Tell me what's happening in Afganistan (no CR. Can't we all just get along?)

Parliament

8 hours ago, Homercles said:

TheDrive seems to think it was one of those newer low-collateral Ginsu missiles fired from a Reaper

image.jpeg.ffd16d34d09144dd0cbe61ec92b273b2.jpeg

That’ll fuck your day up

Apparently used in Syria to take out AQ second in command (2017) according to the Drive - 

Spoiler

Looks like one of the blades is still visible inside the vehicle. (again, pic is from 2017 - not 2021).

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/34146/this-is-our-best-look-yet-at-the-shadowy-hellfire-missile-with-pop-out-sword-blades

Edited by washparkhorn
open parenthesis

On 8/27/2021 at 5:40 PM, slorch said:

This. The Marine Corps has no medical personnel.  Corpsmen are badasses. One if the servicemen depicted in the Okinawa Mt Suribachi flag raising was a Corpsman.  Semper Fidelis. 

Correction: Mt Suribachi is at Iwo Jima.

From the BBC. 

0:24
Drone strike eliminated airport threat - US
The US says its drone strike in Kabul today was successful in "eliminating an imminent" threat to the airport, where evacuations are winding down.

Capt Bill Urban of US Central Command said he was "confident" that the target, a vehicle carrying at least one person associated with IS-K and a "substantial amount of explosive material", was destroyed.

"We are assessing the possibilities of civilian casualties, though we have no indications at this time," he said.

"We remain vigilant for potential future threats.”

On 8/27/2021 at 5:40 PM, slorch said:

This. The Marine Corps has no medical personnel.  Corpsmen are badasses. One if the servicemen depicted in the Okinawa Mt Suribachi flag raising was a Corpsman.  Semper Fidelis. 

Yes they are. Had the pleasure of working with many.

My SCUBA school dive buddy was a Corpsman that was assigned to a Recon platoon.  Him and the five Marines in our dive class had just rotated out of Beirut. We were in the latter part of class when the Marine's barracks building was blown up there. Needless to say, but many of their friends were killed.

The book Flags of our Fathers (and later Film by Clint Eastwood) by James Bradley, was written about his father John Bradley (Navy Corpsman) that was one of the second flag (arguably the most iconic image of WWII) raisers over Iwo. The pic was of course the image used for the basis of the Marine Corp Monument in DC (if you have never seen or been to the one in DC, there is also a smaller version of it at the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen).

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

From the BBC. 

0:24
Drone strike eliminated airport threat - US
The US says its drone strike in Kabul today was successful in "eliminating an imminent" threat to the airport, where evacuations are winding down.

Capt Bill Urban of US Central Command said he was "confident" that the target, a vehicle carrying at least one person associated with IS-K and a "substantial amount of explosive material", was destroyed.

"We are assessing the possibilities of civilian casualties, though we have no indications at this time," he said.

"We remain vigilant for potential future threats.”

Looks like it was not the success we initially thought  

DoD is assessing reports of Afgan civilian family casualties during US missile attack on alleged suicide bombers.

https://www.centcom.mil/MEDIA/STATEMENTS/Statements-View/Article/2756293/update-us-central-command-statement-on-defensive-strike-in-kabul/

Statement | Aug. 29, 2021

UPDATE: U.S. Central Command statement on defensive strike in Kabul

By U.S. Central Command Public Affairs U.S. Central Command Communication Integration

TAMPA, Fla.  –  

We are aware of reports of civilian casualties following our strike on a vehicle in Kabul today.

We are still assessing the results of this strike, which we know disrupted an imminent ISIS-K threat to the airport. We know that there were substantial and powerful subsequent explosions resulting from the destruction of the vehicle, indicating a large amount of explosive material inside that may have caused additional casualties. It is unclear what may have happened, and we are investigating further.

We would be deeply saddened by any potential loss of innocent life.

- Capt. Bill Urban, USN, U.S. Central Command Spokesman

33 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

DoD is assessing reports of Afgan civilian family casualties during US missile attack on alleged suicide bombers.

https://www.centcom.mil/MEDIA/STATEMENTS/Statements-View/Article/2756293/update-us-central-command-statement-on-defensive-strike-in-kabul/

Kinda looking like that biometric data was compromised and used against us.    Splendid.  

16 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Yes they are. Had the pleasure of working with many.

My SCUBA school dive buddy was a Corpsman that was assigned to a Recon platoon.  Him and the five Marines in our dive class had just rotated out of Beirut. We were in the latter part of class when the Marine's barracks building was blown up there. Needless to say, but many of their friends were killed.

The book Flags of our Fathers (and later Film by Clint Eastwood) by James Bradley, was written about his father John Bradley (Navy Corpsman) that was one of the second flag (arguably the most iconic image of WWII) raisers over Iwo. The pic was of course the image used for the basis of the Marine Corp Monument in DC (if you have never seen or been to the one in DC, there is also a smaller version of it at the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen).

Slight correction… the one on display at MMA in Harlingen is actually the mold used for casting the bronze memorial and so is slightly bigger than the real one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I get that it's not worth continued loss of life to get the vast majority of that equipment out of there.  But wouldn't the four C-130's sort of suggest to the casual observer, that they could fly themselves out of there?  Unless they were purposely disabled on the way out?  

I would watch a documentary about the training mishaps that occur as the Taliban tries to learn how to fly/drive half that shit . 

I also find it curious that we're leaving behind 164+ fixed wing and rotor aircraft, and over 73,000 myriad vehicles.  But we're taking every single drone with us.  

