2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

36 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Got to catch up with a buddy last night who just got his first P5 analyst gig. He was a walk on for us and would give his left nut to help Texas get better. He completely went off on Sark and your word of incompetence best summarizes his thoughts. Its fucking depressing. He says its a pretty common opinion in their world that Sark is out of his depth defensively. He says Patterson is heading our way (doesnt know in what capacity) and should make a difference, but he basically thinks Sark is a joke outside of being an OC and Patterson knows it because its common knowledge. He doesnt expect them to get along very well but thinks its better than letting Sark continue to fuck it up. 

He also thinks Kelly was a laughably bad hire at LSU, and cant believe Jimbo hired Durkin who he expects to be a disaster. He said a lot of people in that community were surprised Napier didnt get the LSU gig. 

So your buddy’s big insight was that our defense was poorly coached this year? Is that news?

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah hiring the right assistants, and then managing those coaches is more critical.  Not really sure that Dabo or Mack know much about defenses either...

Dabo doesn’t know much about anything. I liked the PK hire, but I wonder if he thrives in a set culture and struggles setting his own. If anyone can teach Pk to be be a raging prick, it is Gary Patterson 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Got to catch up with a buddy last night who just got his first P5 analyst gig. He was a walk on for us and would give his left nut to help Texas get better. He completely went off on Sark and your word of incompetence best summarizes his thoughts. Its fucking depressing. He says its a pretty common opinion in their world that Sark is out of his depth defensively. He says Patterson is heading our way (doesnt know in what capacity) and should make a difference, but he basically thinks Sark is a joke outside of being an OC and Patterson knows it because its common knowledge. He doesnt expect them to get along very well but thinks its better than letting Sark continue to fuck it up. 

He also thinks Kelly was a laughably bad hire at LSU, and cant believe Jimbo hired Durkin who he expects to be a disaster. He said a lot of people in that community were surprised Napier didnt get the LSU gig. 

Nice summation of recently discussed shit and opinions on this thread.

Lot of handwringing going on about Neyor, and that’s expected. 

We’ve landed 2 transfers so far this cycle, and both will most likely be starters. Still months left to sign portal players. If we end up whiffing on WR, then feel free to berate the staff. Do they have eyes on a “player to be named” that hasn’t hit the portal yet? Who knows? If they land a WR from the portal better than Neyor, will you give them credit? Probably not. You’ll still find a way to rationalize stars aligning to where the player just fell to them. 

Pumpers will pump and bitchers will bitch. Stay thirsty, my friends

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Honest question - what is the typical role of a HC on their non-specialty side of the ball?

Obviously hiring the staff and overall culture. I guess practice structure. No idea how much involvement in overall scheme and Xs/Os but it seems like that’s an area Sark shouldn’t really need to be too involved in.

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

What's your buddy's Surly handle?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

We’ve landed 2 transfers so far this cycle, and both will most likely be starters. Still months left to sign portal players. If we end up whiffing on WR, then feel free to berate the staff. Do they have eyes on a “player to be named” that hasn’t hit the portal yet? Who knows? If they land a WR from the portal better than Neyor, will you give them credit? Probably not. You’ll still find a way to rationalize stars aligning to where the player just fell to them. 

Stay oblivious Mr. Trust The Coaches.

This board has given the staff credit for every good thing they've accomplished lately. They had help but they still could have blown it (Herman would have) and everyone has said as much. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Stay oblivious Mr. Trust The Coaches.

This board has given the staff credit for every good thing they've accomplished lately. They had help but they still could have blown it (Herman would have) and everyone has said as much. 

The blind spots in recruiting are a bit puzzling. Yes, we closed strong and had lots of help, but next year we will be in the LSU, OU, and USC first year bumps. Unless Nick Saban retires at the end of the year next year, I don't see how we can expect things to fall our way like that again. I believe that the defense and offense will both be vastly improved this year, and that should translate to a respectable record to build on, but it feels like we have happy ears on some of these guys. 

54 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

You’re not paying attention. People here aren’t responding to us not getting Neyor nearly as much as we are responding to the staff literally telling everyone they’ve got Neyor sewn up and then him going elsewhere. That’s where the criticism is coming from. And before it happened with Neyor, it happened with no shit about 6-8 recruits this fucking cycle, so let’s not pretend this isn’t a trend, or their repeated whiffs while thinking certain kids were coming here isn’t indicative they can’t read a recruitment. Or that there is a Problem with the support staff…which was outlined and bemoaned with Brandon Harris for about 3 weeks, right before he was retained. 

but yes, you’ve got it all figured out with your simplistic “haters gonna hate the coaches” bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Focht Up said:

I got to catch up with a buddy last night.   He's  very smart.   He said if you're reading a post on a message board that starts out with "i got to catch up with a buddy last night " don't pay much attention to it. 

