Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

we know him so well that everyone in the seeded draft absolutely refused to pick marquette. it was hilarious. even huckleberry, who literally just runs his computer simulations and then picks the team his computer tells him to pick, passed on marquette. they were at the top of his queue, and for the first time ever he was like, "nah, this computer is tripping." that's so fucking funny to me. iirc, by the time marquette got picked there was like one or two 2 seeds left, marquette, and then all of the 15 and 16 seeds. too damn funny, and 100% the correct move.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

aggy may have a legit argument about Marquette getting in over them.

"AGGIES" are beating UCONN right now on TNT.

6.4 seconds left and New Mexico State is getting ready to pull off the 12>5 upset.

Edited by Napoleon

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

Isn't Marquette mostly FR and RSFR?

Getting blown by 30 is usually not due to coaching...

But it happened, so point....

Yeah they were the first tournament team ever to have freshmen play meaningful minutes.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Marquette caught a lopsided first-round loss for their third straight appearance in the NCAA tournament

Cole Huff  2 hrs ago

It’s the opening round of the NCAA Tournament and Marquette is getting blown out. Does that sound familiar? Feeling a bit of deja vu?

The No. 9 Golden Eagles quickly put to bed any notion that they were ready to turn the page on their recent NCAA Tourney shortcomings and return to the prime Marquette basketball years. The North Carolina Tar Heels (-3) led Marquette by 28 at halftime and built its lead to 35 points before eventually handing the Big East squad a 95-63 beatdown — Marquette’s third-straight first-round loss of at least 19 points.

What did we expect would happen? Well, my college basketball knowledge (and slight Big East bias) told me that Marquette should be able to handle a solid UNC team coming from a down ACC. Or perhaps the memories of Shaka Smart and his 2011 Final Four VCU team that ran through my mind in the lead-up to this game, which made Marquette a fine pick.

But the reality was that the Golden Eagles more closely resembled their end-of-season selves (4-6 in their last 10 games) than the 15-6 team that they were to begin the year, beating teams like Villanova (twice) and Illinois.

We should have seen this coming.

Nevertheless, Marquette’s NCAA Tournament woes continue while first-year head coach Hubert Davis gets his first NCAA Tournament win and the Tar Heels move on to the second for a date with the defending champion Baylor Bears.

• Haha 1

How on earth does any AD look at Shaka’s body of work and think this will be a great hire?  I’m going to a used book store, picking up a copy of this and sending it to the Marquette athletic department. 

spacer.png

I wouldn’t usually disparage someone who seemed like a likable person but the man got paid millions and millions of dollars to recruit elite talent and completely waste it in Austin.

6 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Woke up at three and couldn't sleep so I spent the last two hours on muscoop.  It is absolutely glorious. Their utter delusion and belief that they still signed a high level coach.  

That’s sites almost unreadable.   Looks like blogspot or Wordpress from 1999.  

Man, I try to avoid this thread because I don't want to pile on the guy.  But holy shit, that was an epic loss by his team yesterday.  The most shocking thing is that they somehow managed to score 63 points.  I guess it helped that UNC didn't really play defense the last 10 minutes of the game.  I love the 3 free throws Marquette made.  Three.  Only three more than I made and I'm not a team in the NCAA Tournament.  

Shaka, seriously.  You've been exposed, yet again.  

If you really want to parse out just how mediocre he's been since VCU moved to the A10:

2013: 5 lost to 4 in the R32 (acceptable, but he did get blown out by 25 to the eventual runner up)
2014: 5 lost to 12 by 2 in the R64 (SFA, holla)
2015: 7 lost to 10 by 3 in the R64 (pretty common)
2016: 6 lost to 11 by 3 (buzzer beater half court) - today is the anniversary of that shot
2018: 10 lost to 7 by 4
2021: 3 lost to 14 by 1 
2022: 9 lost to 8 by 32 fucking points

He just can't fucking close the deal.  And now he's getting ridiculously blown out in what is supposed to be the most competitive matchup

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Didn't that SFA loss feature a 4 point play when the only possible way they could lose is if they fouled a 3-pt shot?

Yes.  VCU missed 2 FTs (sounds about right) and then SFA hit a three + the foul = OT

VCU missed a three at the buzzer in OT.  Predictably, wide open and missed it.  A hallmark of a Shaka offense. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Does bitterwhiteguy have a article up yet about how great Shaka still is?

If he did, I bet it would be titled something like "What you do or do not do in March does not define your career" or some shit.   With a paragraph about how an NCAA Runner-Up finish at Texas fucking Tech doesn't make you a great coach if your offense is boring to watch. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

So for the non basketball junkies on here like me, what the hell happened in that VCU final four run?  Did some VCU guard start hitting 80% from 3s for 4 games while each opponent lost their star to injury? 

I can't fathom how shaka made the final four with a small school.  It's like me banging Salma Hayek, theoretically possible but still mind bottling (sic).