Edited by Lobo

22 hours ago, slorch said:

Yeah, probably 43 of those radios work.

The rest are just for parts.

Whistling past the graveyard, and I hope your right.  BUT.....Coordinated insurgents using equipment ANA soldiers have been training to use and maintain, like advanced coms gear, rifles with optics, and especially nods, should scare the shit our of everyone.  They have hundreds of millions as well.  I think they could hire a few people to help them learn how to maintain gear.

If the muje were able to maintain and operate advanced Stinger platforms in the 80's, I think they can leverage ANA training to keep radios and nods working.  

9 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Lol, we gotta moderate jokes about expanding broadheads and how the government stole their ideas for their fancy missiles now?

No, the thread got put in super moderated mode because dipshits couldn't keep from injecting implicit and explicit political commentary into a news thread.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DDD Dad said:

No, the thread got put in super moderated mode because dipshits couldn't keep from injecting implicit and explicit political commentary into a news thread.

i didn't do it, but i support it. yall want strictly news? you get it. you want to talk about policy, go to the FUCKING POLITICS BOARD. jesus shit dicks.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Apparently you're wrong. I mean, this post has to be approved, as did yours. Not sure how you can claim otherwise.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

I would watch a documentary about the training mishaps that occur as the Taliban tries to learn how to fly/drive half that shit . 

Look who just got the gig running Taliban fundraising. Put some Benny Hill music over that and it would sell.

On 8/29/2021 at 9:56 AM, Muy Frio said:

35 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I hope they spiked the engine blocks at least.

Nope - This list, IMO (I can't find a definitive source), is what the US Armed Forces had trained with the Afgani Army and the idea was that the would utilize this equipment to sustain the country's defense forces. 
That plan, and the execution thereof were not well thought out and here we are today (trying to not make a political commentary) 

Just found this article about the Afghani Army - which partially explains the collapse (this edit was after approval of the post - in case it is not proper to include)

https://www.ft.com/content/5a35e66f-ccf1-4625-a248-3c425b77a4e8

Don’t blame the Afghan army for what’s happening now

The least Joe Biden could do is pay tribute to the sacrifices of the forces who fought alongside the US
Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.
https://www.ft.com/content/5a35e66f-ccf1-4625-a248-3c425b77a4e8

The writer completed three tours of duty in Afghanistan as a British infantry officer in the Royal Gurkha Rifles After the suicide bombing at Kabul airport that killed at least 13 US service members and more than 100 Afghan civilians, President Joe Biden stood by his rationale for withdrawing: “I have never been of the view that we should be sacrificing American lives to try to establish a democratic government in Afghanistan.” Once the last US troops depart by Tuesday, the world’s attention will turn to other matters. Biden’s story may well harden into the first draft of history. He was right to withdraw, though he botched the execution, the story would go. But this is too simplistic. First and foremost, it overlooks the sacrifices of the Afghan forces since the Nato combat mission ended in 2014. From 2001 to 2014 the Afghan forces suffered 14,000 dead, but from 2015 to 2020 an estimated 45,000 were killed. While the US has suffered just under 2,500 combat deaths in Afghanistan since 2001, they lost 93 servicemen from 2015 to 2020. The Kabul airport casualties were the first US combat deaths in Afghanistan since February 2020. These casualty figures undermine the most prominent reason Biden has given for the withdrawal. As he put it on August 16, the day after Kabul fell: “American troops cannot and should not be fighting in a war and dying in a war that Afghan forces are not willing to fight for themselves.” One can only imagine the indignation of the families of the 59,000 dead Afghan soldiers and police upon hearing those words. True, the Afghan army ultimately collapsed. But this was not fundamentally a case of a lack of willingness to fight. Rather, the army had already been badly depleted by casualties. With the exception of its special forces, its morale plummeted when western logistical and military back-up was suddenly withdrawn, leaving forces spread widely, isolated and unable to move casualties out and supplies forward. Washington is entitled to blame the

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Whistling past the graveyard, and I hope your right.  BUT.....Coordinated insurgents using equipment ANA soldiers have been training to use and maintain, like advanced coms gear, rifles with optics, and especially nods, should scare the shit our of everyone.  They have hundreds of millions as well.  I think they could hire a few people to help them learn how to maintain gear.

If the muje were able to maintain and operate advanced Stinger platforms in the 80's, I think they can leverage ANA training to keep radios and nods working.  

Remember how when they were fighting the Ruskies and we were supplying the Afghanis with TOW rockets and a bunch of people were afraid then that those rockets were going to end up in the wrong hands and back on American soil to shoot down our airliners? I do. 

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Remember how when they were fighting the Ruskies and we were supplying the Afghanis with TOW rockets and a bunch of people were afraid then that those rockets were going to end up in the wrong hands and back on American soil to shoot down our airliners? I do. 

They were Stinger missiles.  

On 8/29/2021 at 8:56 AM, Muy Frio said:

that GAO report totaled the amount of stuff transferred to afghani forces between 2003 and 2016, and doesn't account for things like shit breaking, getting destroyed, getting moved back out, etc.

However, not all of these Humvees found their way into the hands of the Taliban. While it’s unclear how many of these Humvees are now in the hands of the Taliban, it’s not 20,000. Reuters, citing a U.S. official, reported that the “Taliban are believed to control more than 2,000 armored vehicles, including U.S. Humvees.”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/us-taliban-arsenal-military-equipment/

Edited by elfenix
spelling