Who just got his first P5 analyst job…..   I wouldn’t take his word as being 100%, it his opinion and that’s his job, that he just got…

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Jeez, you guys.  Talk about killing the messenger.

I will say @Barbacoa, it does come off as your analyst friend considers himself a little superior to pretty much every other coach referenced in your post.  Did he mention anything favorable in reference to the Horns?

His analyst friend? One Thomas Bartholomew Herman. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

In this new era, is there any better barometer for a program’s status/trajectory than comparing portals out vs portals in?  This is encouraging when looking at Texas thus far.  We haven’t lost anybody worth jack shit to the portal, while we’ve secured at least 2 very highly thought of players.  

9 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

is there any better barometer for a program’s status/trajectory than comparing portals out vs portals in?

Yeah - winning?  Titles?  (And if 3rd stringers at Ohio State or Bama portal out because they are seen as starter caliber at other programs, that's a sign of a program in decline?)

11 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

We haven’t lost anybody worth jack shit to the portal

Maybe one reason is we don't have that many players worth jack shit?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

In this new era, is there any better barometer for a program’s status/trajectory than comparing portals out vs portals in?  This is encouraging when looking at Texas thus far.  We haven’t lost anybody worth jack shit to the portal, while we’ve secured at least 2 very highly thought of players.  

I would have liked to have kept Terrance Cooks. 

• Hook 'Em 5

33 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Yeah - winning?  Titles?  (And if 3rd stringers at Ohio State or Bama portal out because they are seen as starter caliber at other programs, that's a sign of a program in decline?)

Maybe one reason is we don't have that many players worth jack shit?

Winning and titles might be a better gauge of status, but I think portal activity would be a better signal for the programs trajectory.  If Bama suddenly lost a bunch of their best players to the portal without gaining any from outside, I’d say that would be a pretty strong indictment of the programs direction.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Honestly, this isn’t surprising. When Sark was hired, I assumed the ceiling would be set by the defensive hires. He calls plays, he recruits, figured it was expected the defense would operate in its own little fiefdom. That said it is a bit annoying that the powers that be didn’t really hammer him on the defensive side of the ball. #1 reason good coordinators fail is the blind spot on the other side of the ball

Yeah, Mack wasn't some genius on either side of the ball, either. And I knew ex-players including an analyst and a grad assistant who early on thought he would never win jack shit at Texas. They didn't think that a coach who was weak with X's and O's could win. For at least awhile, those guys were wrong. You can be a good manager and win.

I can't get a read on Sark as a manager - He can certainly run an offense - and the players seem to like him. Will they work hard for him and help him make smart decisions? Will he hire the right guys on defense and/or help PK get things fixed. His use of Fat Pat will be interesting and will make or break Sark's career at Texas. I'm not a big fan of how other managers view and react to additional oversight - think Office Space. I would like to hear about examples of it working out, though. Maybe it is just a short term thing that Sark will use to help him make the right decision or confirm a decision that he has already made.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

The Terrance Cooks who couldn’t get playing time in a LB unit that resembled an aborted fetus?

Perhaps the entire defense resembled an aborted fetus because they kept playing guys like Brockermeyer and Jett bush over taking lumps with cooks or Alfred Collins. But yes, blame the playing time on the player. Tom Herman didn’t play Bijan Robinson. Clearly it’s because he couldn’t contribute and not because coaches can be wildly fallible. 

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

The Terrance Cooks who couldn’t get playing time in a LB unit that resembled an aborted fetus?

That may not be the best argument considering Ford couldn't get on the field until Brock and Overshown were injured. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

He says its a pretty common opinion in their world that Sark is out of his depth defensively. 

Thank you for sharing, this is a good datapoint if we’re back on the carousel in 4 years.  As others have said, it isn’t necessary for a successful coach to be an expert at all facets of the game if there are resources to support those weaknesses. 

There’s a ton of reasons to be optimistic about the direction of the program—finally bringing in a top QB, having a quality OL coach, stellar recent position coach hires — but frankly the Patterson hire makes me much more optimistic about the program because it indicates that the powers that be aren’t going to defer to a “trust the corches they forgot more than you ever know etc.” mindset.  Defense and program logistics are a weak point, so push to bring in an established but still sweaty expert to consult and provide oversight.  It looks like we’ve finally passed the phase of giving Charlie Strong and Tom Herman carte blanche to run a program like a gm without proving it first.

