Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t want to kick the man while he’s down, but Sark not offering Coleman an off the field role or waiting until he could find a soft landing says something. Sark appears to be genuinely  pissed about Coleman’s performance and he canned him. 

Should never have left his ass on the staff to begin with. Coleman has never done shit while here but cash a check.

• Rage+1 1

I don’t want to kick the man while he’s down, but Sark not offering Coleman an off the field role or waiting until he could find a soft landing says something. Sark appears to be genuinely  pissed about Coleman’s performance and he canned him. 

Which to me is a bit odd. He’d been trying to hire him for years and various stops.

10 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Cam has elite feet for a guy that big, and dudes bounce off of him like he is made of rubber. My only complaint is that he plays way too high, likely because he doesn't need to get his pad level down when you weigh 100 lbs more than everyone else. Flood will need to coach that up, but otherwise this kid has a chance to be a difference maker when he cleans up the technique. 

My biggest take away was he is generally bored. He is content to just push guys around. When he missed blocks this was the biggest reason. He would push a guy, but the guy would end up coming back into the play. He was nails in pass protection and it was notable, because Early the 4 star OT going to FSU struggled all game. I actually liked his feet and when he had to he moved well. He is going to be interesting, because he is lazy because he so much bigger and can be. I watched all the Texas commits and targets, I thought he was the most impressive of the championship weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I always thought that sounded like coach’s speak. Holman Wiggins probably said no, and Sark settled. 

With his budget, he should never settle. 

It would have been easier to get a good WR coach and better DC for that matter if we didn't wait until after January to make a move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's like we all knew he was a terrible coach and recruiter from his first year here yet Sark still kept him.  Same thing happened when Charlie kept Bruce Chambers and we all knew he had checked out years ago.  I find it hard sometimes when the casual fan can pin point problematic areas yet coaches can't see the glaring problems.  He should have never kept him from the previous staff.  He let go some very good coaches in Hutzler, Yurcich, Ash.  The one good hire I guess was keeping Drayton, but half the board would disagree.   Anyways, Sark should be pissed at himself because it's absolutely unacceptable that you cannot recruit more than 1 fucking WR after the season Worthy just had and after having Devonta Smith win the Heisman.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It's like we all knew he was a terrible coach and recruiter from his first year here yet Sark still kept him.  Same thing happened when Charlie kept Bruce Chambers and we all knew he had checked out years ago.  I find it hard sometimes when the casual fan can pin point problematic areas yet coaches can't see the glaring problems.  He should have never kept him from the previous staff.  He let go some very good coaches in Hutzler, Yurcich, Ash.  The one good hire I guess was keeping Drayton, but half the board would disagree.   Anyways, Sark should be pissed at himself because it's absolutely unacceptable that you cannot recruit more than 1 fucking WR after the season Worthy just had and after having Devonta Smith win the Heisman.  

He didn’t even land Brenen Thompson. Banks did.

Banks basically took over all of Coleman’s recruitments around the summertime when Sark realized he couldn’t handle it. If we don’t do that we probably don’t land anyone at the position because Thompson was trending to A&M before Banks stepped in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Oh man. Yeah I’m good with missing on those two. 

This is a terrible fucking take. 

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I always thought that sounded like coach’s speak. Holman Wiggins probably said no, and Sark settled. 

Another terrible take. He kept Coleman because he idiotically believed that Coleman would help with continuity and genuinely thought he was a good tactical coach. 

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Even the Drayton haters understood and were fine with the concept that you had to keep him to keep Bijan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

On one hand I appreciate the insight, but that shit was completely uncalled for. No need ot shit on a man's grave on social media. 

I would stay far away from this guy as much as possible. Margin Hooks seems to be a better trainer and couldn't possibly be a worse person. 

Edited by Vertigo

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think a few WR coaches said no (Wiggins, Colbert, Riley's butt buddy)

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

On one hand I appreciate the insight, but that shit was completely uncalled for. No need ot shit on a man's grave on social media. 

It's also fucking stupid. Coaches at all levels don't appreciate their colleagues getting called out by street agents

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Why should we tie one hand behind our back on when and how we can upgrade the staff?  This seems like a uniquely Texas sentiment.

