnell is in the senate. MTG is in the house.  The democrats would be demanding Kevin McCarthy? Not Mitch McConnell. 

You know the Cheneys have developed a Space Laser.  He used it to shoot Harry Whittington.  

Shit, did I say "Space Laser"?  I meant "Face Laser."  

The ol' "should we allow members of our party to voice support for executing members of the opposition party" moral dilemma. I can see how you're struggling with this ethical head-scratcher, GOP, particularly when you're trying to claim Trump DIDN'T incite a deadly insurrection. How could anyone suggest your party would allow such a thing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1