All this positivity can (rightfully) be shot down with “5-7 and Kansas,” and our infrastructure still lags behind those of the other top programs, but there’s definitely enough progress to think the next few years won’t be a waste.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fair enough if that was a regurgitation, I just thought it was interesting that he confirmed Patterson was coming and that he doesn’t think it will go well. He has a good mentor who he gets a lot of this stuff from, and I think it’s worth mentioning other coaches think Sark is out of his depth defensively. His whole point was it’s obvious our defense needs to be regeared and Sark couldn’t figure it out, now he gets to deal with Patterson. That doesn’t exactly bode well for Sark’s future here. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Fair enough if that was a regurgitation, I just thought it was interesting that he confirmed Patterson was coming and that he doesn’t think it will go well. He has a good mentor who he gets a lot of this stuff from, and I think it’s worth mentioning other coaches think Sark is out of his depth defensively. His whole point was it’s obvious our defense needs to be regeared and Sark couldn’t figure it out, now he gets to deal with Patterson. That doesn’t exactly bode well for Sark’s future here. 

I appreciate the post. It’s interesting to hear what someone inside is seeing.

If a coach doesn’t know how to deal with the side of the ball where they aren’t an expert, that does demonstrate a big competence gap. A lot of great coaches are only experts on one side of the ball, but know how to manage in a way to figure out how to solve problems. If he doesn’t, it possibly indicates a bigger competency issue. Just like any executive has to effectively manage functions they may not have done personally. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Well if Patterson isn't Sark's decision, Sark might as well move on. Meddling and second guessing by the AD can only hurt the program. There is zero chance that Sark can be successful with that shit going on behind his back in his first year as coach.

Edited by Bevo

27 minutes ago, Viper said:

That may not be the best argument considering Ford couldn't get on the field until Brock and Overshown were injured. 

All of them played. Ford played in every game. Blackwell played more than Cooks. The answer could simply be, because he was a talented true freshmen, whose best season are ahead of him. It’s not like it is unusual for a true freshmen ILB, not to get significant time. He is was 6’2” and 218 pounds. Could be coaching stupidity, but trying to say a guy didn’t play as a freshmen so he sucks, is just a bad fucking take

• Hook 'Em 4

Perhaps the entire defense resembled an aborted fetus because they kept playing guys like Brockermeyer and Jett bush over taking lumps with cooks or Alfred Collins. But yes, blame the playing time on the player. Tom Herman didn’t play Bijan Robinson. Clearly it’s because he couldn’t contribute and not because coaches can be wildly fallible. 

I don’t know about Cooks but this is a bit bullshit regarding Collins and Bush. On defense, everyone that played had freaking problems. Much of them same shit, different play, different game.

Collins played approaching twice the number of plays that Bush did. He had 2 sacks to 1. He had 5 TFLs to 3.5. Collins had no, none, zero, zilch sacks since OU. Hell Bush actually drew the unicorn holding flag versus OU.

Just as a comparison from Alabama. Yes, I know that’s not exactly comparable for several reasons. Dallas Turner had 325% more sacks than Collins. On only 40 more pass rush attempts.

I’m defending Bush to the extent that assholes on here continue to make it about him. It’s not and shouldn’t be.

Here’s a word to Collins and the narrative. He doesn’t and hasn’t produced to the extent that there should be no complaints about his playing time or lack of. And if it’s a matter of half assing it in practice, then maybe get after it so you can produce something worth a shit on the field. I don’t know if his practice habits are any good or not, but there’s something there. Or if he won’t do shit as he’s asked to do, then do it. His production like many others is lacking. Who knows maybe if he did as told, he might make a big play at some point.

If it’s largely scheme, then it’s scheme for everyone so I don’t get why we single out dudes other than being assholes.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You’re not paying attention. People here aren’t responding to us not getting Neyor nearly as much as we are responding to the staff literally telling everyone they’ve got Neyor sewn up and then him going elsewhere. That’s where the criticism is coming from. And before it happened with Neyor, it happened with no shit about 6-8 recruits this fucking cycle, so let’s not pretend this isn’t a trend, or their repeated whiffs while thinking certain kids were coming here isn’t indicative they can’t read a recruitment. Or that there is a Problem with the support staff…which was outlined and bemoaned with Brandon Harris for about 3 weeks, right before he was retained. 

but yes, you’ve got it all figured out with your simplistic “haters gonna hate the coaches” bullshit. 

Not sure what you mean here. 

Are you saying we just be mad because we didn't get Neyor and the 6-8 other recruits,  or be mad because the staff mislead us. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)