2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

5 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Who was the livestreamer/chaser going wild in Lake Charles during the hurricanes? Will he be covering the event. 

On a more morbid note, is the danger to NO primarily surge?  And if surge, is the city better protected after Katrina?

I can answer the second part. 

image.gif.9c21cda76cfd4059b7452b73fe357e50.gif

6 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

On a more morbid note, is the danger to NO primarily surge?  And if surge, is the city better protected after Katrina?

Wind is gonna be real bad for them also. If this thing slides 20 miles farther East that puts the eastern eyewall right on top of them. Absolute worst area of a Category 4 buzzsaw, the only silver lining is that it’s trucking at 15mph and will rip through and be gone quickly.

Baton Rouge is in a real bad spot as well. Direct hit if it stays on its current path.

• Hook 'Em 1

Who was the livestreamer/chaser going wild in Lake Charles during the hurricanes? Will he be covering the event. 

If Louisiana history holds after the hurricane hits and the people of NO up through Baton Rouge realize that all of the monies that had been directed towards improvements/defense vs storm surge have instead been spent on Pappy Van Winkle, Boudin & Strippers and what money is left is in the offshore accounts of numerous city council members, mayors and state senators there will be a couple of show trials with slap on the wrists and the cycle of corruption will begin anew.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m fairly confident in the levees given the backlash after Katrina. The biggest danger is flooding. In 2017 severe rainstorms uncovered significant problems with SW&B’s drainage system, and as you’d expect the city hasn’t done much to alleviate the problem on its own. Latoya basically shrugged and said, “This is a city that floods”, and now you’ll get a nice tweet letting you know you can park your car on the neutral ground. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

I’m fairly confident in the levees given the backlash after Katrina. The biggest danger is flooding. In 2017 severe rainstorms uncovered significant problems with SW&B’s drainage system, and as you’d expect the city hasn’t done much to alleviate the problem on its own. Latoya basically shrugged and said, “This is a city that floods”, and now you’ll get a nice tweet letting you know you can park your car on the neutral ground. 

I think they also added a few feet to the flood gates, which I believe are effective for storm surges up to 16 ft.  But NOLA is a disaster of a place to build a city, it's got 1,000 things which normally say, "don't build here" (sunken ground, higher bodies of water almost 360° around, a river that has to be massively rigged to keep flowing (it wants to go down the Atchafalaya basin, not through NOLA), etc.  So who knows what way they'll get overwhelmed from this?

The projections for this storm's path are worse than Katrina.  Katrina actually went up east of NOLA, sparing it of the worst of the winds especially.  This one right now puts it in the #1 bowling pin path.  I really, really hope it wobbles, because I think the damage will be worse if not.

I think they also added a few feet to the flood gates, which I believe are effective for storm surges up to 16 ft.  But NOLA is a disaster of a place to build a city, it's got 1,000 things which normally say, "don't build here" (sunken ground, higher bodies of water almost 360° around, a river that has to be massively rigged to keep flowing (it wants to go down the Atchafalaya basin, not through NOLA), etc.  So who knows what way they'll get overwhelmed from this?

The projections for this storm's path are worse than Katrina.  Katrina actually went up east of NOLA, sparing it of the worst of the winds especially.  This one right now puts it in the #1 bowling pin path.  I really, really hope it wobbles, because I think the damage will be worse if not.

Katrina wobbled at the last second right?

Godspeed, New Orleans.

26 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Wind damage right, not total damage right?

I think both.  People were expecting the Superdome to be ripped apart with Katrina, but it held... because the worst winds were 25 miles to the E.
In this case, I think storm surge will be about the same, even worse, if these places are in the path longer... and the winds could be worse.

Of course it takes a lot of stuff lining up just right to sustain a Cat 4 or even high 3, so the odds are it could weaken or otherwise not be as bad.  I'm not saying it will be, I'm saying it has the potential to be worse than Katrina, up into the Camille range of devastation.  Hope not.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

So I knew this pic existed. It was not until today that I learned there was a song that accompanied it, and was actually worse than the pic.  JFC. 

The Icy Hot Stuntaz Name Generator is still in operation.

Icy Hot Stuntaz Name Generator

My Icy Hot Stuntaz name is Killa Glock.

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Katrina wobbled at the last second right?

Godspeed, New Orleans.

Yeah Katrina wobbled east and actually made landfall east of NOLA.  In fact,the west side of the hurricane fell apart shortly after landfall.

Because of the flooding, 95% of laypeople only think of the damage that NOLA suffered when they think of Katrina.  But many communities in Mississippi were just obliterated.

?u=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-eGamPNKC2xc%2FUnyFz8Hi61I%2FAAAAAAAAGFo%2FC3vpUSMylHk%2Fs1600%2FKatgif_anim2_lg.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This guy should adopt the style of the guy that yells the weather report. It would liven up the news. 

You should go check out Diamond at Oppenheimer Ranch Project. It is pretty fucking funny when he does an AMA and someone asks him a pedantic question. He goes into Gordon Ramsay mode frequently.

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I feel like the models have been sliding east for the past 36 hrs until this AM.

seems like theyve slid a tad west or centered on baton rouge

Houma is about to get wiped. And there are a lot more people in that area than there were just 10 years ago.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I think both.  People were expecting the Superdome to be ripped apart with Katrina, but it held... because the worst winds were 25 miles to the E.
In this case, I think storm surge will be about the same, even worse, if these places are in the path longer... and the winds could be worse.

Of course it takes a lot of stuff lining up just right to sustain a Cat 4 or even high 3, so the odds are it could weaken or otherwise not be as bad.  I'm not saying it will be, I'm saying it has the potential to be worse than Katrina, up into the Camille range of devastation.  Hope not.

Well, to be fair, the Dome didn’t really hold - the top ripped open, making it more of a hellhole than it already was. 

Katrina in New Orleans was about the levee failures. I’d wager most deaths were from folks returning home after the storm passed - Lakeview and the Lower Ninth, particularly - and were surprised from the rapidly rising floodwater from Lake Pontchartrain following the 17th Street and Industrial Canals, respectively. I’m not super worried about the levees given the massive scrutiny on the Army Corps of Engineers. With SW&B’s utter failure to fix the drainage system, however, I think there’ll be significant flooding, like there usually is, in Mid-City, Gentilly, Broadmoor etc. Also really sucks for the brand new Four Seasons in the WTC - hope they don’t take any wind damage. 

As others have mentioned, the coastal parishes are about to get fucked. Wonder how much longer Grand Isle holds on. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1