Edited by WBT

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I think a few WR coaches said no (Wiggins, Colbert, Riley's butt buddy)

I think Sark also got to the point after the top end said no of choosing which other coach on Herman’s staff to keep to help with continuity that was the least harmful in the short run.

Looking back now, if Sark was dead set on keeping 2 hold overs I would have thought maybe Hutzler on D over Coleman on O, but I don’t know how the internal politics were set up with the team.

The real question is why did Sark want to keep another of Turtle Toms Mental Midgets beyond Stan, and did he keep Coleman in the end because the “hole” at WR + keeping some additional holdovers for continuity was better than the JAG WR coach options he could have lined up at that time.

Regardless, Sark kept him a year and found him lacking to the point that they essentially took away his recruiting role and booted him instead of trying to move to an off the field role. Sark deserves some flack for keeping him, but more importantly needs to be ripped if they don’t have a significant improvement in place sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I would stay far away from this guy as much as possible. Margin Hooks seems to be a better trainer and couldn't possibly be a worse person. 

High school coaches despise this guy/others like him because they fear losing control/influence over HS recruits like what happened with HS basketball and AAU.  Sark could probably make friends with some HS coaches by not catering to folks like him. That being said, there is value in maintaining contact with this guy and not shitting on him, because it's not just him, he has other elite level trainers working out with prized recruits at his facility too. 

FWK's model (among others) is to get paid from NFL athletes and parents of less talented hs players. While I'm sure it would be welcomed and could have happened in the past, he doesn't need bags of cash from universities. Just let him come on campus every once in a while, and don't shit on him and we should be fine.  We are aligned somewhat with FWK in the respect that he wants his guys to develop and then come pay him once they make the league.  

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

High school coaches despise this guy/others like him because they fear losing control/influence over HS recruits like what happened with HS basketball and AAU.  Sark could probably make friends with some HS coaches by not catering to folks like him. That being said, there is value in maintaining contact with this guy and not shitting on him, because it's not just him, he has other elite level trainers working out with prized recruits at his facility too. 

FWK's model (among others) is to get paid from NFL athletes and parents of less talented hs players. While I'm sure it would be welcomed and could have happened in the past, he doesn't need bags of cash from universities. Just let him come on campus every once in a while, and don't shit on him and we should be fine.  We are aligned somewhat with FWK in the respect that he wants his guys to develop and then come pay him once they make the league.  

This here. There are a lot of shitty HS position coaches too. If those top talent kids happen to be playing for one I don't blame them for looking elsewhere to help their game.

Like trainers or not, they are getting more involved in the top athletes and having more influence on them.

FWIW he's a big fan of Brennan Marion being a candidate.

It's also fucking stupid. Coaches at all levels don't appreciate their colleagues getting called out by street agents
I think it's very telling he does something like that while praising Jimbo and aggy in general..

Just shows which staff and program is willing to play his games and which arent.
  • Like 1

(The latest zzzz ... would be more like it.)

Mike at Night: The latest buzz on staff movement and recruiting

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

— As Bruce Feldman of The Athletic reported earlier, Brandon Harris is the top target for Stan Drayton's Director of Player Personnel job at Temple. It makes a lot of sense considering the relationship the two had as Harris came up working for Drayton as an assistant running back coach before moving into the Director of Recruiting role. I checked with some industry sources, and it sounds like the door isn't closed for Texas as of earlier today. Harris is negotiating, and more money could keep him in Austin where he's entrenched and more familiar with the recruiting territory. If Harris does go, we will have a list of candidates that would make sense to replace him, but I'm intrigued to see what Steve Sarkisian does with that spot. It isn't even a given he would replace the slot and could simply just re-work the department or fill another role.

— I haven't heard a lot today when it comes to the open wide receiver job. Most of the noise around Pittsburgh wide receiver coach Brennan Marion has died down today, but I don't get the feeling he's out of the race for the job. If Sark follows the model he did when he hired Tashard Choice, it could come out of nowhere. In fact, I was very impressed when it came to Choice's hiring how there was almost no noise around it until the decision was made. In fact, when it comes to a lot of information, the lid on Moncrief has been tighter in recent weeks. As of now, I haven't heard of any other names other than Marion, but that could definitely be by design.

— I did some checking on UTEP transfer wide receiver Jacob Cowing. I'm hoping to connect with him later in the week regarding his transfer plans, but as of now, his options are wide open. While it wouldn't be out of the question for Texas to engage with Cowing right now, I'd think Sark would want a wide receiver coach in place to at least have an opinion on a kid he'd be coaching. In 2021, Cowing went for over 1350 yards and 7 touchdowns for the Miners.

— It's definitely something I'm still checking into, but I get the vibe there are still some signs of life with Texas and four-star Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco offensive lineman Earnest Greene. My pick is still on Georgia to land the west coast offensive lineman, but Texas remains alive in the race and a big part of that is their ability for Greene to play tackle in the offense. We will be down in San Antonio two weeks from now when Greene makes his decision at the All-American Bowl and we will be able to get a better idea while we're around him there.

6 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Dude we miss you on twitter.... All the aggy trolls think they scared you off. LOL

6 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Dude we miss you on twitter.... All the aggy trolls think they scared you off. LOL

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I sent you a message. My account was suspended. I’ll probably make another account in the next few days. 

I been meaning to ask you why I haven't seen your tweets on my twitter feed since September. What did you get suspended for?

22 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike Roach

— As Bruce Feldman of The Athletic reported earlier, Brandon Harris is the top target for Stan Drayton's Director of Player Personnel job at Temple. It makes a lot of sense considering the relationship the two had as Harris came up working for Drayton as an assistant running back coach before moving into the Director of Recruiting role. I checked with some industry sources, and it sounds like the door isn't closed for Texas as of earlier today. Harris is negotiating, and more money could keep him in Austin where he's entrenched and more familiar with the recruiting territory. If Harris does go, we will have a list of candidates that would make sense to replace him, but I'm intrigued to see what Steve Sarkisian does with that spot. It isn't even a given he would replace the slot and could simply just re-work the department or fill another role.

— I haven't heard a lot today when it comes to the open wide receiver job. Most of the noise around Pittsburgh wide receiver coach Brennan Marion has died down today, but I don't get the feeling he's out of the race for the job. If Sark follows the model he did when he hired Tashard Choice, it could come out of nowhere. In fact, I was very impressed when it came to Choice's hiring how there was almost no noise around it until the decision was made. In fact, when it comes to a lot of information, the lid on Moncrief has been tighter in recent weeks. As of now, I haven't heard of any other names other than Marion, but that could definitely be by design.

— I did some checking on UTEP transfer wide receiver Jacob Cowing. I'm hoping to connect with him later in the week regarding his transfer plans, but as of now, his options are wide open. While it wouldn't be out of the question for Texas to engage with Cowing right now, I'd think Sark would want a wide receiver coach in place to at least have an opinion on a kid he'd be coaching. In 2021, Cowing went for over 1350 yards and 7 touchdowns for the Miners.

— It's definitely something I'm still checking into, but I get the vibe there are still some signs of life with Texas and four-star Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco offensive lineman Earnest Greene. My pick is still on Georgia to land the west coast offensive lineman, but Texas remains alive in the race and a big part of that is their ability for Greene to play tackle in the offense. We will be down in San Antonio two weeks from now when Greene makes his decision at the All-American Bowl and we will be able to get a better idea while we're around him there.

I'm confused. Did Greene not sign with somebody already? There's no race unless I'm mistaken.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

I know Mike has an article quota, but didn’t Greene already sign during the early period and delay only his announcement?  Meaning that the coaches literally cannot talk to him if he signed with Georgia.  If Texas isn’t communicating with Greene, there’s nothing “alive” in this recruitment.  This isn’t a Schrödinger’s cat situation.

8 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I'm confused. Did Greene not sign with somebody already? There's no race unless I'm mistaken.

7 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

I know Mike has an article quota, but didn’t Greene already sign during the early period and delay only his announcement?  Meaning that the coaches literally cannot talk to him if he signed with Georgia.  If Texas isn’t communicating with Greene, there’s nothing “alive” in this recruitment.  This isn’t a Schrödinger’s cat situation.

Y'all need to understand that Roach is also still reporting on the Devon Campbell recruiting battle. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Y'all need to understand that Roach is also still reporting on the Devon Campbell recruiting battle. 

Right. Forgot who was reporting. It's gonna be a heated battle for Campbell's and Greene's signatures until they're enshrined in Canton or die of old age. 

Edited by Bevo14

BobbyBurton

Staff member

4 minutes ago

New

Add bookmark

Every year I rank Texas signees from top to bottom.

To be clear, these are my personal rankings.

They will always be different than those of other staff members here at IT, as well as the various ranking services. They will also always be far from perfect.

I’ve hit on some in the past and missed on others, but at least it gives you a glimpse of how I see the class.

So here goes…

24. LB, Trevell Johnson, 6-0, 195, Arlington Martin
23. RB, Jaydon Blue, 5-9, 205, Klein Cain
22. DL, Zach Swanson, 6-4, 255, Phoenix Brophy Prep
21. OL, Malik Agbo, 6-5, 329, Federal Way Todd Beamer, Wash.
20. QB, Maalik Murphy, 6-5, 232, Gardena Serra, Calif.
19. DL, Derrick Brown, 6-3, 208, Texarkana
18. DB, Austin Jordan, DB, 6-0, 185, Denton Ryan
17. OL, Connor Robertson, 6-4, 296, Austin Westlake
16. DL, Justice Finkley, 6-2, 255, Hewitt-Trussvile, Ala.
15. DB, Xavion Brice, 6-1, 175, Arlington Seguin
14. DL, J’Mond Tapp, 6-4, 249, Donaldsonville
13. OL, Cole Hutson, 6-5, 315, Frisco
12. DB, Jaylon Guilbeau, 6-0, 175, Port Arthur Memorial
11. DL, Aaron Bryant, 6-3, 290, Southaven, Miss.
10. WR/ATH, Savion Red, 5-11, 210, Grand Prarie
9. DL, Kris Ross, 6-3, 280, Houston North Shore
8. OL, Neto Umeozulu, 6-4, 285, Allen
7. DL, Jaray Bledsoe, 6-4, 270, Marlin
6. WR, Brenen Thompson, 5-10, 165, Spearman
5. DB, Terrance Brooks, 6-0, 185, Little Elm
4. DE, Ethan Burke, 6-7, 230, Austin Westlake
3. OL, Cam Williams, 6-5, 375, Duncanville
2. OL, Kelvin Banks, 6-5, 315, Humble Summer Creek
1. S, BJ Allen, 6-0, 180, Aledo

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

No shit.  That list is crazy.

Looks like he wants to make some very bold projections and if they hit, he’ll remind everyone about them.  If he misses, nobody will ever remember he made the prediction. 

That's not really Bobby's style.  He spoke a couple of posts later about what a shitty job he did a couple of years ago when he had Lil'Jordan as the lowest rated prospect in his class.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That's not really Bobby's style.  He spoke a couple of posts later about what a shitty job he did a couple of years ago when he had Lil'Jordan as the lowest rated prospect in his class.

I like Bobby and I’m just speculating but that list goes against the norm to say the least.  Burke at #4?  I like the take but that seems nuts. 

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Agreed. Any chance he offered some commentary on any of the players he ranked for this class?

4 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

I like Bobby and I’m just speculating but that list goes against the norm to say the least.  Burke at #4?  I like the take but that seems nuts. 

Corona distorted the cycle and the rankings likely have more variability in them than most across all of the recruiting sites. Burke is a guy that would have been covered much earlier in a normal cycle. 

The question is whether he sees Burke at #4 as an indictment on the class. It also depends on where he sees All-conference, starters, contributors and others being laid out. That’s really the analysis he should be providing giving he probably didn’t watch most of these kids himself to make a true list. Having Blue and Murphy at those two positions would make me think he hates this class. If he says otherwise, he is trying to have it both ways. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting